How we are supposed to overcome Reflects damage?

Im having troubles with my DH against packs with this affix, but not at all on my barb :)
    Reflect damage in Softcore is only an occasional nuissance if you know how to deal with it.

First, every build should have a means to combat Reflect, because by the time you get to Act 2 or Act 3, there are tons of Reflect bosses.

Demon Hunter -- You have three alternatives. First, Gloom lasts for 3 seconds and has 20% life leech. This is enough, even with Reflect damage, for you to significantly regain life. Second, you can use Smokescreen -- you don't take damage when you are in SS, but it lasts for only 1.5 seconds (with Lingering Fog). With either of these skills, you can use the high damage dps attacks (such as Cluster Arrow, Spike Trap, or Impale) safely. Third, if you must use a spammable attack, Nether Tentacles, has built-in life leech and is pretty safe.

Wizard -- Diamond Skin is your friend. With Diamond Skin, you can even use Archon. Stick to direct damage rather than damage over time, as as you can't turn it off Blizzard or Hydra once cast. Once your Diamond Skin expires and you've consumed your pots, resort to a low DPS attack as you wait for CDs.

Barbarian -- Reflect damage isn't really a problem for tank barbarians. Revenge, Rend, and damage mitigation make reflect an easy one to deal with. Almost every tank barb has Life on Hit to a significant degree, and this neutralizes any Reflect damage. Tanks would far prefer Reflect to Shielding, Invulnerable, Nightmarish.
    For Sprint/Tornado/WW barbs, as long as you have Life On Hit, you're fine.

Monks -- I don't know of any monks with problems with Reflect. Most monks have relatively low DPS (25k would be high), humongous resists (1000 would be low), and awesome LoH, usually on both fists. As long as a monk has a target they can hit (ie not shield or invulnerable) it's very hard to kill them.
    Witch Doctor -- I'm sorry; this is the only class I haven't played to any significant degree, so I can't help.

Any Class -- If you have a weapon with some life leech -- even 2% -- reflect becomes much, much easier to deal with. In fact, as your DPS increases, that life leech becomes extremely useful in every case. That's not to say that you must have a life leech weapon: however, just know that it's a valuable affix in the end-game.

Now, in response to those who say that you CANNOT have high DPS attacks on Reflect: you are wrong. I usually play my 80k/145k dps DH (with/without ShS) and I crit with cluster arrows for boatloads of damage. With Gloom, a 400k hit cluster (common) will on a reflect pack will actually fill most of my health orb from empty.

What I do: I use spike trap and cluster arrow while under gloom. Usually, I can get a scatter set of spike traps and 2 cluster arrows off while Gloom is up. Then, I use Hungering Arrow safely without any damage mitigation, until my Hatred is back to 50%. Then I gloom again, and hit cluster arrow, and hungering, which will fill my health ball back up. I repeat this until I'm out of discipline, then I go to Hungering arrow, and potion. Then I hit Preparation, and do the Gloom cycle.

When does reflect kill me? When I'm not watching, and shoot blindly, particularly if I have Ball Lightning specced.
    As a monk once i hit 40k damage is when i started noticing reflect damage. If you don't notice soon enough you can easily drop and just kill yourself. In party play electric is even worse. Your group kills you.
    If you are really struggling with reflect packs, carry a vit chest, 200+ vit and 3 socket with vit gems.

The larger your hp pool, the less reflect mobs will bother you, and more opportunities to pop your immunity before getting to critical levels.

I was glass cannon wiz build, 60k dps and REALLY struggling with reflect packs.

I dropped down to 40k dps but with 38k HP & ~650 AR, and walked through reflect ponies like a hot knife through butter.

Its a gear issue.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

It would be the same if they put affix which kills you if you come close (to fight melee classes), that would be fun? Every melee would need to get some sort of AA and kite monster around whole map lol. That's what reflects dms is for casters.

It's called molten/fire chains, and yes as a monk you must kite, reposition, time your cooldowns, and have good defensive stats if you want to survive (barbs can cheat with OP:CA, but if they don't use OP then they must do the same thing).
    Quote from xaimx

Quote from Kblavkalash

It would be the same if they put affix which kills you if you come close (to fight melee classes), that would be fun? Every melee would need to get some sort of AA and kite monster around whole map lol. That's what reflects dms is for casters.

It's called molten/fire chains, and yes as a monk you must kite, reposition, time your cooldowns, and have good defensive stats if you want to survive (barbs can cheat with OP:CA, but if they don't use OP then they must do the same thing).

Molten/fire chains are free kills on melee mobs. On ranged mobs it's nearly a free kill as long as you don't do something stupid like stand in the fire trail or directly between two of them which every class has to avoid.
    I've found that stacking a lot of Armor, Resist All, Vitality and using Energy Armor with the Primsatic rune and Galvanizing Ward passive makes Reflect damage (as well as many other affixes) survivable as a Wiz. Throw in Diamond Skin and you practically don't even need to kite much. Granted, you won't kill stuff as fast, but at least you'll die a lot less often.
    Trust me, I'm a bunny brain-surgeon from space!
    Quote from Rade

I've found that stacking a lot of Armor, Resist All, Vitality and using Energy Armor with the Primsatic rune and Galvanizing Ward passive makes Reflect damage (as well as many other affixes) survivable as a WD. Throw in Diamond Skin and you practically don't even need to kite much. Granted, you won't kill stuff as fast, but at least you'll die a lot less often.

You will probably be surprised but Wiz and WD does not have same skills.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

You will probably be surprised but Wiz and WD does not have same skills.

Derr, sorry, I'm new here :D

But shouldn't soul harvest increase all your resistances by 52 for a 4-mob blue pack, and by 65 for a Gold + minions? That coupled with Jungle Fortitude and Spirit Vessel should work nicely.
    And Horrify with the Frightening Aspect rune sort of works like Diamond Skin for Wizards.
    Resistances.
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    To a caster Reflects Damage is ridiculous, I agree and it does kill diversity. They should share some information on how this mechanic works. For example does it reflect a certain % or a fixed amount of damage etc? Is there a cap to the reflected amount etc etc.
    I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if it's already been said.

Counters for reflects damage by class:

Monk/Barb - Typically has enough loh/life steal and resist/armor for it not to matter
    WD - Spirit Walk (do damage while in spirit walk mode + healing journey to heal you up), Soul Harvest w/ healing rune, Hex with healing rune
    Wiz - Diamond Skin
    DH - I don't play this much, but I believe gloom does the trick?

Of course... if you're doing these things and you still have trouble with reflects damage, you should improve your resists/armor/vit and become less of a glass cannon.
    Having even a moderate amount of regen (with galvanizing ward and some regen from gear) works well for me. That and I don't use DoT skills that I can't turn off, as mentioned above.
    Quote from Asynchronic

Having even a moderate amount of regen (with galvanizing ward and some regen from gear) works well for me. That and I don't use DoT skills that I can't turn off, as mentioned above.

That's what I do. And DoTs are nigh useless against elites in the first place.
    I was a WD once, and I got really pissed with the playstyle. Then I rerolled for a Wiz.

There is not much you can do to help yourself in Reflective Damage mobs. Either you go for high AR, Armor, LR, and get some LOH to swap or you change your build to something like WD Rain of Frogs Tank. But by doing that you will face other annoying afixes, like firechains/Shielders/Invulnerable Minions. As you can see there is no perfect build and unless you have billions to spend, there is no perfect gear.
    as a DH I just throw on Shadow power with gloom rune. Reflects are never a problem anymore... except when I dont realize they reflect and I throw up shadow power a split second too late lol
    If you choose to play as a glass cannon, you should be ready to face the consequences. Reflect dmg is a "free affix" for anyone with half-decent armor/resists.
    Quote from Beace

If you choose to play as a glass cannon, you should be ready to face the consequences. Reflect dmg is a "free affix" for anyone with half-decent armor/resists.

You have no idea what you are talking about. What you mean "choose to play a glass cannon"? Pretty much every caster wants as much damage as possible. I don't really sacrifice defense for damage, i got pretty nice balance but no amount of armor/resist will help you to absorb reflected zombie bear damage.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    As a DH I would like to point out that the life leech on Shadow Power is actually 4% in inferno instead of 20%. But it's still more than enough to keep a DH alive, as long as he has 200+ physical resist.

I'm currently playing with a WD friend with bleed build, 600 all resist, 1.6 atk speed and 800 LoH; and he can stand in 3 arcane beams in A3.

ps: I guess you haven't tried to deal with invulnerable Demonic Tremor yet. It's pretty much the only thing that gives me the headache now.
    I know its been linked before but i bet some havent seen it yet. it just reminded me of old days before they nerfed inferno.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aW9-wv6gGg

:D
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes