I got scammed... Or Did I???

Well, the OP did post again (see post #4) admitting it was his fault and that he learned his lesson, so...

/thread?
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    lol
    Sorry you got taken by this one. Its is kinda funny to read about.

I don't think that the "scammer" did anything that isn't allowed by blizzard. Half of what I read in General chat looks like a bunch of lies. This doesn’t sound any different.
    Dunno Blizzard's standpoint on this for D3, but in WoW, this is considered to be a scam, and can lead to temp suspensions.

Luckily, this type of thing is a one-time experience learning process, so I don't think you'll fall for that again any time soon :)
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.

I can't really decide what's worse in this thread.
    If it's the people that see WTB's in the Trade channel, then run to the AH checking it they can make a quick buck;
    If it's the people that think it's all the OP's fault, and that the 'scammer' is "just a smart dude";
    of if it's the people that love this idea and will try this in the future.

I find it not only sad but very disturbing that people believe

a) Scammers are "smart" people to be emulated
    b) Victims are "deserving" of their fate

In a game where virtual gold can be sold for real money, this kind of scam could actually by legally actionable (petty theft?) I'm not a lawyer, so can't say for sure, but at a minimum, a civil suit for the actual damages plus punitive damages should be easily winnable (though might not be collectable, since it isn't possible to determine a person's real identity just from a battle tag, and Blizzard doesn't reveal personal information about players, even if they are scammers.)

In the WOW forums, I remember seeing many different threads about this very scam, and have seen blue posts that said this type of scam was against the TOS (ruining another person's enjoyment of the game) and was a bannable offence. So if I was the OP, I would report the person.
    This is a pretty common scam in EVE Online, which of course is the main home for in-game scams.
    This is a case of a scammer tricking another scammer. Both are equally guilty, one undoubtedly more clever but nevertheless; close thread.

This is a case of a scammer tricking another scammer. Both are equally guilty, one undoubtedly more clever but nevertheless; close thread.

How is one labeled a scammer for looking to flip an item for profit? Many of us buy low and re-list on the AH on an every day basis.

The OP fell for a scam that prey on our nature to make a quick buck. Made a mistake, paid the price for it. Should Blizzard refund the gold? Of course not. However, to label the scam victim a "scammer" is going too far.
    OFFENSIVE STATS: 126K Unbuffed DPS • 183K Buffed DPS • 2.25 APS • +24% Movement Speed
    DEFENSIVE STATS: 1.07M Unbuffed EHP • 102K Life • 2,269 Life on Hit • 674 Life per Sec • 23.5% Dodge
    *bring out his binoculars*
    Nope, I can hardly make out the sign standing along the border of "too far", I'm not there...

Oh wait.. it says "leaving 'too far'".

In order to maintain a civilized tone on this forum, I take back the word scammer which seems to be filled with negativity.

However, I stand by my point (don't like it too civilized): he got tricked out of gold while trying to trick someone else out of gold. Well deserved!

imho, I don't think re-listing something is the same thing as what happened here. I bet ppl are re-listing my items since I always undercut by a lot to sell faster, don't care much for playing the ah =P

This is my last contribution to this thread (enjoy commenting that fact) ^^
    How much gold/money have you put in this? Just wondering :)
    Don't be greedy, and this doesn't happen.

As for trusting others, going through life not doing so... then I pity you.

lol
    Sorry you got taken by this one. Its is kinda funny to read about.

I don't think that the "scammer" did anything that isn't allowed by blizzard. Half of what I read in General chat looks like a bunch of lies. This doesn’t sound any different.

Huge companies using legit tax schemes so they pay less tax than Joe Blogs, morally repugnant? Or just legal and LOLPEOPLEGOTSCREWED.
    Blizzard won't do anything. You were stupid and fell for his trickery, end of story.
    The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes