Diablo 3: Lord Of Hatred

Inspired by the poll on the official site Poll: Who's the Greatest “Great Evil”?, and some interesting ideas in comments. I would love a new expansion centered around Mephisto, similarly like Diablo 2: Lord Of Destruction.

Well, maybe not in games but Mephisto is depicted as the most intensively evil, the closest to being leader of Demons, the most intelligent and scheming (proved wrong in D3, Diablo being the mastermind, but it's bad storytelling) I would love Evils set free from the Black Soulstone and some kind of Mephisto's revenge on Diablo, punishment, maybe reconciliation.

Shame how Blizz took the story in D3, a unison of three demonic brothers completing each other in true evil and waging a crusade on Good is much more interesting than 'they all vie for power' thing. Mephisto, the leader and mastermind, Diablo, the most powerfull and feared, Baal, an intelligent brute, revelling in destruction. Anyway Blizzard needs to save the ship and to me Mephisto would be a good way. So... what do you think?

PS.
    Just not 'it was all planned from the beginning' story, where Mephisto made a plan to be screwed in a soulstone all the time to finally be set free and bla bla bla.
    Or they can make the game truly epic by calling it something like Diablo III: Evil Returns and include all seven evils wreaking havoc and wrecking everything that can be deemed good in the world. This way they can throw storyline/gameplay elements from Diablo I and II and put everything together into one epic conclusive story. Oh, should also mention that all of the evils should keep their mouths shut unless it is absolutely necessary to utter any word of intimidation.

They can milk the franchise for all it's worth after that, but if they really, truly believe that a good story + strong gameplay elements decide how good a game is, then they really need to come up with a damn good epic plot befitting the title for the expansion. I don't care if the game takes up 120GB on my hard drive. Just make it absolutely, mind-numbingly EPIC.

With seven evils, I for one would love having to go through 7 to 10 acts to complete the storyline, with each act having multiple side quests to further expand the story (especially character backgrounds. Why can't there be class-specific side quests?!).
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    7 to 10 acts? 7 evils? It's an expansion, not a new game. Expect one big badass final boss, maybe something new; and most likely one act. I can't see how they would add any more content. It's Blizzard, it takes them ages to polish that stuff because they are perfectionists. For 2-3 new acts the expansion wouldn't be released before 2017.
    Might be a little "off-topic" but didn't I read somewhere that more than 1 expansion was planned for D3 ? I might be wrong tought...
    Quote from Bagstone

7 to 10 acts? 7 evils? It's an expansion, not a new game. Expect one big badass final boss, maybe something new; and most likely one act. I can't see how they would add any more content. It's Blizzard, it takes them ages to polish that stuff because they are perfectionists. For 2-3 new acts the expansion wouldn't be released before 2017.

Just dreaming here. I know as well as anyone that it's 120% impossible.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Bourrelle

Might be a little "off-topic" but didn't I read somewhere that more than 1 expansion was planned for D3 ? I might be wrong tought...
    From the sounds of it there is a plan for more than one expansion. One can only hope.

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo_iii_expansions_videogamer_interview
    "There is no cow level!"
    I like the idea of Mephisto or all Evils returning, but I also want to see loose ends tied with Adria, because she just left never to be seen again, and she was the reason Diablo returned as the Prime Evil, so it doesn't feel like good storytelling unless it was planned she'd return in the expansion.
    "From the smallest necessity to the highest religious abstraction, from the wheel to the skyscraper, everything we are and everything we have comes from one attribute of man - the function of his reasoning mind." ~ Ayn Rand
    Actually, does someone here remember Diablo: Hellfire? It wasn't made by Blizzard, but by Sierra. I loved it. Why? Diablo was still the uber evil, Hellfire just opened up two seperate dungeons. It added nice features to the game (Cornerstone of the World!), but did not re-invent the game. You could play Diablo or Diablo:Hellfire and have a similar experience.

With Diablo 2, Diablo became pointless and a boss along the way. Baal was the guy people killed over and over and over.
    did not read the thread but nice title
    Browser MMORPG Developer
    didn't they say the next expansion won't have any common story with the trilogy?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes