Opinion: Blizzard heavily controls Diablo 3 legendary/set drops

This is turning to another "loot server" type argument. We know how well that last conspiracy theory went (50% of the people who attempted to test out the loot server theory had their IQ reduced by a factor of 3).
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from tommmmmm

Actually 1200 hours is a good sample + questioning of other players. And I believe what OP says is true in at least 75%

How about my sample then? I got 1100 hours, and play with 5-6 people who have similar playtime. I've got good knowledge of their important drops. My experience matches everything I know about probability (which was a one year course at the university).

RNG works equally for every one of us. Given this equality one might expect that every one should be equally rich in the long run. Well, fuck no. Some players will dedicate a lot of time learning the game, practicing skills, and be effective juggling probabilities. Others will learn all hot stat/legendary in the game and snipe good deals in the AH. These guys will get rich. There are some exceptions, like botters, exploiters, Athene's social experiments, and stuff like that, but in general, those who are more dedicated to learn will be more successful.

Playing the game for 1200 hours doesn't necessarily mean one's dedicated to learn. He's dedicated to play, for sure, but that won't bring anyone above the average. Everyone can play the game. The ones who play the game with purpose, thought and method can and will make the difference. That's how life works. That's how Diablo works. Sorry to burst bubbles.

And making conspiracy theories is not a good method.
    I quit for several months, and when I came back I found a trifecta Nats... certainly motivated me to keep playing. Can't find anything of value now, though. :(
    Quote from Nodnarb

Based from Keiser's #4 response:

I dont know how you can say which is more profitable. These numbers arent published. And neither sides can support an argument here with no proof. Nor can anyone here validate that even if these numbers were published that they were accurate. That being said I guess im playing devils advocate here in a way. So I can say with no hard evidence. I do not feel like it is all based off of a lottery "RNG" system. Too many things dont add up to ME.

Apply Occam's razor. Is it more likely:

Someone programmed drop rates based on a table of data.

Someone programmed drop rates based on a table of data but senior programmers wrote secret code nobody else knows about that analyzes several data points including play time/frequency and RMAH usage and then dynamically changes drop rates to encourage more sales.

With a lack of evidence on both sides, use logic to determine the MOST likely choice.
    Quote from Nodnarb

... There is more to it then "JUST RNG"...prove me wrong, u cant. ...

If you are making a statement as fact, then the onus of proof is on you, not me. You cannot prove what you are saying is true.

And your use of the coin flip example shows that you really don't understand what RNG is, if you think it somehow proves your point.

As an aside, I am a professional programmer, and I can assure you that the time it would take to program the OP "mechanics" into the game would take far longer to do than to write the game as it stands right now. So long, in fact, that Diablo III would not even be released yet if they wanted to do that.

Go ahead, prove me wrong.
    Quote from Bagstone

And many other flaws, but seriously, the only statistically correct study that I've ever seen in D3 is the theorycrafting thread about magic find.

Indeed. If someone wants to prove something I suggest he does it in a way that we've already seen in the MF thread.
    The only thing i can conclude from this thread would be. Im happy that im from europe, seeing Nodnarb is from the US xD
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from Bagstone

And many other flaws, but seriously, the only statistically correct study that I've ever seen in D3 is the theorycrafting thread about magic find.

Indeed. If someone wants to prove something I suggest he does it in a way that we've already seen in the MF thread.

U cant apply these theories on a predetermined table. Occam's razor in a nutshell : this is to complicated for u to understand, therefore its easier to see my simple answer is the right one: DERP DERP ... u forget money is involved. GAME OVER
    Actually, it makes a lot of sense for a company to have some control over what/how/when an item drops, when that item has a potential to give Blizzard some money.

Just give it a thought, it would make no sense (to me) that they just RNG everything without any kind of control behind the scenes.
    Quote from Nodnarb

Quote from overneathe

Quote from Bagstone

U cant apply these theories on a predetermined table. Occam's razor in a nutshell : this is to complicated for u to understand, therefore its easier to see my simple answer is the right one: DERP DERP ... u forget money is involved. GAME OVER

I think you wanted to quote the other guy who used Occam's razor against you. But anyway. A professional programmer up there responded as well saying how much time it would take. And as he requested - go ahead. Prove him wrong. :)
    Quote from Indimix

Actually, it makes a lot of sense for a company to have some control over what/how/when an item drops, when that item has a potential to give Blizzard some money.

Just give it a thought, it would make no sense (to me) that they just RNG everything without any kind of control behind the scenes.

How is it "control" when you let the players decide if they keep or sell their GG loot?
    Fact; Blizzard isn't stupid enough to do this, because if it was ever found out their reputation would be ruined. Just... stop this shit. It's as annoying as the loot server garbage.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from Jaetch

This was so very good, that I must quote it again.
    If you dont know how to enjoy the game, then thats a sad day to say: get over it.
    Quote from Nodnarb

what is more believable to you. 1) some people just continually find 200mill items on a regular basis b/c they are lucky OR 2) There might be some factors that we dont know about b/c we dont know all of the facts. and 3) if u say RNG=RNG your are a lemming

The R in RNG is random, not average. Random means that out of 100 people only one person will see the 'average' drops. The rest will either see low drops or high drops. Because of this, it's not only plausible, it's almost guaranteed there will be people constantly getting good drops.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from KTLB

6. I have yet to find any conclusive evidence regarding rares (yellow items).

This is the best part..

As opposed to the indisputable evidence you showed (not) for the legendaries?
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=41451693.jpg&res=medium
    Quote from Mayne

Quote from KTLB

6. I have yet to find any conclusive evidence regarding rares (yellow items).

This is the best part..

As opposed to the indisputable evidence you showed (not) for the legendaries?

+1
    Quote from Jaetch

This is so awesome.

@OP: What are you smoking? Can I have some?
    My monk Vin
    First, if Blizz really wanted to force people to the auction house, they would of added a real item sink in the first patch. The fact that you can completely gear out a 60 toon for a few million and do MP5+ shows they clearly do not make every decision about the game based on forcing people to the RMAH.

Second, you have absolutely zero facts or testing to back up what you are saying. You base your entire argument on the fact that you've played 1200 hours in the game. Yet you are 1 person. So no matter how many hours you have played, you are 1 in 10 million players, and in no way represent the experiences of 10 million other people.
    Quote from Indimix

So why dont they control the millions of rares you can buy for less than 100k which can be used to clear Inferno?
    None of you make sense. If Blizzard was going to do all this behind the scenes coding and caretaking of Legend drops, why wouldnt they take away trifecta rares that sell for under 1 million gold now?

It is such a silly claim.
    What OP writes is no different than this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9HvS_niU50

Both completely wuuuut? get the needle out already.
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes