DEBATE: Spending money on virtual items, and more

Thanks for the support Bagstone!

Quote from Tesla

I've canceled my wow subscription and pumped some of that money into D3, after trying to find/finance upgrades for several month without RL cash. It did not work out, so I was really glad when I finally had the funds to make a big upgrade. It really improved my game experience and was worth it.

On the other hand I had to play ubers/keyruns with a friend of a friend who invested tons of cash into his newly leveled char. His paperdoll stats were amazing but he was close to useless when doing ubers. He had five times the EHP and ten times the life steal/life on hit than me. Nevertheless he kept dying. And I really despise that type of players.

Hmm, I'm a bit concerned about the "buy in order to have a better experience" tidbit... which goes to show what's wrong with the itemization/drop quality rate in this game. I started using cash to kickstart my wizard project; but then again, you spending money to give yourself a boost is no different than me boosting my leaderboard efforts.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Syronicus

Quote from ruksak

True pride in your character can only be achieved by doing it 'the old fashioned way'. By purchasing gold/items, you have chosen a shortcut, you have chosen to bypass effort and cut straight to the quick with your wallet.

Working in real life to make real money is not doing things the hard way?

lol.....with all due respect, you're going to break your arm reaching like that. NO...just ....no. What you do in life is entirely external to the gaming realm.

how you spend the money you make is of no concern to others.

It's not that it's my "concern". I'm just sayin......if you buy items you inarguabley have chosen a shortcut. Nevermind where or how you garnered the money. Nevermind how much time you have. When you enter the RMAH to buy items/gold, you are making a choice to circumvent effort by monetary means.

You are buying something that other people play the game to earn. We all work....OK...maybe not all of us :Thumbs Up: ....but I know I do. I have a daughter, friends, many interests like fishing, hunting and 4-wheeling (did I mention bitches?) and I hold myself to no excuses as to why I would even think of cheating myself of the experience to earn my gears.

Saying that you are cheating yourself of the gaming experience (or gear) is one of the biggest dumbass things I have heard yet. Coming from you that is not too much of a stretch though since most of what you say here is based off of a very simplistic way of thinking... or should I say a "high off your ass" way of thinking. :D

Using real money in a game that has that option as a viable way of furthering your experience in the game is far from cheating yourself of a gaming experience since that money had to come from somewhere and might represent a small sacrifice elsewhere. If you choose to call it cheating yourself out of anything then you are simply giving up on the argument and taking a more narrow minded view.

Most narrow minded folks think that the end game is farming for that next item or gear that will gain you a few hundred DPS or life and it ends there... Others who have a more open mind tend to see the end game in a few other ways. One being the end game of slaughtering monsters on higher levels with no issues without having 3 to 4 hours a day to get there. Earning in-game gold by helping others achieve their Hellfire rings by having a character that can run MP10 with no issues. Leveling up faster on all characters without having to spend the next 10 years doing so by buying a few items on the AH with XP increase... The game is as you want it to be and tossing out stupid derogatory remarks about cheating yourself is just a showing of how simplistic your outlook is.
    "There is no cow level!"
    Quote from cying247

This entire thread is the epitome of douche! You wrote a whole tl;dr post about how one guy antagonized you over something, which is all good and fine, but then you go ahead and say you PITY him?! Isn't that a little hypocritical at the very least? If you want to act all high and mighty about something, at least be the bigger man and take the high road. Saying you understand his opinion and pity him for it is extremely presumptuous. This trail kid could've easily posted his own thing about how he understands the opinion of this Jaetch kid he argued with on bnet and pities Jaetch for having elementary incorrect opinions which are easily understood. Your tunnel vision is evidently blinding you since you can't see this!

Anyway I'm with whoever said the game genie bit. But I have no problem with people who spend on the rmah! Without them I wouldn't be able to sell my digital stuff for irl cash money!

Flame on

QFT.

I was reading the posts and was going to add something until I read this and shit... this dude just took the words out of my mouth.
    Quote from Syronicus

Saying that you are cheating yourself of the gaming experience (or gear) is one of the biggest dumbass things I have heard yet. Coming from you that is not too much of a stretch though since most of what you say here is based off of a very simplistic way of thinking... or should I say a "high off your ass" way of thinking.

Whoa ...settle down there cowboy. Let's not turn this thread ugly.

I'm trying to be careful to not put anybody down while giving my personal opinion.

Let me make myself clear, to address my comment about "cheating myself". If I had 200 million dollars in the bank, I would not buy items or gold, ever. I'm not saying people whom feel differently are wrong, I'm just saying that's how I feel about these sorts of games and how I wish to approach them.

Much of this is reflected in my actual play style, as I do not play MP1 speed runs. Instead, I keep it challenging by farming always on MP7. I want the challenge to always be present, and this ideal translates to how I acquire gear as well.

Call it "simplistic thinking" or whatever you wish. I have never been the short-cheese player.

The game is as you want it to be and tossing out stupid derogatory remarks about cheating yourself is just a showing of how simplistic your outlook is.

I said "cheating myself", as in ME.......I did not call you or the OP a "cheater". There was nothing derogatory about my comments. The only derogatory comments being fired off are from your side, brother.

I'm not sure why you cannot conceptualize what I'm talking about? The pride of building a top-tier character without spending real money, without botting, just from long-term play and smart decisions, is a tangible thing.

It will take me much longer to accomplish than a RMAH'er. I will have to pour in hours over a much longer period of real-time. But I WILL build a first-class Monk the old fuckin fashioned way. If you cannot understand how that leads one to a much more fulfilling sense of accomplishment, I have no idea what to say.

I'm enjoying the excuses as to why people "have to" use the RMAH.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Bagstone

IMHO, there's not much difference between using the AH and the RMAH, but it's just my personal view.

I must STRONGLY disagree with that.

There is no difference between the GAH and trade games via D2. It's just a different vehicle for the same transaction method. You have to play, hustle, save your scratch and spend smart to gear up intelligently. It is just a more accommodating, efficient method of trading your earned wealth for other players commodities/items.

The difference between the GAH and the RMAH are striking when considering to what end they can be taken.

Via the GAH; You must play to earn wealth/commodities/items in order to enter the GAH and leave having progressed.

Via the RMAH; You could literally have never played, install the game, enter the RMAH and walk out with the best gear in the game (of course you have to level before using it).

Honestly, I think the most vocal haters of the RMAH are people whom have no means to participate in the RMAH, but they want to.

you dont need to play to make gold, i am not saying that you dont need any gold to start but just in the same way..you cant use the gear before 60 as you stated for rmah, you could just stop at 60 and play the ah and make million of gold without playing at all, sure wouldnt be that fun either of course but then again it wouldnt be a rmah discussion either.

It is just a more accommodating, efficient method of trading your earned wealth for other players commodities/items.(pretty sure it can be applied to rmah too), didnt you earned that money?. I know you meant earned wealth in-game...what if you spend into rmah and then you remake your money using this gear? afterall all of this is just trading (time-money-gold) for (time-money-gold).

yes it can be unfair for others who cant afford it, but you play for yourself and the only person you want to compete in this game is yourself, how you choose to play is a personnal choice i think
    Quote from Cryomatic

you dont need to play to make gold, i am not saying that you dont need any gold to start but just in the same way..you cant use the gear before 60 as you stated for rmah, you could just stop at 60 and play the ah and make million of gold without playing at all, sure wouldnt be that fun either of course but then again it wouldnt be a rmah discussion either.

It is just a more accommodating, efficient method of trading your earned wealth for other players commodities/items.(pretty sure it can be applied to rmah too), didnt you earned that money?. I know you meant earned wealth in-game...what if you spend into rmah and then you remake your money using this gear? afterall all of this is just trading (time-money-gold) for (time-money-gold).

yes it can be unfair for others who cant afford it, but you play for yourself and the only person you want to compete in this game is yourself, how you choose to play is a personnal choice i think

That's an interesting take, I'll give ya that.

I suppose you could flip until you had hundreds of millions to properly gear an endgame quality character. Again, personal taste trumps all. Myself, I would rather masturbate with shards of glass than to do that (and only that), but I'm sure there are folks out there that would get into the whole AH broker game.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from luizdeh

Quote from cying247

This entire thread is the epitome of douche! You wrote a whole tl;dr post about how one guy antagonized you over something, which is all good and fine, but then you go ahead and say you PITY him?! Isn't that a little hypocritical at the very least? If you want to act all high and mighty about something, at least be the bigger man and take the high road. Saying you understand his opinion and pity him for it is extremely presumptuous. This trail kid could've easily posted his own thing about how he understands the opinion of this Jaetch kid he argued with on bnet and pities Jaetch for having elementary incorrect opinions which are easily understood. Your tunnel vision is evidently blinding you since you can't see this!

Anyway I'm with whoever said the game genie bit. But I have no problem with people who spend on the rmah! Without them I wouldn't be able to sell my digital stuff for irl cash money!

Flame on

QFT.

I was reading the posts and was going to add something until I read this and shit... this dude just took the words out of my mouth.

Excuse me, but apparently you did not read and/or understand the whole thing. The reason why I pitied the guy was because he could not understand the whole point of the argument, which is the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on how to manage their personal finances. It's opinion about people's own lives. I understood where he was coming from in terms of being against spending money on virtual items and skipping progression, much like ruksak here is. And I understand that. However, I do not understand why someone will berate others solely because they don't agree with other people's interests.

No one else was there with me during the actual discussion, so there's no way you'd know all the details. However, the majority of the time was spent trying to convince Trail that it's essentially "to each his own," "whatever floats your boat," "whatever tickles your pickle." And he could not accept that. It's purely philosophical. I'm fine with him being irritated that I'm blowing money on game items, I'm also fine with him not accepting other people's way of doing things (as I've stated, I wasn't offended the entire time until he put my friends and family into the argument). I say I pity him because he's closed-minded and will not acknowledge that people have opinions that differ from his.
    when it comes to spending real money, a small investment can increase fun. but to much of anything is bad.
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from ruksak

Much of the bitterness that 'straight edge' players like myself have toward people whom buy gear/gold comes from the bad apples that buy all their gear and then make fun of others (whom don't buy gears) for having less than elite gears.

Jaetch seems like the type of player that would never do this.

I couldn't agree more.

If you think people who spend real money on a game are jerks, just look at Jaetch, he's the perfect example of the opposite.

I would argue he's the exception, though, rather than the rule.

Quote from Syronicus

Some folks don’t have time to grind in-game all day because they are grinding all day at a real job and the money they make at their real job lets them get to the point they want to reach in-game by buying some upgrades that they would have otherwise never had the time to find.

Then why play a grinding game??? That's what I don't get! With the myriad of titles available, why pick a franchise that is KNOWN for requiring grind, if you are unable to grind??
    This is why I refuse to accept the argument "well, some people don't have time to grind".
    I don't have a lot of time to grind; hell, just look at my characters! Their gear is poor. I could buy gear, but what the hell's the point?

It'd be like paying real money to become better at football (soccer for the yanks). Yeah, sure, I don't have the time to train and play all day (and believe me, I'd love to); if I did, I'd be much better. But would I pay money to instantly become much better, even if I had the option? Hell no, I'd rather have my three weekly footy matches and evolve from there.

To finalise, I'd also like to say that I don't understand why people feel that they must play in the highest MPs or the game's not fun; and the only way they have to get themselves to that level of gear is to hop into the RMAH.
    Higher MPs are just like lower MPs; they just have bigger numbers.
    I just leave the Text posted by WishboneTheDog (from Reddit) here...
    You cant really explain it any better for the narrow minded people who think spending cash is stupid :

But yes, I will elaborate. People think that paying "real money" in a video game is a huge leap from paying in gold or from grinding for an item. What people don't realize is that currencies are only a numerical representation of value. As soon as there is a collective demand for goods, both virtual and "real," value is created. Humans developed currencies to represent this value in a tangible way, and to make the exchange of these goods more liquid.

When there is collective demand from real people for an item within a game market, the same value is created as anything else in the world, and you can put a number on it. That number can be different depending on the currency you are using to represent the value. You need a lot more Yen than Euros to represent the same value. The same goes for gold.

Gold is like a foreign currency. It represents value, but only within the specific game world. You can't use gold to buy things in stores in the US, just like you can't use Yen to buy things in those stores. If, however, you can convert that currency to a usable one, it has an "exchange rate." Gold has an exchange rate exactly like a foreign currency has. (Except gold is more easily exchanged than 90% of the currencies in the world) This is why botting should not only be against the rules, it should be illegal. (Korea kinda gets it)

So items are just exchanged at the value that demand sets. Regardless of whether it is in gold or real money. Or even in bartering. People demand, the market supplies.

It will get long, but bear with me.

The concept of "pay to win."

You always pay to win. I just explained how gold and USD are very much the same within a game economy, but there is something even less tangible that is also the same: time. Time is the most valuable currency there is. There is an exchange rate for time to money, but there is no exchange rate back.

Gamers who play within economies create the value of the currency (gold) when they take time to accumulate that currency, and the rarity of an item contributes to the item's value equal to the amount of time a person would have to play to statistically obtain it. This is very similar to any currency and wage labor. (I would love to hear Marx's thoughts on Diablo gold) This is time being converted into a currency. (THIS IS REALLY WHY BOTTING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL Through dilution, bots destroy real value that gamers create by playing.)

You always pay to win because you either pay in time or in a currency. Some people are rich in time, and some people are rich in currency. And anyone who spends more time will also have the skills to back it up. Plus, why not let people with a lot of money give your game time real-world value?

The only problem with Diablo in this regard IMO is that gear is possibly too much of a factor in terms of your heroes ability. Not that it shouldn't be significant, but it should be balanced with skill. This is a difficult balance for a dev team.

With this balance, paying money for the gear is the equivalent of purchasing nice golf clubs, or high tech running/climbing/basketball shoes. It's purchasing gear that gives you an edge on the competition in the game that you play. A thousand dollars for a good set of golf clubs gives you the ability to play the game of golf better than someone of equal skill playing with a $10 garage sale set. It doesn't automatically make you good, but it helps you get there. And if you love that game, then by all means play your best.

Smart Guy ;)
    agree'd, unable to Qoute
    To my oppinion there is a Cap to reasonable spending on tthe rmah.

i have no problem with someone having invested a lot of hours in the game and then spending some money to build his character to the max - which is actually what OP did. ( i might even do it too)

BUT i can not understand how someone ( and i met this one) spends 300€ on gold , buys fine stuff in the AH , ends up with better gear than i have - and then calls me for help because he struggles with Ubers on MP6.

spending money on something you like is fine, but only as long as you can take full profit of your spend money.
    why buy a super fast car nowadays? especially in the usa you can't drive as fast as you want - so why pay for this "feature" ?
    same goes for diablo . if you cant utilize the items you bought to the full extend either because you dont know how, or because you dont care enough about the game to improve your knowledge about it - spending money on the RMAH is fucking bogous.

asume you are a cook ( in germany tthose guys have 14 hour work days...) you have about 1 hour a day to play diablo .why even bother with buying stuff - you'll nevar have the time to appreciate your bought items. : solution : dont buy stuff on rmah

asume you are a very good player with enough time at hand to improve your character without using the rmah. Then improve your character unttill you feel like nott making enough progress anymore for the ttime invested -> tthen use the rmah.

if you feel like you dont progress fast enough on lv 10 and feel the need for buying items you are either a dumb fuck or have tottally unreasonable expectations tto tthe game you're playing

sorry for ttypos but some keys of my keyboard trigger multiple times -- sometimes^^

oh AND THIS:

But yes, I will elaborate. People think that paying "real money" in a video game is a huge leap from paying in gold or from grinding for an item. What people don't realize is that currencies are only a numerical representation of value. As soon as there is a collective demand for goods, both virtual and "real," value is created. Humans developed currencies to represent this value in a tangible way, and to make the exchange of these goods more liquid.

When there is collective demand from real people for an item within a game market, the same value is created as anything else in the world, and you can put a number on it. That number can be different depending on the currency you are using to represent the value. You need a lot more Yen than Euros to represent the same value. The same goes for gold.

Gold is like a foreign currency. It represents value, but only within the specific game world. You can't use gold to buy things in stores in the US, just like you can't use Yen to buy things in those stores. If, however, you can convert that currency to a usable one, it has an "exchange rate." Gold has an exchange rate exactly like a foreign currency has. (Except gold is more easily exchanged than 90% of the currencies in the world) This is why botting should not only be against the rules, it should be illegal. (Korea kinda gets it)

So items are just exchanged at the value that demand sets. Regardless of whether it is in gold or real money. Or even in bartering. People demand, the market supplies.

It will get long, but bear with me.

The concept of "pay to win."

You always pay to win. I just explained how gold and USD are very much the same within a game economy, but there is something even less tangible that is also the same: time. Time is the most valuable currency there is. There is an exchange rate for time to money, but there is no exchange rate back.

Gamers who play within economies create the value of the currency (gold) when they take time to accumulate that currency, and the rarity of an item contributes to the item's value equal to the amount of time a person would have to play to statistically obtain it. This is very similar to any currency and wage labor. (I would love to hear Marx's thoughts on Diablo gold) This is time being converted into a currency. (THIS IS REALLY WHY BOTTING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL Through dilution, bots destroy real value that gamers create by playing.)

You always pay to win because you either pay in time or in a currency. Some people are rich in time, and some people are rich in currency. And anyone who spends more time will also have the skills to back it up. Plus, why not let people with a lot of money give your game time real-world value?

The only problem with Diablo in this regard IMO is that gear is possibly too much of a factor in terms of your heroes ability. Not that it shouldn't be significant, but it should be balanced with skill. This is a difficult balance for a dev team.

With this balance, paying money for the gear is the equivalent of purchasing nice golf clubs, or high tech running/climbing/basketball shoes. It's purchasing gear that gives you an edge on the competition in the game that you play. A thousand dollars for a good set of golf clubs gives you the ability to play the game of golf better than someone of equal skill playing with a $10 garage sale set. It doesn't automatically make you good, but it helps you get there. And if you love that game, then by all means play your best.

since tthis guy explains that time cannott be convertted to time and time= money you should totally understand my oppinion
    The RMAH makes things weird sometimes. The first time I noticed was when a drop sold for 45m or so, and back then I checked that I could probably get some $50-$60 for the gold. At this point I was wondering whether I could justify to spend this much money on virtual gear, instead of just putting it into my bank account. I ended up deciding that this is ingame gold and not $, and spent it on gears. Same happened when I hit 200m the first time, but again I went for gear.

The first time I actually thought about buying gold for $ was when some item I wanted was on sale on the AH and I was about 10m short. I ended up getting and selling a lucky drop before the auction ran out, and could buy the item without buying gold. So far I have not spent any real world money for ingame items/gold, and I don't think I ever will, but I don't mind other people doing it.

High prices are the main reason I wouldn't do it. While there are a few items that I could upgrade for 20m-50m probably, items that last me a long time will cost 100m-500m, maybe 1bil for a weapon. Even if the gold price drops further, that is just too much for me if I had to put in my money. If blizzard was selling BiS gear for $10-$20 a piece, maybe I would buy.

I've had a WoW subscription for more than two years. Was in europe, so it was a bit more expensive. I guess that overall I spend about $500 on WoW, maybe more. So in that sense, D3 is cheap. If you consider what other entertainments cost, gaming is really cheap. Movies run anywhere from $10-$20 for 2 hours of fun, going out for food and drinks easily ends up north of $100 for one evening. If I bought 2m (~$1) gold for each hour played, it would still be cheap and I would have a nice budget to invest right now.

One can also buy gold and farm less = more time for friends/family.
    My monk Vin
    Long thread, didn't read all the replies.

I don't see any difference between spending money on the RMAH and spending money on any other hobby. Who cares if the items you receive are digital? Doesn't matter, if it makes you happy, I'm all for it. It doesn't affect me in the slightest, so go for it! If there were no people buying items, I couldn't sell them. :P
    Quote from maka

Quote from Bagstone

Quote from ruksak

Much of the bitterness that 'straight edge' players like myself have toward people whom buy gear/gold comes from the bad apples that buy all their gear and then make fun of others (whom don't buy gears) for having less than elite gears.

Jaetch seems like the type of player that would never do this.

I couldn't agree more.

If you think people who spend real money on a game are jerks, just look at Jaetch, he's the perfect example of the opposite.

I would argue he's the exception, though, rather than the rule.

Quote from Syronicus

Some folks don’t have time to grind in-game all day because they are grinding all day at a real job and the money they make at their real job lets them get to the point they want to reach in-game by buying some upgrades that they would have otherwise never had the time to find.

Then why play a grinding game??? That's what I don't get! With the myriad of titles available, why pick a franchise that is KNOWN for requiring grind, if you are unable to grind??
    This is why I refuse to accept the argument "well, some people don't have time to grind".
    I don't have a lot of time to grind; hell, just look at my characters! Their gear is poor. I could buy gear, but what the hell's the point?

It'd be like paying real money to become better at football (soccer for the yanks). Yeah, sure, I don't have the time to train and play all day (and believe me, I'd love to); if I did, I'd be much better. But would I pay money to instantly become much better, even if I had the option? Hell no, I'd rather have my three weekly footy matches and evolve from there.

To finalise, I'd also like to say that I don't understand why people feel that they must play in the highest MPs or the game's not fun; and the only way they have to get themselves to that level of gear is to hop into the RMAH.
    Higher MPs are just like lower MPs; they just have bigger numbers.

Please, there are casual grinders as well as hardcore grinders. Here in this thread you see both. There are some people who find more joy in grinding higher MP levels and getting the bonus magic find and the items that come with being able to run through a higher MP level with great speed and efficiency. In order to do that you need to either grind for months to get the gear needed or you pay up front and get there quicker. I argue that those willing to spend some money now will have more time to grind for the better magic gear and sell it on the AH and in a short time recoup the money they originally invested in their character. If you paid a couple hundred bucks to have a character that could breeze through Act III on MP 3 or 4 and find millions of gold worth of gear, you could sell the gold and make back the money you put into the game and be ahead of the guy that decided to grind for months to get to where you are currently.

Grinding is a relative term for everyone. Some consider grinding a couple hours in a day running the same route and some find it to be a 8 hours in a day running an entire act or two. In the end, a grind can be more fun for guys who want to have the instant magic find for a little real money and it can be equally as fun for guys who want their own personal gratification for finding all their gear over the course of a few months.
    "There is no cow level!"
    @OP:

I burn so much money on so many useless things, in particular games, my steam libary is full of games i've yet to even play on, but i bought them for a rainy day. Like you i work my ass off (I love my job though) and don't have a lot of self time, so in theory i don't have enough time to ever play all of the games i have, never mind me buying hitman, dishonored, xcom, a wii u and various other games and gadgets.

Is it a waste of money? Most definaltey! Does it make me happy? Damn right it does! Slamming on a new AAA title that i have never played before whenever the hell i want is ace, i got AC3 to play... but i just got done with AC2 and have revelations and brotherhood to play, did it stop me from buying AC3 the moment it came out.. even though i won't even have the other two games done by christmas and it'll probably be on price drop? NOPE.

Who cares as long as you're happy, money is a means to an end!
    Quote from Voix
    Is it a waste of money? Most definaltey! Does it make me happy? Damn right it does! Slamming on a new AAA title that i have never played before whenever the hell i want is ace, i got AC3 to play... but i just got done with AC2 and have revelations and brotherhood to play, did it stop me from buying AC3 the moment it came out.. even though i won't even have the other two games done by christmas and it'll probably be on price drop? NOPE.

You sound almost exactly like one of my friends regarding Assassin's Creed. He also has Resident Evil 6 collecting dust under his desk and wants to borrow my Final Fantasy XIII-2 while just starting AC3. I told him to come party with me on D3, but he still believes barbs are useless tanks (he quit during the whole Inferno Act 2 impossibility era back in June).

And yes, it's a game, and you play to kill time and be happy. So cheers :cheers:
    Quote from Syronicus

If you paid a couple hundred bucks to have a character that could breeze through Act III on MP 3 or 4 and find millions of gold worth of gear, you could sell the gold and make back the money you put into the game and be ahead of the guy that decided to grind for months to get to where you are currently.

That's the sad part: that this is actually a motivator.
    Quote from Jaetch

Quote from luizdeh

Quote from cying247

Flame on

QFT.

Excuse me, but apparently you did not read and/or understand the whole thing. The reason why I pitied the guy was because he could not understand the whole point of the argument, which is the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on how to manage their personal finances. It's opinion about people's own lives. I understood where he was coming from in terms of being against spending money on virtual items and skipping progression, much like ruksak here is. And I understand that. However, I do not understand why someone will berate others solely because they don't agree with other people's interests.

No one else was there with me during the actual discussion, so there's no way you'd know all the details. However, the majority of the time was spent trying to convince Trail that it's essentially "to each his own," "whatever floats your boat," "whatever tickles your pickle." And he could not accept that. It's purely philosophical. I'm fine with him being irritated that I'm blowing money on game items, I'm also fine with him not accepting other people's way of doing things (as I've stated, I wasn't offended the entire time until he put my friends and family into the argument). I say I pity him because he's closed-minded and will not acknowledge that people have opinions that differ from his.

That's what I'm saying! I really doubt you understood his argument the way you think you do. And to assume that you understand him to completion and that he doesn't understand you is the hypocritical, tunnel-visioned part. Now you're saying I don't understand your argument, so you must pity me too. And someone else can come say I am being a hypocrite for criticizing you because I don't understand your argument fully. And so on and so forth. Mind blown.

Conclusion: No one truly understands anyone else. So there's no point in bitching and moaning and getting upset about other people's opinions. Trail bitched at you on bnet. You bitched about him on dfans. I bitched about you on dfans.

Boom.
    Quote from maka

Quote from Syronicus

If you paid a couple hundred bucks to have a character that could breeze through Act III on MP 3 or 4 and find millions of gold worth of gear, you could sell the gold and make back the money you put into the game and be ahead of the guy that decided to grind for months to get to where you are currently.

That's the sad part: that this is actually a motivator.

And it works :)
    Currently played toon:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rage-2973/hero/28310

Profit:
    Flipping/Sniping: 6577€
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes