The strange case of this new crafted Hellfire ring (or not, please elucidate me)

Long story short, had already a Hellfire ring, but wanted to improve on that one since it only had STR and VIT. Crafted and obtained a new one like the one shown below (the not equipped one):

i(DOT)imgur(DOT)com/DXLwG(DOT)jpg [please swap the (DOT) for . accordingly, can't post full links yet]

What I find strange or wrong in here:

1) Is it me or it only has 3 affixes? (9-18 dmg, 5% Life and +HP per pot or health globe)

2) Why the new one provides me with more damage? Both share the same +9-18 dmg affix and the one with more STR is the one already equipped. I don't see any other affix that could increase my damage. Could it be the Fire Ball from the ring?

It is 6 AM in here, forgive me if it is me being sleepy but I've looked at it several times already.
    1) Most likely you have a +min/max and a +min or +max damage roll on that ring

2) based on (1), there might be a display bug with items that roll multiple +damage affixes... the new ring probably has more than just the +9/+18 shown. I thought those bugs were fixed, but apparently not

PS: I'm not sure whether the bug is with the +9/+18 display or with the dps calculation ingame...
    My monk Vin
    Quote from thundersteele

1) Most likely you have a +min/max and a +min or +max damage roll on that ring

2) based on (1), there might be a display bug with items that roll multiple +damage affixes... the new ring probably has more than just the +9/+18 shown. I thought those bugs were fixed, but apparently not

PS: I'm not sure whether the bug is with the +9/+18 display or with the dps calculation ingame...

I think the bug is a tooltip display bug, assuming it's the same thing I've seen in he past. Basically the total bonus damage shown is different from the actual damage of the ring. The game should use the actual bonus damage when calculating your dps (in theory) while the displayed info is just wrong. The way I found to check is to put the item in a dps calculator and just adjust the actual damage range until the in game dps matches the calculator dps.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    There is a known tooltip bug, it was mentioned in one of the dev. blogs or blue posts, cant remember which.
    I have used this "feature" to find some bargains on the AH.

if an item has:
    + xx-yy damage
    AND +xx min or max damage

then only the +xx-yy damage is displayed in the tooltip.
    The only way to find the values of these "missing" rolls is by the AH "average damage" search.
    The AH "average damage" function will display the true bonus damage.
    Pity Hellfire rings cant be listed so you can see this.

For example, I used this to find a bargain +dmg/cc Natalya's Reflection.
    Tooltip said only "+9-18 damage".
    The AH "average damage" for this should be 13-14, but this one showed 42. (there were a bunch of 9-18s showing "14")
    Therefore it had a hidden +28minimum damage, so I snapped it up for a fraction if its real value.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes