Why should we NOT start botting? Discuss!

Quote from Huminator

Why would you accuse me of botting? So because you can't do it, for whatever reasons it could be (Stupidity, lack of knowledge/experience etc) People who can do it, are botting and cheating? I guess that logic makes you feel awesome..

You could not be more wrong thou.

The good flippers/snipers/bidders make hundreds of million gold each and every week.

I cant count the number of kids in trade chat that gave me that argument. I guess they are all really smart just like you?

I am only accusing you of not being honest.

Smart like me how? i'm not sure i understand what your trying to say.

I don't consider myself smart. But what your saying is a lie. Pretty much everything you write is bullshit. And the fact you toss false accusations around aswell, just makes you look like a true idiot.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    I understand why you found my posts offensive, but my point still stands. Every other person that is confronted about botting uses the argument of "you dont know how to play the ah lol noob". It's really hard to believe that you made all that cash just from "playing the ah" since there are many people who claim to do just the same. "they are all smart like you" comes from the fact that you say that whoever does not know how to "play the ah" (again a false imaginative concept imo) probably lacks experience or is stupid. Which also basically means that 99.9% of the D3 community are total retards. Nope, not buying it.

And i dont really care that you think that makes me look like a "true idiot". So be it.

What points still stand? All you have posted are false accusations and retarded assumptions. Your a waste of space in this thread.
    Currently played toon:

Profit:
    Typical behavior of a person that tries to either hide something or is in partial / total self denial. The point that still stands is my argument that every other kid uses your story so you are not special. Mr. AH PLAYA you are so sharp!

Quote from Jamoose

Typical behavior of a person that tries to either hide something or is in partial / total self denial. The point that still stands is my argument that every other kid uses your story so you are not special. Mr. AH PLAYA you are so sharp!

Here is a little example of how its done. And i wont exactly call it hard. And it got nada todo with botting.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2n8ngd3.jpg

Your clueless and i wonder who have you "confronted"? Most like your irl friends who play. And my guess is that they are like you, to stupid and unable to get any form of success without cheating.

So your logic is. "If others do something better/faster than you, if they make irl money" They obvious cheat. Because you are a online gamer with an aura of awesomeness.. Right??
    Currently played toon:

Profit:
    Botters are doing better than legit players; AH flippers are doing better than legit players; people that don't even set foot inside the actual game world are doing better than legit players.

The game's fine, stop worrying about it.
    Quote from Huminator

Quote from Jamoose

Here is a little example of how its done. And i wont exactly call it hard. And it got nada todo with botting.

Your clueless and i wonder who have you "confronted"? Most like your irl friends who play. And my guess is that they are like you, to stupid and unable to get any form of success without cheating.

So your logic is. "If others do something better/faster than you, if they make irl money" They obvious cheat. Because you are a online gamer with an aura of awesomeness.. Right??

I do make money off the AH but i do not pretend to be something that i am not. Besides, that photoshopped image proves nothing.

Quote from Jamoose

Quote from Huminator

Quote from Jamoose

I do make money off the AH but i do not pretend to be something that i am not. Besides, that photoshopped image proves nothing.

He doesn't have to give you proof. Either accept it or don't but stop telling him how he's a fraud or botter or whatever he is. It feels like even if he makes a video of sniping and then reselling that's 36 hours long just so we can see the auctions being sold you still wont be convinced, so it's better if you both stop here.
    I'll just post something in regards to the OP question.

It's really hard to come up with a reason convincing enough as to whether you should or should not start botting but i think i can say that if you value d3 as a game that you play to enjoy, you might want to consider the following:

-You could lose interest in actually playing the game really fast, leading to a distorted version of d3 for you to experience. At least until a new major patch comes out.

-Botting is not 100% just lay back and enjoy the incoming stream of cash. You still have to buy cd keys, create accounts, level up characters, gear them up, install the bot and all of the peripherals, monitor the bot for a percentage of the time, restart it every once in a while, update some stuff whenever a patch comes out, etc...

-You will get banned eventually. On at least one of your bots if you are running more than one. This is a controversial topic though since many people report different banning waves, methods and patterns.

-If you think you want to make a living out of it, then think again. Unless you have a serious investment in mind.

-Getting bots to work requires some (quite low) level of understanding in operating systems and scripting. Don't expect to find all of the answers on the web since its a rather controversial topic and information sources are sometimes hard to find. There is at least one forum that i personally know of which has absolutely 100% of the information you need.

I'll stop here. From a moral standpoint i will advise against botting for anyone who still hasn't started.

Edit: This is only relevant to farming bots, not ah bots.

Why should we NOT start botting?

Because most entry-level jobs pay better?
    Quote from proletaria

Why should we NOT start botting?

Because most entry-level jobs pay better?

Fail, botting give much more profit than normal jobs.

My income with botting = 4000 EUR/month, examples for december:

My income with medium-normal jobs in my country = 800-1000 EUR/month

Sorry but RMAH is the best thing in gaming history, thx for profit guys. Also when PVP arrives, I will have my main account without botting safe for legit playing and no risk for ban. D3 is the best game, give me profit/fun and when game content improves in next patches my profit will go higher and my fun playing with my main account also :D

Legit flipping (without botting) as huminator do also give high profit, only needs good niche. I did legit flipping a few months ago but now my profit is higher with botting.
    Presuming there is a significant economic incentive for you to "play" diablo3 as a job, then yes, there is no compelling reason for you not to deliberately violate the TOS.

It is; however, still against the rules. Arbitrary as they may be, you'll be subject to anything blizzard can throw at you. So if the cost of regularly banned account replacement is more than the extra profit over flipping, then why take on the extra overhead cost?
    To be honest if you want to bot you will bot, the reason I and a lot of friends that i know do not bot is because ones you start to bot you cant say i really accomplished this or that, as a matter of fact you can say anything other than i am making X amount of cash a month.... but in reality the purity of the game is gone as soon as you start to bot..
    Quote from Huminator

Quote from Jamoose

wrong, I refer you to my earlier post

Quote from Psychatog

RIP Psychatog#1575, you were a good friend, and made me 3000 USD for minimal effort.... Ban waves are a reason not to bot in D3, at least on your main account, just learned this 2 days ago.

Although I dont care THAT much, my new account already has a 43 Barb while I slept, Should be 60 and doing alkaizer runs within the week.

Further Clarification - I am an avid Diablo universe fan, and I LOVED playing diablo 2, I could play it for 6 months straight and be thoroughly entertained the WHOLE time. Diablo 3 has nothing in comparison, So I bot (no sense in hiding it anymore, as the only account I care about got banned). I WAS botting for 2 reasons: Money and to get my fav character geared and 100 paragon for when something comes out that actually makes this game fun. However, now that my main blizzard account is banned, I am reduced to 1 goal, which is buying as many copies of Diablo 3 as I can and running them through a VPN for maximum value.

Sorry if it hurts the community, but honestly it was just as impossible to get gear in D2 without bots, you know 90% of the stuff you guys get off the AH for so called "good deals" and 90% of your "super smart flipping" is just you buying bot found items (which they are willing to sell cheap just to move inventory)

The only people completely clean of dealing with bots is people that have found all of their own gear / sold items they have found themselves..... I'm guessing thats no one.

Bot items are like shoes from Indian / Chinese workshops, you know a innocent child lost a finger making them, but you still buy those [insert any brand of shoe you've ever bought], because they are like 400$ cheaper... Get over it.
    Well yes, implicit in the illegal action you are taking there is an opportunity cost you have to evaluate: ie. the cost of replacing an account. If you have any kind of emotional attachment to one character or account, this might be much higher risk than the potential payoff; however, I think the case for many botters is that they've washed their hands of the game already (or never intended to become attached to begin with) and the opportunity cost was thusly minimal.

The idea that "some people are just going to bot," is too simplistic. Nobody "just does," anything. As the above posts indicate, economic motivators are chief among the motivations. If you can make money selling shoes out of your basement, but it is arbitrarily illegal, then you'll probably find a way to do it anyhow if you have few other means of realizing that income. This roughly extends into the "it's too hard to get items in this game," line of reasoning too. While it isn't exactly fiat economics, it is a kind income that one desires and there are limited means of acquiring that.

tl;dr: The answer is always supply and demand. The exchange of items (on the AH or third party sites, as in D2) and related scarcity will ultimately drive many (perhaps most) to bot; however, those of us who place a high value on our accounts and characters or simply don't have any economic incentive to pursue that kind of thing in our spare time will not. It isn't a really deep moral calculus or anything to be upset over.
    Quote from proletaria

Well yes, implicit in the illegal action you are taking there is an opportunity cost you have to evaluate: ie. the cost of replacing an account. If you have any kind of emotional attachment to one character or account, this might be much higher risk than the potential payoff; however, I think the case for many botters is that they've washed their hands of the game already (or never intended to become attached to begin with) and the opportunity cost was thusly minimal.

The idea that "some people are just going to bot," is too simplistic. Nobody "just does," anything. As the above posts indicate, economic motivators are chief among the motivations. If you can make money selling shoes out of your basement, but it is arbitrarily illegal, then you'll probably find a way to do it anyhow if you have few other means of realizing that income. This roughly extends into the "it's too hard to get items in this game," line of reasoning too. While it isn't exactly fiat economics, it is a kind income that one desires and there are limited means of acquiring that.

tl;dr: The answer is always supply and demand. The exchange of items (on the AH or third party sites, as in D2) and related scarcity will ultimately drive many (perhaps most) to bot; however, those of us who place a high value on our accounts and characters or simply don't have any economic incentive to pursue that kind of thing in our spare time will not. It isn't a really deep moral calculus or anything to be upset over.

But you don't need risk your main account with your characters, only needs buy other account and botting and when you want play legit, log in with your main account and have fun. Blizzard dont bans for ip method, they will ban your main account only if you use this as mule.
    I would bot..

but honestly it's not worth the extra electric bill of keeping my computer on 24/7. That's how bad this game has gotten.
    Quote from Dhaern

But you don't need risk your main account with your characters, only needs buy other account and botting and when you want play legit, log in with your main account and have fun. Blizzard dont bans for ip method, they will ban your main account only if you use this as mule.

If you are comfortable making that assumption then you are, of course, free to adjust your own risk/cost evaluations. That said, I certainly don't find that precondition terribly convincing. It's been trivially easy for companies to identify related accounts since online gaming was a thing. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion or inevitability that you'll loose your main account, but to conclude that is impossible would be equally silly.
    blizzard is a rubbish company
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes