Is D3 dying?

So another "D3 is dying thread". I've been reading these kind of threads after the second week the game was released. And these kind of threads kept coming one or two weeks after a content release, making the people who started proving that they don't think so much. I thought posting in a thread like this was pointless but today after reading all the posts i came up with some things that prove both sides are wrong.

First of all, to all you "d3 is a dead game" haters, what action rpg game, or rpg kept you playing for over 300 and 400 hours.... Do you know that games with 60 hours of story line gameplay and 100 hours in total is actually considered to be a F A N T A S T I C game? (Skryim for instance-maybe more hours but still-). How many hours did you play Titan quest, Dungeon Siege one and two (wont mention 3 it was a disaster to the franchise) Torchlight one and two etc etc. All great games but i doubt you put more than 100 or 200 hours in them. And also calculate this. 400 hours/24hours~ 16 days. 16days in front of your computer playing a game.... And i think this is an average playtime for ppl who at least bother reading forums. Sure this is a dead game.

On the other hand this game will die in comparison to its predecessor after some years and in my opinion the reason is only one. No ability for modding. This is a personal opinion only cause i love playing mods of games and d2 had some extremely well polished mods and still has (Median). What makes me sad with this game is that it has great potentional in modding since we are in 2012 and ppl are more experienced in these kind of things.

That pretty much sums up things for me. I dont play the game at the moment but i come back now and then to play it and this is NOT a dead game. Stuck maybe but not dead. And definety not done. This is something to make threads again and again and justifiable flamable.

Thanx for your time reading my wall of text.
    Quote from Stag26

So another "D3 is dying thread". I've been reading these kind of threads after the second week the game was released. And these kind of threads kept coming one or two weeks after a content release, making the people who started proving that they don't think so much. I thought posting in a thread like this was pointless but today after reading all the posts i came up with some things that prove both sides are wrong.

First of all, to all you "d3 is a dead game" haters, what action rpg game, or rpg kept you playing for over 300 and 400 hours.... Do you know that games with 60 hours of story line gameplay and 100 hours in total is actually considered to be a F A N T A S T I C game? (Skryim for instance-maybe more hours but still-). How many hours did you play Titan quest, Dungeon Siege one and two (wont mention 3 it was a disaster to the franchise) Torchlight one and two etc etc. All great games but i doubt you put more than 100 or 200 hours in them. And also calculate this. 400 hours/24hours~ 16 days. 16days in front of your computer playing a game.... And i think this is an average playtime for ppl who at least bother reading forums. Sure this is a dead game.

On the other hand this game will die in comparison to its predecessor after some years and in my opinion the reason is only one. No ability for modding. This is a personal opinion only cause i love playing mods of games and d2 had some extremely well polished mods and still has (Median). What makes me sad with this game is that it has great potentional in modding since we are in 2012 and ppl are more experienced in these kind of things.

That pretty much sums up things for me. I dont play the game at the moment but i come back now and then to play it and this is NOT a dead game. Stuck maybe but not dead. And definety not done. This is something to make threads again and again and justifiable flamable.

I'm no hater, I actually really like D3....however, toward the number of hours played = no right to complain comments;

This game was clearly made with the expectation of being played for thousands of hours over many years. To only get a few hundred hours of entertainment from it would definitely be considered a rip. Nevermind the actually cost value, if someone felt the need to quit after only 400 hours than I would understand why they felt ripped.

It's not the money that matters, it's the disappointment of not enjoying D3 for years and years.

I feel bad for old school D2 players that don't enjoy D3. It's kinda sad after all those years of waiting. .
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Stag26

I'm no hater, I actually really like D3....however, toward the number of hours played = no right to complain comments;

This game was clearly made with the expectation of being played for thousands of hours over many years. To only get a few hundred hours of entertainment from it would definitely be considered a rip. Nevermind the actually cost value, if someone felt the need to quit after only 400 hours than I would understand why they felt ripped.

It's not the money that matters, it's the disappointment of not enjoying D3 for years and years.

I feel bad for old school D2 players that don't enjoy D3. It's kinda sad after all those years of waiting. .

You are a customer, you have every right to complain about anything for a product you have bought from a company and especially a company with games as good as Blizzard has. Still this is not 1996. Diablo has competition and there are many alternatives on the market. Actually i think nowadays rpg's are not what they used to be (Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights) but more like Diablo like game with more story and bigger world. So what my point is, complaints should focus elsewhere on this game. This is an incomplete game and all the content that is being added since its release, all of them taken from d2 prove that . And pvp is still yet to come. So my arguing is not about a complaint made over D3 but what the complaint is about.
    I hate to say it, but PVP won't be the saving grace for this game. With the addition of paragon levels and the massive amounts of damage people are doing versus the much smaller HP pools is going to take some scaling or pretty much a debuff nerf once you enter the arena to change how much damage output you're really having. The arena style WoW PVP they'd opt for is fine but they should have just allowed you to duel in public games and anywhere in the world (act 1-4) from the very start.

I loved d2 when I was younger and had plenty of time to play however d3 now and maybe this genre of game in general just isn't as appealing to me as it once was.
    1. I enjoyed the first few months trying to finish the nearly impossible Inferno mode. Late night bidding wars on auction house, the endless gear grind. Finally after being 1-shotted hundreds of time in good ol' Inferno mode, I beat the game and it felt great! Truly rewarding for a casual gamer......2 weeks later the game is nerfed and I can now go afk in inferno mode.....GG blizzard thanks for nerfing everything!

2. Tried doing achievements, it's fun sometimes but gets boring pretty fast since you get nothing but useless banner rewards. Maybe more in-game rewards?? So much fail features.

3. Tried playing different heroes. Done. There is no build diversity between most classes...so playing gets pretty boring.

Conclusion?? Diablo 3 is a sub-par 2012 game release. I think at this point I would enjoy reinstalling and playing D2 then continue to play this D3 garbage. Don't get me wrong.....Blizzard is obviously very aware that their game SUCKS and they are SLOWLY fixing it. I have hope that in maybe 6months D3 might have more balace/content added to it. No it isn't a monthly subcription game.....but when a company makes over 500 million in sales....they can put some money into their games for us!! Look at Free2Play games that make 10% of what Diablo 3 makes and yet they always add more content. (league of legends constantly updates content/game mechanics and they make a fraction of Blizzard's revenue)

With the more patches added to Diablo 3, the more playable it becomes. Why after release...no clue....yes Blizzard has stated they will add more stuff like PvP and fixing some game mechanics (class skills), etc. The platform in which they built D3 on is very powerful so there is still hope! I check the forums once a week to keep myself informed on the progress of D3. I want to get back to it one day but for now I stay offline since there is nothing to do. This is my opinion. I enjoyed D3 while it lasted, now I wait for Blizzard to do their part. I have faith......hell I've been waiting a good 10 years to play D3...I guess I can wait a bit longer.

So I guess it's a love/hate relationship!
    Quote from Stag26

You are a customer, you have every right to complain about anything for a product you have bought from a company and especially a company with games as good as Blizzard has. Still this is not 1996. Diablo has competition and there are many alternatives on the market. Actually i think nowadays rpg's are not what they used to be (Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights) but more like Diablo like game with more story and bigger world. So what my point is, complaints should focus elsewhere on this game. This is an incomplete game and all the content that is being added since its release, all of them taken from d2 prove that . And pvp is still yet to come. So my arguing is not about a complaint made over D3 but what the complaint is about.

I fully agree. If D3 had been launched in it's 1.05 condition, I believe the feedback would have been very different.
    Quote from overneathe
    In D3 though we actually have many purists that don't buy anything off the AH even now and they're doing pretty good.

ahem....I wouldn't say "pretty good".
    Quote from maka

Quote from overneathe
    In D3 though we actually have many purists that don't buy anything off the AH even now and they're doing pretty good.

They consider it to be good. :)

At least they're having fun, while most others prefer to complain.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from Stag26

I don't need a game to provide hundreds of hours of gameplay to qualify it as good. Dragon Age : Origin for example was an awesome game even if it didn't provide hundreds of hours of gameplay.
    Quote from Stag26

The amount of time played is meaningless. If i get drunk one night and decide to smash bottles on my head for an hour straight; that doesn't mean smashing bottles on my head was worth doing. Maybe i did it because i thought some hot chick would notice my physical prowess and come give up some ass. Now if i get laid, yah smashing bottles on my head was totally awesome. When i don't get laid though, i realize i just wasted an hour of my life smashing bottles on my head.

Same thing with Diablo 3. We played for 400 hours, 500 hours, 700 hours..... hoping for a reward that never comes. On top of that, the rewards we had got were made obsolete with patches. So i played a good 600 hours before 1.0.4. Complete waste of time. I got more drops worth caring about in 4 hours after 1.0.5 came out than i did in the entire 600 hours i played from launch to 1.0.4.

So for you to suggest that the 600 hours i played pre 1.0.4 was me getting my monies worth..... That is just ignorant and insulting.
    Quote from WhiskeyDex420

Quote from Stag26

The amount of time played is meaningless. If i get drunk one night and decide to smash bottles on my head for an hour straight; that doesn't mean smashing bottles on my head was worth doing. Maybe i did it because i thought some hot chick would notice my physical prowess and come give up some ass. Now if i get laid, yah smashing bottles on my head was totally awesome. When i don't get laid though, i realize i just wasted an hour of my life smashing bottles on my head.

Same thing with Diablo 3. We played for 400 hours, 500 hours, 700 hours..... hoping for a reward that never comes. On top of that, the rewards we had got were made obsolete with patches. So i played a good 600 hours before 1.0.4. Complete waste of time. I got more drops worth caring about in 4 hours after 1.0.5 came out than i did in the entire 600 hours i played from launch to 1.0.4.

So for you to suggest that the 600 hours i played pre 1.0.4 was me getting my monies worth..... That is just ignorant and insulting.

You buy a game to play it not to make money with it. The reward that comes out of a game is how many hours this game keeps you occupied and interested. They even give you the tools to brag about your findings in the game and your progress, i am talking about the armory type for diablo 3 that no other similar game gives you. And the arguement about how many hours you have played with this game was to prove that the game isn't dead, not that is the best ever or a full game. If you have read all my post you would have understand that what i am trying to say is this, don't flame the game for being dead but for being incomplete. But i guess i am being ignorant and insulting trying to pinpoint the problem with this game rather than join a brainless flame coming from braindead people who can't focus the real problem.
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from maka

Quote from overneathe

What do you mean, "they"? I'm one of those "purists" you were talking about, that's why I felt 'empowered' to respond. I stopped having fun about a month ago, to be honest; the only thing holding me is a sort of irrational belief that they'll fix this game.
    Quote from maka

Quote from overneathe

Quote from maka

Quote from overneathe

What do you mean, "they"? I'm one of those "purists" you were talking about, that's why I felt 'empowered' to respond. I stopped having fun about a month ago, to be honest; the only thing holding me is a sort of irrational belief that they'll fix this game.

Well I don't know what you are, but I'm reading Bnet and in the topics people discuss this and they seem pretty satisfied with what's going on.

Ha. Bagstone.

Funny, i started this thread hoping to hear some ideas about how it was not dead, about how PvP will make it interesting and in the long run staying ahead of the curve would be worth it.
    Instead, I feel the same dissatisfaction from most posters: the frustration of patch changes and loots, the dullness of the grind and an overall feeling that this is not fun. A few posters are enraged by the suggestion that this game is BS but I can play starcraft until I can't see anymore but after a few runs of D3 I'm bored. gl hf
    Quote from Chazzamuffin

I feel the same dissatisfaction from most posters: the frustration of patch changes and loots, the dullness of the grind and an overall feeling that this is not fun.

That was exactly it for me. I spent 600 hours getting a Demon Hunter to the point i could farm act 3 inferno. Anyone who wasn't playing the first month needs to STFU about "act 3 is a breeze". When they put out all those new legendaries, and nerfed the mobs to the point i would have been able to do them after 30 hours of play...... That was a hard one to bounce back from for me.

I said forget about it, sold my DH stuff on RMAH and started a barb. I built that barb to the point he was Godly. People would say "damn thats sick" when they inspected. I was facerolling act 3 in pub games. Then 1.0.5.... Just looked up my barbs gear on RMAH, would be lucky to get $10 for all of it. People look at my barb now and laugh at me.

So.... Do i do it all again, on a 4th toon (i left out the WD i built because it is just to painful to talk about)? Or do i walk away. sadly i now am gearing out a wizard. FML.
    So I was offering MP10 uber boss run as long as people provide minimum 3 machines in both trade chat and general chat. I would be able to get spammed by people who wanted to come along a month ago, but yesterday I got 0 reply. That's says alot about the game population now.

I have 1000+ hour in my DH, and now I pretty much play 3 or 4 hours per week.
    my friends list is pretty much empty at this point, last person logged on 14 days ago. most went back to WoW/SC2 or just have moved on at this point. I myself only logged on once today to see if any of my auctions sold..which none of them did. I would opt to sell my gear but at this point I'd be lucky to make what I paid for D3 (not that I care or ever sought to make $ off this game) but I think a lot of people at least myself being someone who played d2 for years ever since it was released when I was younger wanted more from diablo 3 but I think my growing up (now in my late 20's) just don't have the time to invest in this game as much anymore..and have other things to deal with (mortage, bills, girlfriend, etc). I wanted PVP to be out so I could just build a nice PVP build/set and just have fun, at least being able to duel in public/private games would have been nice.

I think d3 just isn't my type of game genre anymore to be honest..its gotten stale too early for me and thats a big let down.
    I don't think it's dying. I just started playing Diablo 3 and i believe that many of people does the same.
    The bigger question is WHO CARES? People that enjoy D3 for what it is are still playing and having fun, those that quit are gone. Its not about saving a game. More about excepting the game for what it is. Its NO MMO. There are NO raids or instances to run. No Daily quest to complete. No pets or mounts to waste countless hours hunting down. Sure PvP would give people something to do besides lvl and grind, but wouldn't pvp be just another grind. And a exp. to D3 would be nice with more gear, higher lvls and new mobs. But all in all beating a dead horse still makes it dead.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Lolypop

do you take seriously what you are saying? do you want players to keep playing under the expectancy of the game being worthwhile in 6-8 monhts? DIABLO 3 MORTGAGE EDITION

I'll leave you with this;

You cannot see the wood because there are too many trees in the way.

Of course I do not expect people to play a game they do not enjoy in the hopes that they may enjoy it next year. I'm saying, if a player enjoys the game but feels it is falling short, keep at it and you will be ahead of the curve when D3 finally turns that corner.

So true, Blizzard is really showing that they are gonna work on D3 til the Community says it's good and the players who will stick to it til that point will be far ahead of others.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes