Auction House madness

Is it just me or with patch 1.0.4 all AH prices have skyrocketed?

While I was leveling to 60 I usualy took a peek sometimes to high end items to see how much gold would I need to get some sweet equipment, but I'm seeing prices now of 500 mil gold, 700 mil gold, 1k mill gold and more for legendaries... How are we supposed even to get to that numbers? Is it cause all the gold farming bots? Because you can still find pretty decent weapons/armor (not legendary) for lower prices. Hell, I also bought a decent legendary quiver for 2 mil (it wasn't the dead man's, that bitch is expensive).

What opinion do you have on this matter? Do you think the economy is broken or is there a chance it could be healed again?
    People always overprice crap in hopes that someone actually has enough gold and desire to waste it all. When it doesn't sell, the prices will come down. 2H legendaries are dropping in price so damned fast, for example. Last week, everything (even bad rolls) was selling for over a million gold. Now it's down to a few hundred thousand. I'm glad I bought and sold before it crashed.
    Quote from Silmano

Is it just me or with patch 1.0.4 all AH prices have skyrocketed?

I don't see how prices could have rocketed. Even before 1.0.4 prices were already retardedly high for most things. So the economy has been broken for a long time. It won't be healed until people stop being catastrophic mental cripples which, sadly, won't be any time soon.

Even the hardcore AH is getting silly now whereas it was pretty good before.
    It's very simple, really. Supply and demand.

Before 1.04 I didn't play anymore. I just log every other day to repost the crap I got that never sold.

Came 1.04, the same crap that never sold got sold immediately. There is just a lot more people coming back to this game grinding away at those paragon lvl. Legendaries before were also crap and now they're godly. So ofc legendaries price skyrockets.
    Its not overpriced if someone buys it, regardless of what anyone elses opinion is.
    tbh, im taking it easy, because its limited how many will buy stuff at those prices, and lets admit it, if you dont sell something AWESOME, then its not because its not awesome, but because you posted a price ppl wont pay.

And for my part, atm i have 4 mill gold, so i aint buying anything simply because its laugable that a minor upgrade is 10 mill and all id gain would be 1% protection and 250 dps.

My 2 cent would be, farm content you can do without any hassle, just sell what you can, save up and let the retards that put up stuff at unrealistic prices do so and get their gear back after 2 days because they aint selling. Thing is very few ppl have 100 mill gold for 1 item, and the few that have, wont be buying stuff now but waiting for prices to equalize to a decent lvl.

For my part, im just gonna farm and have some fun lvling plvl's and if i do get a legendary, well .... you will most likely see it on AH for 2-3 mill and not 100k
    I don't agree with the OP that prices have skyrocketed across the board. Yes, well-rolled legendaries have gone up to insane prices, but not always. For example, I recently bought a well-rolled helm of command for about 500k. Want a stormshield with 30% block, high strength, high vitality, and near-perfect resist-all? Yeah, you're going to pay a lot, but that's to be expected given that 1.0.4 isn't very old yet and not that many have dropped. Give it time - supply will increase, demand will decrease, and prices will probably come down even taking into account the gold devaluation caused by paragon levels and increased gold-find.

One thing that has come way-down in price is low and mid-level ilvl 61-63 gear. Stuff that is not godly but perfectly acceptable for clearing all of inferno with even a tiny bit of skill and decent choice of skills. There are so many people farming inferno and finding this stuff now that the AH is overrun with all of it. If you look up one of these items you'll see many auctions with buyouts of 5, 10, 50 million, but you'll also see many in the 100-500k range, and it's at the lower end of this range that items actually sell.

ilvl 50-59 gear, however, has increased to crazy values. When I leveled my first character I bought very good gear in the 50-59 range for very cheap, but now that I'm leveling alts I find that this same quality gear would set me back millions of gold. I think it's because most people just vendor, salvage, or don't even pick up anything under ilvl 60 or 61. I actually make more gold selling 50-59 gear than I do 61+ gear.
    Well for the 50-59 zone i usually put decent stuff up for 5-10.000 gold, simply because then it will sell. On EU everything is way of scale and even the mid range gear is 20 mill in start price.

Would be interesting to see how many items actually sell for those many millions, because my guess would be its not alot of em. But again blizzard decided to involve real money in the mix, and in essence at that point the "game" because around AH and not what it what it should be about, the gameplay in D3.

I know several ppl that hardly play the game, they just play AH/RMAH. 1 hasnt even lvled beyond lvl 20 ...... and sold for millions.

I wish the Diablo legacy didnt end like this being a game about earning money and was an decent ARPG instead of the AHRPG it is now.
    Quote from MostlyH4rm

tbh, im taking it easy, because its limited how many will buy stuff at those prices, and lets admit it, if you dont sell something AWESOME, then its not because its not awesome, but because you posted a price ppl wont pay.

And for my part, atm i have 4 mill gold, so i aint buying anything simply because its laugable that a minor upgrade is 10 mill and all id gain would be 1% protection and 250 dps.

My 2 cent would be, farm content you can do without any hassle, just sell what you can, save up and let the retards that put up stuff at unrealistic prices do so and get their gear back after 2 days because they aint selling. Thing is very few ppl have 100 mill gold for 1 item, and the few that have, wont be buying stuff now but waiting for prices to equalize to a decent lvl.

For my part, im just gonna farm and have some fun lvling plvl's and if i do get a legendary, well .... you will most likely see it on AH for 2-3 mill and not 100k
    i agree fully with that statement,if the item is not awesome in stats etc then it will not sell,i to have limited gold since so far out of all my inferno runs the highest amount i evermade was like 3M....so if you ain't lucky with drops...then just forget about buying a nice item,10M or 500M,there is no way i can ever get the amounts of gold asked now and thats a shame and a bit frustrating tbh:(
    Quote from MostlyH4rm

I wish the Diablo legacy didnt end like this being a game about earning money and was an decent ARPG instead of the AHRPG it is now.

People in D2 definitely were not money motivated to bot, dupe, etc. right? People are so close-minded when they toss out terms like AHRPG when its predecessor was the same way, except it was an unprotected black market.
    the thing is, the stuff is selling for several millions. a few days ago I got a pretty badly rolled witching hour belt, without resistances/vita and just 100 int. it didnt take an hour and it was gone for 40 millions. another well rolled witching hour with 160 int and like 70 vita sold even for 100m.

and that's the main problem. there are enough people that pay such prices, even for not that great items like you see with the bad witching hour.
    I don't know which server you are on, but in the US AH prices are relatively sane. Most Legendaries and Sets can be bought for a few - 20m. Of course if you want perfect stat rolls, that's a different story...

You can't expect to get to 60 and be able to buy all the nice stuff... although some nice stuff is available, e.g. a few legendary weapons are already down to 150k. Weapons have come down a lot in price since the last patch, other rare gear I would say is stable or slightly down in price.
    Quote from Suiram25

the thing is, the stuff is selling for several millions. a few days ago I got a pretty badly rolled witching hour belt, without resistances/vita and just 100 int. it didnt take an hour and it was gone for 40 millions. another well rolled witching hour with 160 int and like 70 vita sold even for 100m.

and that's the main problem. there are enough people that pay such prices, even for not that great items like you see with the bad witching hour.

a 100 int Witching Hour is "a not that great item"? It's the only belt piece in game that gives significant boost in attack affix (cc damage and atk speed). I will totally buy a +100 dex version of witching hour for 60mil.

And the price of high-end gears are reasonable, 2 days after 1.0.4 hit, a 1300 dps Manticore with dex, 80+ cc damage and 2 open socket were sold for 2 BILLION gold in 2 hours. Or just use my friend who is extremly lucky as a perfect example, he sold a 990 dps Manticore with dex and 2 open socket for 140 mil and a 198 dex, 75 AR, 89 Vit new Natalya boot for 150 mil the day after.

PS. 3rd party trading website offers 1mil gold for ~$1.4, so that 1300 dps manticore was essencially sold for $2,800
    Im seeing the exact opposite OP. The prices dropped drastically. Except the good new legendaries with nice rolls, but they did not exist before, so obviously they'll be more expensive if they cant measure up to the items that were available before. GF gear is at 10% of pre-patch price, shitty MF gear 1/3, most mid tier items that one has no troubles to clear inferno with are affordable by any one who has been 60 for longer than 3 days. Crafting plans have never been cheaper and mats are at an extreme too.
    The fact that the price of gold is going up on RMAH means that there is not enough supply of gold to meet the enormous demand, and that people are willing to pay these prices. But it also means that prices in gold will go down slowly, as the gold itself is worth more, and that people who buy gold will turn to RMAH because prices there are usually lower than if they bought the required gold with RM. As the 15% GAH fee removes a lot of gold from the system this trend is self-empowering. Gold prices will rise while players destroy more gold (with the 15% GAH fee) than goldfarmers can produce. I expect this trend to end soon, as gold prices are getting so high that it's economically viable for people in poor countries, and it's inviting a lot of new goldfarmers to do their buisness totally legitimally, while player activity will drop down again after the patch.

Near perfectly rolled items will sell high in gold, much higher than RMAH cap equivalent (which is low), so you will always see insane numbers on top of GAH. The chance for those is infinitesimal, and there will be never enough to push prices down. But middle class gear, with ~60% rolls is already totally available and cheap (that's of course, relative, but the game is easy enough now, accessible for everyone). Everyone can gear up for every build he can imagine imo. I spent 100 mil after the patch, which is a lot, but nowhere near the top, and with that I laugh at every elite I meet in Act 3, and got max MF with swap, I farm gear at insane speeds, so I consider this game absolutely beaten.
    Prices for elite items are high... Yes. but I just listed a pair of gloves (comparable to ones I paid 5mil for pre-1.0.4) that took me through Inferno fairly well for 599k. If you want the BEST OF THE BEST yes... its fucking expensive. If you want GOOD gear that will get you through inferno, it's not that bad at all.

Just dont set your sites so high.
    Quote from Ameko

Quote from Suiram25

a 100 int Witching Hour is "a not that great item"? It's the only belt piece in game that gives significant boost in attack affix (cc damage and atk speed). I will totally buy a +100 dex version of witching hour for 60mil.

And the price of high-end gears are reasonable, 2 days after 1.0.4 hit, a 1300 dps Manticore with dex, 80+ cc damage and 2 open socket were sold for 2 BILLION gold in 2 hours. Or just use my friend who is extremly lucky as a perfect example, he sold a 990 dps Manticore with dex and 2 open socket for 140 mil and a 198 dex, 75 AR, 89 Vit new Natalya boot for 150 mil the day after.

PS. 3rd party trading website offers 1mil gold for ~$1.4, so that 1300 dps manticore was essencially sold for $2,800

I didn't say it's not a great item, but it is a pretty bad roll for a witching hour belt. infact, it was the worst in the whole eu ah. and a 100+ dex is a totally different story since it's even more rare than the 160 int one I got, so I'm totally in to pay 60m for that ;)
    Quote from m4st0d0n

The fact that the price of gold is going up on RMAH means that there is not enough supply of gold to meet the enormous demand, and that people are willing to pay these prices.

Yeah, I was very surprised when I went to check the gold price and it was close to $2 for 1mil... before the patch, you could effectively get gold for $0.85 or so by buying radiant star gems on the RMAH for $14-$15, and selling them for 16m-18m gold. In forums I think people were selling for $1.40-$1.50. So yeah, it's definitely going up.

I wonder where this is coming from. People coming back that left and sold their gear for $$? Ban of gold bots? Or just less players looking to cash out?
    I feel the prices have actually dropped a lot. A good 800-850+ weapon with good affixes used to be 5 mil +, you can get pretty good ones now for 200-500k ;) same can be said for the legendaries, which were really expensive day one because everyone wanted to try them out, their prices have dropped to reasonable amounts now (great rolled ones are really expensive though).

Quote from Holycrepe

Its not overpriced if someone buys it, regardless of what anyone elses opinion is.

You see dumb buyers everywhere that can't use the tools given to them to pay a much fairer price, and just want the item right naow. This isn't restricted to Diablo, it happens a lot in real life as well.

Items are overpriced in the sense they're not worth hundreds of hours of farming at a 300k gold/hour, and in the sense that someone could get multiple upgrades with the gold they're spending on one item.

They're priced like that because the only tool to measure item value is the AH, so if something doesn't have an equivalent on the AH, people will overprice it. And players will pay for it because they have no idea how to search for good deals (or maybe feel a bit lazy to do it).

Quote from Brake Failure

Prices for elite items are high... Yes. but I just listed a pair of gloves (comparable to ones I paid 5mil for pre-1.0.4) that took me through Inferno fairly well for 599k. If you want the BEST OF THE BEST yes... its fucking expensive. If you want GOOD gear that will get you through inferno, it's not that bad at all.

Just dont set your sites so high.

^ this. Because the best of the best will always have a ridiculously low offer and insanely high demand (everyone wants it).
    I list items for maybe 20% more than I would pay. If it doesn't sell then I mark it down. If you keep an eye on types of items you'll eventually catch them at a good price.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes