Is D3 dying?

This game wont die ! It will just get better and better.

No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.
    Well, it's true that the number of active players was reduced... But I think that they'll come back once PvP or expansion comes out. I also think that this game is getting better with every big patch.
    Maybe it is a good thing that the game is becoming less popular.

I think we would all like to see different itemization (who wants thorns/bleed damage) and more randomisation including a never ending style dungeon but I also imagine that everyone wants slightly different things from the game, while the Bloodsucking Lizzard wants cash. Looking at the SC2 expansion though the developers have no idea. I wonder what the development/marketing budget is...

I can play for about an hour at a time before I want to claw my brain out in boredom. A nice drop is a blip during this and then you ID it.
    we heard it all before. RMAH is the death of d3, gold inflation is destroying the game, this game is dying because 50% population quit
    and here we are still running. where are all those doomsday prophet now? move along. u like it u play it, if you don't go play some other game
    Blizzard games don't die. They get complained about - they get hated on, but most players continue playing because they are either addicted to it, or endure it in hopes that it will change, but I think most sensible players can agree that Diablo 3 has large room for improvement.

Blizzard games don't die. They get complained about - they get hated on, but most players continue playing because they are either addicted to it, or endure it in hopes that it will change, but I think most sensible players can agree that Diablo 3 has large room for improvement.

It is what Blizzard ALWAYS does, they release a game, then tweak the hell out of it over time.

They have done exactly that with Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, everything.

This is literally business as usual for Blizz.

It is what Blizzard ALWAYS does, they release a game, then tweak the hell out of it over time.

And guess what? It works.
    I really want a new game. I am getting so frustrated with Diablo 3 for a variety of reasons, and I am actively looking for a better solution. I am certain I am not alone. Below is a quick list of what is driving me away.

1) The AH is destroying the fun of gearing your character. The intent of a play sessions is to max gold found per hour to increase your buying power. I hate it. I want to find my upgrades!

2) The runs are exactly the same over and over. No variety, events arent worth doing, all monsters are virtually the same because of the Affix design, so all the fights feel the same. Bosses are pointless, so the only unique fights in the game you dont normally do in a run.

3) I want to play alts, but Paragon levels make it inefficient; which limits #1 above, which forces you to stay on 1 character. You can be in the mood for fun, and jump on an alt, but the time feels wasted, and most people will return to their main shortly after. It would be really nice to be able to switch mains, but even that is practically impossible because it feels like starting all over. So I am stuck running my 52 archon wiz thru act 3 on MP3 endlessly.

4) Way too many items, way too few good ones. I hate my bags filling up with rares in 10 minutes, and all of them ID to vendor trash, over and over. Less drops, more good items!

5) Because the game is all about efficiency, viably builds consist of the highest DPS builds possible that sustain high run speeds. This is about 1-2 builds per character. Find a way to make fights different, adjust some spells, break WW barbs, bring back build diversity and experimentation.

I really want a new game. I am getting so frustrated with Diablo 3 for a variety of reasons, and I am actively looking for a better solution. I am certain I am not alone. Below is a quick list of what is driving me away.

1) The AH is destroying the fun of gearing your character. The intent of a play sessions is to max gold found per hour to increase your buying power. I hate it. I want to find my upgrades!

2) The runs are exactly the same over and over. No variety, events arent worth doing, all monsters are virtually the same because of the Affix design, so all the fights feel the same. Bosses are pointless, so the only unique fights in the game you dont normally do in a run.

3) I want to play alts, but Paragon levels make it inefficient; which limits #1 above, which forces you to stay on 1 character. You can be in the mood for fun, and jump on an alt, but the time feels wasted, and most people will return to their main shortly after. It would be really nice to be able to switch mains, but even that is practically impossible because it feels like starting all over. So I am stuck running my 52 archon wiz thru act 3 on MP3 endlessly.

4) Way too many items, way too few good ones. I hate my bags filling up with rares in 10 minutes, and all of them ID to vendor trash, over and over. Less drops, more good items!

5) Because the game is all about efficiency, viably builds consist of the highest DPS builds possible that sustain high run speeds. This is about 1-2 builds per character. Find a way to make fights different, adjust some spells, break WW barbs, bring back build diversity and experimentation.

1. No one keeps you from playing self-found only, like some others do. And I'm doing with some of my chars as well. Try it, it's fun. Just ignore the AH. I completely ignore the RMAH, like I ignored trading in D2 at all for 12 years. For me there's no difference if someone has a big credit card or a few billion gold b/c he got lucky and found an OP EF. Some people invest (real) money, some people invest time, some people do neither of that.

2. This is a ridiculous statement, replayability is the one and only thing in D3 that is better than in D2. You get to see about 20-25% of the game on your most efficient route. In D2 the way to 99 meant that you'd have to ignore 95% of the game at all (if you went for the quickest way to 99). Also your statement is so ridiculous, you're complaining about "no variety" but at the same time you want unique boss fights? Sigh...

3. Agree.

4. Disagree, play Torchlight and you'll see how boring it is if every 3rd item is mind-blowing. It's nice for a few hours but soon you'll just lose interest because there's no shiny rare gem to hunt for.

5. The efficiency song again. Well, if you don't like the cookie cutter builds, you have to sacrifice something, and efficiency is one thing. I don't like boring low level MP games at the moment, so I go MP10. It's slow, it's not efficient, but it's fun. It's the kind of diversity Diablo 2 never had, btw.

And guess what? It works.

Of course. Making sure things are in tip top shape before release is for pussies.

It's the kind of diversity Diablo 2 never had, btw.

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. One of these days I have to find my backup external HD, see if I can recover my D2 savegames. Then you tell me if you've played as many builds in D3 as the characters I had in that. Hell, hardly anyone has more than one character of each class, and most don't even have one of each! Shows you how 'varied' this game is when it comes to builds.

It's the kind of diversity Diablo 2 never had, btw.

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. One of these days I have to find my backup external HD, see if I can recover my D2 savegames. Then you tell me if you've played as many builds in D3 as the characters I had in that. Hell, hardly anyone has more than one character of each class, and most don't even have one of each! Shows you how 'varied' this game is when it comes to builds.

Hm, this was more with regard to the content, not builds. And in particular I was thinking about the MP levels, which (at least for me) add some nice depth to the game. Diversity of builds is a different story, true. (And don't even start with diversity of items...)
    SIMPLE things they can do: Add duelling and hostile mode option.

More difficult thing they could/should do: Have a story mode and an exploration mode like GW2.
    After I've cleared all the acts I shouldn't be bound by quests or not able to move freely throught all 4 acts. Seriously the game has 10 more years of technology and we can't move between acts!?

we heard it all before. RMAH is the death of d3, gold inflation is destroying the game, this game is dying because 50% population quit
    and here we are still running. where are all those doomsday prophet now? move along. u like it u play it, if you don't go play some other game

I think it's funny that you tell people to not play the game because they voice an opinion on why the game is dying.

D3's population has almost nothing to do with how you enjoy the game. So it doesn't matter if 10,000 people are playing 100,000,000 people are playing. Why the discussion?

SIMPLE things they can do: Add duelling and hostile mode option.

More difficult thing they could/should do: Have a story mode and an exploration mode like GW2.
    After I've cleared all the acts I shouldn't be bound by quests or not able to move freely throught all 4 acts. Seriously the game has 10 more years of technology and we can't move between acts!?

They can't even figure out PvP yet. What do you think?

I wish they'd change the loot system. I'm totally okay with less legendaries as long as when they do drop they're actually of some use. It's a little disheartening to get so many and have 1/500 actually be worth something lol.

I have a few ideas that could possible maybe make the game fun again but I can't even post on their forums because I don't pay monthly for WoW.
    Much like organizations, once they stop gaining new members or players, it starts to die.

My buddies and I, who are in our late 20's now, who played so much D2, haven't touched D3 in over 2 months. We've just gotten bored. Theres no reason for us to play. Gear Grinds aren't even a reason...
    It will do like D2 for me... Stop playing for awhile than come back playing than stop than come back again.

It's seem to me like i'm an alcool addict that can't never stop thinking of BEER all the time lol.
    Forget my bad grammar English is not my native language.
    This game died to me long ago. I'm expecting a Diablo 4 to come out of an entirely new team in about 10 years that will either wipe the slate clean (by actually being a good game) or else bury the franchise completely (which D3 is in the process of doing quite admirably).

What's sad is right now, I don't know if I even care if they release a new game to resurrect the name. Actually, that's a lie. I know that if they created a new game with the current development team, it would be utter tripe (case in point, D3). So I can only hope for the future.

It's too bad. I wanted D3 so bad before it was announced. And then every subsequent press release from Blizzard after the announcement seemed to make that huge grin of anticipation fade away bit by bit, until nothing was left.

1. No one keeps you from playing self-found only, like some others do. And I'm doing with some of my chars as well. Try it, it's fun. Just ignore the AH. I completely ignore the RMAH, like I ignored trading in D2 at all for 12 years. For me there's no difference if someone has a big credit card or a few billion gold b/c he got lucky and found an OP EF. Some people invest (real) money, some people invest time, some people do neither of that.

2. This is a ridiculous statement, replayability is the one and only thing in D3 that is better than in D2. You get to see about 20-25% of the game on your most efficient route. In D2 the way to 99 meant that you'd have to ignore 95% of the game at all (if you went for the quickest way to 99). Also your statement is so ridiculous, you're complaining about "no variety" but at the same time you want unique boss fights? Sigh...

3. Agree.

4. Disagree, play Torchlight and you'll see how boring it is if every 3rd item is mind-blowing. It's nice for a few hours but soon you'll just lose interest because there's no shiny rare gem to hunt for.

5. The efficiency song again. Well, if you don't like the cookie cutter builds, you have to sacrifice something, and efficiency is one thing. I don't like boring low level MP games at the moment, so I go MP10. It's slow, it's not efficient, but it's fun. It's the kind of diversity Diablo 2 never had, btw.

1) I am playing the game the way it was designed. The fact that you have to make up fake game modes to have fun only proves the design is flawed.

2) If I was comparing D2 and D3, your statement would be a great one. But I am assessing D3 on my opinion of the game on its own, therefore your rational of "D3 isnt like D2, so it's worse" doesnt really prove anything or refute my statement. Also....

" Also your statement is so ridiculous, you're complaining about "no variety" but at the same time you want unique boss fights?"

Not sure whats confusing here......it kind of sounds like you don't know what unique means.

4) 1st, once again this isnt a comparison of D3 and Torchlight. 2nd, Ive played Torchlight and every 3rd item is not amazing. 3rd, I never asked for every item to be exactly the same worth, in fact I never said the range of bad to good should change at all. I just said we get too many items per hour, and 99.99% of them suck. I'd rather have 1/10th the items, and 10 times the quality. So per hour, you end up with the same number of good items, but you remove the clutter. But you are correct, Torchlight isnt D3....good observation.

5) The fun for me and many RPG players is progressing your characters. The game is also designed with the goal of progressing your character. Once again, if the game design fails to make that fun for the player, so you have to make up fake game modes to have fun, that is a problem.
    all the world of warcraft spoiled kids left the game, the diehard diablo 1/2 players are still playing....so game isnt dying....its just that blizzard did a good job promoting this game and made all wow nerds buy it :P
    @KingKongor Most of WOW nerds got D3 for free with the 1 year WOW subscription. Maybe giving D3 to every WOW subscriber whould be a good idea to bring some new players.

Found this D2 articles on IGN, seems D2 wasn't so spectacular at launch either: ign.com/articles/2000/07/08/diablo-ii-2

Some players left the game because of AH/RMAH. While economy in a game has it's downfalls(you can't quit for 1 month or your gear will be absolete, everyone is in a hurry uses only the most efficient builds) this economy/trading makes you feel character progression "on your skin". Self found is not at option here. How long I have to wait for a Chantodo's Force with high DPS, APOC 9/10 and 4-5 Meteor cost reduction? Years ! What if I want 3000 LOH or 2000 life regen on my monk? In D2 if you found an epic item for another class you had to roll that class to use it. Also due to economy/trading you must have knowledge in this game or you are not going anywhere. Sometimes you are gambling by investing in items that may or may not devaluate. Those people with no knowledge are making flipping more profitable that farming for some players.

Some people don't like the new skill tree system. In D2 I was nerfed with every patch. I started my sorceress 2 times, then they nerfed meteor fire to 2 seconds. The fixed tree system can cause a lot of problems in pvp.

Also due to the random nature of drops you can have a huge variation just like in poker. People wanted better drops. They dont understand that everyone will have better drops and the prices will plummet.

Hope pvp will bring more people, and players get over the "creditcard warriors" thing. You will be matched agains players with similar gear and win/lose ration. Obviously while some people make money using RMAH some players have to spend money there. You don't have to use it. No one is forcing you. You can finish the game with 1 mil worth of gear. Ohh..you want to show off your gear to your friends?You cry that prices are too damn high and some items are listed for 2 bil? Why you need that item?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes