pickup radius

I agree. I'm currently on no increased pickup radius - I upgraded and replaced my last piece of gear which had any, because I did the DPS/EHP maths and ignored the "useless" pickup radius stat.

And ever since, I have been sad.
    I think that Paragon levels should give some plus to PUR and MS.
    I have 45 yard radius and it's awesome.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Moetsukiru-1656/hero/3157512

it sucks for saving globes though lol, obviously. But I'm not doing anything higher than MP6 so it's all good. I have a lot of fun playing :D
    Honestly, you should just put PUR as the first stat on shoulders and/or belt before looking for anything else, just like movement speed with boots. I will never get boots with less than 9% movespeed, and I will probably never again upgrade to shoulders or a belt without PUR unless it's just ridiculously better than what I have.

But I'm sort of OCD about picking up gold piles, even if it's inefficient. It's hard for me to leave that 1 gold.
    I think this is a sacrifice that you have to take into consideration when you upgrade your gear because it is an important and underrated stat. Lets say you fight a pack of phasebeast. For some classes it is easy, but for others, you NEED the hp globes that drops. It is a question about sustainability -vs- damage that players have to take into consideration when getting upgrades. Will i lose my range ? What is the best item to have pickup range on ?

I have allways tried to have 1-2 items with pickup range, because it is an extremely good stat. Still, others laughed at me. There is no reason to change this.
    I am at 28 yards on my Wizard :-D
    And when i mule my Gear on my WD with the Frog in the Offhand, i am at 48 yards haha :-D

fully dmg buffed around 220k dps... its crazy, like a huge Vacuum Cleaner ;)

Quote from Klemze
    Still, others laughed at me.

Same, friends laughing at me as well.... but its truly awsome to have :)

Right now the Stat is a joke really, but once pvp hits...it could become very essential.

Just look at this Picture :

A huge Pickup Radius in PvP later means... either you get the Healthorb (which is most likely) or the other Guy.
    Put a very Huge EHP, and reasonable/good DPS on Top of that and you got a very nice Edge on other Players ;)
    Moldran even made a Youtube Clip about it... check it out, its crazy :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDVhdpRWHU
    I'm probably in the small minority but I avoid PuR on my items.... yeah gold is pain in the ass but I choose exactly when Im going to use a health globe - I've always played it this way but I had a bit of an epiphany for my DH when I picked up some shoulders with 5000+ life on globes = getting 10k+ life on health globes is AWESOME if you can leave them in your wake as you progress through a level. Kiting got SO much better and even reflect wasn't half as bad (I still thinks its a dumbass mechanic though).
    Quote from Ruppgu

Removing stats from gear is always something I will be VERY against in this game.

The current itemization is already VERY limited. Everyone is after the same stats. Removing the usefulness of Pickup Radius would only make items even more stale. If you don't like how things are with your current pickup radius, then swap out a stat for some more. It's called a tradeoff.... and it's a good thing.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. It should stay the same. My main is my monk and he has zero pickup radius. It is annoying, I agree, but you can't have everything. I saw the benefit of this even more when I started playing my barbarian as a whirlwind spec. I saw the benefits of having it on his gear even more that I made it a point to grab at least a piece with +5 pickup radius. Which made all the difference in snagging most of the gold as I plow through and grabbing health globes with elites.
    Quote from Xenocow

And when i mule my Gear on my WD with the Frog in the Offhand, i am at 48 yards haha :-D

Quote from Klemze

Right now the Stat is a joke really, but once pvp hits...it could become very essential.

A huge Pickup Radius in PvP later means... either you get the Healthorb (which is most likely) or the other Guy.
    Put a very Huge EHP, and reasonable/good DPS on Top of that and you got a very nice Edge on other Players ;)

Nice picture. +1
    Quote from Emberos

Quote from Wetzeb

I actually hate how the pick up radius for globes works. I've been in situations where I'm killing left and right taking hits (wizard) and a globe drops. I don't always pick it up until I start walking. If my radius is 10 yards shouldn't the globe that just dropped at my feet be picked up?

This is something to do with coding - I don't think it does another range check until your position changes. Playing as a WD, you get used to stutter stepping when you want a globe pickup -- but I do agree it would be nice if it did a range check whenever a globe dropped.

I dont think this is always true. Sometimes I stand (alone) in a crowd with shift-key down and tank them, globes drop left and right, and some of them are picked up. I have the feeling it tries to be a little smart and not pick up every globe as soon as it is dropped. I got like +15k from globes and 45k life, so when my life goes to 30k one gets picked up. But again, it does not always work, and it sometimes happens later or never.
    Quote from Xenocow

Quote from Klemze

I see your picture and wonder... you char is 10 yards tall? Looks like feet and yards got picked up. Its also strange that yards directly converts to meters... blizzards has some fishy math.
    Quote from Keiser

Honestly, you should just put PUR as the first stat on shoulders and/or belt before looking for anything else, just like movement speed with boots. I will never get boots with less than 9% movespeed, and I will probably never again upgrade to shoulders or a belt without PUR unless it's just ridiculously better than what I have.

Why shoulders and belts, specifically?
    Quote from st0rmie

Why shoulders and belts, specifically?

These are generally the slots where you can afford to make some compromises. Your pants and chest are probably your main source for hp, boots have movespeed and everything else is too important for damage (aka can roll crit affixes), the shoulders and belts cannot roll that much vitality and only your main stat for damage - except stuff like Witching Hour, but if you can afford that, you can probably afford pickup radius on other items as well - and also never get sockets.
    So you only need maybe 3 or 4 good affixes for them to be very good items, it just makes sense to put your additional needed affixes on them.
    Quote from K√ľken
    These are generally the slots where you can afford to make some compromises. Your pants and chest are probably your main source for hp, boots have movespeed and everything else is too important for damage (aka can roll crit affixes), the shoulders and belts cannot roll that much vitality and only your main stat for damage - except stuff like Witching Hour, but if you can afford that, you can probably afford pickup radius on other items as well - and also never get sockets.
    So you only need maybe 3 or 4 good affixes for them to be very good items, it just makes sense to put your additional needed affixes on them.

Aha, thanks, great answer. Yeah I was thinking offensive stats on bracers & gloves, movement speed on boots.. I didn't consider sockets on pants, chest and of course helm, though.

As a barb, shoulders and belts are the slots for extra high strength, which counterbalances chest and pants being the slots for extra high vitality. But the socket issue is still there.
    All they need is slightly increase the base pickup radius so I don't have to run over a stack of gold 3 times before it picks up. Granted, it doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough to be really annoying to the point where I should probably not even bother with gold stacks under 2k and even then only if they drop close to me. Getting an item or 2 with pickup radius is not a real option as the gold I'd pick up with it is simply not worth it and I don't really need the health globes.

Pickup radius would be much cooler if the game would work more like originally designed, where health globes are a significant portion of your healing, rather than a negligible part. Of course, with the fast-pace direction the game has taken, this isn't really possible without extremely major changes.

If you insist on getting some pickup radius, shoulders and belt are the most viable options, as extra strength is their only real benefit (life% too, but that is too rare/expensive and usually just discounted anyway, and it's not really special to those 2 slots as it can roll on helms/chests/amulets/rings too), and if you're not a barb even the extra strength is not a factor for you. If you aren't using lacuni's (though I really can't see why you won't regardless if your budget is 700k or 700mil), bracers aren't too bad, as their only "specialty" is crit and even that can't roll too high. By the way, for those exact reasons shoudlers/belts/bracers are the last place I would consider compromising my resists for other stats, as the other stats they can have are rather limited.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes