"Why Diablo 3 is Broken"

Quote from Zergie

People will just zerg in and go the article writer is a hater etc...

But there's so many people who feel like this... D3 is a great engine, but a very, very average game, with a very low difficulty.

Succeeded solely on the shoulders of D2, next patch will make finding a legendary much better, will wait to see if we feel the same way though re: gameplay.

Seems too early to judge, but so far, it hasn't been great for the majority of players it seems.

So your going to produce a source of 5+ MILLION displeased fans?

I'll wait, go ahead. (I have yet to see more then a few thousand anywhere.)
    Quote from Slayerviper

Quote from Sandgnome

Shrug, I'd have at least a handful 99's with 500+ hours spent. Semantics, are you really trying to refute that you'd have made a lot more progress in 500 hours of d2 compared to d3? I've found plenty items for my alts, but it's the same with them: Spend a few mill gold and you can reasonably clear through inferno if that's what you want, then it's back to pimping one character. It's rather pointless to gear up an alt unless you intend to do something specific with it and at that point it's the exact same as gearing a main character: You need the AH.

I fail to see how fixing non used skills is at any point going to fix anything but build diversity. Build diversity is not going to do anything to the difficulty of the game (which they ARE nerfing, so there's that) nor the quality of the loot you find. Notice that while they are buffing across the board, they are buffing so non-used skills are _just_ as good as the "good" skills now, which means across the board the only change in difficulty will be whatever they do to HP etc dmg is only going to go up for currently unused specs.

I couldn't tell you I didn't have a way to track the hours I dumped into D2 and I didn't know of Xfire at the time. I would guess it would take at least 100 hours to create an half assed MF char with 0 help. I do remember it taking a full day of game play just to go up one or two levels past 85 so not sure how you got multiple 99's in the same time without botting.

If we get back to my first post I stated that this game has shitty end game (compared to D2) so discussing what to do with alts and mains is irrelevant right now. Nothing but gear "hunt" gets old I get it.

If you don't think using a different build to clear inferno has any value over using your current build I'm not sure what you did in D2. The point in D2 was to try new builds and play whatever builds (char) you felt like that day; this will at least be possible in D3 now (hopefully).

full day of 24 hours to 85, let's say another 24 hours to get to 99, that's 48 hours, that's 10 99's in 500 hours and a level ~71. Whatever.

I never said anything about the item hunt getting old, I'm fine with farming items all day. I like that. I do not like the quality of drops.

I never said clearing inferno with different builds had no value, I'm saying that value is cheap. You can clear inferno with any class for less than 10 million gold. If you, however, want to be efficient at farming, you need specific gear, if you need specific gear you need to find it... on the AH. That's the point.
    Diablo 3 was, and is awesome until u hit lvl 60 and got half decent gear. And why? because everything is the same, you are hunting for stats, not items. there is no excitement in diablo 3. I remember, my friends and me played together all the way up to 60 and into inferno, that was awesome coop-play, after that 1 by 1 left slowly the game, we got bored.
    auctionhouse also destroyed interaction between players
    why we dont we have a lobby?
    why i cant open a game like: wardenruns_002 come join!
    :(
    Hey look, more QQ! Sad thing is that I can say with near 100% certainty that the writer of that article and everyone who is whining in this thread have no real intentions to stop playing D3.

Why is D3 broken? Its not, end of story. People keep crying about farming items and not dropping their own loot. People keep crying about the AH. People keep crying because they suck and can't progress. Too bad. You had to farm loot in D2 to trade to get stuff you needed. D2 didn't have Inferno difficulty, hell D2 barely had a hell difficulty. If not for the AH people would be whining like bitches because they would have to stalk trade channels for hours on end to trade for gear.

NOTHING Blizzard will do with this game will make the vocal minority happy until they make the game faceroll like D1 and D2 and increase drop rates to the point of the AH and trading being useless. Too many people are spoiled rotten little brats and don't feel the need to be a good player or to put an effort into progression and becoming a better player. That's what the issue is. If there is something about D3 that is broken it is the shitty attitude this community of players has, not the game.
    Quote from Sandgnome

In D2 you may not find upgrades for your self if you bought a lot of gear via 3rd party sites or similar - which you are implying is the same as the AH - but you would most definately find upgrades for your friends or your not so strong geared characters or different builds.

You just invalidated your entire argument with this single statement. This is exactly what's happening right now, too.

You know why D2 seems "easier"? Because it was. It was brainless to kill even the hardest enemies, and you knew and item was good because it was a rusty brown color when it dropped. Now that everything is yellow and you have to actually think about what's good? All of a sudden things are too hard.
    Quote from egg3rs

in my around 1k hours in d2 (and that's being modest most likely) i found 2 soj's, a handfull of zod runes, easily a dozen ik soul cages, tal rasha's ammy's, tyraels mights etc. The good stuff DOES drop, and it seems much more often than in d3, if only for the reason that a MUCH larger percentage of the items you find are useable. I think my biggest problem with the auction house is the lack of personal interaction that comes with it. D2's community was talkative, vibrant, and always looking to trade, even when you didn't have the top 1% of the most desired stats rolled on your gear. This social aspect is SORELY missing from diablo 3, and the chat channels are a poor attempt to make up for it. Sadly, since everyone can just list their best finds annonomously on the auction house, the trade channel is usually reserved for scammers and flame wars, or just outright riddled with trolls. Either way, id love to see some more "social" aspects to this game to hopefully breathe some new life into it.

RNG is a bitch, I never found a Zod, and I have found some of the other top end rares but in some cases only once. The point is you don’t find them often and people seem to get the idea that finding top end gear is supposed to be “un-common”. I agree that community is gone since Battle net 2.0 I do miss the "old days" but what interaction I've had with many people in the community these days leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. The people I add to friends are people I meet on fan sites.

Quote from Sandgnome

full day of 24 hours to 85, let's say another 24 hours to get to 99, that's 48 hours, that's 10 99's in 500 hours and a level ~71. Whatever.

I never said anything about the item hunt getting old, I'm fine with farming items all day. I like that. I do not like the quality of drops.

I never said clearing inferno with different builds had no value, I'm saying that value is cheap. You can clear inferno with any class for less than 10 million gold. If you, however, want to be efficient at farming, you need specific gear, if you need specific gear you need to find it... on the AH. That's the point.

In either case we both have a huge perspective on what leveling was like so no point bothering to comment on this anymore.

The issue is most people want more than just the item hunt. I'm content with it but something else would be nice PvP perhaps (future patch that should have been on release)

Clear with any class using one or two builds or clear with any class using five to six builds... I'd pick the latter. I've found tons of GF/MF gear with at least 1 high roll on a damaging stat, it might not have RA but it’s not required unless you’re in act 3. This basically goes back to each other’s perspectives, finding good MF gear in D2 just didn't drop on a whim, you could create a poor man’s mf set with what you found or trade your way up and get a faceroll mf set quite easy. Anyways I think I'll just stop here were just going to rehash our difference perspective over and over.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy the game; I hope future patches fix that for you.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    SPOILER: WARNING: DANGER WILL ROBINSON:

If you buy so much gear that you're sitting there at 800+ all res, 2000 LOH, 40% crit and 300% crit damage, guess what? You probably won't ever find an upgrade. It's statistically unlikely to ever get drops as good as the great items you see on the AH. As of this time I've seen ONE item over 1k DPS drop, a blue 2 hander. The millions of people playing plus the AH makes for a gear filter. Only the best stuff gets on there.

Here's a hint: if you don't buy so much gear, you will find upgrades. I mainly farm inferno act 1 on my wizard while I level each other class to 60. Once everyone's at 60 I constantly find items on my wizard and say "Wow! That's great for my fresh 60 monk!"

People constantly underestimate how hard it was to farm Hell in D2 on a fresh character, especially pre-LOD. Look at the proportion of people farming Inferno D3 and compare that to D2's playerbase farming Hell this far into release and I am willing to bet a lot more people are in Inferno.

You do NOT need to buy any gear to get to Inferno. My first character a wizard I did run into a brick wall first on Rakanoth and then Diablo in Hell, but I overcame them eventually. Act 1 Inferno is not much harder than Hell A4, at least not the start. I was still using Leoric's Crown that I found in normal Act 3 when I got to Inferno... I definitely found an upgrade pretty quick.

Conclusion:
    If your goal playing this game was to find items and have fun doing so, why did you buy gear on the AH?

Take responsibility for your actions. Want to have fun finding items again? Go to the AH and buy gear for every slot with a max price of 4-5k gold. Hell you might have to bump it down to 3k. Force yourself to play with this gear and find upgrades on your own.
    Math not so strong with you? By your own numbers, 85 took a day of playing, I set that high at 24 hours. It's fair to assume you could get the remaining levels in the same amount of time which results in what is more than the assumed 5+ I originally stated.

The inability to comprehend is staggering... I enjoy the game, I do. I like the mechanics I like the classes, I'm thrilled they are going to up diversity. I have some crazy builds; a pet WD with max thorns and life regen gear. I have a monk in 500+ million gear and I cleared inferno within the first 3 weeks of the game, among the first to 60 and in inferno.

I have no intention to quit, the game looks to be improving, but there is a big difference between what's getting fixed and what is not. The original article brings to light a very big part of the problem with the game as it is, and so far there's been no indication that it's going to be fixed/changed/improved.

Challenge my skill all you want, but it's just too simple minded to assume you can't have issues with the game if you're a good player.

Not using the AH to find your own upgrades is such a stupid challenge to put unto your self. It's not about finding upgrades, it's about finding quality upgrades. Even in 500+ million gear I have many pieces that are far from potential. It's not fun not finding good items. Even if you do this preposterous attempt to create excitement, you will eventually run into the wall again and will be too frustrated to continue or go to the AH.
    It would seem like many people here are missing the main point. The banter will continue to go back and forth until either we can except the fact that A) Blizzard doesnt care what we think. B) Might care but the chance of them reading this is slim to none OR C) Is trying to maximize the bang for the buck factor by only fixing things a little bit at a time hoping for longevity by doing this.

There seems to be a 2 types of people in this chat D2.5fans and diablWoW fans, in both cases there have been some good points made but going back and forth about it is pointless unless we could get the blue team to participate in the conversation.

To be clear I am a D2.5 fan, b/c clearly i feel the hate when I talk about being disappointed that blizzard left off most of the good stuff in D3 from D2.
    They didn't exactly leave it in D2, it just doesn't work as well or at all in D3.
    The people that are complaining are those that never traded in Diablo 2. It's simple as that.

Diablo 2 pre-LoD was fairly easy throughout most of the game with the only really difficult part being the Chaos Sanctuary. Luckily the game was so bugged and had so many broken builds that farming the River of Flame was fairly trivial with every class. That is because skills had static damage and gear had a relative small impact on the damage you could pump out. You could literally finish the game with a naked character. Any build actually using gear for damage (tweaker sorc being prime example) got nerfed. What gear mostly did was make your margin for error larger because you'd get more vitality or resistances.

Diablo 3 takes a different approach, where your gear, moreso than your level, determines your DPS. Levels are a fairly worthless concept in Diablo 3, which is really the core of the "problem", because trading is almost required to progress to the later acts in Hell and Inferno.

That said, it's a myth you would be farming for items in Diablo 2 classic. Because simply, you didn't. Sure, you'd grab those Tarnhelms, Magefists and Frostburns and prayed that yellow Executioner's Sword rolled Merciless and Esvisceration but in the end you were picking up those 30k vendor items until you were at the goldcap. You'd then go to Gheed in act 2 with a Nagelring and a Manald Heal in your inventory, and started gambling rings. 1 in 30 would be a Stone of Jordan and that turned out to be our currency for years. You then took those Stones to the trading channel or a trading forum and traded those for that really awesome rare, or a better roll on your Tarnhelm.

People *loved* this game. The forums were vibrant, the self-created SoJ economy worked and everybody could get involved because farming SoJs wasn't RNG-based but just something that took time. One for every 30 gambles, and with rings costing -I believe- 46k to gamble, that's one for every 1.5mil gold. So even crappy characters with crappy gear could farm the River of Flame, get some gold and gamble stones, that they then took to the market.

The LoD came in. What LoD did, was basically take two complaints of the community and fix them:

1) Sets and (most) Legendaries are only useful for twinks
    2) Bosses drop crap loot

What followed was amazing items like Harle Crest, War Travelers, Oculus etc. etc. etc and Mephisto dropping them like candy. So what happened is everyone rolled a sorceress so they could port around Durance 2 and spent hours upon hours creating games and killing Mephisto over and over again. Sure, he dropped a ton of stuff and it wasn't too hard to complete full low-end item and get hold of the generic MF-set items, but the real money items remained elusive.

As a result, trading basically died out during that period. Blizz had made sure to kill the Stone of Jordan economy and because every useful signature item was either trivial or close to impossible to acquire, there wasn't much need for trading. Rares almost phased out because Mephisto dropped uniques and set items that were significantly better and runewords at the time were quite shitty so nobody really paid attention to runes and just stashed them as they dropped.

I suppose for non-traders this was the high point of Diablo 2, although for the long term it sucked balls. It was certainly the best periode to be a solo-player in.

Then ladder seasons comes in and with it, new and amazing runewords. The community finds their new Stone of Jordan in the IST rune and trading picks back up. Blizzard also restructures the game, so that farming Mephisto is still useful, but makes sure that many unused area's of the game are desirable to farm by making certain maps drop higher quality loot, the same philosophy they have implemented in Diablo 3 - we are SUPPOSED to farm the whole game and not the same damn map over and over again.

To acquire the best gear in Diablo 2, you HAD to trade. You HAD to farm, trade whatever you farmed for IST runes and then trade those IST runes for whatever you needed. You couldn't (realistically) farm Enigma all by yourself. You couldn't (realistically) complete a full IK set all by yourself. You found some bits and pieces here and there and traded.

Now, replace IST run with GOLD and you have Diablo 3. The only difference is that the gear is actually required to farm higher acts, unlike in Diablo 2 where you could farm Mephisto basically with whatever you wanted and your gear upgardes would be certain fixed legendary/set items with more MF.

So if your complaint is "waah waah I want to roll with the big boys in Inferno, but I don't want to trade and I don't want to spend time farming lower difficulties either" then say so. Don't wrap it up in story about how the AH ruins the game, because all it does is make trading easier and protect people using this means of trading from scams.
    The story is completely correct about the AH being a problem, but it is far from the only problem. I played for the first time in over a month and couldn't even stay interested for 30 minutes. I don't think I will ever log in or visit this site again. Time to move on.
    We're not exactly farming different "areas" of the game. Instead of just mephisto, it's just act3. Sure most people still do act1 but it's not much different, if you've played enough the "random" areas don't feel random at all and many are very exact or predictable.

You HAVE to farm now, no one has a problem with that, or at least they should not. Farming is fine, it's the reward for farming that is the issue. No one is finding good upgrades for them selves, and if they do, in most cases it's better to sell it and buy several other pieces for a larger overall upgrade. C'mon now, anyone reading at all?
    Quote from DerfOnTurf

I don't think I will ever log in or visit this site again. Time to move on.

I welcome this sentiment. I hope more people who've got it out for D3 take this route and stop polluting the forums.
    the game is not broken, it is working exactly how it was designed to. allowing chinese farmers to bot and forcing you guys to buy upgrades through RMAH. genius, if you ask me.
    I have to agree with those that say the AH is NOT a problem. I enjoy the convenience of the AH rather than sitting in a chat channel all day or visiting a third party site that may be unsecure.

Now, as for the number of upgrades (or quality items in general) I find for the amount of time I put in.... :)
    The problem is: Diablo 3 is a Auction-House simulator and no video-game. its just the most boring thing in history! The only thing you can do is farm crappy items until you got the money to buy a semi-good item.

terrible terrible game!
    Quote from haXudon

the game is not broken, it is working exactly how it was designed to. allowing chinese farmers to bot and forcing you guys to buy upgrades through RMAH. genius, if you ask me.

I have not used the RMAH myself for upgrades. From the research I have done for upgrades on all my toons all the best items still can be found of the GAH. In my case all the gear on my toons is a such that I am not going to spend real money for something that is a very slight upgrade.

No one is finding good upgrades for them selves, and if they do, in most cases it's better to sell it and buy several other pieces for a larger overall upgrade. C'mon now, anyone reading at all?

Yes, yes, we're reading.

Except that it's exactly the same as in D2, unless you refused to trade.
    Quote from DerfOnTurf

The story is completely correct about the AH being a problem, but it is far from the only problem. I played for the first time in over a month and couldn't even stay interested for 30 minutes. I don't think I will ever log in or visit this site again. Time to move on.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes