Bots! Bots everywhere!

Botters in a Diablo game?

NO WAI!

This has never happened in any Diablo game ever right?

RIGHT?
    Well... I've been trying to help.

I've gotten the hunch that various people playing in public games are just bots based on the following information:

1. They follow the person who's furthest ahead on the run. Literally follow, as in they emulate your exact movements. I run in a circle, so does the "bot" that's trying to follow me.

2. Profile stats. For example, the latest one I've figured was a bot was a paragon 79 monk with 90K lifetime kills in 700 hours of play time. Also, along with the 90K lifetime kills are about 30K elite kills and 99M gold picked up.

3. Legendary bait drops. This is actually hilarious and I should record this one day. I drop a trash legendary several paces away from the "bot" and watch it come towards me to attempt to pick it up. Before it can arrive, I pick up the legendary and walk away. The bot will stop in its place. I will drop a different legendary further off and again watch the bot come after it. I repeat and laugh.

4. No communication. I had a two other people in the public game continuously threatening to report the account for botting. No response. I can type in Chinese, so I tried saying hello to it. No response. Someone tried Spanish. No response.

5. High EHP, incredibly low DPS, high paragon level, stacked with MF and pickup radius gear. This is peculiar to me. It's not really a dead-giveaway if someone's botting, but it sure helps in making a claim when combined with all of the qualities above.

Again, it's really difficult to prove if someone's botting. But I do report them to Blizzard on suspicions of botting, that way they can keep an eye on these accounts for a longer period of time.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Jaetch

3. Legendary bait drops. This is actually hilarious and I should record this one day. I drop a trash legendary several paces away from the "bot" and watch come towards me to attempt to pick it up. Before it can arrive, I pick up the legendary and walk away. The bot will stop in its place. I will drop a different legendary further off and again watch the bot come after it. I repeat and laugh.

:D I gotta try that
    Quote from Jaetch

3. Legendary bait drops. This is actually hilarious and I should record this one day. I drop a trash legendary several paces away from the "bot" and watch come towards me to attempt to pick it up. Before it can arrive, I pick up the legendary and walk away. The bot will stop in its place. I will drop a different legendary further off and again watch the bot come after it. I repeat and laugh.

I think you should try that technique by placing it in one of the fire hazards or any of the traps that are around and seeing the bot die to them on a regular fashion. This would be really effective in Hardcore.

Maybe we should suggest this to Blizzard to make a pit with that will kill you automatically if you enter it and the cheese for the trap is a legendary item.
    Quote from Huminator

Tinfoil hat much OP?
    "herp derp conspiracy lol you are so not taken seriously now lol HURRRR"
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
    Quote from Hans

Maybe we should suggest this to Blizzard to make a pit with that will kill you automatically if you enter it and the cheese for the trap is a legendary item.

Quality. A goblin with reflect damge would be funny aswell.
    Quote from Hans

The bot designers will adjust the script immediately to detect and avoid traps. My brain, however, won't. As soon as that brown beam appears somewhere on the screen, my brain turns off, ignores all enemies and dangers and quickly jumps to the drop to pick it up. (Maybe I played too much D2 multiplayer... difficult to get rid of 12 year long established habits)
    There are bots everywhere. I think it has more to do with which social circles you run in, I think botters are the minority when it comes to dfans or diablo forum community. I used to bot big time when I played d2, for example I had eight hashcodes for d2jsp, you can find I've been a member there since 2003. So my friends list has some botters on it, and they haven't been banned. So I can sympathize with the OP, and it's VERY annoying when I read blue responses that they take this seriously and ban frequently. The truth is the only botters that get banned "often" is AH botters, and by often for Blizzard is relative to "soon" for them, because there are banwaves roughly once a month, maybe longer.
    "Household botters", that is, your average everyday person that buys a bot, are NOT getting banned by blizzard. The only bots that are getting banned are the ones that farm GOLD only, because 1 person ends up maintaining 500+ and items would take too much "human interaction" to move. Blizzard is focusing on these "warehouse botters", they just cant be bothered with the small fries that are household botters. (which are the people that honestly you should be okay with, because they lower the prices on items by saturating the market with good ones) The warehouse botters are the bad ones, which constantly lower the price of gold and invalidate your time by making your overall investment worth less and less every day. The problem is, even after ignoring said household botters to focus on warehouse botters, blizzard is still EPICLY failing at catching them.

Edit- Also:

BOT BOTS EVERYWHERE, CANNED
    CLICHE PEOPLE ORGANS RARE!
    Quote from WNxManiacMan

People who plays D3 buy shit from 3rd-party websites as well. Maybe the implementation of the RMAH reduced usage of those sites, but it's still there.
    With the 250 cash limit you can either sell better/best stuff for an absurd amount of gold and pay double or tripple the fee to Blizzard (15% on the actual sale, 15% on the sale of the gold and another x% to paypal etc) or just get your money somewhere else with the risk of getting scammed and/or banned.
    @ Psychatog

I just, I have to point out that you saying we should accept bots because they lower prices by flooding the AH is downright a dangerous mindset when it comes to the well-being of our beloved video game. We should never just accept cheating.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Some good points being made imo. Like the guy who said it's harder to crack down in paid games vs. f2p, as well as the other guy who pointed out the smiliraties between hardcore grinders and bots in behaviour, making them difficult to tell apart.

I have a question though. You know how WoW makes use of a client (called Warden I believe) that scans RAM and processes? It's the same thing that spawned a bunch of privacy related argument (and I think some lawsuits). It scans what your PC is running and can identify and report any illegitemate program being used, making it much easier to identify botters, etc.

Is that thing in Diablo 3 too? Didn't see anyone mention it at all lately. Come to think of it, ever (on Diablo 3 topics).
    diablo games are botter games. nobody can stop this
    Warden is part of D3 and D2 since 1.11 and all of the recent Blizzard games have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_(software)
    Quote from Hans

Warden is part of D3 and D2 since 1.11 and all of the recent Blizzard games have it.

http://en.wikipedia....rden_(software)

warden is useless since it is not scanning the out of diablo 3 process memory

bots are never injecting anything into the diablo 3 process

they are just scanning just like avs
    Browser MMORPG Developer
    Quote from MonsterMMORPG

Quote from Hans

Thats because there are several legal issues with Warden scanning a users PC. If Blizzard could run a total PC mem scan without getting hit with a massive lawsuit, they would.
    Quote from AudioCG

Quote from MonsterMMORPG

Quote from Hans

Thats because there are several legal issues with Warden scanning a users PC. If Blizzard could run a total PC mem scan without getting hit with a massive lawsuit, they would.

Errrr... no. Actually, you agreed to let Blizzard scan your RAM.

http://us.blizzard.c...al/d3_eula.html

Consent to Monitor.

WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR ( B) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from AudioCG

Quote from MonsterMMORPG

Quote from Hans

Errrr... no. Actually, you agreed to let Blizzard scan your RAM.

http://us.blizzard.c...al/d3_eula.html

Consent to Monitor.

WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR ( B) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.

yes we agreed

but it is a fact that they had problems so not any more scanning

otherwise they would ban botters instantly since bot softwares are not using any kind of cloaking :)
    Browser MMORPG Developer
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes