Diablo 3 Damage Meter (Proof of Concept)

It doesn't seem to work properly either in a party or for very high DPS numbers, not sure which of both. When I tested it earlier playing CM/WW, I was in a party with two Witch Doctors. When I was inside of a bunch of enemies, my displayed DPS went up to ~6 million and then suddenly dropped to like 200k. It didn't freeze or anything, it just stayed at 100-300k while I was doing at least 10 times as much. Since the number didn't seem to be the cap for any data type I know of, I'm assuming it simply displayed the DPS of another player in the party.
    1) is it legit to use this kind of add-on?
    2)is it possible if I make a video which records my play and then use this tool to analyse my video?
    i dont think its legit
    100% sure it is not legit due to blizzards policy, would not use it myself, but i do think blizzard should enable it ingame.
    use on own risk i would say very loud
    **Farming is my life**
    Most definitely a dps meter of some kind should be added. D3 should have come with an extensible UI like WoW to begin with.

A dmg meters addition would be really fun to have in group play.
    Unfortunately no addons are allowed and using even something as irrelevant as a DPS meter can get your account perma banned. Experiment at your own risk.
    do not use this!!!
    its a 3rd party program, which is forbidden for good reasons. you will just get yourself banned.
    This would be a great addition to D3 in my opinion, but at the same time I wouldn't chance a ban from using it as a 3rd party addon.

Good work though, but use at your own risk I say.
    So I was very negative about having a DPS meter in my first response here, however this was actually off-topic, so I won't further argue in this direction.

Note that you can already measure your single target DPS quite accurately by engaging some bosses at high MP and just take the time. AoE dps fluctuates a lot, so unless you find a way to break it down by mob group size, it might not be a very useful number.

Quote from Speaker

I would love a dps meter, especially with dmg breakdowns as someone mentioned, but even better would be an efficiency meter. Exp/hour, kills/hour, rares/hour, ilvl 63s/hour, etc. This could allow you to see which farming routes are potentially the best based on your play style and see how well you are doing compared to usual. Maybe even compare with your friends.

This actually sounds like a better idea. A tool that tracks runs, i.e. counts mobs killed, elites killed, exp/time etc would be somewhat useful to optimize farming strategies. While the purist in me still thinks that less is more, the statistician would be more than happy.
    being a software developer myself, iam really impressed by your code - you definetly know your stuff.

how long did it take you ?

Quote from Molster

I knew someone would try to make something like this, but had no idea they already had the data in such an accessible way. I really wish/hope blizzard changes their stance on addons/mods some day =(

have you even looked as the source ?
    i wont call it exactly accessible....
    Funny cos I was just talking to my friend yesterday about a combat log. I have no idea what is happening to my character half of the time when my screen is just full of mobs. Can't even analysis anything correctly.
    I tried out the dmg meter yesterday, somehow it is still quite buggy? i am still getting the -9billion number once in a while, the program cant reset once it get jam.
    I would love a damage meter for myself, especially if it broke down by spell. This would be incredibly helpful, and would help me figure out my own builds and playstyle. It would also bring back the fun of experimenting new builds. When I cant judge my damage, I often give up on new builds if they arent easy to play. I would love to see skill paying off with better DPS.

That said....I would be against group meters (i.e. seeing other peoples DPS) that is what actually makes meters so negative for wow. Knowing your own is fun, and helpful. A-holes seeing undergeared/less skilled players dps and harrassing them is disgusting to me and a large reason I quit WOW.

ALso, pretty sure its not allowed. Blizzard can detect these things right?
    Quote from Speaker

I would love a dps meter, especially with dmg breakdowns as someone mentioned, but even better would be an efficiency meter. Exp/hour, kills/hour, rares/hour, ilvl 63s/hour, etc. This could allow you to see which farming routes are potentially the best based on your play style and see how well you are doing compared to usual. Maybe even compare with your friends.

This guy has it right. DPS =/= drops, kills = drops. There are so many factors that go into successful farming that are not taken into account by a DPS meter, which is the main reason the barb ww tornado build is so strong.
    Quote from Litheum

I would love a damage meter for myself, especially if it broke down by spell. This would be incredibly helpful, and would help me figure out my own builds and playstyle. It would also bring back the fun of experimenting new builds. When I cant judge my damage, I often give up on new builds if they arent easy to play. I would love to see skill paying off with better DPS.

That said....I would be against group meters (i.e. seeing other peoples DPS) that is what actually makes meters so negative for wow. Knowing your own is fun, and helpful. A-holes seeing undergeared/less skilled players dps and harrassing them is disgusting to me and a large reason I quit WOW.

ALso, pretty sure its not allowed. Blizzard can detect these things right?

I believe Blizz would have to update Warden in order for it to be detected, but you never know when they will start looking for it and start banning people. Not worth chancing IMO.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes