Hellfire ring nerfed?

Blizzard logic... over and over and OVER again...

They put something fun in the game... granted, it was op... everybody knows that.
    but the next step, (and its always the same in all Blizzard games) they gonna crumble it to the ground.

I mean wtf... why should anybody even go for it now?
    20k dmg?

Why not 500-800k dmg?
    Quote from Ruppgu

When will blizzard learn that static numbers on procs is a bad idea? A 20k proc is pathetic when your normal hits are doing 300-600k. To be balanced and worthwhile, it needs to have a starting value and then scale based on your main stat/+dmg. That also stops it from being overpowered at low levels. I'm not sure how no one at Blizzard can figure this out.... it's disappointing really.
    Cannot agree more!
    I think 50k-100 or around there would be best :P
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Quote from Turtel

Quote from Vuron

The only thing that makes this ring better than a rare ring the "no level requirement". Rare rings after the patch can roll with ilvl 63 affixes, so can blow this away.

Excuse me, but how exactly?? If we are talking about pure dps, no surv/util then lets think about it. Rare rings can have 6 props, this ring has 7 of which 4 are random and 2 have a dps purpose. There are 5 dps stats: primary+chc+chd+as+damage. Hellfire ring can roll all of these, with same values as a rare, but has the proc on top which makes it a winner (doesn't matter by how much).

If you are talking about a well balanced ring with not only dps stats, its still far from a bad ring cuase it would only have 1 less stat (primary+4randoms=5) than a rare, but the proc still counts for something and 35%xp is extremely valuable for most players ( look at Leorics. How much stats do ppl give up for THAT?) , those that are not 100 or close to it.

The problem is that it "does matter how much". Like I said in my post, it is a risk (or time) versus reward. How many times are you going to farm the key wardens, open the portals, pray that you get the right portal and they actually drop the materials, and then create the ring, praying that it has useful affixes? waTiem nailed it with his post when he said this ring drove interest in the game. Now, it won't be different than any other high-end ring and defeats the entire purpose of the, supposedly, end-game content that is being added with the patch. This ring was supposed to be part of the end-game content and SHOULD be BiS.

The problem that I have is when they make content and then a major change makes that content useless or obsolete. How many people actually farm Whimsey since the chest nerf? For that matter, how many people even bother making the staff, anymore.
    Well that sucks. I was looking forward to putting in the work to get one of these. 20k damage proc? My monk is not even godly and his sneezes do more damage than that.
    With that property being useless then the only other unique thing is a hefty experience bump? I personally am not really focusing on fast leveling so it doesn't appeal all that much to me. Since it will have good main stat it can still be a great ring depending on your random rolls but is it worth the multiple grinds it is going to take to get a good one?
    i think that if you do 250k in a normal crit dmg. then the ring should get you 500-800k crit dmg.. that would be a fair crit dmg.
    20k is just way to low.. 20k crit can i make whit almost alle my gear off...
    .:|Barbarian|:.
    It's still a beta. Like Ruppgu said, hopefully Blizz will get a clue and scale the ring off your stats.
    i dont get why blizz allways make a great thing.. Yeah it was way to OP.
    a nerf must be done.. but to go from OP to Crap is just bad business..
    why not find something in between

blizz blizz blizz... O MY GOD.. the day you get something right the first time i will cry my self to sleep.
    .:|Barbarian|:.
    Omg lol. So Leoric's Signet is 100mil and Hellfire ring is useless? Are you people stupid or what?
    Quote from Ashes

Quote from Jicco

It's not how OP it was. It's how useless it is now, lol
    No level requirement, good proc, high main stat and guaranteed 4 random rolls is useless? Well in that case I want a few more useless items like this.

Did people really believe there would be a ring with 3-5m damage proc? Really?
    Some people are just dumb...

I'm surprised it does more than 5-10k dmg to be honest (considering dmg from stuff like Fire Walkers, it's still 10x higher than those, in a projectile, in an AoE).

It already has the potential to be an insanely good item with 4 (!) ilvl 63 affixes, and then people actually wanted a proc that can kill monsters by itself? So they can build characters with 5-10k dps and kill things on MP10?
    Well, BLZ says it's a "bug fix".

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230705#5
    Quote from Zero(pS)

Quote from Ashes

Quote from Jicco

It's not how OP it was. It's how useless it is now, lol
    No level requirement, good proc, high main stat and guaranteed 4 random rolls is useless? Well in that case I want a few more useless items like this.

Did people really believe there would be a ring with 3-5m damage proc? Really?
    Some people are just dumb...

I'm surprised it does more than 5-10k dmg to be honest (considering dmg from stuff like Fire Walkers, it's still 10x higher than those, in a projectile, in an AoE).

It already has the potential to be an insanely good item with 4 (!) ilvl 63 affixes, and then people actually wanted a proc that can kill monsters by itself? So they can build characters with 5-10k dps and kill things on MP10?

There is something you dont get, even if the ring is overall a very good item, the 20k damage is too low for a high end character.

Its like saying: "hey, this sword has EVERY AFFIX EXCELLENT and you complain about the +5 strength?, really?". Its an invalid argument.

The best option, IMO, would be to make it scale with your own stats, like every other skill in the game.
    the point is, is a decent ring with additional damage you wouldn't be doing otherwise... sure it may be a bit low, but in D2 wasn't the hellfire torch... uhh... what was it, firestorm? didn't that do crap damage? everyone still had a torch, sure it did other things... but doesn't this ring also do other things? what it comes down to is, if you feel the ring is right for you / worth the time to acquire, then by all means, have a blast.... if not, then don't bother... just set monster power to 1 or above and farm other stuff that could be better.... personally i didn't play the ptr, so either way the bug fix isn't going to affect me. doing however many mil damage per proc would make this game blow...
    WD - mostly other chars are toilet... my pride and joy ;D http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SirBoneselot-1182/hero/1672627
    There's a reason for it to not scale with stats, and that's mainly to make sure dps-focused heroes don't get the most powerful proc in an item while defensive builds (which are arguably already a lot inferior and less effective than dps-oriented ones) get an extremely shitty proc.

If you honestly consider 20k dmg, in a unique and free proc (considering the ring can still roll pretty good stats) that deals dmg in an AoE, worthless; I'm not sure what gear you're using or what math you're using on your character dps.

Even for high-end dps characters (aka dealing 200-250k dps) that's still a solid 10%~ damage increase on average, from ONE affix from ONE item. For a top-end high-survivability character with 50-60k dps, that's an insane 30%~ dmg increase on average.

You could argue my percentages are a bit off, since your skills don't all do 100% weapon dmg (which means you're doing a lot more than the 200k dps from char sheet), but even if you halve them you'll be looking at an easy 3-5% dmg increase. That's solid, and definitely not even remotely close to +5 str/int/dex. Hell, I don't think even with 80-100 mainstat you could get 20k dps (unless you have very high rolled trifectas).

It's not supposed to be the only possible BiS ring for all eternity. And if the proc did millions in dmg, even with shitty affixes, it would be.
    Quote from julian_zhu

Quote from Ruppgu

When will blizzard learn that static numbers on procs is a bad idea? A 20k proc is pathetic when your normal hits are doing 300-600k. To be balanced and worthwhile, it needs to have a starting value and then scale based on your main stat/+dmg. That also stops it from being overpowered at low levels. I'm not sure how no one at Blizzard can figure this out.... it's disappointing really.
    Cannot agree more!
    I agree also! Find the middle. Like Moldren said in his youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnH82KALOEA&feature=colike find the sweet spot. 40% nerf, or even 50 would have been okay. 99.5% is Crazy!
    Quote from aides16

Quote from julian_zhu

Quote from Ruppgu

Cannot agree more!
    I agree also! Find the middle. Like Moldren said in his youtube video the sweet spot. 40% nerf, or even 50 would have been okay. 99.5% is Crazy!

How is 50% the middle? its supposed to be a small dps increase, 50% of the old proc dmg would still be to OP.

Don't care for Moldren, thats the same guy that said that Blizzard nerfed WW barbs so they would have to spend money on RMAH to get better gear, therefor making Blizzard money.

I don't see a reason for outrage over this, there should be no item in the game that is that powerful, the end.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

There's a reason for it to not scale with stats, and that's mainly to make sure dps-focused heroes don't get the most powerful proc in an item while defensive builds (which are arguably already a lot inferior and less effective than dps-oriented ones) get an extremely shitty proc.

If you honestly consider 20k dmg, in a unique and free proc (considering the ring can still roll pretty good stats) that deals dmg in an AoE, worthless; I'm not sure what gear you're using or what math you're using on your character dps.

Even for high-end dps characters (aka dealing 200-250k dps) that's still a solid 10%~ damage increase on average, from ONE affix from ONE item. For a top-end high-survivability character with 50-60k dps, that's an insane 30%~ dmg increase on average.

You could argue my percentages are a bit off, since your skills don't all do 100% weapon dmg (which means you're doing a lot more than the 200k dps from char sheet), but even if you halve them you'll be looking at an easy 3-5% dmg increase. That's solid, and definitely not even remotely close to +5 str/int/dex. Hell, I don't think even with 80-100 mainstat you could get 20k dps (unless you have very high rolled trifectas).

It's not supposed to be the only possible BiS ring for all eternity. And if the proc did millions in dmg, even with shitty affixes, it would be.

How can you be a moderator and continually post this idiotic disinformation? The ring does not proc once per second, it procs once every ten seconds (or so) since it's random. Your 20K DPS is actually 2K DPS, but even you know that characters do way more than the DPS value so in fact it's much less, I'll take you numbers and divide them by 10 and your 3% to 5% boost is actually .3% to .5%. And to top it all off it's only 5 stats instead of 6 because of the exp bounus so I'm sure the guys that are scrambling to be in the first 1000 to get to paragon 100 will use it instead of Leorics, but the rest of us will wait 2 weeks and buy something better off the AH for some gold.

And that's the point. People were excited about it, I was, the streamers were, everyone and the only way to get it was to do the new content. But now it's just a huge letdown. Let me put it to you another way. Who farms ACT IV? No one. Why? It's not worth it -- same goes for this. Why create new content that no one is excited about? I don't get it.
    Quote from Bodycount1

It's not a nerf when it hasn't even been released yet.

PTR items can be changed at any time. Until the patch is out, they can change anything they want. Just be happy they are letting us see the stats. I mean if they didn't let us see the stats and they did this change, we would never know and it still wouldn't be a nerf.

I agree and I suggest we call this theory, the Schrödinger's nerf ! We don't know if there is a nerf until we can see it !
    People generally are retarded when it comes to changes like this..

OOOHHH DONT NERF IT LOLZZ.... i want my 90000 milion dmg weapon to instant kill everything.. cuz its funn brah !

Yeah.... How would this NOT get nerfed? It's stupidly OP and gamebreaking. Were there ever any chance it WOULDNT get nerfed ? No.

I swear, some people on this forum are really dumb.
    Quote from MasterFischer

People generally are retarded when it comes to changes like this..

OOOHHH DONT NERF IT LOLZZ.... i want my 90000 milion dmg weapon to instant kill everything.. cuz its funn brah !

Yeah.... How would this NOT get nerfed? It's stupidly OP and gamebreaking. Were there ever any chance it WOULDNT get nerfed ? No.

I swear, some people on this forum are really dumb.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that it wasn't OP. it's just that they went from ridiculously OP to completely useless outside of the experience gain which some of us do not care about. How can there not be a comfortable medium between nuclear bomb damage and a little kid with a slingshot?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes