Is D3 dying?

some folks want regular updates like a mmo even though there's no fee. that's a major part of the problem for complainers whether they admit it or not. fact is almost any other game would give you many less hours of playtime than what people have spent on d3. i could understand the complaints if d3 had a fee, but it's a one time purchase.

if you want a game that's updated with new content then go play WoW/insert your mmo here
    Quote from TehAdi

Quote from overneathe

I know very well how botting works. It's part of my job to know things that involve Diablo. And the bots don't take even 5% of the Diablo population. :)
    Right... 5% :D And 5% is able to influence the economy so much. You don't know nothing. Sorry.

Quote from overneathe

So what you're saying is Diablo 3 is a game? If a game doesn't get patches it dies out? Welcome to gaming circa 1980.
    You don't get my point. I'm not talking about "patches". I'm talking about new content they add (mp levels, paragons, ubers, new legendary stats etc). They added these because they had to. Too much rage on forums i guess.

edit: After thinking about it bots do hold a good deal of the items on the AH, but their prices, I'm very confident, are driven by players. Not to mention bots mostly stay on the RMAH. But more than 5% of the player base? I'll need some proof for that. Present me some. :)

On your second point, MP, Paragon and Ubers were all "patches". Major patches usually bring content. They also didn't add this because they "had to", but because Blizzard _always_ adds new content to all their games. The ideas could've been influenced by the community, but the existence of the content would've made its way to live in any case. And more content will always be developed. Even if the player base falls to sub-1mil.
    Quote from overneathe

On your second point, MP, Paragon and Ubers were all "patches". Major patches usually bring content. They also didn't add this because they "had to", but because Blizzard _always_ adds new content to all their games. The ideas could've been influenced by the community, but the existence of the content would've made its way to live in any case. And more content will always be developed. Even if the player base falls to sub-1mil.
    All of this was forced to be out by raging community. Same with the difficulty level in 1.04 and so on. Same with the doubled legendary drop rate. Also i can remember Blizz saying they are don't have any new content in plans until PvP release. But that was long long long ago. I will post it if i find it.
    For now on, the pigeon guy was right. EOT
    Quote from brx

completely revamp the itemisation would be the one thing to start with, it would bring back the most players players at once.
    (see: http://imageshack.us...fographic.jpg#1 )

This.. this, and a little more of this.

Also, make the AH non mandatory, for fucks sake, thanks.
    My 12 friends don't play anymore : the game is dying.

I find the game to be too repetitive and i'm getting kinda bored after 300 hours : the game is dying.

The game has a few flaws that got me very upset sometimes : the game is dying.

It's been three weeks since the last patch : the game is dying.

I can't get a well rolled echoing fury : the game is dying.

I got licked to death because I set the MP too high : the game is dying.

This is called being too "self-centered "

No, the world is not coming to an end because of whatever bugs you personnaly.

As much as I would like to tell you that, since you stopped playing, the servers went into a blast of flammes and brimstone, Blizzard went bankrupt, and every other players brought the axe to their once beloved collector copie: that is not the case. The world will not stop to spin once you cease to breath. You are not that unique and precious snowflake.

The game will go on, with or without your approval and with or without you playing it.
    Quote from Indimix

Quote from brx

completely revamp the itemisation would be the one thing to start with, it would bring back the most players players at once.
    (see: http://imageshack.us...fographic.jpg#1 )

This.. this, and a little more of this.

Also, make the AH non mandatory, for fucks sake, thanks.

The AH isnt mandatory. My wiz has all drops from... ready... myself and my wife (weapon was from my buddy which dropped for him when i was playing with him). None of my gear that I am using or have used on this char is bought. I do have more then one char you could say farming but out of my gear the only things that didn't come from me are my rings, shoulders (wife) and weapon. Hell my helm and wrist dropped within 2 minutes of each other 2 days ago. Did I luck out on RNG, you bet i did but in the end RNG is RNG.

kothor#1624.

and for everyone saying my friends aren't playing anymore.. well I am in the same boat... they are still playing WoW (go figure) or moved on to other games. basically 3 of us left out of 15 or so who tried it. Does that make the game dead? not to me or my wife or my buddy who play couple hours every day or two.
    Quote from TehAdi

All of this was forced to be out by raging community. Same with the difficulty level in 1.04 and so on. Same with the doubled legendary drop rate. Also i can remember Blizz saying they are don't have any new content in plans until PvP release. But that was long long long ago. I will post it if i find it.
    For now on, the pigeon guy was right. EOT

Believe what you want to believe. Blizzard did say at the start of the game that they wont be adding new content - here's a link. Companies might want to change their stances on certain things over time, but it looks like they get slammed in the dirt for doing so. Guess they shouldn't have added those features. You'd be happier then, no?
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from TehAdi

Quote from overneathe

And they sell to each other! The economy is thriving.
    Nope, the botters sell the items their bots pick up.
    I think the half of the accounts online right now is botting :) If you know anything about botting community you would know how it works.
    But i posted it in different topic so nvm, keep on topic here.

I know very well how botting works. It's part of my job to know things that involve Diablo. And the bots don't take even 5% of the Diablo population. :)

True, if more than 50% of the playerbase would be bots then in average every player would have had to buy at least 200~400mil for the goldprices to stay this high.
    Quote from overneathe

There is no "dying" in Diablo 3. The game can operate even with 100 people playing it.

quoting this, since its the easiest and shortest response to this thread.
    ----

The game is fun. And im still playing it. Also diablo did die... on normal, and nightmare... and hell.... and inferno.. On hardcore. But wer still going to kill him moar and moar.
    The game died a week after it's release. I don't see how the people who still play the game can handle it.

I had fun in normal, it was ok in nightmare, hell was bleh and then inferno just ruined it for me. I am not going to grind that much for items to make the same grind easier in the end.

Somehow, in Diablo 2, grinding just felt worth it. Even though it was basically the same as this one, it just wasn't done well with this game.
    Quote from overneathe

There is no "dying" in Diablo 3. The game can operate even with 100 people playing it.

Really? I have been on some WoW servers that were pretty badly populated. I can assure you NO IT CANT. One reason alone. NO AUCTION HOUSE. Go to a bottom of the barell wow server and look at the AH. Theres nothing for sale because theres hardly anyone on that server. Just because D3 doesnt have a sub and had high release sales doesnt mean it can function with 100 or even 100,000 players. It needs millions or the AH and RMAH wont work. Why do you think everyone is having such a hard time now selling anything compared to a few weeks after launch? Its because theres so few players left that everyone is either uber geared or cant afford to be uber geared because entry-mid level gear is so damn dirt cheap they will never make enough gold to buy upgrades unless they played for 2 years.
    Quote from ruksak

I will say this;

There are going to be throngs of very pissed off people here in 6-8 months time when D3 finally turns that corner. Thousands of impatient game-hoppers that sold out all their gears and haven't been para-leveling their chars will be SOOOO far behind.

Blizzard will make a motherfucking killing via the RMAH when these quitters come flooding back, not wanting to have to play catch-up, they'll be emptying their bank accounts fast as shit.
    I just think that if 'catching up' cannot be done without spending real money they'll quit again real fast.

Anyway what am I saying, it is not like they are going to patch the game and change itemisation any time soon, and not that they can it too. Go tell the people that spent money on badly designed gear that it is obsolete now. I don't see blizzard pushing this outside of an expansion so it might be way more than 6-8 months of wait ahead.

Quote from ruksak

Quote from Psychatog

There are so many WTF posts in this thread I dont even... The game is nowhere near as good as D2, and I cant argue with anyone that ways otherwise because I feel like this.
    Can you not see that it could be? With a years time, the proper implementation of change and player feedback, D3 could easily trump D2 into dust.

The combat and replayability is so far beyond anything that D2 offered I feel silly even having to point it out. They've laid a great foundation and need only build atop it with Blizzards trademark brilliance.
    It begs the questions of why was it not here in the first place, and why does it take so long to be implented?

The reality is ladders, game and chat rooms are never going to be implented. Cookie cutter build are still too few and this can only be changed through dramatically revamping itemisation (or adding new spells....), yet it can't be done. D2 will never fit in d3 at this rate.

Quote from Greenjoke

some folks want regular updates like a mmo even though there's no fee. that's a major part of the problem for complainers whether they admit it or not. fact is almost any other game would give you many less hours of playtime than what people have spent on d3. i could understand the complaints if d3 had a fee, but it's a one time purchase.

if you want a game that's updated with new content then go play WoW/insert your mmo here
    yet the game very much needs patching and new content. It was rushed and is not on par with what was expected of it. You should understand that. But I understand very much what you are saying and I think a lot of people would have liked the game to be this one time stand alone buy without all the blue posts bs wow style.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
    Quote from Ally25

Quote from overneathe

Really? I have been on some WoW servers that were pretty badly populated. I can assure you NO IT CANT. One reason alone. NO AUCTION HOUSE. Go to a bottom of the barell wow server and look at the AH. Theres nothing for sale because theres hardly anyone on that server. Just because D3 doesnt have a sub and had high release sales doesnt mean it can function with 100 or even 100,000 players. It needs millions or the AH and RMAH wont work. Why do you think everyone is having such a hard time now selling anything compared to a few weeks after launch? Its because theres so few players left that everyone is either uber geared or cant afford to be uber geared because entry-mid level gear is so damn dirt cheap they will never make enough gold to buy upgrades unless they played for 2 years.

Maybe ladder restarts, like in D2 would do well?
    Quote from Ally25

Quote from overneathe

WoW is a cooperative game by design and the AH there is of great importance, since not everyone can have all professions to farm everything they need/want. In D3 though we actually have many purists that don't buy anything off the AH even now and they're doing pretty good. The Auction House is not mandatory at all contrary to popular belief. I rarely use it for anything other than starting gear which I could've gotten from my main in a few runs anyway. Would it be BIS gear? Of course not. But that character would be able to play on his own.

Also the way I see it right now is that the AH is split among the average players and the "pro" players. The average guys look for some nice pieces sub 5 million, while the pro players are getting gear for 100m+. The sad reality is that all very useful gear automatically goes for 100m+ because when such an item drops players automatically think they can benefit from the pro players who'd buy that thing immediately. That's even usually the case. That's how some players jump over the "hump" as some have called it. Going from average to pro.

While at the same time the pro players just constantly trade in 100m+ gear. So both the lower tier and higher of the AH work on their own, but there's not that much BIS gear, while there are millions of items that are subpar, simply because that's the majority of items that drop for the majority that is the average player.

Now if the population would be to drastically fall to your estimate of "even 100 000 players"... I don't see what would change? There would be much fewer items to chose from, sure, but the way these items are acquired would still be there - grinding. If anything, when the base is so low Blizz might even up the drop rate of items to keep player happiness at a good level.

Also, at the start of the game everyone was buying everything in the AH. Of course. Because no one still had great items. They don't just start with them. You have to grind hundreds of hours for them. At a certain point a good chunk of players is already greatly geared but still grinds and gets good drops that just collect dust on the AH since, again, a good chunk of players is already greatly geared... but some of them haven't gone over the "hump" to get to the hundreds of millions number.

I don't have anything to support this, of course. I'm no expert by all means. Just the way I see things. If you want, go into detail and explain how I'm wrong. I like reading. :)

Also what is your source of "theres so few players left"?
    Quote from brx

Go tell the people that spent money on badly designed gear that it is obsolete now. I don't see blizzard pushing this outside of an expansion so it might be way more than 6-8 months of wait ahead.

Anyone whom is spending a great deal of money on items this early on are BEGGING to get burnt. Diablo 3 appears to be taking the same evolutionary path that Diablo 2 followed, and this bodes well for the players. D3's first breath of life was every bit as uninspired as D2's premiere.

Expect an x-pac by late summer 2013.

It begs the questions of why was it not here in the first place, and why does it take so long to be implemented?

I cannot argue this. I would pose that same question toward the state of Legendary items at launch. Seriously, someone in charge actually looked at those items and gave them a green light, which is extremely disturbing and shows a very serious disconnect with what the players wanted.

The 1.04 Legendary revamp was a step in the right direction. However it was rushed, sloppy and incomplete. Many of the Legendary items are still 100% non-viable endgame.

The reality is ladders....................are never going to be implemented.

Good. I hated Ladder play. I wouldn't mind it's existence if they implemented it without including awesome items for Ladder only play like D2. That was bullshit.

The potential for D3 is extraordinary. ....sky-high......

I strongly disagree with anyone whom asserts that D3 is somehow beyond repair. Such a statement is shortsighted and ignorant (not aiming that at you, BRX).
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from Ally25

Its because theres so few players left that everyone is either uber geared or cant afford to be uber geared because entry-mid level gear is so damn dirt cheap they will never make enough gold to buy upgrades unless they played for 2 years.

lol....NO...

The reason why it's hard to sell items now is because people have greatly tightened their specificity. A good example is a rare chest I found a few weeks back.

3 soc
    60 Dex
    120 Vita
    60 AR
    +230 armor

3 months ago I sold a similar chest for 15 mil

I was unable to sell the chest above, a few weeks ago, for even 1 mil.

This isn't because D3 is dead. It is quite the opposite.

A sign that D3 is dead would be having a really nice CC Mempo and having trouble selling it.
    BurningRope#1322
    Yea, it's dying. Thanks to inactive Blizzard.
    -> Spend hours leveling paragorn, upgrading bit by bit my gear
    -> just rush, rush, rush, rush to find those beloved legendaries
    -> WTf am i playing at,
    -> go diablofans just like everyday, see multiboxing and botting videos, start researching
    -> Now, Why the fuck am i still playing
    -> Sell everything, afk going to play something worthwhile

Quote from ruksak

I will say this;

There are going to be throngs of very pissed off people here in 6-8 months time when D3 finally turns that corner. Thousands of impatient game-hoppers that sold out all their gears and haven't been para-leveling their chars will be SOOOO far behind.

Blizzard will make a motherfucking killing via the RMAH when these quitters come flooding back, not wanting to have to play catch-up, they'll be emptying their bank accounts fast as shit.

do you take seriously what you are saying? do you want players to keep playing under the expectancy of the game being worthwhile in 6-8 monhts? DIABLO 3 MORTGAGE EDITION
    Quote from Youarefired

The game died a week after it's release. I don't see how the people who still play the game can handle it.

I had fun in normal, it was ok in nightmare, hell was bleh and then inferno just ruined it for me. I am not going to grind that much for items to make the same grind easier in the end.

Somehow, in Diablo 2, grinding just felt worth it. Even though it was basically the same as this one, it just wasn't done well with this game.

Thanks for your constructive comment that isn't even based on the current D3 version.
    Quote from Lolypop

do you take seriously what you are saying? do you want players to keep playing under the expectancy of the game being worthwhile in 6-8 monhts? DIABLO 3 MORTGAGE EDITION

I'll leave you with this;

You cannot see the wood because there are too many trees in the way.

Of course I do not expect people to play a game they do not enjoy in the hopes that they may enjoy it next year. I'm saying, if a player enjoys the game but feels it is falling short, keep at it and you will be ahead of the curve when D3 finally turns that corner.
    BurningRope#1322
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes