What happened to Gem prices????

I haven't checked Gem prices in a while, probably not since 1.05 hit, but what happened?

Radiant star gems used to all be well over 10 mil, most over 15-20 mil. Now they are all under 5 mil.

Did they change crafting costs? I know it used to cost over 20 mil to craft them, right?

Why did they crash so hard?
    Radiant Stars cost 400,000 gold plus the extra stuff to craft. Yes the prices have come drastically, which suits me just fine.

Not sure why they came down so fast, maybe more people up farming in areas they never were before ?
    MAYBE its because the prices for plans have dropped much,so there are more pple able to craft their gems.
    later in order to gain fast some cash u could sell them(like puttin some cash in a pig now and then and than smashing it someday).
    this is what i would guess but mhhh idk^^
    http://eu.battle.net...15/hero/3537963
    NoSignToLife

always happy to help/inform
    ingame or here ;)
    Multiple theories abound... I think the three most likely are:

1)The RMAH conversion has more to do with the price than the craft cost.
    2)People are quitting and trying to liquidate stuff to sell gold and don't care about losing money on the combine costs.
    3)Someone somewhere has figured out how to illegally duplicate items.
    Quote from Westy357

Radiant Stars cost 400,000 gold plus the extra stuff to craft. Yes the prices have come drastically, which suits me just fine.

Not sure why they came down so fast, maybe more people up farming in areas they never were before ?

Radiant Stars from Perfect Stars maybe, but if you're combining for yourself, you have to start at flawless sq which is considerably more than 400k. Unless you are buying Perfs on the AH, but to make money, you're still going to have to be selling the Rads for at least ((3 x Perf cost)+400,000)*1.15 otherwise why combine them?

(PS, it costs 15,400,000 to combine a Radiant Star from Flawless Squares)
    Because one of the largest part in the cost was acquiring all the required square gems.
    What we see now is the price drop caused by all the surplus smaller gems that were stored away and now were combined into the squares tier and in order crafted up to radiant stars.
    Lots of people probably had the same "great idea" to get eazy money selling gems...and had like 100000 smaller gems waiting in alts and whatnot. Specially botters, bots can be set up to pick up gems.
    What we see is a peak in offer while demand is constant (if not dropping, wich would be my guess).
    Also last time I checked Topazes were more expensive than Emeralds. That also is evidence... many people never bother to even pick up gems that are not Ruby or Emerald, and now those are the two types that are going for least.... too many offers.
    Quote from JKlimek

((3 x Perf cost)+400,000)*1.15

((3 x Perf cost)+400,000)/0.85

Or * 1.176...

0.85 * 1.15 is not 1. :)
    imho the square gems were never a significant part of the total crafting cost. Gems have not changed since the release of the game, and there is absolutely no gem sink in the game. My guess is that by now, there are more star (and higher) gems around than the market can absorb, so gem prices have decoupled from the production cost and dropped.

Eventually Blizzard will have to rethink gems and/or introduce a sink.
    My monk Vin
    Might also be connected to the color of plan/design drops. More people have them now as they are much easier to spot when they drop.

Quote from thundersteele

Lets hope this happens before the first expansion.
    Quote from Ashes

Might also be connected to the color of plan/design drops. More people have them now as they are much easier to spot when they drop.

Quote from thundersteele

Lets hope this happens before the first expansion.
    Aye, I agree.
    Yeah, this makes no sense. It costs 15.4 million in gold alone to craft a Radiant Star, assuming you have all the mats to do it yourself. There is no way to reduce the crafting cost below this number.

Anyone who is selling a Radiant Star gem for less than that is losing money, period.
    Gems should be destroyed or atleast degraded when removed from items, imho.
    My guess is from account compromises. Accounts get hacked, and the hackers sell the gems cheaply and quickly to get as much as they can out of it before the account gets locked. Then Blizzard rolls back the account to before the hack and in a round-about way, we have blizzard duping gems for us. Cycle repeats, and the market is flooded.
    Blizzard could introduce crafts (or enchants) which would require high quality gems and the gems would be destroyed in the process. Of course, those crafts and enchants should be worthwhile and not mainly useless like the current crafts.

As for the current price, I think it is just too much supply and too little demand. Obviously people selling the gems have not crafted them but instead have bought them some time in the past and now just trying to get rid of the stock.
    The problem with gems is two-fold: (1) gems are permanent and (2) the crafting costs are way too high.

Second root cause, ie. the costs of crafting, also determines the first root cause, ie. permanency of gems, because you cant justify destruction or degradation of gem due to the high costs of crafting.
    Additional problem is the discrepancy in the usefulness of gems and their effects. Effect of critical hit damage is much more influential on game play, and its costs are better justified, then +magic find or % HP increase. Problem is when gem effects are different but crafting costs are the same. It is questionable whether crafting fees should be lowered for those underutilized gems or their effect should be reworked and their crafting price should stay the same.

Either way, Im glad to prices of gems are dropping because I can buy more of them!
    I like the way gems work ^^

just farm items no need to farm gems or sell it :P

ofc I am casual
    There is a huge glut of gems on the market right now. In fact, to balance the market there would need to be a way to do one of two things, first, bring in more players who will buy more gems or two, somehow make a way for gems to go away (i.e. destroy them when removed from an item) If you look at the economics side of things, this is true of any economy. Supply..... Demand......

I don't even pick up gems to craft anymore. WIth the price of them as low as it is, I can score gold faster and just buy them rather than waste time picking them up.
    "There is no cow level!"
    Quote from Syronicus

There is a huge glut of gems on the market right now. In fact, to balance the market there would need to be a way to do one of two things, first, bring in more players who will buy more gems or two, somehow make a way for gems to go away (i.e. destroy them when removed from an item) If you look at the economics side of things, this is true of any economy. Supply..... Demand......

I don't even pick up gems to craft anymore. WIth the price of them as low as it is, I can score gold faster and just buy them rather than waste time picking them up.

Not to mention sitting there crafting one by one "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsshPING!" - 4 seconds gone
    Quote from RenescoD3

Quote from Syronicus

Not to mention sitting there crafting one by one "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsshPING!" - 4 seconds gone
    Agreed! It was easier watching Twilight again with my wife than spending 20 minutes combining gems. What a waste of friggin' time that was. If they would have made it an instant or allowed us to bundle gems imediately then maybe it would have been better but the wait is horrible when you have a few hundred gems to combine.
    "There is no cow level!"
    I assume the cost to craft them was reduced drastically. No other way to explain the drop from 18-20 mil down to 4 mil. Didnt they use to craft a lot to craft?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes