AH prices out of control

Quote from Zero(pS)

Quote from fadeddeath

Just an idea but I think it's time to put a stop to outrageous pricing on the gold AH. It's just out of hand. I've seen new legendary items up for 2 Billion gold. First of all, that won't sell because nobody that plays the game in a legit fashion could afford it. Second of all, the person that can afford it most likely doesn't need it. EPEEN is no excuse.

Now imagine, just for a second, that you got the most awesome legendary weapon dropped, and thought "fuck this shit, I'm pricing it at the moon". And then either a gold-farmer or someone who spend some dollars to get billions buy it. Holy crap, suddenly from day to night you're a freaking D3 billionaire and can buy whatever you want and equip as many characters as you want :P

If I looted something that simply isn't on the market right now (and has almost perfect rolls), I'd definitelly put an outragerous price on it. Sure, nobody will buy it, but if someone ever does, suddenly I'm very rich :D

You see, that kind of thinking is the very reason why I can't buy any decent gear. If I were to get a really good drop that I wouldn't use myself or hand off to a friend, I would list it depending upon it's worth, but cap it somewhere reasonable, like 20 million gold. If I used the RMAH, I wouldn't invest anymore than $20 on any given item, and even then, that is still a bit much considering they are digital items that have no existence outside of Diablo III.
    "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Friedrich Nietzsche
    Quote from Eldius

You see, that kind of thinking is the very reason why I can't buy any decent gear. If I were to find a really good drop that I wouldn't use myself or hand off to a friend, I would list it depending on price, but cap it somewhere reasonable, like 20 million gold. If I did the RMAH, I wouldn't invest anymore than $20 on any given item, and even then it is a bit much because they are digital items that have no existence outside of Diablo III.

That kind of thinking is the reason why you can't buy best of the best- it has nothing to do with landing decent gear. Saying you can't get decent because it's overpriced is such a farce. People are unhappy that they all can't have the BiS items without selling their souls. Tough. Capitalism isn't going anywhere.
    Quote from Doez

Quote from Eldius

You see, that kind of thinking is the very reason why I can't buy any decent gear. If I were to find a really good drop that I wouldn't use myself or hand off to a friend, I would list it depending on price, but cap it somewhere reasonable, like 20 million gold. If I did the RMAH, I wouldn't invest anymore than $20 on any given item, and even then it is a bit much because they are digital items that have no existence outside of Diablo III.

That kind of thinking is the reason why you can't buy best of the best- it has nothing to do with landing decent gear. Saying you can't get decent because it's overpriced is such a farce. People are unhappy that they all can't have the BiS items without selling their souls. Tough. Capitalism isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, look where capitalism has gotten our world. Most countries are in debt, and damn near everyone is a selfish git. I'm not talking about the top of tier 1, just good enough so I can kill smoothly, and not die as frequently as Kenny from South Park. Only way to get that kind of gear is to find it, because EVERYTHING is overpriced on BOTH auction houses.
    "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Friedrich Nietzsche
    The thing is no matter what we few do it will be like tossing a pebble in the ocean expecting the waves to stop...
    But i agree with you in earnest.
    Sometimes i look at some item similar to mine and see it listed for 20-40 mil or something... then I evaluate how much I would really like to buy something like it for and set it for much less, for the said example something like 4-8 mil.
    It sells very quickly...

I have no way of knowing the guy that listed for 20 sold or not (well maybe I do but it is not like ill set an alarm clock just to check that stuff), but i stand pretty satisfied I got my gold and someone got an item that he will brag for having bought for cheap on the AH.

The sad side of my story is that I myself just dont find deals like this for myself...SO if i need to upgrade I pretty much just wait til my bank allows me to dump 40-50 mil for a single piece...
    Quote from fadeddeath

The average player may go to the auction house after saving up gold and buy a new weapon for 10-15 Million because it increases DPS by 2000

Then I am below average, I cant afford 10 million things.. Make it a 2 million even, then MAYBE!

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from fadeddeath

There is nothing wrong with dropping 10m on a weapon. 10-15m for something like that is reasonable. What I am saying is that people listing things for 100m is ruining the AH economy. I added more to my post based on some replies that explains this a little better. Sorry if there was some confusion.

No, sorry, it doesn't ruin the economy - it is the economy. What it does ruin is your fantasy ideal of getting items, of which the rarity is akin to winning the lottery, for a pittance of their real potential value, simply because you think being spoon-fed everything is fun. Sorry, that isn't how it works here, or anywhere else. You play, you earn gold, you buy stuff. Rinse and repeat, climbing the gear ladder. This game isn't supposed to be "lol give me the best gear for 27 gold so I can let my cat play during the day it's so easy." You're supposed to grind for months, even years, to obtain the best. Stop trying to cut to the front of the line on someone else's dime.

Quote from Eldius

Yeah, look where capitalism has gotten our world. Most countries are in debt, and damn near everyone is a selfish git. I'm not talking about the top of tier 1, just good enough so I can kill smoothly, and not die as frequently as Kenny from South Park. Only way to get that kind of gear is to find it, because EVERYTHING is overpriced on BOTH auction houses.

Absolutely EVERYTHING, no hyperbole there. Every. Last. Item. Overpriced. I mean, no one can afford anything. That weapon I sold last week for 50 million? Blizzard bought it to give the idea that items were actually moving. It's really a huge scheme to keep us playing longer, really. Make stuff so expensive we have no choice but to play forever!

No, see, most people are in debt ironically because of attitudes like yours. Everything is too expensive, I can't afford it, but I want it anyway. So I'll take out a huge loan, which I also cannot afford, to buy something I don't really need, but feel is necessary because someone else has it.

Funny how that works, isn't it?
    Quote from Eldius

My point is what you are saying is completely untrue. You don't need hundreds of million of gold and hundreds of millions worth of gear to be able to comfortably farm act 3. You can buy gear with lots of resists and good stats for extremely low prices if you have bad luck farming. You don't need 4pc set bonuses and 1100+ dmg weapons to farm. People bitch at me all the time by profile browsing because I run Act 3 effortlessly with like 250 resists and mediocre gear on my barb. Compared to a lot of players, my gear is horrid, but my clearing time is just as fast.
    The reason the world is fucked = people.

And moving swiftly on, do not expect to be spoonfed greatness and please do not post your shit items for huge amounts.
    Quote from Doez

Quote from Eldius

My point is what you are saying is completely untrue. You don't need hundreds of million of gold and hundreds of millions worth of gear to be able to comfortably farm act 3. You can buy gear with lots of resists and good stats for extremely low prices if you have bad luck farming. You don't need 4pc set bonuses and 1100+ dmg weapons to farm. People bitch at me all the time by profile browsing because I run Act 3 effortlessly with like 250 resists and mediocre gear on my barb. Compared to a lot of players, my gear is horrid, but my clearing time is just as fast.

Spending a few days to win gear through bids in an effort to maximum your currency's worth? Clearly you jest. What do you think this is, an exercise in real world principles and spending habits? Pffft, I want my gear and I want it now!

/sarcasm
    Quote from Doez

Quote from Eldius

So true. I can comfortably farm all acts and Whimsy on Inferno and have not spent more than 1.5m on anything I got from the AH. I enjoy finding my own gear but sometimes you get stuck and frustrated on a different character. I sell most of the gear I find at much lower prices so they sell fast and can afford that 100m weapon if I really wanted it but I refuse to buy it at that price because it just justifies that price and adds to the problem.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

Quote from fadeddeath

Just an idea but I think it's time to put a stop to outrageous pricing on the gold AH. It's just out of hand. I've seen new legendary items up for 2 Billion gold. First of all, that won't sell because nobody that plays the game in a legit fashion could afford it. Second of all, the person that can afford it most likely doesn't need it. EPEEN is no excuse.

Now imagine, just for a second, that you got the most awesome legendary weapon dropped, and thought "fuck this shit, I'm pricing it at the moon". And then either a gold-farmer or someone who spend some dollars to get billions buy it. Holy crap, suddenly from day to night you're a freaking D3 billionaire and can buy whatever you want and equip as many characters as you want :P

If I looted something that simply isn't on the market right now (and has almost perfect rolls), I'd definitelly put an outragerous price on it. Sure, nobody will buy it, but if someone ever does, suddenly I'm very rich :D

I found a really nicely-rolled Andariel's Visage (dex) last night. I can say for certain that it's eating away at me as to what I should do with it. $250? Maybe 500 million? If I could get some poor asshole to fork over 2 billion gold for it, though, I sure would.
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    AH prices are not out of control. You don't need 100m to buy gear that clears inferno (though having 20m+ is probably a good idea), and for sure you don't need gear for 100m a piece to farm inferno.

Some people list items at 2 billion. Do they sell? I don't know, probably not in most cases. People are not stupid, if something doesn't sell, most will realize that they have to lower the price. Now with the new cancel function one can react much faster, and the market price of items will adjust faster to supply and demand.

Look at the prices for the new sets and legendaries. The first day everything was priced at 500m++, now prices for items that don't have great rolls have come down (some stuff is available for a few millions), while items that are more in demand have stabilized at higher prices.

Weapon prices are on a downward spiral thanks to the new Legendaries and due to ilvl 61 and 62 being able to roll high damage affixes.

Finally, high prices for some items does not mean that people are just listing them too high. It just signals a supply that doesn't meet the demand. It is not good when that happens at gear levels below what is required to progress in Inferno, but this is not the case anymore, with the nerfs from the last patch and the improved gear quality. So I really don't see a problem!
    My monk Vin
    The amount of economic ignorance in this thread is staggering.

The "correct" price for an item- in the real world or in Diablo 3- is no more and no less than what it will sell for.
    Prices are set by the natural state of the market and no amount of whining will change that.
    Honestly, if you're buying any new legendary at this point (unless you know it to be worth what you are spending in the long run) you are making a mistake. Even beyond that, I'm not buying squat from the AH for at least a couple of weeks. Big inferno nerf + better drops + new legendaries == lower prices for mid to mid-top gear very soon.
    Quote from fadeddeath

Quote from DeepThought

Sounds great, BUT the problem runs much deeper than the effect the visitors of Diablofans could have, I think.

Only 116 people took part in the Boston Tea Party.

so we only need 116 people to hack blizzard servers and remove all these items. your analogy was stupid. rofl. I couldnt help be complete it for u
    Quote from agadabagada

Quote from fadeddeath

Quote from DeepThought

Sounds great, BUT the problem runs much deeper than the effect the visitors of Diablofans could have, I think.

so we only need 116 people to hack blizzard servers and remove all these items. your analogy was stupid. rofl. I couldnt help be complete it for u

No, you just don't get it. If 116 people could have such a large impact on society then a small group of people could also have a large impact on the economy of a game.
    Quote from thundersteele

AH prices are not out of control. You don't need 100m to buy gear that clears inferno (though having 20m+ is probably a good idea), and for sure you don't need gear for 100m a piece to farm inferno.

I never said you needed to spend 100m+ to clear inferno.
    Honestly this is nothing new when new content comes out. In time the prices will come down.
    Quote from fadeddeath

Quote from agadabagada

Quote from fadeddeath

Quote from DeepThought

No, you just don't get it. If 116 people could have such a large impact on society then a small group of people could also have a large impact on the economy of a game.

Yeah, except people tend to get a bit more riled up about tyranny and being taxed to death than they do about a virtual economy within a video game. Shocker, I know. Also, the Boston Tea Party was only a catalyst; it took hundreds of thousands of deaths to win the war. Important tidbit you seem to have missed. Silly analogy, makes no sense.
    I have an item that 500,000 people want.
    I put it up for a price that 490,000 people will pay.
    The item sells.

I have an item that 500,000 people want.
    I put it up for a price that 490,000 people won't pay.
    The item sells.

I'm not saying that everything sells, but a lot of things do sell, sometimes only for the reason to resell later. Either way, convincing someone with an item with incredible demand that they have to lower their prices because 98% of buyers won't pay that price doesn't won't really do much. If you want a private jet, you'll have to pay for a private jet...

Also suggesting that a weapon with a crit affix and an extra socket shouldn't far more expensive is to not recognize what those stats do.
    "Anything I say can't, and won't be used against me because if they understood my point, they'd have given up theirs." -Christopher Hitchens
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes