MoP release date named. What does it spell for D3 Community

Quote from Vuron

[stupidity]Obviously Rift is better than WoW. I mean it has to be right? They have ~12% of the active subs that WoW has. Being so far behind in sub numbers can only mean that Rift is better that WoW.[/stupidity]

Subscription #'s != a better game.

WoW was built and marketed to casual players, which make up the vast majority of gamers. It also was released at a time when people were hungering for a new MMO. Blizzard's marketing department might be full of geniuses, but that doesn't mean the game is better. I could make point after point as to why EQ2 was a much better game than WoW at launch.

More people watch Judge Judy than Game of Thrones, but that doesn't mean Judge Judy is a better show.

Because heroic raid progression, high ranking arena, and high ranking RBGs are totally based on casual game play. So tired of this kind of stupidity. If you think Rift is a better game then why did it go on sale within 5 months of release for 5 dollars? Why did they start consolidating servers in their first year? Why did they send out million of emails to lost people offering them another free month after releasing new content and fixing bugs? If you are too stupid to see rift as nothing more than another WoW clone then that is your problem. Saying it is a better game is simply ludicrous. You can say you like it more than WoW and to YOU it is a better game. But do not try to speak for everyone. You try to say sub numbers don't matter? That is the measure of success and the better game is the one with more success. Pull your head out of your ass and think before you start spewing such stupidity. WoW is the more successful game, end of story.

But w/e. I guess any game that has an average of 10 million subs over a 7 tear period must be worse than Rift because Rift has to basically beg people to play its game.
    People seem to forget the basic reasons why World of Warcraft is so popular. It's accessibility.

1.) Can run on machines from 2000.
    2.) It's easy.
    3.) By far the greatest Add on support in an MMO.

People make forum arguments all day about how good the raid content in this game or that expansion is better than that game or this expansion when it's never really mattered to begin with. The biggest mistake WoW made with Cata was taking a step backward in accessibility. They went back to the BC style of dungeons when the growing population was already comfortable with the WOTLK model. After a 600k subscription loss and the rise of League of Legends playing WoW had become taboo. There are idiots who quit because they didn't want to play a "dying" game. Then people quit cause they were going to "wait for TOR".
    Quote from Runner55

Quote from Bleu42

Quote from Obbie

Quote from Xago

Everybody will be playing GW2 anyways ;)

i lawled just like SWTOR huh? =p
    or Rift
    or Aion

Or warhammer
    Or Tera
    Or Torchlite 2
    Or path of exile

Gotta love all of this 'omg THIS time it'l kill Blizzard!'

I get what you're saying. But Warhammer turned out good imo, too bad it happened so damn late. It's the world pvp that I like about it and I assume most others do as well, so it's not really a competitor to WoW in that regard. GW2 is also (extremely) different from WoW when it comes to world pvp, so there's no real competition there either. Just different demographics.

Warhammer was just terrible, Mythic under control of EA just didn't seem to have the balls to bring out a proper PvP based MMORPG.

Open world PvP in that game was just horrible. It felt so basic and casual I totally gave up on it. There was no stealth, no real crowd control, no need to use any stratergy or teamplay. It was just nuke, kite and zerg.

The real issue with all multiplayer online games these days is that they are trying to be too popular. Instead of making a solid game they are too busy ripping each other off and trying to not offend the most casual of players.

Diablo III, WoW, GW2, War, Rift, etc. they are all lacking in endgame and a decent learning curve. They are full of artifical difficulties like gear-checks, grinding and overly rigid boss encounters. The fact is gamers hop between them because they are essentially boring.

The only MMO game I spent any real time playing in the last 10 years was DAoC. Even though it was small and a little raw at least it had an engaging end game with solo, team and raid sized PvP. You didn't have gear checks or any artifical difficulties to overcome, you just had to learn to outplay your opponents, which stays fresh because people are ultimately more of a challenge then AIs.

MoP is just more of the same, plus some added vulgarities. That is why it will enjoy about a week of popularity and when people realise gameplay and replay value is lacking it will become unpopular. We really need more radical player based games from developers like Activision/Blizzard. Hopefully Titan will add new gameplay elements to the genre of MMOs. At the moment the genre is stagnating horribly, it's like in the 80s and 90s where you just go endless Mario platformer clones until everyone just got totally bored with the genre.

The same reason explains Diablo III's near complete failure as a game. It's basically nothing new, with some things taken out. Diablo III at the moment feels barren and sterile. The developers have forgotten to include any elements of gameplay that feel rewarding or fun. Diablo III is just managing to stay alive on the repuation of the franchise alone. Sadly it is just another in the long line of recent big games that flatters to deceieve. It's as hollow and superficial as a summer hollywood blockbuster film.
    Quote from Serpenth

People seem to forget the basic reasons why World of Warcraft is so popular. It's accessibility.

1.) Can run on machines from 2000.
    2.) It's easy.
    3.) By far the greatest Add on support in an MMO.

People make forum arguments all day about how good the raid content in this game or that expansion is better than that game or this expansion when it's never really mattered to begin with. The biggest mistake WoW made with Cata was taking a step backward in accessibility. They went back to the BC style of dungeons when the growing population was already comfortable with the WOTLK model. After a 600k subscription loss and the rise of League of Legends playing WoW had become taboo. There are idiots who quit because they didn't want to play a "dying" game. Then people quit cause they were going to "wait for TOR".

I call bs on this post.
    First off pcs from 2000 can't run wow and a pc from 2005 (if not high end and then I'm not even sure) wouldn't be able to raid propperly so thats like saying a pc can run a game just because u have a frame each second.
    It being easy doesn't mean more people play it. However how chill it feels for the casual players is prob a better description but I think this would be arguing over how u phrased it so I can live with that.
    Addon support is a huge thing for making the game better (the standard ui is fucking terrible and would make my eyes bleed playing with that for a long time) but the majority of casual players or well the really casual players don't really use addons (consider most people don't even raid even if that might have changed with the lfr).

On the last part wow was never taboo or well it was always. People would always frown on you if you said u played it (I'm thinking non wow players) mostly because of the image to the outside world.
    Personally I think bc dungeons were better than wotlk or cata so that is sorta a bad excuse considering the lfg is the real problem when you pair it up with dificult dungeons.
    League of legends had fuck all to do with the decline of wow this is a hillarious excuse for a player thats grasping for straws since it's too different games. And really people didn't quit because it was a dying game or waiting for SWTOR they just used that excuse on forums the real reason was that the game have gone on too long and even if u look at it in a constructive light the game just have become to old despite how I personally feel about the game (I could really go on about what I dislike about wow but that would be 100% personal and could just as well be what people like).

On another note when did this thread turn into a omg wow is better than everything thread. I know it's a blizzard game but how about u stop being total fanboys just because you still play the game.

Edit: to the guy above me. I like how you put GW2 into that category when it's not out yet. Also what is wrong with an mmo-rpg that doesn't rely on gear/Raiding to be a game? I play starcraft and the game is the endgame there just because it's an mmo doesn't mean it can't be that way.
    Quote from phoulmouth

Quote from Vuron

[stupidity]Obviously Rift is better than WoW. I mean it has to be right? They have ~12% of the active subs that WoW has. Being so far behind in sub numbers can only mean that Rift is better that WoW.[/stupidity]

Subscription #'s != a better game.

WoW was built and marketed to casual players, which make up the vast majority of gamers. It also was released at a time when people were hungering for a new MMO. Blizzard's marketing department might be full of geniuses, but that doesn't mean the game is better. I could make point after point as to why EQ2 was a much better game than WoW at launch.

More people watch Judge Judy than Game of Thrones, but that doesn't mean Judge Judy is a better show.

Because heroic raid progression, high ranking arena, and high ranking RBGs are totally based on casual game play. So tired of this kind of stupidity. If you think Rift is a better game then why did it go on sale within 5 months of release for 5 dollars? Why did they start consolidating servers in their first year? Why did they send out million of emails to lost people offering them another free month after releasing new content and fixing bugs? If you are too stupid to see rift as nothing more than another WoW clone then that is your problem. Saying it is a better game is simply ludicrous. You can say you like it more than WoW and to YOU it is a better game. But do not try to speak for everyone. You try to say sub numbers don't matter? That is the measure of success and the better game is the one with more success. Pull your head out of your ass and think before you start spewing such stupidity. WoW is the more successful game, end of story.

But w/e. I guess any game that has an average of 10 million subs over a 7 tear period must be worse than Rift because Rift has to basically beg people to play its game.

Reading comprehension is your friend.... I never said that Rift was a good name... never played it, in fact. I did say that EQ2 was a better game and I also specified that it was better AT LAUNCH. Now, pull YOUR head out of your ass before you start spouting off next time.
    Quote from shaggy

EDIT
    I also take issue with the idea that somehow people who play WoW are inherently stupider than those who play an indie title, or that people who went to the movies to enjoy a simple action flick with explosions, like Transformers, are inherently less intelligent than people who went to the Cannes Film Festival and drank cappicunos on the veranda while wearing a beret.

Entertainment is entertainment and not everyone wants to come home from work and watch something that requires a lot of attention like Tree of Life. One of my favorite movies is Memento, but I'll be honest with you, I don't always feel like watching a movie like that, sometimes I just want something I can veg out to. Memento requiring more mental acuity to "get" than Transformers does not, in any way, make it a better product.

It'd also be super-nice if this discussion didn't turn into the typical "indie is better because it's indie and mainstream sucks because you're all lemmings with low IQs" snobbery.

Bad choice of words on my part. I'm not much of an indie fan, either. And I've never worn a beret in my life.
    Quote from Vuron

Quote from shaggy

EDIT
    I also take issue with the idea that somehow people who play WoW are inherently stupider than those who play an indie title, or that people who went to the movies to enjoy a simple action flick with explosions, like Transformers, are inherently less intelligent than people who went to the Cannes Film Festival and drank cappicunos on the veranda while wearing a beret.

Entertainment is entertainment and not everyone wants to come home from work and watch something that requires a lot of attention like Tree of Life. One of my favorite movies is Memento, but I'll be honest with you, I don't always feel like watching a movie like that, sometimes I just want something I can veg out to. Memento requiring more mental acuity to "get" than Transformers does not, in any way, make it a better product.

It'd also be super-nice if this discussion didn't turn into the typical "indie is better because it's indie and mainstream sucks because you're all lemmings with low IQs" snobbery.

Bad choice of words on my part. I'm not much of an indie fan, either. And I've never worn a beret in my life.

Understood, and appreciated. I just wanted to make sure we weren't getting into that "mainstream is horrible, you're all lemmings" discussion.

One of my favorite games ever was an overhead shooter called Raptor which probably was considered an indie release, although there were a LOT of games in the early-to-mid 90s which would have been considered "indie" I suppose. I certainly don't hate indie games. They're typically not my cup of tea, but there have been some that really make me enjoy time behind my computer/console.
    p438 :: 90.5k EK :: 2.50m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    MoP release= Blizzard diverting some resources here and there to help out with release. I wouldn't be surprised if these past few weeks of (mostly) silence from the blues are because they're helping out with preparations for MoP.
    Quote from Nastai

To me, a person who played WoW for a month, got max level, did a few raids and then quit, MoP sounds like a complete joke. How could anyone be excited about "OMG playing a panda!!". WoW always was a kid's game in my eyes...

wow was never a kids game, WOW put MMOs on the map, wow is the benchmark for mmos

again, wow was never a kids game, was it a kids game when people were spending 10 hours a day trying to run molten core, or 200 wipes on C'thun. it still isnt, ok its gone down many roads, but it is still the PLAYERS game

MoP isnt abou pandas, was bc about drainei & belfs, no it was about the burning legion

i am a wow player, diablo has made me appreciate wow again
    WoW is on it's way out. Diablo 3 still has a great deal of promise, after a lot of patching, and two expansions.
    "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Friedrich Nietzsche
    I kinda like how Achievement points is in MOP and i guess i will try Guild Wars 2 before I buy MOP. SInce its free 2 play...
    Atm im kinda stuck in Diablo3 and just farming farming farming and waiting for the next patch with new legendary's. So the future looks nice :)
    + Rep Me if I've helped!
    Before you buy any more blizzard games consider this article that was posted in the official forums (and possibly here).

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252\
    Awesome!! i cant wait untill they put alot o PANDAS on diablo too!!!

YES! GO JAY GO!!!!
    Quote from Xhosas

actually everyone will see that gw2 is another fail and come back in time for mop!

Except for the fact that Guild Wars 1 was pretty decent. So I doubt it will fail.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes