Do you think we will ever see "Valor Points" or "Emblems"?

For those not familiar with this concept from world of warcraft (or MMOs in general):
    To motivate players to clear dungeons and raids, despite the small chance of actually getting gear upgrades, Blizzard introduced a character bound reward system for boss kills where you would earn a number of "Valor points" (originally Badges of Justice, Emblems etc) that you could accumulate and eventually use to buy high level gear.

I expect that eventually we will see something similar in D3, although the implementation could be very different. Now, the D3 economy is very different from WOW, and certainly Blizzard has no interest in killing the RMAH. But some rewards could be implemented without upsetting the economy, e.g. with every X elite kills you could get an ilvl 63 - 6 affix rare of your choice. Just an example.

I'm not in favor of such a solution, and I don't really want to argue about whether or not it would be good for the game, but feel free to leave your opinion. Mostly I would like to know whether you think that we will see something like this in the future.

PS: The current system with 5 stacks of Nephalems Valor giving a guaranteed rare and higher MF is already a very small step in this direction.
    God, I hope not...But I doubt we will see something like this...Maybe they'll change how MF/Neph works eventually, but I highly doubt we would see an emblem currency system like that unless maybe it was in PvP
    To be honest that wont really fix anything all you will get is just another chance at a crappy ilv63. Problem in D3 is that loot is too random and most of the time it is complete crap. I really don't see them implementing such a system mainly because it will be worthless in the long run, but i do agree that they have to do something with loot because as of right now loot is just not fun at all...
    Gold basically works like this system.

Play D3, don't get the drops you need, but you keep gathering gold. Eventually you can use the gold to buy the upgrades you need. Sounds similar enough to valor points to me.
    Absolutely not. There really is no reason for it, like others have said there may be some adjustments to how MF/NV work, but doing something like that isn't what the Diablo series is about. I feel like that's part of the reason this game has failed in the eyes of the community. So many of the people who are playing never really played the old games, and come from WoW or another MMO expecting the same sort of hand outs (I don't mean that as a slight, but loot is just vastly different in the MMO genre).

Now don't get my wrong I'm not letting them off the hook, there are a lot of things that were a let down about D3, things many of us wanted and aren't here, or are hoping will be fixed in a future patch. However the loot system isn't the issue with this game. Loot has always been random like this. In fact things like the AH, have made getting what you want easier then ever. So what if you get a drop you can't use, you can at least sell it and buy something you want. In D2 you had to deal in forums, trade channels etc... and trust me when I say the AH is a godsend in a lot of ways. Loot is actually much easier to obtain now then it ever was in the past for Diablo games.

I'd rather see endgame adjustments, endless dungeons and a ladder system for HC would both be awesome starts.
    Yeah, valor points are called gold in Diablo III. Or if you don't want to use the auction house you can use the Expensive In-Game Auction House who goes by the name Haedrig and has a wife who keeps puking everywhere.
    Quote from Kisho

Play D3, don't get the drops you need, but you keep gathering gold. Eventually you can use the gold to buy the upgrades you need. Sounds similar enough to valor points to me.

Exactly this. OP question was not thought through very well...
    As other people have said, they already have "safety nets" for people with poor luck. Maybe, at best, they'll tweak nephalem valor to be more of a GUARANTEE instead of +MF and the guarantee it has now, but no big steps, I don't think.
    Quote from derpinger

Quote from Kisho

Exactly this. OP question was not thought through very well...

Yes, I understand that Gold is already one form of valor points. However there's not much you can do with gold... any increase in the drop rate will just lead to a similar shift in prices, so the "unlucky" people would still not be able to afford better gear. With "valor points" there would be other options (bind on account gear?!?), although it would certainly have some weird effect on the economy.

Well, I'm happy that most people feel that there is no need (and no room) for such a system. Thanks for all the replies.
    I'll be truthful. Most people around here know I'm pretty tolerant towards D3. I haven't been shy about pointing out the things I feel need to be brushed up though, either. If they implemented JP/VP I'd stop playing D3 immediately.

D3 has never been about "if you play this long we'll automatically give you an item." I'm sure there are a few things they can do to make the item hunt a bit more engaging, but JP/VP would absolutely destroy it for me in one fell swoop. It's one of the few changes they could make which would instantly turn me off to the point that I'd stop playing.
    p407 :: 86.3k EK :: 2.40m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes