This thread was automatically marked as Locked.

The [Non-Constructive/Conspiratorial] Rant Posts: What do you think?

Poll: What do you think about the non-constructive rant threads?

Non-constructive Rants and the Community

What do you think about the non-constructive rant threads? - Single Choice

• I can't stand to read these forums anymore. 21.6%
  • They are not neessary or healthy for the community. 59.8%
  • They are necessary and healthy for the community. 18.6%
    I'll take care of those, dunno why that still isn't working correctly, should have been fixed.
    Quote from Daemaro

Honestly though if we just left a note on edited posts saying "Infracted for trolling." etc that wouldn't do a ton of good.

What I HAVE been pushing for and I think may have just been a oversight was changing a users title to "Banned" or "Suspended" when they receive one. Transparency is important to ensure people we are doing something but I'm not convinced that we need to go as far as to unhide removed posts.

I have edited out all but 2 lines. First you say you don't think it would do a ton of good to do the edit thing. Then you say you have been pushing for a suspended/banned title. So.... What is the difference between publicly outing someone as being banned or suspended and editing posts stating they were infracted? Because quite frankly i see no difference at all.
    Because a removed post doesn't always mean a infraction. Sometimes it's 90% harmless rambling but its off-topic to the thread so we remove it. It looks trashy to have a ton of deleted posts sitting around. Other times it's two people who got infractions but it's like a page of posts removed.

Showing when someone is suspended or banned just lets people know that we do take action against people who cause constant disruption, if you remember VladDracul or Adon, or a handful of others they ended up permanently banned and people just thought we were doing nothing. So changing their avatar/title to banned would let people know without people needing to scroll passed a bunch of removed posts.

Infractions are also a lot less of a big deal when it's one or two. Mistakes are made. When you hit four infractions and your first suspension kicks in though, yeah I'd say that's a little more reason to be ashamed. It also just keeps people from wondering what happened to someone or why they aren't responding while they're banned. There are lots of differences.

It's pretty much a consensus between all of the staff here, on other curse sites, and the php team, who would switch the removed posts to viewable if asked, that this is a better way for us to do things. I've never seen anyone else complain about it so it's not likely to change.

Anyways this subject is off-topic, the topic is about how people feel about the rant posts, and my question was how do people want to see them handled, now we're just talking about forum features, so if you really want to continue please just PM me instead.
    Quote from Daemaro

Because a removed post doesn't always mean a infraction. Sometimes it's 90% harmless rambling but its off-topic to the thread so we remove it. It looks trashy to have a ton of deleted posts sitting around. Other times it's two people who got infractions but it's like a page of posts removed.

Showing when someone is suspended or banned just lets people know that we do take action against people who cause constant disruption, if you remember VladDracul or Adon, or a handful of others they ended up permanently banned and people just thought we were doing nothing. So changing their avatar/title to banned would let people know without people needing to scroll passed a bunch of removed posts.

Infractions are also a lot less of a big deal when it's one or two. Mistakes are made. When you hit four infractions and your first suspension kicks in though, yeah I'd say that's a little more reason to be ashamed. It also just keeps people from wondering what happened to someone or why they aren't responding while they're banned. There are lots of differences.

It's pretty much a consensus between all of the staff here, on other curse sites, and the php team, who would switch the removed posts to viewable if asked, that this is a better way for us to do things. I've never seen anyone else complain about it so it's not likely to change.

Anyways this subject is off-topic, the topic is about how people feel about the rant posts, and my question was how do people want to see them handled, now we're just talking about forum features, so if you really want to continue please just PM me instead.

How is this subject off topic? You wanna know how I feel about rant posts and how we think they should be handled. What part of any of my posts in this entire thread is off topic according to that? But w/e. I know when I am pounding my head into a concrete wall. There is just no point to bother with it any further. You don't understand the reasoning behind my suggestion at all and you do not care to even think about it because you are stuck on your tried and failed method of delete delete delete. Not meaning any disrespect, but it is painfully obvious that it does not work now nor has it worked in the past. All I can say is, "I tried".
    It works very well here and on many other sites. Thanks for the concern though.
    Quote from Daemaro

I'll take care of those, dunno why that still isn't working correctly, should have been fixed.

Thanks!
    Quote from Daemaro

If it worked as well as you think it does then this thread probably never would have existed. :)
    Quote from phoulmouth

Quote from Daemaro

If it worked as well as you think it does then this thread probably never would have existed. :)

Or it works fine I just decided to involve the community more, because moderation is done for the community's happiness, which you've made me regret single handedly. You've made your opinion known, I've told you it's really unlikely to happen. There's no reason to keep discussing it in this thread.

Anything else PM me about, not going to allow this to spam up the thread more than it has.
    How is an on topic conversation in a thread spamming it up? Plus you say "you just decided to include the community more"? Are you Prolateria? I am pretty sure Prolateria made this thread.

Either way, I am done with this thread. I gave my opinion, which was mercilessly attacked and shot down with no real argument against it even though you then said you wanted to do something that is almost the same thing as my suggestion, giving people a suspended/banned title, but I guess that title isn't public or something. Something you still have not replied about in order to tell me what the difference between the 2 is.
    While I share many of your frustration phoul, moderating isn't an easy job and it more often thankless. I think we should be giving Dae and everyone else on the staff the benefit of the doubt here. My communication with the mods has been entirely positive and I don't think anyone's suggestions were dismissed out of hand.

They got the feedback we needed them to get out of this thread and I hope that it has helped. Turning it over to private messages at this point would be the right thing to do.
    Closed at the request of the topic creator. I think I've got enough information to satisfy my curiosity and Ii guess proletaria got the answers he was looking for as well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes