Opinion: Blizzard heavily controls Diablo 3 legendary/set drops

Information bias

Quote from overneathe
    Quote from Nodnarb
    I know that if this were my game , and I owned the AH and the RMAH, and could tweak the mechanics this way or that way with each little patch. MY pockets would stay fat. Disagree with that and as I must quote someone on here the sum of your QQ=DERP DERP DERP

And that's why you're not a good game designer. And no company/audience would ever trust you.

Seriously. Get over it. You know what happened during a stretch of time when I was farming from paragon 60-70? A string of awesome dexterity items kept dropping for me (some godly rings, Nat's boots, Inna's Radiance, etc.) instead of int items for my wizard (they dropped, but they didn't upgrade me). Know what I did? I made a monk to make use of those items.

You know what happened when I went from paragon 92-95 without getting a single legendary/set item worth more than a Brimstone? (FYI, that's close to a billion EXP's worth of farming on MP4). I said, "meh, farm more. I must get more unIDs to sample." Speaking of which, I'm paragon 96 now and I still haven't gotten a legendary/set item worth more than a mil (better than a Brimstone at least). But I have gotten several rares that sold for a lot more to make up for it (including a rare int shoulders that was close in stats to a great Vile Ward).

As for the OP — because you're sampling yourself and "countless" other players that don't make up the vast majority of the player base (if there are 5 million people playing worldwide and you alone, BY YOURSELF, interviewed 2 million people that claim this phenomenon, I still wouldn't believe your outlandish ideas). You know why? Because IT'S ALL RANDOM.

Quote from KTLB
    This is why you might see 20 andariel's drop before a mempo does.

Andariel's is ilvl 62 while Mempo is ilvl 63.

Do you not see the overpowered items that are still in the AH and that still drop on a regular basis? You ought to browse trade forums, including the official ones, d2jsp, the one here, and the various trade channels in-game. You'd be surprised how many "GG" items people find on the spot and quickly try to sell.

You know why you're not getting anything? Because you're a random victim of unluckiness. You know what you should do? Play more and ID more things. You know why? Because everything is random and you need more random samples in order to possibly get random results such as a crazy-rolled godly item (which, think about it, is unlikely to happen on a daily basis considering the numbers of the randomly rolled stats are at the pinnacle of the stat ceiling).

I'm going to blow things up in-game now because all of this crap I've read in the OP has given me a serious migraine.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    I didn't quite get what you meant with my quote Jaetch. :P
    Mind elaborating?

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from overneathe

I didn't quite get what you meant with my quote Jaetch. :P
    Mind elaborating?

Ah, not telling you to "get over it." I supported your statement that if a game designer actively manipulates the in-game economy, no playerbase would trust the developers (then proceeded to give my personal example of why I didn't care about the drop rate). Sorry for the ambiguity.
    I can see where this post is going. As usual. So this is my last post in this thread. I agree with the OP 100%. I think the proof is in the pudding. ( look at the past couple days of whats going on in the blue post... The blue was "upset bout CAPSLOCKS" so he made it a point to make 5-8 posts about that-meanwhile advertising what the guys was selling/trading like a "paid advertisement". WHAT most people failed to see was that what that same guy was posting in caps locks was about 12 GG items that no 1 person could of in no way possible found by himself like he claimed. - To me this is where the problem is.
    Quote from Nodnarb

I can see where this post is going. As usual. So this is my last post in this thread. I agree with the OP 100%. I think the proof is in the pudding. ( look at the past couple days of whats going on in the blue post... The blue was "upset bout CAPSLOCKS" so he made it a point to make 5-8 posts about that-meanwhile advertising what the guys was selling/trading like a "paid advertisement". WHAT most people failed to see was that what that same guy was posting in caps locks was about 12 GG items that no 1 person could of in no way possible found by himself like he claimed. - To me this is where the problem is.

Ever consider that the "12 GG items" were purchased from the AH and then the guy wanted to resell them? I do the same thing all the time, just not with caps locked topics. I don't get blue posts in mine. You really ought to check out d2jsp. I have about four topics going on simultaneously there that feature "GG items."
    Quote from Turtel

Quote from Nodnarb

As for the Items that drop, again ask yourself. If I owned the RMAH and was in it as a business (in this economy) - what do I do to keep the money coming in???

More/better/continuosly improving content to attract or keep more ppl playing my game.

Ask yourself this. What does YOUR answer to your question say about you as a person?
    Assuming every one else, including Blizzard staff is like you, is ignorant.

I think the state of current societies would beg to differ. I'd say the majority IS like him, or at least the people in positions of power are like him - and these people were put there by the majority (either actively, or by implied consent).

Quote from Jaetch
    I supported your statement that if a game designer actively manipulates the in-game economy, no playerbase would trust the developers

You're assuming people would find out.
    I find it utterly hilarious that some people think Blizz needs to mire themselves in constant (and quite complicated) finagling of drops in order for them to post a handsome profit.

Threads like this....I can only describe as immature.
    Quote from AudioCG

Quote from sexyrexy

I've noticed you almost never find an item that can be used by your class. I have had a bunch of awesome stuff drop and its never something for my monk. Which makes sense. If you find something good, but never for your class, you get directed traffic to the AH.

I have found my Helm, Crafted my MH, and found my Belt.

3/13 of your items? That's so many!

The only item of mine that I did not get off the AH is probably the same for many. My hellfire ring.
    1. Too small a sample size. RNG. I've gotten more legendaries in the last week than ever, and I'm farming for more hours and more efficiently than ever before, playing every day. When I had 2-3 days between sessions I have had ZERO legendaries drop.

2. Wrong. You see twenty Andariels before a Mempo because their drop rates are different. The hard coded drop rates are unknown, even if it's known what the relative drop rates of ALL legendaries vs rares is.

3. The people that have the highest sales on the RMAH farm the least, they spend most of their time flipping the AH.

4. If something of this magnitude were true, too many people would know for it to be a secret. A company like Blizzard wouldn't risk their reputation on something like this when it brings in a fraction of the dollars that WoW's subscription does. This is something like the argument about online poker sites rigging hands to produce more action. They don't need to do that because they would lose far more money if that information ever got out. They're raking it in already, there's no sense in increasing that by 5-10% with such a huge risk.

5. I'm not sure you know what "evidence" means. My first 200 hours of play on my wizard produced 2 legendaries while leveling, and zero at 60. Yesterday I got four in about two hours. 1200 hours is not a large enough sample size. You would need a ridiculously comprehensive test to verify something like this.

6. Isn't any.
    This thread is hilarious. Why should Blizzard manipulate the item drops of players (whose actions are unpredictable) when they could (create and then) put items in the RMAH themselves instead?
    Based from Keiser's #4 response:

I dont know how you can say which is more profitable. These numbers arent published. And neither sides can support an argument here with no proof. Nor can anyone here validate that even if these numbers were published that they were accurate. That being said I guess im playing devils advocate here in a way. So I can say with no hard evidence. I do not feel like it is all based off of a lottery "RNG" system. Too many things dont add up to ME.
    Hmm, my last legendary drop came while I was picking my nose. Tried farming Act III for hours with my finger up my nose and it didn't work again. Then I realised how stupid I was being. The last time it was raining outside! So now, whenever I see it raining, I quickly log on with my barb, stick my finger up my nose and farm Act III, and sometimes a legendary drops. It's awesome, you have to try it :D
    "It takes a man with real heart...to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep." - Clive Barker
    Until now I have killed keywarden in ACT II 8 times in a row in MP5 and not a single key dropped. But not so long ago, I had an unbelievable luck streak, that is 3 ubber boss kills with 3 key parts then 9 keywarden kills after with 9 keys dropped before my luck run out, all these kills were in MP4. Does any of these expected to happen? No, but it is exactly just like lottery, you could be extremely lucky or extremely unlucky. The chance of you getting something only make sense once you consider large population, it is absolutely not something like you kill X mobs and must have obtained Y number of items, otherwise the chance is a lie.
    Another poor soul lost his sanity to PROBABILITY, the evil god.

Nothing to see here, move along.

(the ones who get a good drop are not the ones who get rich in Diablo, but the ones who snipe the AH all day. No RNG there, just good search patterns).

Quote from Nodnarb

Based from Keiser's #4 response:

I dont know how you can say which is more profitable. These numbers arent published. And neither sides can support an argument here with no proof. Nor can anyone here validate that even if these numbers were published that they were accurate. That being said I guess im playing devils advocate here in a way. So I can say with no hard evidence. I do not feel like it is all based off of a lottery "RNG" system. Too many things dont add up to ME.

You said it yourself. Even if Blizzard published the numbers the community might still say they got lied to because "their" statistics say otherwise. But even if 1000 people made their contribution to the statistic they still are just a fraction of the player base.

Ha. Bagstone.

Lets say diablo 3 has 100k active players (low number on purpose, to avoid being bashed by "OMFG LOL D3 IS DEAD")

even if you interviewed 50k of them and made statistics of their drops, there is still 50% probability that you are wrong... but ppl dont get things like this, until they actually study statistics
    Actually 1200 hours is a good sample + questioning of other players. And I believe what OP says is true in at least 75%
    I have a signature so you can see my post and that post rating count icon (along with hand icon) do not overlay my post. If you do not have a signature, for the sake of others, please make one.
    Quote from tommmmmm

Actually 1200 hours is a good sample + questioning of other players. And I believe what OP says is true in at least 75%

:D
    Even if only 100k players have farmed in diablo for 1 hour each, his 1200 hours mean close to nothing in statistics. And you know how extreme example i've given you.
    Quote from Kash1988

Lets say diablo 3 has 100k active players (low number on purpose, to avoid being bashed by "OMFG LOL D3 IS DEAD")

even if you interviewed 50k of them and made statistics of their drops, there is still 50% probability that you are wrong... but ppl dont get things like this, until they actually study statistics

Actually, if you would study statistics, you should now that a sample size doesn't simply mean "MOAR", it's never a high percentage. You're confusing sample with census.

However, his sample is completely skewed. Plus, information bias. And many other flaws, but seriously, the only statistically correct study that I've ever seen in D3 is the theorycrafting thread about magic find.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes