Can anybody explain gem prices?

Creating a maximum level gem cost 15.4 million gold in fees alone.

Yet currently, the prices are thus:
    Ruby: 7 million
    Emerald: 9 million
    Topaz: 4 million
    Amnethyst: 2.5 million

How is it possible that these gems are selling for a lot less than it costs to create them? Prices also seem to continuously fall even further.

I am no expert in economics, but I think if a commodity sells for a lot less than it costs to produce it, there must be a serious oversupply. An existing oversupply mind you, because there is no reason to produce any more.

Somehow I doubt that everybody who'd want high gems (and there is no reason not to) already has them. Maybe a lot of people had produced gems en masse while prices were high and somehow failed to sell them, without that causing prices to fall earlier, but that seems improbable.

Does anybody have a good explanation of this phenomenon that avoids assuming a widespread stupidity or simple duping?
    I can't offer a concrete explaination but I can at least give my two sense. I know that one popular theory is that some people who currently have gems are quiting the game and therefore don't care what they sell for, they are just trying to liquidate their equipment (including gems) to get a little take home cash.

Another theory is that there is a number of gems on the market but trading is still going on. People are trying the play the gold AH and the RMAH. When the minimum buyout for gold was $.25 x 100k gold, people would by gems off of one market and sell on the other market to turn a profit.

And as an aside, at what time did you see topazes for 4mil? I was on last night and they were going for 10 mil.
    Its caused by duping, radiant stars on Asian servers r going for 500k...
    Its been a problem for some time, seems blizzard dosnt really give a damn and will "wait and fix it later" >_>
    Quote from Frolk

Its been a problem for some time, seems blizzard dosnt really give a damn and will "wait and fix it later" >_>

Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a source that proves it is duping? I see everyone saying that it is duping but the only proof that is offered is the prices on the AH. I just don't find prices found on the AH to be "proof"
    Current prices are as follows:

Asia:

Amethyst - 817,071g
    Emerald - 229,806g
    Ruby - 351,372g
    Topaz - 363,300g

Europe:
    Amethyst - 2,406,392g
    Emerald - 8,928,084g
    Ruby - 6,901,717g
    Topaz - 4,100,134g

The Americas:

Amethyst - 10,364,676g
    Emerald - 13,142,327g
    Ruby - 15,000,000g
    Topaz - 13,000,000g

Seems to support the theory that someone in Asia figured out how to dupe items and it leaked to Europe. Usually the NA servers are the last to get wind of stuff like this.
    Quote from Mortisnox

Quote from Frolk

Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a source that proves it is duping? I see everyone saying that it is duping but the only proof that is offered is the prices on the AH.

There's no real proof, but there are so many things for which the only possible explanation is duping.

For example:
    http://www.diablopro...m/item/12492932
    http://www.diablopro...om/item/5456526

And @Mortisnox: the prices are correct according to EU servers. People should say what servers they're talking about, because whenever I see a post "gem prices going back to normal" and check the AH, I realize it's The Americas where gem prices are recovering a bit. On EU servers they're pretty much stable for 10 days now on the values mentioned in the OP.
    duping. Hope they fix it soon :x
    EU: a few days ago emeralds were at ~6.5m now they're up to 9m, so either they're going back up again or I was just looking at a very huge drop.
    Heard a few people made 500+ million by buying low and selling high. Wish I would have done that!
    I just bought a Radiant Star Emerald for 8,872,720 and I got an 8mil refund.
    The gem was only 872,720. WTH is going on here.
    the duping is done by blizzard restoration into scheme where someone is hacking himself with some other account

I doubt blizzard delete the ''hacked'' gem and they restore and restore again and add more into the game without any cost.
    This is how you can duplicate on D3 i believe.

if someone from blizzard can deny this theory....or confirm that when an item is restored the source is deleted
    that would be really really nice

else there is no logic explanation to gem price

ive heard also that botter were gold capped so they stacked gems as currency

in both way ......this shouldnt be happening
    Duping. It started in the Asian servers and is now working it's way through European & American servers. I would show proof but i'm pretty sure that it's against forum rules to post a link to websites dedicated to hacking.
    its all over youtube look it up
    Quote from Andead

I just bought a Radiant Star Emerald for 8,872,720 and I got an 8mil refund.
    The gem was only 872,720. WTH is going on here.

Same, just in larger scale. Either someone forgot a 0 when listing 100 Radiant Star Gems, or, the more likely version, we got even further evidence for dupes and the people doing the dupes just want to sell the gems asap.

[17:00:49] DH - nugiyen:

Quote from Xoth

Somehow I doubt that everybody who'd want high gems (and there is no reason not to) already has them.

This actually is not that unlikely. The large majority of players won't have much use for more than 1 Radiant Star (maximum, the majority does not have much use of even that 1) at a price of 15 million+. 10% critchance gain from next lowest gem might be at least considered by some players. But paying 10 million and more for 4 stats?

This is only interesting for players who basically almost maxed out all their items. You would be talking about some very Hardcore players and credit card players here, most of whom probably got their Radiant Stars as early as possible.

Players running around with 100-300 million in gear (and less) are much likely to buy lower gems first because the gold saved might be of better use for other items. It's not about if players want the best gems possible. It's about the price AND the benefits of the best gems COMPARED to the price/benefits of lower gems.

Sadly we do not know how much gems have been produced, we do not know if their actually is something like a playtime gap between hardcore players and more casual players (e. g. 1% 6 hours+ a day, 0.1% 4 to 6 hours a day, 98.5% less than 4 hours a day), we do not know how many players put how much money into a "stocks speculation game" and so on. Current prices could be the result of overproduction and speculation combined or they could be the result of gems being duped (though I would not expect the server price differences for economical reasons if mass duping would be the reason).
    Quote from Cryomatic

the duping is done by blizzard restoration into scheme where someone is hacking himself with some other account

I doubt blizzard delete the ''hacked'' gem and they restore and restore again and add more into the game without any cost.
    This is how you can duplicate on D3 i believe.

if someone from blizzard can deny this theory....or confirm that when an item is restored the source is deleted
    that would be really really nice

else there is no logic explanation to gem price

ive heard also that botter were gold capped so they stacked gems as currency

in both way ......this shouldnt be happening

Quote from LordPoekel

Quote from Xoth

Somehow I doubt that everybody who'd want high gems (and there is no reason not to) already has them.

...Sadly we do not know how much gems have been produced, we do not know if their actually is something like a playtime gap between hardcore players and more casual players (e. g. 1% 6 hours+ a day, 0.1% 4 to 6 hours a day, 98.5% less than 4 hours a day), we do not know how many players put how much money into a "stocks speculation game" and so on. Current prices could be the result of overproduction and speculation combined or they could be the result of gems being duped (though I would not expect the server price differences for economical reasons if mass duping would be the reason).

Just wanted to say thanks. This makes sense since the same thing happened to me in World of Warcraft (for the record I was playing diablo 2 long before WoW) All blizz does is restore the items that were lost. I doubt that the lost items are tracked and then deleted.

This is a type of answer I was looking for, not a "AH is proof...done". Also, I don't want to know how they are duped, just proof that this is the reason for the price gap. Duping is just wrong and why I won't even give a duper the satisfaction of a view on youtube.
    Quote from Temsen

EU: a few days ago emeralds were at ~6.5m now they're up to 9m, so either they're going back up again or I was just looking at a very huge drop.

I just figured out what happened: All the dupers live in NYC and are out of power, that's why prices are going up ;)
    look like the dupe is fixed , the gems on all regions are going up , looking at asia server the gems are up betwin 300-600%
    Quote from thundersteele

Quote from Temsen

I just figured out what happened: All the dupers live in NYC and are out of power, that's why prices are going up ;)

...Too soon?
    "There is no cow level!"
    So, sometime back, everyone wanted these gems, people stocked up and tried to sell in hopes of netting profit. But because there is no real gem-sink (they dont ever leave the game unless sold or dropped), there is simply too many gems for too little people to use.

Resent prices may have been caused by duping, there is no official source to this, only speculation.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes