Question about %dmg

So far I have been stacking smth like this: "Adds 8% to poison damage" (for example, Zunimassa Trail), and additional 6% + 5% from other pieces totaling in 19%. However I recently dropped "Won Khim Lau" which has "Adds 6% to Lightning damage" and "Lightning skills deal 23% more damage" which made me confused because I thought `Adds x% to dmg` does exactly that. Adding dmg to skills either in multiplicative way or at least additive way (based on same element). Now I am confused. What poison dmg it adds then?
    I have a signature so you can see my post and that post rating count icon (along with hand icon) do not overlay my post. If you do not have a signature, for the sake of others, please make one.
    I am pretty sure that if you look,you will find answers in many threads about similar questions. I am kinda lazy to get into detail atm but in short +% elemental dmg (e.g +5% poison dmg ) means that your weapon's dps (if it is DOES NOT have elemental dmg affix on it) is increased by that %. And ofc +% to lightning skills means exactly what it says. You should also know how to use "physical" dmg spells combined with +% elemental dmg to your advantage but i'll repeat myself...search the forums here,there are some excellent guides/Posts around.
    Ignorance is Bliss.
    I did search. I found the argument of barb cold snare vs wiz cold snare NOT working thingy. From what I read the %ele dmg only applies if:
    1. wep is physical only
    2. you use physical skill.

What if I use poison skill with %poison dmg? Will it work then? I didn't find a clarification for that.
    I have a signature so you can see my post and that post rating count icon (along with hand icon) do not overlay my post. If you do not have a signature, for the sake of others, please make one.
    Here's a bluepost, a thread on these forums and another thread over here.

Quote from tommmmmm

I did search. I found the argument of barb cold snare vs wiz cold snare NOT working thingy. From what I read the %ele dmg only applies if:
    1. wep is physical only
    2. you use physical skill.

What if I use poison skill with %poison dmg? Will it work then? I didn't find a clarification for that.

1. Not correct. If the weapon is not physical only, the bonus will be smaller - it will simply only be applied to the physical damage dealt. For example, if your weapon has 900-600 damage and a 600-400 fire damage affix, then the elemental bonus damage will only be applied to 33% of the damage dealt. The fire damage part of your character sheet DPS does not gain the bonus damage.
    2. Also not correct; it doesn't matter which skill you use. As long as you're using a "black weapon", i.e., all physical damage, the damage is applied to 100% of your character sheet DPS and thus to all your skills.

Regarding your last question: the "adds +x% to elemental damage" affix does not care about the damage type of your spell. The other affix on your Won Kim Lau (lightning spells deal x% more damage) however does. It gives every lightning spell a flat 23% damage increase, every non-lightning spell is unaffected.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes