Why should we NOT start botting? Discuss!

Quote from thundersteele

In short, I don't see how botting enhances the gaming experience. If you enjoy the game, play it, if not, stop. A bot won't change that.

The fun in most arpg for me is to obliterate enemies not grinding.
    Without using shortcuts grinding is unfortunately the only way to gear up to be able to quickly obliterate enemies. If you add to this that we have a random item drop system even for crafting you have to trust in luck or use a shortcut. Okay shortcuts are trading with or without AH/RMAH. Not okay shortcuts are bots and illegal shortcuts are hacking/exploiting.
    Grinding and trying to just run through content as fast as possible over and over again is not something i call fun its something i call repetitive necessary evil and in most other parts of my life repetitive tasks are something i try to automate so i can instead use the time for more worthwhile endeavors.

If everyone that used bots had no impact on the rest i wouldn't care about bots but since they just as often have a negative effect on someone else i have come to dislike them and that's also what keeps me from using one myself.
    So i will probably either stop before getting more than halfway to pl100 or sacrifice my satisfaction in getting there by either using a okay shortcut or becoming a human bot and try to maximize grinding speed.
    Botting is indeed a controversial subject and it's not only used by farming companies and I think there are several reasons for players to start botting.

To name a few:
    • The person in question doesn't care about the game, it's only about making some extra pocket money with RMAH
    • The person doesn't like playing the game as it is not but still wants a more powerful character,
    • The person feel it's necessary in order not to fall behind his/her friend/the rest of the community since he/she doesn't have enough time to play.
    All that these ppl have in common is that they accept the risk of having their account banned and their characters (i.e. gear) lost.

The people that uses bots also makes a clear statement: "I don't care how this influences the game experience for legit players, I only care about myself" because let's face it unless you only play single player or with friends and no one uses the AH, you ARE affected by bots one way or another. I'm not too bothered by people using bots since I don't feel I'm being affected that much. I normally play by myself, minding my own business. I guess that bots make my items less attractive on the AH but I don't to what extent the AH is flooded by items gotten from botting.

I personally would not use a bot since it defeats the purpose of the game. If I don't like playing it, I'd stop playing it.

But I understand the people that feel that due to the lack of time, feel that they'd fall behind if they don't play (i.e. having their character running the Alkaizer route). I had the same when I was playing wow; I got a really bad feeling if I couldn't play wow one day, not because I wanted to play but that I'd miss the 2 daily frost emblems (way back in WotLK) and fall behind in the gear hunt. I never used a bot though =)
    Quote from thundersteele

(...)
    Let me be a bit more specific. I think the misconception that is in place here is that the whole grind is to gear up (and getting the paragons up) for some future content. In my opinion this is fundamentally wrong. The process of leveling and gearing is all that there is. If you let the bot do it instead, you might as well not play at all. If you don't enjoy playing right now, why would it be more fun if you are leveled out and decked out in BiS gear? Then there is nothing left to do...
    (...)
    In short, I don't see how botting enhances the gaming experience. If you enjoy the game, play it, if not, stop. A bot won't change that.

I completly agree. I don't enjoy grinding gear/xp and I don't enjoy playing the AH so I don't do it. I'm very active in diablo, but my main char is only paragon 25.

I did some alkaizer runs (mp0, archon) but it gets boring fast (<30 Mins), so I do something completly different. For example leveling a new char on MP10 (only to delete it at lvl 60) or hunting for difficult achievments.

Of course I love to be powerfull, but not enough to do boring grinding or start botting.

I only play when its fun and that is the main focus. Botting cannot be fun for me.
    Botting = gold and gear creation for no or negligible marginal effort. From the individual perspective, of course you can see what people do it - it's gold and gear creation for no or negligible marginal effort. From blizzard's perspective, and the perspective of anyone investing effort into their gold and gear (which is devalued by the creation of more of it, easier), you can see why it's "bad."

I can mug people, if I think it's easier way to make money than getting a job, but that harms the society in which I'm part of, and I may get caught.
    I have a mate who dinged 100 the other month and still plays act 3 every night, dunno will have to ask him what makes him keep goingl he is def no bot though but i can see the appeal of botters since this is a game that can put money in your account.
    May the heroes rise from the pit of despair and the bards sing of the day of death renewed to everlasting
    immortality....awaiting your return to the lands of Sanctuary may peace be with you on this day...your day of birth.

The Crew
    Quote from TehAdi

Quote from Gurriish

Blizzard idea with RMAH is the biggest gaming fail of 2012.
    RMAH is the biggest gaming plus of 2012 in my oppinion.
    I dont bot either, and the feeling you get, when your hard work turns into a diablo 3 sponsored, 3 weeks vacation to Australia. It really beats everything.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from RaPsKa

I have a mate who dinged 100 the other month and still plays act 3 every night, dunno will have to ask him what makes him keep goingl he is def no bot though but i can see the appeal of botters since this is a game that can put money in your account.
    I have 100 pl too and i don't see the point in playing by myself anymore at the current state of this game.
    And because i don't have PC good enough to run virtual machine with diablo on it i just started playing the Path of Exile beta which is the real Diablo in my opinion.
    I see that people here don't understand the reason of botting.
    D3 is about gear and very little about the challenge to get it, or get ready to farm for the gear. I play D3 because I enjoy it and there is certain thrill associated with finding loot that excites me.

If it would be all about gear and nothing else, I could just swipe my credit card to charge my PayPal account and buy whatever I like. There would be no reason to play the game any longer for me.

If I dont find any reason to play the game, I wont be playing it. I'm not forced to labor in D3 if I dont find it fun--I dont have to make my living money in the game nor I need the game to pay for my vacation or any other real life amenities.

That is why I never bot, in the past, present or future.
    diablo 3 complete waste of time right now
    an experience is talking here :)
    Browser MMORPG Developer
    Quote from Huminator

I dont bot either, and the feeling you get, when your hard work turns into a diablo 3 sponsored, 3 weeks vacation to Australia. It really beats everything.
    Of course, its good for gamers (especially unemployed gamers), good for botters and the best option for Blizzard.
    But its bad for the game itself. I imagine this PvP with RMAH items :lol:

You guys say that the game is about gear and "overwhelming the mobs". What if i have 100pl and gear to faceroll everything because the difficulty level of D3 is so noobfriendly that MP10 mobs can't do shit to you if you're Barb/Wizz with at least average gear.
    I think i went offtopic a bit :ph34r:
    Quote from Huminator

Quote from TehAdi

Quote from Gurriish

And im sure you reported the income to your taxagent
    I'm not unemployed. I don't "need" the money i make on rmah. I welcome the money, and i find it exciting to make em. I mean for christ sake, RMAH transform pixels into cash, your ingame hard word pays off, in a way no other game can do. RMAH is the biggest plus of diablo 3. It opens up doors for an exciting way of trading.
    Currently played toon:

Profit:
    Quote from slaugther

Quote from Huminator

Quote from TehAdi

Quote from Gurriish

I dont have to. Its the same as money you win via sports bets or lotteries. Its taxfree. Because its not my main source of income.
    Currently played toon:

Profit:
    Quote from Huminator

Quote from slaugther

Quote from Huminator

Quote from TehAdi

Quote from Gurriish

I dont have to. Its the same as money you win via sports bets or lotteries. Its taxfree. Because its not my main source of income.
    Good for denmark. Where i live that is only true for those that counts as based on luck not skill which is not the case with online auctions.like rmah.

But lets let the thread get back on topic
    Quote from TehAdi

Quote from Huminator

Of course, its good for gamers (especially unemployed gamers), good for botters and the best option for Blizzard.
    But its bad for the game itself. I imagine this PvP with RMAH items :lol:
    It's good especially for employed gamers. Unemployed people obviously have more time, people with a job can't play 24/7 and if they want a shortcut, the legal way is the RMAH.
    Quote from Gurriish
    Edit: And oh, I also welcome any Community Managers to reply on their insights and thoughts about botting.
    Just wanted to let you know that no CM is going to reply to this since these are not the official Diablo III forums.
    I'm getting to the point in the mid 60(40)s where I've gotten all of the upgrades I can for less than 15M and getting to the point with the AH where good items just don't make any money anymore. GREAT items make couple M but to upgrade I need 30-40 minimum. For that I need to find a really really great item, and to my knowledge I think I've only ever found one or two items worth more than like 10M. I work full time, I have kids, I have a wife, and I go to college. It seems redic to me that bliz expects someone like me to grind hundreds of hours so that I can... grind more better for hundreds of hours. If I wanted to do that, why wouldn't I play an MMORPG? I think I'll just go play another game... however the idea of botting, letting a program run in the background that eats up some of the mindless time for me so that I can get back to doing fun things and feel like I'm making more progress makes me more interested in sticking with the game. I dunno who posted it before, but I really agree that botting isn't (for me) motivated from greed so much as a fix for the incessant and overly long grind time between periods of doing something interesting.
    People who claim that they make money off of RMAH without botting are most likely bullshiting, no matter how hard they insist on the "lol i dont bot" part of their story.

In d2 i botted my ass of to be able to compete with the market, seems like its about time in d3 aswell, its a shame, if nobody botted, nobody would need too :/ keep floating or sink.

anyone wanna help with what to search for in google to find a good one?
    In each game there are rules, be it a board game or a card game or a video game. Thoses rules are made for everyone to have fun in the same conditions and have the same chance of winning.

I don't bot for the same reason I don't cheat. I may not agree with every rules of the game, those might be improved, but it's not a proper reason for cheating. There are no valid reason for cheating.

You're trying to justify botting because of the "hardships" you've encountered in the game : but hey. It's a game. Stop playing if it wears you out. A game is always as good as long you don't tire of it. It's a natural process: you play, you get bored, you find another game.

And I would like to add that no matter how well balanced, fair, and perfect the rules of a game are, there will always be cheaters. They will always complain with ground or not, to justify their action and go for the unfair advantage. Those guys do not respect other players, they don't respect the game and they ruin the fun.

Don't be a cheater. Cheating is like the dark side of the force: once you get accustomed to easy win, disregard for the rules and selfish gaming, you won't ever be able to really enjoy a game for what it is anymore. There is no coming back.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes