MP0 vs MP1 farming

Hey.

I vaguely recall a statement by Blizzard, that the item affixes only get the level of the monsters they dropped from, if you play on at least monster power 1. If this is true, MP0 would be significantly less effective than MP1, even if you only farm lvl 63 monsters in act 3, since you couldn't pick up any item below lvl 63, without lvl 63 affixes most of them are worthless, which significantly reduces your chance for a good drop.

However, I cannot seem to find that statement anywhere, is it true? Or did I just make it up from the fact, that for each act to drop all items with lvl 63 affixes, you would need to enable monster power?
    For act 1 and 2, you should go with MP1; on act 3 and 4 it doesn't matter, it's always monster level 63.

I think we actually discussed this very recently... just found it, here: http://www.diablofan...45#entry1087745

Edit: Also found the blue source for what you mentioned:

Affixes on items will now roll their level based on the level of the monster killed rather than the item's level (this applies to all items including random affixes on Legendary and set items)

http://us.battle.net//d3/en/blog/7528695

I just came across an important note that one should keep in mind:

If an item's level is higher than the monster's level, the affixes will roll at the item's level instead. We felt this was an important exception to make, because players farming Act I of Inferno without anyMonster Power may still get ilevel 62 and 63 items from sub-63 monsters, and we want to make sure that those items are still good.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558918#7

What this essentially means is that on MP0 act 1 level 58-62 items and on MP0 act 2 level 59-61 items can't roll level 63 affixes. Other than that, there's no big difference (however, that in itself already is quite a big difference)
    Quote from Bagstone
    Affixes on items will now roll their level based on the level of the monster killed rather than the item's level (this applies to all items including random affixes on Legendary and set items)

I was under the imagination that this only applied to an monster power enabled scenario.
    No, it's the general rule since 1.05. The only thing is that monster power enabled sets all monster levels to 63, and therefore all affix rolls will be item level 63.
    To make sure I understand, you need MP1 for acts 1 and 2 to get iLvl 63 but in acts 3 and 4 you can run on MP0 and still get iLvl 63?

I have been running MP0 in Act 3.
    Quote from Bobcat915

To make sure I understand, you need MP1 for acts 1 and 2 to get iLvl 63 but in acts 3 and 4 you can run on MP0 and still get iLvl 63?

This is correct, Act 3 inferno since the dawn of time has ALWAYS dropped iLVL63 items.

However, to get all drops in Act 1 & Act 2 to also drop iLVL63, must be MP1 minimum.
    Quote from Dwello
    This is correct, Act 3 inferno since the dawn of time has ALWAYS dropped iLVL63 items.

Just a small correction, not that it matters to this topic, but a3 had a CHANCE to drop ilvl 63 loot. Drops could be as low as lvl 50 and the affixes on items were based on that.
    Quote from Dwello

The interesting point is if your ilvl 62 legendary (eg an Echoing Fury) or your jewelry (rings, amulets) will roll ilvl 63 (100% crit damage on weapons, 6% crit on rings,100% crit damage on amulets) stats. According to that blueposts that's true for act 3/4 so no reason to run mp1+ there if you just want most loot and maximum experience (it's 50% hitpoints and +9.6% monster damage for +10% exp & +25% gf/mf).
    Thanks for the answers :)
    Quote from ballon

The interesting point is if your ilvl 62 legendary (eg an Echoing Fury) or your jewelry (rings, amulets) will roll ilvl 63 (100% crit damage on weapons, 6% crit on rings,100% crit damage on amulets) stats.

That is actually not true. Legendary items and sets will always roll affix stats based on their item level:

How about the legendary items?
    Will an ilvl 61 legendary item drop from a lvl 63 monster has 63 affixes?

Just talked with the developers, and they confirmed that Legendary items, vendor items, and crafting items (from the Blacksmith) are not affected by this change. Legendary drops will have the same stats in 1.0.5 as they do currently in 1.0.4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679558918?page=3#56
    Quote from Bagstone

For act 1 and 2, you should go with MP1; on act 3 and 4 it doesn't matter, it's always monster level 63.

I think we actually discussed this very recently... just found it, here: http://www.diablofan...45#entry1087745

Edit: Also found the blue source for what you mentioned:

http://us.battle.net...en/blog/7528695

Quote from Bagstone

That is actually not true. Legendary items and sets will always roll affix stats based on their item level:

How about the legendary items?
    Will an ilvl 61 legendary item drop from a lvl 63 monster has 63 affixes?

Just talked with the developers, and they confirmed that Legendary items, vendor items, and crafting items (from the Blacksmith) are not affected by this change. Legendary drops will have the same stats in 1.0.5 as they do currently in 1.0.4.

http://us.battle.net...58918?page=3#56

The link in the first quote is the actual patch notes while the second one was made 2 weeks prior, so I believe legendaries DO roll lvl 63 affixes now. Easy check, search for Tal's amulet, a lvl 62 set item, and set filter to 10% crit. If it rolled ilvl 62 affixes, it couldn't roll with 10% crit, but there are some on the AH, so it's rolling ilvl 63 affixes.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Aaaah, you're completely right. Should delete the second bookmark. Thanks, that's good to know... and in fact, it's intuitive, I didn't have AH to double check at he time of posting ;-)
    Quote from Dwello

Quote from Bobcat915

However, to get all drops in Act 1 & Act 2 to also drop iLVL63, must be MP1 minimum.

not true
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/Monster_Power_More_Guts_More_Glory-10_11_2012
    act 1 and 2 of inferno with no mp always have the chance to drop ilvl 63 items albeit at reduced rate, this was introduced back before 1.0.4 bumping it to mp1 now make drop chance the same across the board. Having said that, I don't know if its only me, even though all monster should be lvl 63 on mp1 and above, act 2 monsters hits harder than act 3 monsters while act 1 is still too easy, I can always run 1 mp higher than my usual level on act 1 while if i do that in act 2 i get really punished and act 3 is still doable.... funny stuff

I wasn't aware of the monster level affecting item rolls, I quit on 1.0.3 and came back recently. Now it makes sense why I see all these crazy warlords armor and ilvl 58 weapon with very decent stats. still confused though why blizz does that, I guess they want us to pick up all items instead of just razorspikes, archon armors and ilvl63 1h weapons. Armor is still tied to item level though so it could be for your consideration, it could be as high as 100 armor difference per level.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes