Is D3 dying?

I think it's important to keep in mind that, absent some kind of pvp, best in slot is most of the goal in terms of repeating the content. If best in slot dropped arbitrarily say, once a week, then most everyone would have exhausted any and all compelling reasons to keep playing and the vast majority of items in the game (99.9999%) would amount to worthless vendor trash. That would more or less render the entire notion of a game "economy," superfluous since exchange would be entirely a waste of one's time.

The problem is that no-one needs to reroll the same class. Ever.
    Not happy with that, Blizzard decided to make it really disadvantageous for one to play with anything but their main character. How many people have you seen that have one lvl 60(50), and then a bunch of lowbies? That would be unthinkable in D2.
    Hell, I have each class at 60 (so I can switch 'styles' if I'm bored), I don't use the AH, and even I'M bored with this game.

Bottom line: there's no reason for people to keep playing this game after they've geared each class. And by 'gear', I mean being able to farm low MP in Inferno.

I think it's important to keep in mind that, absent some kind of pvp, best in slot is most of the goal in terms of repeating the content. If best in slot dropped arbitrarily say, once a week, then most everyone would have exhausted any and all compelling reasons to keep playing and the vast majority of items in the game (99.9999%) would amount to worthless vendor trash. That would more or less render the entire notion of a game "economy," superfluous since exchange would be entirely a waste of one's time.

Not happy with that, Blizzard decided to make it really disadvantageous for one to play with anything but their main character. How many people have you seen that have one lvl 60(50), and then a bunch of lowbies? That would be unthinkable in D2.
    Hell, I have each class at 60 (so I can switch 'styles' if I'm bored), I don't use the AH, and even I'M bored with this game.

Bottom line: there's no reason for people to keep playing this game after they've geared each class. And by 'gear', I mean being able to farm low MP in Inferno.

Maybe there is no reason for YOU to keep playing after gearing each class for relatively ghetto content. But that doesn't mean NO ONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD has a reason to keep playing. Stating there is no reason for anyone to keep going is simply dumb. You can't know what reason I or anyone else has to keep playing or not to keep playing. The only thing you can state with any degree of certainty is your own reasons for you to continue or not.
    Seriously we finally need to get some blue post about what is coming this waiting takes ages. I am also becoming a bit bored paragon done hardcore cleared I just follow my goal to make some € right now.This game really needs to get some shiny end game not talking about PvP now its different story.
    now that blizzard removed the need to role the same class more then once, one of there only alternatives is to simple pump out shit tons of new classes. no matter how fun they make the game, you can only play the same class so long. and thats in addition to all the other much needed improvements already stated by the hundreds of threads that have been around since beta.

and see'ing that pvp balance is not currently on their to-do list, making a crap ton of new classes wouldnt really hurt them in the long run. not like adding Death Knight did in wow with around 2 years of people bitching about them being OP.

While I understand what you mean, I can't agree this is a "problem," for everyone. Aside from hardcore mode, you're not gaining anything by repeating the initial leveling process with another character of the same class. In terms of a literal increase in "content," that change would amount to nothing. Further, there really isn't anything arbitrarily compelling about the "lowbies," argument in this context. Social interaction between players (new or otherwise) outside preexisting circles is a separate issue, unrelated to the content and itemization that I was talking about.

What you're asserting, in relation to the argument of mine you quoted, is that the system should be designed to force more repetition. I don't think there is any reason to assume that would improve the game in any appreciable way.
    What if a friend buys the game? I'd like to level with him.

What if a friend buys the game? I'd like to level with him.

Yeah, but will you?
    I won't really talk about you specifically (as I don't know you personally), but I feel that most people would just use one of their high-level chars to boost him to Inferno as quickly as they could, so they could then start playing the 'real game'. Hell, even I, a big fan of alts, would probably do it, because there's just no point in levelling a 2nd Barb. Why? Because HE'LL BE 100% EQUAL TO MY 1ST BARB! Exactly the same. And that's boring.

And that's why this game will (in my opinion) ultimately fall short of its predecessor: it has that MMO 'culture' (play just one or two characters, playing them to the extreme), but without the mass injections of content typical of MMOs. Result? People get bored. Fast.
    The only 'cure' (barring a complete overhaul of the game - which won't happen) is, like I said, very regular additions of content. Since it's unlikely they'll release meaningful free content (in patches), that leaves expansion packs. But how many are we supposed to buy before the game becomes what it could've been?

But I suppose that's how things are supposed to be. Blizzard wants us playing their upcoming MMO (I don't know how much money they're making off the RMAH, but it doesn't come close to a subscription-based game); D3 is just a stepping stone.

EDIT: @proletaria: worked for D2. Which was a much more enjoyable game, in my view.
    Yep, I specifically have leveled characters with friends, that I already had at 60. Also on MMOs, weirdly, a lot of players have multiple classes up at the level cap. Sure, some use different races, but overall they just like the leveling experience. Diablo isn't either an MMO or has different races though so that argument is void. Leveling with friends on the other hand I still see enjoyable.
    Well, since you don't make your profile public, I can't really comment on that (and I said I didn't really want to personalise this).
    So you just level a character, then what? Delete it? A bit of a waste of time, but to each his own, I suppose.
    Maybe the only true end game of this game is to make money?....

Iseewhatyoudidtherebliz.
    I am getting bored quickly in the game....if BLZ don't do something, I am sure many people will be AFK, at least temporarily untill PVP.
    I recommend you just take a break for a while. i just came back after 4 months and am having soo much fun with my barb, with all the changes that have happened since I initially quit.
    Is d3 dying?

Answer= YES

Login for 30 sec, check AH and get the feeling.. mehhh, cant be arsed.

God knows how many runs I tried to start, and after 1 stack NV i just pressed the Big X and closed the game.
    Honestly, it seems to me that D3 is GROWING, no, I am really not kidding.

I am meeting more new friends every day, and seeing them online far more often. (now I officially want better chat options, because god damn, its getting hard to handle now.)

There was certainly a surge of new blood after the Black Friday sale.
    banwave went live few minutes ago, yay blizz is doing "something"

banwave went live few minutes ago, yay blizz is doing "something"

Another one?

They did a big one last week too.
    yep but previous one wasn't that big. Right now the botting forums are in chaos :D
    Even the new accounts got banned.

yep but previous one wasn't that big. Right now the botting forums are in chaos :D

Hawt.

(lol, you are right, the demonbuddy forums are nothing but ban threads, roflol.)

Hawt.

(lol, you are right, the demonbuddy forums are nothing but ban threads, roflol.)

I've never heard of that forum but just had a look, yes they are crying the blues over there. :QQ: :hehe:

Hawt.

I've never heard of that forum but just had a look, yes they are crying the blues over there. :QQ: :hehe:

Thats the big player for Diablo 3 bots, hitting them hits the biggest portion of the botters in Diablo 3 right now, Blizzard pulling out the big guns.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes