Bots! Bots everywhere!

Hello

I would like to tell you something about bots.
    Before D3 i was playing the free to play game made by a not so big of a company. I don't want this topic to be deleted because of advertisement so lets call this company "N".
    Their game was pretty popular before D3 and like in any MMO the bots were pretty common there.

BUT

After every maintenance (once a week) most of the botters were banned. The ban was not only on the account but also on the login IP.
    The game had anti hack system so the botters/hackers who weren't careful enough were banned right away in few hours after login.

SO

My question here is - If such company as "N" can be a pain in the !@# to all the botters and can handle them pretty well in a f2p game, why don't you Blizz do the same?
    Cmon, you're one of the biggest companies in the gaming industry but you can't handle bots? Bots, that are so popular in your game, that you can just type the bot application name in google, and download it for free? Yeah you probably know what application i'm talking about. You just don't ban them. I have few RL friends who are botting hard with this for such a long time already that its ridiculious.

How we (legit players) should feel about that? The economy is broken, the botters are getting rich and after 800h of playing i don't feel fun anymore. The game became pointless.
    Sorry to say that but if i would have PC that can handle bot i would do this. Because cmon, why not?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my topic from the bnet forums - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199402805#1

I just don't think blizz is honest with us. Bots are making the money for them so they refuse to ban them. Simple as that.
    I don't believe they can't handle the bots. And if they really can't somebody should take the consequences for making the most unsuccesful anti bot/hack system i've seen for a long time.

I'm sorry for my english, i know its far from perfect :)
    1) The bigger the game, the higher the incentive is for botters. If there's only a small community in a game, botters can't earn that much and don't put so much effort into disguising their true nature. Furthermore, there are simply less botters; it's a bit like viruses - many people don't get that the amount of viruses on a system is not only related to the security, but to a large extent it also depends on distribution and market share.

2) In a free2play game, you can lock down accounts who are not botters more easily (as in, false accusations about being a bot). People will complain but they don't lose real money. If Blizzard closes an account, which does not only mean a loss of $60 for D3 but all the potential real money that the equipment is worth and the other games connected to that account, they could get sued. Well, not sure about this but at least expect shitstorm.

3) Excuse me, but I don't see botters "everywhere". In fact, except for the short period where we had gem problems, I feel D3 is pretty stable and the inflation is just related to the lack of a money sink and that everyone keeps farming and finding more and more items. If there were botters everywhere, wouldn't we see many more items popup and the economy would go havoc way faster, like in D2? I actually have heard about botters, but have never been in contact with one; how do you know (read: know, not guess or assume by logic) about the existence of botters and their presence "everywhere"?

I think you're oversimplifying the case. There were blue posts regarding bots and other scam, and there was a ban wave recently. They might not be 100% successful in fighting them, but they are definitely trying their best.
    No offence but your "bot everywhere" statement means nothing without evidence. Not to mention a claim of 800h of playing but only show a lvl1 profile with 0 kill.
    Quote from sarge26

No offence but your "bot everywhere" statement means nothing without any evidence. Not to mention a claim of 800h of playing but only show a lvl1 profile with 0 kill.

That's because i'm european and i posted on US
    forums. You can check me on EU.
    I'm 100% sure of so many bots because I KNOW people who run them. Many of them. And guess what? They run the demonbuddy for a looooooong time without bans. Considering the popularity of this bot (which is all over the internet for free, hackers cracked hackers lol) you can clearly tell the economy in this game is made by bots.
    I'm not saying that there are more bots than legit players (but its actually possible at the moment when many players quit playing) but i'm sure the bots influenced the gold market enough already.

Quote from Bagstone

I think you're oversimplifying the case. There were blue posts regarding bots and other scam, and there was a ban wave recently. They might not be 100% successful in fighting them, but they are definitely trying their best.

Maybe you are right about f2p thing but i don't agree that blizz is fighting the bots. As i said before, i know ppl who run the bots for such a long time that ban seems to be unrealistic. Of course i will not give the names because these ppl are my friends (some of them from RL) so unfortunately you have to trust me (which you won't).
    Anyway, i'm not here to prove anything, i'm just saying that Blizz is doing completely nothing to botters.

Only the AutoIt bots were banned after these "so called" banwaves as far as i know.

Only the AutoIt bots were banned after these "so called" banwaves as far as i know.

Definitely not.
    Quote from sarge26

No offence but your "bot everywhere" statement means nothing without evidence. Not to mention a claim of 800h of playing but only show a lvl1 profile with 0 kill.

Seriously, you couldn't even be bothered to replace 'us' with 'eu'?
    Quote from TehAdi

Quote from sarge26

No offence but your "bot everywhere" statement means nothing without any evidence. Not to mention a claim of 800h of playing but only show a lvl1 profile with 0 kill.

That's because i'm european and i posted on US
    forums. You can check me on EU.
    I'm 100% sure of so many bots because I KNOW people who run them. Many of them. And guess what? They run the demonbuddy for a looooooong time without bans. Considering the popularity of this bot (which is all over the internet for free, hackers cracked hackers lol) you can clearly tell the economy in this game is made by bots.
    I'm not saying that there are more bots than legit players (but its actually possible at the moment when many players quit playing) but i'm sure the bots influenced the gold market enough already.

Quote from Bagstone

Maybe you are right about f2p thing but i don't agree that blizz is fighting the bots. As i said before, i know ppl who run the bots for such a long time that ban seems to be unrealistic. Of course i will not give the names because these ppl are my friends (some of them from RL) so unfortunately you have to trust me (which you won't).
    Anyway, i'm not here to prove anything, i'm just saying that Blizz is doing completely nothing to botters.

OK my bad, I didn't dig a bit further. My point is it takes much more for blizzard to ban a player than you simply say "XXX" is botting. There is a legal consequence behind it by banning someone without solid proof. Blizzard could get sued by mass if they go over aggressive on this. It is easy to claim over Internet saying someone had stolen my stuffs but if the police had that guy arrested without any evidence the police will be in serious trouble.

Also, simply there are someone you know were botting doesn't not mean bot is EVERYWHERE, I can counter your argument by saying that none of my friends is botting so there is NO bot at all. In reality, the truth is most likely be somewhere in between.
    Hmm to make it clear.
    My point is - if i see about 8 people runing so many bots (some of them have 4 bots using one PC) for a long time and i see no ban for any of their bot account i'm starting to think that something is wrong.
    Just saying.
    Quote from sarge26

Also, simply there are someone you know were botting doesn't not mean bot is EVERYWHERE, I can counter your argument by saying that none of my friends is botting so there is NO bot at all. In reality, the truth is most likely be somewhere in between.

Well, its very hard to guess the numbers, but also not having knowledge of them doesnt mean they arent out there. Most of my active friend list (mainly old guildmates from wow) are using demonbuddy almost 24/7 with public profiles and they seem to be getting some decent profit out of it. They even know they have been reported several times, but I still see them online at any time.
    And if you take a look at the demonbuddy, ownedcore or similar comunity forums you will see there is A LOT of movement there, not to mention the silent majority of them, as its easy to think that most botters will keep their accs with no friends and tell no one about their activity.
    Sure there arent near as many bots as legit players, but I still think there seem to be way too many.
    Hm, looking at the Demonbuddy forums, it seems like there are indeed at least some people botting. Well, I don't know anyone who's using a bot, so like sarge26 said the number is somewhere between 0% and 100%, but neither "everywhere" nor "no bots at all".

But it also becomes apparent why these people are hard to catch: tune in on some Twitch streams of people grinding Alkaizer route 24/7... there's not much difference between some of the crazy people on their way to paragon 100 and a bot. Telling these apart is really difficult for Blizzard and they have to be careful about not making false accusations.
    Quote from TehAdi

Hmm to make it clear.
    My point is - if i see about 8 people runing so many bots (some of them have 4 bots using one PC) for a long time and i see no ban for any of their bot account i'm starting to think that something is wrong.
    Just saying.

That's definitely messed up.

Quote from TehAdi

something is wrong.

QFT
    Well, maybe this is going to sound a bit cynical, but, why would they?, after all, it's more money for them isn't?.
    Tinfoil hat much OP?
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
    Quote from Bagstone

Hm, looking at the Demonbuddy forums, it seems like there are indeed at least some people botting. Well, I don't know anyone who's using a bot, so like sarge26 said the number is somewhere between 0% and 100%, but neither "everywhere" nor "no bots at all".

But it also becomes apparent why these people are hard to catch: tune in on some Twitch streams of people grinding Alkaizer route 24/7... there's not much difference between some of the crazy people on their way to paragon 100 and a bot. Telling these apart is really difficult for Blizzard and they have to be careful about not making false accusations.

This sounds very accurate. In a game of grinding and optimized routes... how are you to distinguish botters from normal grinders? They do the exact same thing. No idea. Maybe time played? Even that is not guaranteed.
    Quote from Indimix

Well, maybe this is going to sound a bit cynical, but, why would they?, after all, it's more money for them isn't?.

No it's not. A few of my friends stopped playing because of bots and I'm sure they're not the only ones. If people stop playing, thus stops using the RMAH and buying expansions, it's probably not worth it for Blizzard. I've never used RMAH because of cheaters, but I'll probably buy expansions because I still find the game awesome. If Blizzard stops boting at some point I'll consider using RMAH.
    I saw this a few weeks back about botters ().
    This guy is using 100 accounts on EU and US server. I know this is rather old video but still verry informative...

edit: this is no video on how to use bots or anything like that. This is a farmer talking about the economy...
    Stop using the RMAH. There ya go. You solved your own personal bot problem.

If enough people stopped using the RMAH, then the botters would see it's not profitable to play this game anymore and move onto the next big game out there.

And if you're complaining that all the good equipment is on the RMAH so you have to use it... well if the botters were not there then the gear would not be there as well.. so you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you want good gear (and you're ok with bots), or you dont want good gear (and you're not ok with bots).
    Quote from Bodycount1

If enough people stopped using the RMAH, then the botters would see it's not profitable to play this game anymore and move onto the next big game out there.

And if you're complaining that all the good equipment is on the RMAH so you have to use it... well if the botters were not there then the gear would not be there as well.. so you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you want good gear (and you're ok with bots), or you dont want good gear (and you're not ok with bots).

Wow, I have to be careful how to phrase it. This is so wrong, it couldn't be farther away from reality.

1) WoW is an example for a game without a RMAH and there's an overwhelming amount of bots.

2) All the good equipment is on the GAH; the RMAH has a 250€ cap which means about 1 billion gold as cap, while all the godly items sell for 1.5-2 billion.
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from Bodycount1

Wow, I have to be careful how to phrase it. This is so wrong, it couldn't be farther away from reality.

1) WoW is an example for a game without a RMAH and there's an overwhelming amount of bots.

2) All the good equipment is on the GAH; the RMAH has a 250€ cap which means about 1 billion gold as cap, while all the godly items sell for 1.5-2 billion.

1) By "RMAH" he probably means "buying stuff with real money", be it in the RMAH or some 3rd party site; bots are in WoW because people buy shit from 3rd-party websites;

2) People buy gold in the RMAH then go spend it on the GAH, so what you said doesn't really make any difference.
    People who plays D3 buy shit from 3rd-party websites as well. Maybe the implementation of the RMAH reduced usage of those sites, but it's still there.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes