Theory on Monster power and item scale with monster level

Patch 1.0.5 notes revealed many interesting things, but especially 2 things I noticed.

1) Monster power
    2) Affixes on items will now roll their level based on the level of the monster killed (rather than the item’s level)

Now, Monster Power by itself is quite interesting, but not the "Affixes blablabla". That is because it seems like "What, even with monster power I can't go back to Act I?"

But, what if the system works like this.

Base level: 60
    Each act adds 1 level
    Each monster power adds 1 level, starting at monster power 2.
    This would mean monster power 3 in act I = monster power 1 in act III = Monster level 63.
    There would be no actual level increase (or maybe there would?) so armor etc wouldn't be needed in much higher lvls to survive, but a theoretical lvl (which would cause monsters to drop improved loot at higher lvls). Or even better: There would be a lvl increase with a cap of 63, so act I wouldn't always be preferred with 2 higher monster powers than act III.

I don't really have the math clear, but the concept is how I imagine blizzard putting it.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Personally, this is what I hope for because people could now farm other acts again (as long as monster power 10 would be an insane difficult even in act I) so we can have a bit different scenery ;)

Is there anything with this idea you like / don't like? Anything you would like to see different?
    well would be nice if someone simply checks the facts on the PTR

speculating doesnt help much at this point, though it seems sound and nice, i dont see any evidence for it working as you described. I just hope they have some system in place that makes farming the other acts viable as well compared to only act 3 as it is now.

Maybe all acts will be equally tough now and only monster power will dictate the toughness and level of the mobs, as well as how much xp they will give. Noone knows until someone checked it on the PTR or Blizzard makes this info public.
    Based on those translations from home page;
    • You will be able to set Monster Powers from 0 to 10 before the game starts,
    • It looks like we will need to set Monster Powers to level 2 or 3 to be at the same level that Inferno is at now,
    Monsters in Inferno will have base lvl 60, and each Monster Power level simply increase monster lvl up to 70. Setting it to 2 or 3 correspond with current monster lvl in act II and III, and we know Monster Power serves both for increase and decrease (0-1 setting) of current difficulty, so I think my assumption is valid. In fact, there is no easier solution to scale monster dmg and life, other than with monster lvl, and simplest explanations are usually right (due to Occam's Razor theory).
    Also, such solution enable possibility to farm any Act with any difficulty player like.
    Quote from Grigori

• It looks like we will need to set Monster Powers to level 2 or 3 to be at the same level that Inferno is at now,
    Monsters in Inferno will have base lvl 60, and each Monster Power level simply increase monster lvl up to 70. Setting it to 2 or 3 correspond with current monster lvl in act II and III, and we know Monster Power serves both for increase and decrease (0-1 setting) of current difficulty, so I think my assumption is valid. In fact, there is no easier solution to scale monster dmg and life, other than with monster lvl, and simplest explanations are usually right (due to Occam's Razor theory).
    Also, such solution enable possibility to farm any Act with any difficulty player like.

That would be good, as long as its theoretical lvls like I mentioned. If not, our armor and resistances will be diminished far too much I feel =/
    I dont like this at all. idea behind this is "ok" but I bet they have not thought about this on HC aspect.

And HC is only way to play this game, otherwise its just too damn boring,
    Yeah, it's definitely not clear how this monster power and item affixes turns out. My question is: If every item that drops rolls stats based on monster lvl, why use the iLvl system? it makes no sence. and what if an item drops from an event or chest?...
    All right i get the idea behind this: Affixes on items will now roll their level based on the level of the monster killed (rather than the item’s level)

But when they say "rather than the item's lvl" it still doesn't make any sence. If a monster is killad and it drops a rare iLvl 63, it means that the monster lvl is 63 right?.. no stop it.
    Deleted.

10characters.
    Quote from Grigori

I came to conclude from Grigorls theory that. "If you take player *10" inferno act1, you are doing the utmost end-game possible. Meaning that: you can get the best possible loot from even doing act1. No longer you need to grind only act3 in order to get best possible loot, but you can do every act available.
    Quote from Shanto94

Quote from Grigori

That would be good, as long as its theoretical lvls like I mentioned. If not, our armor and resistances will be diminished far too much I feel =/

No, it would not.
    Lets assume we have 700 all ress or 7k armor.
    With monsters lvl 60 we have 70% reduction, with 63 its 68.97% (currently in Act III), and with 70 it would be 66.67%.
    As you can see, it's not so much of a difference, and taking it together with scaled up dmg it would be perfect difficulty increase.

Quote from Mrmagicve

All right i get the idea behind this: Affixes on items will now roll their level based on the level of the monster killed (rather than the item’s level)

But when they say "rather than the item's lvl" it still doesn't make any sence. If a monster is killad and it drops a rare iLvl 63, it means that the monster lvl is 63 right?.. no stop it.

Affixes also have levels which you can't see in-game, and so far those where related to ilvl, and now will be to mlvl. This mean you can have item ilvl 62 with affixes rolls up to 63 if you get it from mlvl 63 mob. ilvl will basically serve just for base armor amount, durability, and for appearance purpose. Easy.
    Quote from Mrmagicve

They're not saying the iLvl of the item will change, but that its affixes will roll in a different range, that is the range of the monster killed, not the ILvl as it is now.

So an iLvl63 item can roll it's affixes like it was iLvl61, and a iLvl58 like it was a iLvl63 ... The only differences remaining being the base stats of the items.
    So yeah, i get the idea. But what is the point of the ilvl then? if only it's use is to determine lets say base dmg on a wep? The first thing i, and i think most of you too, check, is the ilvl of an item when it pops up in your inv. My point is, if the affixes, which is kinda THE most important things of a wep is bases on something different than iLvl. There is a reason for ilvl 63 being expensive if not ID'ed. but that will all change ine 1.05 when an item Ilvl 58 could easily be just as good.

Then. what is the point of showing iLvl on an item?
    There will probably still be a max amount of stats a certain i lvl can have.
    Non. It used to be important, but now it isn't. But why you even care for such minor detail, since it's overall change for better?
    Quote from Mrmagicve

So yeah, i get the idea. But what is the point of the ilvl then? if only it's use is to determine lets say base dmg on a wep? The first thing i, and i think most of you too, check, is the ilvl of an item when it pops up in your inv. My point is, if the affixes, which is kinda THE most important things of a wep is bases on something different than iLvl. There is a reason for ilvl 63 being expensive if not ID'ed. but that will all change ine 1.05 when an item Ilvl 58 could easily be just as good.

Then. what is the point of showing iLvl on an item?

This is probably the reason they are doing it. Everyone just ignores items that aren't iLevel 63. They want all loot to feel like it could be good, and to not have the players leave 90% of the loot on the ground.
    Maybe i haven't been clear. Yep! i like this change! and in fact i would say by every update this game is geting better and better! and now, it's nice not to just trash items with ilvl 60 and below. What i mean is, why (when they want the game to be as simple to understand as possible) they mess up with the ilvl and monster lvl. i''d say remove the iLvl, it doesn't matter and people easily get confused because it says nothing about the item. Remove the fact that it says "Item level: 62" (for example). that would make sense
    On a slightly different note: people have been speculating that since Act 1 has only level 61 mobs, and Act 2 only level 62, it wouldn't be possible to get top items there anymore - unless, as you theorize, the monster power setting increases monster level.

However, in D2, elites had higher level - iirc, it was +2 levels for blue elites, and +3 levels for named.

Do we know if D3 works the same way? If so, this change would just mean that only elites in Acts 1-2 could drop top items, not trash mobs.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes