Is D3 dying?

Flashback: it's May 2012 and geeks are coming in their pants over a new release. The D3 RMAH has attracted much interest and investment, the storyline is new albeit terrible and gamers around the world want to power through the content, get the best gear and claim a victory over the domions of hell.

Flashforward: it's December 2012 and the dwindling Nephalem numbers are all farming A3, have given up trying to get a quinfecta hellfire ring and are trying to sell their warez on the RMAH to no avail. There is nothing new about the game, even 'new' builds are sub-par, the mindless purging of inferno has become monotonous to say the least and the PvP pipeline has become something that the development team use to lure children into their oversized automobiles.

What in the way of new content would lure gamers back to D3?

Could D3 ever live up to its predecessors?

Why on earth would anyone give a sh*t about paragon 100?
    The same reason people lvl'd to 99 in D2?

Diablo is NOT an MMO, there is no monthly fee, im not sure why you would think there would be constant new content without a full expansion release?

Once they add PvP, Diablo 3 will literally have more endgame content then D2:LoD ever did.

Also, fun fact:

There are already more Diablo 3 players then Diablo 2 players. (imagine what will happen when the first x pack hits.)
    Quote from Chazzamuffin

Flashback: it's May 2012 and geeks are coming in their pants over a new release. The D3 RMAH has attracted much interest and investment, the storyline is new albeit terrible and gamers around the world want to power through the content, get the best gear and claim a victory over the domions of hell.

Flashforward: it's December 2012 and the dwindling Nephalem numbers are all farming A3, have given up trying to get a quinfecta hellfire ring and are trying to sell their warez on the RMAH to no avail. There is nothing new about the game, even 'new' builds are sub-par, the mindless purging of inferno has become monotonous to say the least and the PvP pipeline has become something that the development team use to lure children into their oversized automobiles.

People say the community is still thriving, but it really isnt. Its mostly stagnated and dead, just at a much larger degree than most games. A game can stagnate and die with 100k concurrent users, its just weird and rare. Nothing apart from admitting they were retarded and completely changing the game via an expensive (to cover the costs of completely rebuilding the game) expansion to make it Diablo 2.5 will save this game.

Edit: Further Clarification- The game is fine as is, it is easily a 7/10, and is well worth the 40 USD or however much it costs now. But Diablo 2 was worth its weight in gold, and easily could have sold copies for 200 USD and still be worth every penny. PvP will NOT add more end game content than Diablo 2 had, that statement is the most ignorant Ive seen in a while IMHO. Crafting ALONE in D2 was more end game content than this game has all together. Runes / other socketing ALONE is more content than D3 has altogether.
    completely revamp the itemisation would be the one thing to start with, it would bring back the most players players at once.
    (see: http://imageshack.us...fographic.jpg#1 )
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
    Quote from AudioCG

There are already more Diablo 3 players then Diablo 2 players. (imagine what will happen when the first x pack hits.)

already? it's a lot more. diablo 2 is a classic, but the numbers are a bit unfair since the times changed. though i'd guess 10x more is not an exaggeration...
    other things changed too: some people overtook a lot of forums (blizz forums etc...) crying all day that they want blizz to do everything they want and now. well some people are unhappy with the game, but in my opinion, that's the "loud" 1% that refuses to just stop playing what they dont like.

its a nice game and i have only played maybe 3 times for longer hours. if you buy a game nowadays, you play it in 2 days - 2 weeks. maybe later again. compare diablo to that and it's game of the year ;) that differs in online games, but i think diablo is, if all a solo/coop game.
    Yes.

Diablo 3 is dying.

Blizzard is nothing more than a lifeless shell. A shadow of it's former grand self.

The whole world is going to an end in less than two weeks and all the dead animals will rise from their graves, hungry for human flesh.

And Justin Bieber will probably grow a beard.

Now joke asside, let's play the flashback/forward game.

May 2012: D3 is released. Some angry haters claim that it will never work and that the game is already dead.

December 2012: those guys are still here. Some have played a few hundred hours and secretly enjoyed the game. They still claim it's dead. Or will at least die soon... just a few more elites, and the game is dead... but wait, i'm nearly lv 45, might as well kill some more things but right after that... deadest game in the wo... woo! Shiny! If I just sell that and buy a new pair of boots, I might be able to farm a higher mp level! Yup. Dead game.

I just don't understand those doomsayers types. What is your problem seriously? Are you being held at gunpoint to farm some more? I don't think so. If you don't like the game, you should quit and find another: there is plenty of other good game out there. Why the need to ask others if it's dead or not? Can't you just decide what you are playing for yourself?

It's like, those people enjoy the game, but they fear it's not hype anymore, so if they admit they are still playing, all their hipsters friends will sudenly shun them. So they ask for confirmation to other people " Is it still fun? Because i'm playing and it feels like i'm having fun but i'm not sure until someone else tells me it's fun. Preferably someone cool... "
    There is no "dying" in Diablo 3. The game can operate even with 100 people playing it.
    Quote from Slayardarklaws

i'm having fun but i'm not sure until someone else tells me it's fun. Preferably someone cool... "

:Thumbs Up:
    Quote from overneathe

There is no "dying" in Diablo 3. The game can operate even with 100 people playing it.

Quoting this is a lot easier then writing a huge long rant. Ty overneathe =D
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from brx

completely revamp the itemisation would be the one thing to start with, it would bring back the most players players at once.
    (see: http://imageshack.us...fographic.jpg#1 )

If Blizz indeed have done this, it "could" bring hardcore D2 fans back but it will certainly piss off a large group of D3 fans who had accustomed to D3 system. D3 is not D2, what had worked in D2 won't work in D3 at all,

It's like, those people enjoy the game, but they fear it's not hype anymore, so if they admit they are still playing, all their hipsters friends will sudenly shun them. So they ask for confirmation to other people " Is it still fun? Because i'm playing and it feels like i'm having fun but i'm not sure until someone else tells me it's fun. Preferably someone cool... "

Your dissent is misplaced, sir. Allow me to redirect ur intellectual prowess:

Quote from Psychatog

Quote from Chazzamuffin

People say the community is still thriving, but it really isnt. Its mostly stagnated and dead, just at a much larger degree than most games. A game can stagnate and die with 100k concurrent users, its just weird and rare. Nothing apart from admitting they were retarded and completely changing the game via an expensive (to cover the costs of completely rebuilding the game) expansion to make it Diablo 2.5 will save this game.

Edit: Further Clarification- The game is fine as is, it is easily a 7/10, and is well worth the 40 USD or however much it costs now. But Diablo 2 was worth its weight in gold, and easily could have sold copies for 200 USD and still be worth every penny. PvP will NOT add more end game content than Diablo 2 had, that statement is the most ignorant Ive seen in a while IMHO. Crafting ALONE in D2 was more end game content than this game has all together. Runes / other socketing ALONE is more content than D3 has altogether.

Damn, that was pretty spot on.
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    OMG Pindle/Baal runs were sooo much fun! And before that never-ending Meph runs were sooo much fun! /nostalgia

Are you serious? You can actually run the game in Inferno from start to finish and get pretty good incentives for doing it. Is it as efficient as endless A3 runs? No, but don't even pretend for a second that Blizzard is somehow forcing you to do what is most efficient, or forcing you to play A3 when they've done everything possible to say "hey, look, act 1!" Your gametime, your choice. Do what is fun.

D2 was very good for its time. I had a lot of fun playing it. D3 is better. I have more fun. The trick is to break it up. Just because paragon gives you something to do on one character doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Go play hardcore until you lose a character in Inferno. Play a new softcore character if you don't have a 60 of each class yet (why don't you?). Try some achievements.

People just burned out too fast. This is why I'm glad I took it slow the first couple months, even if it potentially cost me hundreds if not thousands of dollars in ahead of the curve farming.
    Quote from Chazzamuffin

My main problem with comparing it to its predecessor is that hardly works for ANY game that started 10+ years ago. Wether is FF, Dragon Quest, Diablo, Warcraft, whatever. One of the largest issues is the cost that goes into constructing the graphics and physics in these games and making sure they all work within the confines of a game.

How big was Doom2. It was hailed as a marvel of shooting design and for all its failures is still a fun game. But now we have shooters that are frankly vastly superior but 1/10th the length because constructing the game worlds are just so complicated now.

In terms of in game complexity D3 is a more complex thing in the way it interacts with itself. The sad part is that making a direct comparison to D2 is just hard. Let alone D2:LoD. There are so many changed variables that you need to dig down into it and in the end it is a personal thing that every player just needs to decide themselves. As was said there are other games (closer to D2 even) then D3 is and no one should feel bad about switching. The greatest thing in this gaming market is choice (assuming the other choice doesn't last for 3 hours).

Paragon 100. Is it necessary to reach. no. Will people do it because they find it fun. Hell yes. Its something else. And it doesn't really impact the everyday player, its just there and a nice extra. To the hardcore who cares its something else to aim for.

As to weather it is dying, frankly it doesn't matter. What constitutes dying. Frankly they dont really need that many people to be running the servers. The only clear thing i can agree on from my perspective is battle.net in its current incarnation is abysmal. If some good changes come down the path the make it better (for all Blizzard games - especially SC2) then great.

In the end I am having fun. And for a game thats all i care about.
    Quote from Chazzamuffin

It's not that misplaced. Unless I have misread the title of the thread?

You may have some interesting questions, but "Is it dying?" is not a good one. I'm sorry.

It saddens me to say it, but people are stupid, if you didn't know. You could be in a room playing D3 with a million people, If you stand up and shout "Diablo 3 is dead" there are some who will believe you and leave. Event though you have no proof. Then there will be the ones that notice that some people are leaving, and think" well some guy said it's dead, and now people are leaving then it must be true. Maybe I should leave too before it gets...deader..." Then there's more people leaving. Finally there are those who pick up the word and shout " Diablo 3 is dead!" because they thirst for attention, because they like to piss people of, because they like those kind of punchlines, because they like to repeat things, because they have a blind hatred for big companies like Blizzard... because, with everyone shouting and leaving, they feel like they may be right.

So, what to do to keep gamers playing diablo 3 you ask? What to do to lure some new player?

Stop saying it's dead for a start.

Now your other question:

About parangon lv 100.

Parangon lv is nice. It's good design. You're taking it by the wrong end. The average player doesn't give a shit about lv 100 that's right. He is really more interested in the next lv at hand with bonus mf and bonus stats. Of course there are all those first plv 100 that are hyped. Everyone only talks about lv 100, and those who know they will never reach it in time to make the news, they say they don't care about the system at all. For obvious reasons. Well, i'm an average player and I care. My barbarian is lv 46, and i'm very interested in what's next for me at lv 47, the way I will care about lv 100 when I'm lv 99.

Could D3 live up to it's predecessor?

Your question is not a question. It's a double statement. With this "question" you are stating that:

- D3 doesn't live up yet to it's predecessor - Wich is entirely your opinion.

- D3 should be reworked in a way that makes it play more like it's predecessor - Wich is entirely your opinion.

I don't wholy disagree with those statements. But in general, I dislike people who act like they are asking my opinion but are already telling me what I should feel and think. And I dislike all this nostalgia vote crap. Diablo 1 will always be the best game in the world for me but I played it when I was 12. Things gotta change with time.

What in the way of new content would lure new players?

There are already tons of improvement suggestion threads. I already made mine in a few ones. They are not very original. Same demands keep showing up. Because D3's community is pretty much alive, and they know that to some extent, Blizzard is listening.

Improved crafting is probably on the way. I wouldn't be surprised if endless dungeon makes it through...
    I only log in to relist auctions, and to look for deals on the AH. That's it. I miss baals laugh. I miss being able to jump between acts without leaving the game. I miss the necromancer. I miss deckard cain. I miss runewords. I miss the public game list. Seeing peoples hero's standing around in chatrooms. Trivia bots. I am sad clown.

I am still excited for PvP though.
    Quote from Noomba

I only log in to relist auctions, and to look for deals on the AH. That's it. I miss baals laugh. I miss being able to jump between acts without leaving the game. I miss the necromancer. I miss deckard cain. I miss runewords. I miss the public game list. Seeing peoples hero's standing around in chatrooms. Trivia bots. I am sad clown.

It looks like whatever Blizzard did with D3 you'd be unhappy. Unless clone D2. :)
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from Noomba

It looks like whatever Blizzard did with D3 you'd be unhappy. Unless clone D2. :)

you sir are trying too hard.

@Keiser: of course people burned out fast, there is so very little item diversity. main stat, weapon damage, ias, crit, main stat gems, green on weapons. whoohoo. There is no point. I'll take back pindleskin and baal runs against that any day.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
    I was just playing Diablo 3 and i could barely keep my eyes open. I really felt like sleeping. That never happened to me while playing Diablo 2, ever, even if i just had the most tiresome day. Back in those days i could just play forever! All-nights, even after being the entire afternoon playing soccer or whatever. I don't know, i just dont feel the game as exciting as before. This however doesn't mean i'm not having fun. Nor that the game is bad. It's just that it's not as good as Diablo 2. But i suppose that's exactly what this is all about. Two different games.

If it is dying? Nah, it'll probably last just as long as Diablo 2 did (or still does, i dont know, havent checked it yet and people tell me it's very different). It just wont be as fun.

Just to clarify, once again, im not saying D3 is bad! Im just pointing things from my perspective.
    imageshack.us/a/img689/8853/infographic.jpg#1 sums it up so damn well. Especially with the items that had other classes skills. Damn was it fun to build your character around other skills. Best of all - Talen trees. So much diversity, and you always grew more powerfull with even the crappiest item as long as it had talents on it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes