Hellfire ring nerfed?

Quote from USSNotGood

Quote from MasterFischer

People generally are retarded when it comes to changes like this..

OOOHHH DONT NERF IT LOLZZ.... i want my 90000 milion dmg weapon to instant kill everything.. cuz its funn brah !

Yeah.... How would this NOT get nerfed? It's stupidly OP and gamebreaking. Were there ever any chance it WOULDNT get nerfed ? No.

I swear, some people on this forum are really dumb.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it wasn't OP. it's just that they went from ridiculously OP to completely useless outside of the experience gain which some of us do not care about. How can there not be a comfortable medium between nuclear bomb damage and a little kid with a slingshot?

It's not useless... dmg is better than no Dmg..

The ring is still very good, even if you removed the proc all together... so what the fuck are u all whining about?

20k is fine.. and actually very fine. And the other stats are godly too... just get a good roll.. and relax.

How would it be if the proc never even existed, but just the hellfire ring with stats? Would people have whined then? No...

You act like spoiled kids.... who got a new toy... then it got taken away from u.. and u cry endlessly about it... well boofuckinghoo..

life sucks, get on it with :)
    It may still be good, but it's not very interesting now :P yay more stats
    "I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    ~ Bertrand Russell ~
    British author, mathematician & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
    This reminds me of the previous class nerfs where people flocked to play said class and kept changing classes each time to play the OP one.

No item was near what this item was set as.

I am so glad you "don't nerf my ring bro" guys don't design games because you basically would kill each game in the process.
    I love the fallacy: "some damage is better than no damage", I'll google that one, I don't know which one is yet.
    Quote from waTiem

How can you be a moderator and continually post this idiotic disinformation?

Being a moderator has nothing to do with having in-game knowledge of the mechanics. It has to do with keeping the forums a nice place to discuss things and infracting people like you who waste time poking others into flame wars.

The ring does not proc once per second, it procs once every ten seconds (or so)

I'm not sure what streams you've been watching. Maybe too much WW Barb or Wiz (with low proc rates) I saw a Monk proccing it solidly at least 1/sec or every 2 seconds. Oh noes IT'S RANDOM! Guess what, people with high end gear are attacking 2-3 times/sec and classes like Monks have decent proc ratios on their basic attacks.

And to top it all off it's only 5 stats instead of 6 because of the exp bounus so I'm sure the guys that are scrambling to be in the first 1000 to get to paragon 100 will use it instead of Leorics, but the rest of us will wait 2 weeks and buy something better off the AH for some gold.

Congratz on reaching Paragon lvl 100. Might wanna spend your time playing or doing something else on your life instead of complaining about how the game doesn't have enough content for people who plays 1.5k hours on the first couple months. This whole "hardcore gamer" attitude and e-peening is a fucking cancer to every game's community, and is specially bad on WoW and D3. If people wanna show off how good they are as gamers, why don't they just play a competitive game (SC2, CS, DotA) where they can actually do it, instead of bitching on mostly coop/single-player experience games.

And that's the point. People were excited about it, I was, the streamers were, everyone and the only way to get it was to do the new content.

People were excited for an item that can do 3 million dmg in a proc? It goes to show how clueless players are regarding game balance and design. Thanks, I'll stick to the developers who actually have experience and put some thought into what they say/decide, instead of the knee jerking reaction of a vocal minority.

But now it's just a huge letdown. Let me put it to you another way. Who farms ACT IV? No one. Why? It's not worth it -- same goes for this. Why create new content that no one is excited about? I don't get it.

The point of the ring in the first place to me was the exp boost, not a proc which will override the dps of 90% of the players. It feels better to work for my own Leoric's instead of thinking I'll never be able to amass 80-150 million gold for one (which I have, but I'm still not buying it). I can't wait to have some of these to lvl up my characters, and chasing a good rolled ring is still going to be exciting to me. Don't talk as if you were representing the whole playerbase, because I'm 100% postive you aren't.
    To be honest I really did not think they were going to leave the ring as it was on the PTR, do I think the nerf was over the top maybe but in reality the main point for the ring was XP boost with somewhat good stats which it is so I really don't see the big fuss.
    Sometimes when I hear people screaming and shouting for something really stupid and destructive I wish I could just give it to them.

Imagine the look on their face, facerolling everything for thirty seven minute of pure, unadulterated, oblivious and dementend joy. And then, the other look on their face... when they understand the hack and slash of the decade is just ruined. Ended. No more fun to be had. They'd try to send some more fireballs clic clic pew pew... but... ahahahah!

Yeah. That would be priceless.

You guys are very lucky none of those D3's dev is a sadistic fudge like me.
    Quote from Slayardarklaws

Imagine the look on their face, facerolling everything for thirty seven minute of pure, unadulterated, oblivious and dementend joy. And then, the other look on their face... when they understand the hack and slash of the decade is just ruined. Ended. No more fun to be had. They'd try to send some more fireballs clic clic pew pew... but... ahahahah!

Making Diablo/Baalruns with a Hammerdin in D2 is way more fun than this game. And guess what? It is pure faceroll and takes 2 minutes per run.
    20k damage proc isn't actually that bad, everyone must agree that 2 million is... well, ridiculous. This way I get guaranteed main stat, considerable EXP bonus, moderate proc and chance to roll good affixes, why not, it has the potential to be BiS (same as any unique, really) and has unique proprties.

Anyway, proc higher then 50k would be too overpowered.

What would really let me down is if this ring were the only sole thing dropping from Uber Bosses, I really do hope they have considerably increased chance to drop legendaries and higher affix items. Otherwise, I'm afraid the ring alone could be not rewarding enough to justify running Ubers.
    Quote from Efrye

Making Diablo/Baalruns with a Hammerdin in D2 is way more fun than this game. And guess what? It is pure faceroll and takes 2 minutes per run.

Grinding without a single chance of losing anything or without the slightest challenge isn't my personal idea of fun. Super Mario World and Top Gear 1/2/3000 were more challenging than D2's runs (at peak power, mid-game D2 was quite challenging if you didn't know the mechanics - aka had a fire Sorc on Hell).

I'm pretty sure a crapload of people are still having fun with D3, otherwise I wouldn't be losing auctions left and right this weekend (started playing again after finishing Borderlands 2 and TL2).
    Quote from Draken

Quote from Ashes

Did people really believe there would be a ring with 3-5m damage proc? Really?

This..

So why did they bother putting that much damage on the ptr when Blizzard should know it was OP from the beginning. Give a reasonable proc damage in the first place rather than a ridiculous one.
    Quote from djxt22
    So why did they bother putting that much damage on the ptr when Blizzard should know it was OP from the beginning. Give a reasonable proc damage in the first place rather than a ridiculous one.

They didn't "bother putting that much damage on the ptr". If you read the front page of this site you'll see that it was a bug.

It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.
    Quote from Kyoob

What would really let me down is if this ring were the only sole thing dropping from Uber Bosses, I really do hope they have considerably increased chance to drop legendaries and higher affix items. Otherwise, I'm afraid the ring alone could be not rewarding enough to justify running Ubers.

This is my feeling exactly. I don't want to go through many hours just to craft one more ring. Especially with the way RNG works, it will most likely suck... at least make the ubers drop decent stuff so it can be considered farming somewhat
    Always looking for people to play with! Battletag (US server): AirRik#1555
    Didn't someone do the math and find out that the chances of this thing rolling trifecta was less than 1/1000? If they left the proc damage at something reasonable, I could see spending the hours trying to get multiple hellfire rings to get something decent. Instead now I'm probably going to get one that has crappy stats, use it for a bit for the experience and find a decent rare ring on the ah and use that instead.

Do you realize how much easier it'll be to get an awesome rare ring than it'll be to get a decent one of these? The experience is good if you really want to powerlevel paragon and you get the main stat as a guarantee, but it just gets to be just like everything else in this game. It takes too much effort to get anything good, to play a game that is just kinda okay instead of really fun. Their advertised design philosophy before the game came out was that everybody would feel overpowered. I don't know how long it usually takes blizzard to iron out the kinks in their games, but I'm not sure I trust their design decisions for diablo 3, everything just kinda feels bland.
    Quote from Ruppgu

When will blizzard learn that static numbers on procs is a bad idea? A 20k proc is pathetic when your normal hits are doing 300-600k. To be balanced and worthwhile, it needs to have a starting value and then scale based on your main stat/+dmg. That also stops it from being overpowered at low levels. I'm not sure how no one at Blizzard can figure this out.... it's disappointing really.

It is not a bad idea for them. When you have a team thinking the way to balance the game and promote diversity is nearing skills people actually enjoyed, then we have a problem. Why don't they increase the other skills to make them more attractive
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes