My inferno act 1 farming route

I found that this is the best farming route for me, doesn't get boring fast and has good results.

Start at quest Imprisoned Angel - quest start and clean the Leroic Manor (1 elite)
    Go outside backtracking to Courtyard and get you second elite (2 so far)
    Leoric hunting grounds - backtrack and 2 are here (4 so far)
    Northern Highlands - usually there's one elite her (5 so far)
    Watchtower in Northern Highlands - depending on RNG you can have up to 3 elites (8 so far) then TP
    Festering woods WP - clean two crypts and any elite you find on the way, usualy 1 (11 so far)
    Cathedral Level 3 WP - one elite is near the place you get templar or closer to Jondar (12 so far)
    Cemetery WP - clean crypt's where you get 2 elites per crypt (18 so far)
    Old Ruins WP - check for dark cellar to find elite or goblin
    Old Tristram road - check for dank cellar (usual farming spot)

If you're lucky you can get up to 20 elites (15 if not), some goblins and chests. With some MF you can find very good drops (I have only 75% MF and still get good drops). You can also start with quest for butcher, do the run and go back to kill him with 5 stacks (updated for you Silmano)

I use my own build and clean it under 30 min:
    http://www.diablofan...ng-with-routes/
    Seems a good route to farm elites/champs, but haven't you considered including Butcher as well? Its not so though and drops aren't bad if you have a little of MF...
    Haven't tried it without kiting because of my build. You can always add butcher to the list.
    A run totally agreed.

I would have to point 3 things though:

1. Watchtower in Northern Highlands: Can you please explain (or link to a youtube video or anything) where i can find...i did around 30-50 runs of A1 and didn't find it..i presume it is right under my nose

2. I fully agree with other posters that doing the entire quest 9 (where you should start the game btw) is really good. Butcher has also become a 10-30 kill for most classes as well and drops (from experience) a little better than elites.

3. Haven't checked old ruins and old tristram road so i cannot pronounce myself on it.

For an act 2 guide please check here if you are interested (sorry for the "commercial"):
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/62853-farming-guide-for-act-2-inferno/page__p__995101#entry995101
    I use the exact same route with only exceptions to their order.

Festering woods WP - clean two crypts and any elite you find on the way (Minimum 3 elites and often 4)
    Cemetery WP - clean crypt's where you get 2 elites per crypt

Running these two first it takes me about 5 min to get 5 NV.

Then I proceed through the others.

Leroic Manor
    Courtyard
    Leoric hunting grounds
    Northern Highlands
    Watchtower in Northern Highlands
    Butcher
    Old Ruins
    Old Tristram road
    I've done this one for a while

Choose quest 9
    Go to Northern Highlands and check for watch tower (very important step pre-patch, but I believe watch tower has been nerfed)
    TP and go to Festering Woods
    Clear both crypts and all elites there (4-6 packs)
    Port to Cemetery, clear whole area (The crypt events give a rare item with 5 stacks, area itself contains +4 elite packs and 1 event)
    Go back to Watch Tower, clear it (Usually 3-5 elite packs pre-patch+Chest)
    Port to Leorics Manor, check for possible elite pack
    Go to Halls of agony, clear everything up to Butcher (2-3 elite packs in HoA 1,2,3 and Cursed Hold, 1-2 goblins, Both Warden and Butcher drop +2 rares with 5 stacks)

This should take 30-40 min, usually I pick up every magic and rare item which is ilvl 61 or higher and I have to clear my bags 2-3 times during one run (MF gear takes some inventory space)
    Quote from ilumm

1. Watchtower in Northern Highlands: Can you please explain (or link to a youtube video or anything) where i can find...i did around 30-50 runs of A1 and didn't find it..i presume it is right under my nose

Go to Nothern Highlands WP and head for north west! It's always in the north west (an extra langue of land).
    You easily notice it on your minimap! That should take round about 15sec.

Once you found it, you know what I mean ;)

If you still have problems finding it, check youtube, there is a video for this issue ;)
    All this should be prefaced with saying that I play Hardcore and Barb (no bug abuse), with exactly 0% MF before NV.

Barb specs:
    900 All res
    10K Armor
    11K DPS
    62K HP
    900 LoH
    Shield 19% for 2800-3700

I personally use a much longer run in act 1, my theory and reasoning for this are as follows;
    the first 5 elites you kill don't(100% of the time) provide you rares. Lets say the above route takes 30 minutes to complete and subtract the first 5 elites, that give you an average of 12 guarenteed rares, thats 0.4 rares a minute. My run takes around 1 hour and 15 minutes and have around 46-49 elites/gobbos, if we subtract the 5 first elites we have 42 rares over 75 minutes, thats 0.56 rares per minute. And it's even less repetative, but requires a bit more knowledge about what caves to enter and what quests to solve.

Choose Quest Imprisoned Angel - The Cursed Hold
    Cathedral Garden WP, i run to Cathedral Level 2, wich always contain 2 elites
    Run to Cathedrals Level 3 which always contain 1 elite
    Run to Cathedrals Level 4 which contains 1-2 elites, so after i kill the first elite i TP to town
    Cemetery of the Forsaken WP, check for the elite roaming the cemetery and then clear all the tombs
    WP to Fields of Misery, run in circles towads the middle and kill 2-3 elites and enter 1-2 caves with elites and chests
    WP to Festering Woods and clear the woods for 1-3 elites and the 2 caves for an additional 2 elites
    WP to Highlands Crossing and walk towards Southered Highlands, circle the highlands for elites and Cave of the Moon Clan
    Walk to Northeren Highlands circle for elites and the Watch Tower
    Walk to Leorics Hunting Grounds circle for elites and the Highland Cave
    Walk to Leoric's Mannor for 1 elite
    Walk to Halls of Agony Level 1 and look for 1 elite before going to Halls of Agony Level 2
    Look for 1 elite before going to the Cursed Hold, clear the 2 guarenteed elites in the Hold and the Warden
    Walk to Halls of Agony Level 3 and kill one elite before finally killing butcher

I also disagree with the order in which OP kills their elites. Not all Act 1 monsters have the same % chance to drop a ilvl 63, the closer you get to the Butcher, the better your chances. So you shouldn't "waste" the high end elites to stack your NV, that honor should fall on the critters in the Cathedral :P
    That is surely a lot of elites, but considering the time actually looking for elites it's not so good. Rather go for guaranteed ones-

Festering Woods, guaranteed 2 in tombs + 1 outside, have found 3 packs,
    Leoric's manor, sometimes one inside, always 1 in courtyard, sometimes 2.
    Leave the cemetary last as there you have the highest chance to find an event, so you need 5 stacks for the extra rare from that. Sometimes 1 in cemetary, up to 3 in each crypt.

It's way faster and therefore more effective.

Halls of Agony is just too big and there are annoying mobs, doing Butcher as well is just so not worth it, it may take long to find right route and since you get just one more rare from bosses.. Why bother
    her is mine :D
    Demon Hunter Owner :-)
    My YouTube Check it !
    Not all Act 1 monsters have the same % chance to drop a ilvl 63, the closer you get to the Butcher, the better your chances.

Source ? I thought Blizzard's published drop chances was for anything in the act, not that it was changing depending on the type of monster/proximity to whatever boss.
    Is it the same in A3/A4 ? (the closer you come to Azmodan, the better drops on the packs ? the closer you come to Diablo, the better the dros ?)
    "Halls of Agony is just too big and there are annoying mobs, doing Butcher as well is just so not worth it, it may take long to find right route and since you get just one more rare from bosses.. Why bother" - Repo

Halls of Agony IS big, but there are ALOT of shortcuts you can take, as the entrance to next levels are always under specific restrictions, and after many runs this becomes second nature.

For example when you enter Halls of Agony Level 1, the entrance to Level 2 will always be behind the Cleaver Traps, and it has like 3 or 4 ways the map can layout that are kinda hard to explain. I just run past all the trashmobs and when I kill the first elite i just run for the next level. From Hall of Agony Level 2 to the Cursed Hold it's even easier, as the entrance is always straight south, as the exit has the same layout EVERY time. From Halls of Agony Level 3 to the Butcher, the entrance to Butcher is always a long hall pointed towards the east, and once you get a few runs under your belt, you'll know where it is everytime, and if you run straight for it, you'll always run into at least 1 elite.

I don't know how it is for other chars, but my barb just pops Wrath of The Berserker and kills butcher in a little over a minute, totally worth it timewise, in contrast to the argument regarding the first 5 elites each run. Am I missing something here? I don't change to MF gear or have any on me, so does that make the difference between 20 mins runs and 1 hour runs?
    In my many Act 1 farm runs this is what I have found to be optimal for me at least.

1. Check for watchtower, remake game if it's not there. This should always be step one as without the tower you're missing out on 3-8 elites off the bat.
    2. Cemetary, hit each crypt. A tip I picked up which is good for saving time is if you find a pack near the door of a crypt just leave and hit another crypt. It's not worth it to search the entire rest of the crypt for a 2nd pack that might be there.
    3. Festering woods hit both crypts potentially find some packs while looking for the crypts. Additionally there's the king of the mountain type event that spawns a pack.
    4. Leorics manor run up and to the courtyard, sometimes 1 pack in the manor on your run out and up to 2 in the courtyard.
    5. Cursed hold level 2 WP, clear through etcc... etc... to butcher.
    6. Back to cemetary, run out to the south west I forget the area name. Usually small area with up to 3 packs.

Rinse repeat. Additionally, I can not stress how much a pair of 12% boots and any other run speed will improve your elite kills per hour.
    Quote from Nyarlathotep

Not all Act 1 monsters have the same % chance to drop a ilvl 63, the closer you get to the Butcher, the better your chances.

Source ? I thought Blizzard's published drop chances was for anything in the act, not that it was changing depending on the type of monster/proximity to whatever boss.
    Is it the same in A3/A4 ? (the closer you come to Azmodan, the better drops on the packs ? the closer you come to Diablo, the better the dros ?)

I second this opinion that the drop chances are the same in the entire act.
    If you head out the backway of Tristam like you are walking to the Cemetery theres usually 3-4 easymode elites and possibly a cave with 2-4 more, and also maybe a goblin. Also because this is the first elites you encounter in Inferno I think they made them easier so new players can get used to them cause they are faceroll even for Act 1.
    Quote from ilumm

Quote from Nyarlathotep

I second this opinion that the drop chances are the same in the entire act.

Drop chances aren't the same for the entire act. For example, blizzard said that act 1 ilvl61-63 is 14% doesn't mean that every elite or boss you kill nets you the same chance. The calculated percentage was an average of the act so the closer you get to the end of the act the percentage increases ever so slightly. I cannot pull the source but it was on one of the blue posts the first time they bumped up the drop rates.

To keep on topic, I basically run the same thing except I choose to start with Act1 chapter 9 "Cursed Hold". This way I can also kill the Warden and the Butcher because they are so easy and they usually net me 4 rares.
    I actually do the samething but also add in the dungeons in the fields of misery and the moon clan cave in one of the highlands.

I do the butcher run as well but.. I open the game to public so it goes fast because tons of people just do butcher runs. I could do it abit slower and not die if I solo it. (more people the faster you find the next dungeon because groups never stay together in public games.) I can solo most of the content in a 4 player public game but occassionaly die, maybe once or twice per run. Its about a 6k gold cost for the deaths but it speeds up that last bit of the run. Also I have this undying notion that maybe if I kill the Butcher with 5 stack, he might actually drop something worth using. I know, crazy.
    Quote from Apfen

I also disagree with the order in which OP kills their elites. Not all Act 1 monsters have the same % chance to drop a ilvl 63, the closer you get to the Butcher, the better your chances. So you shouldn't "waste" the high end elites to stack your NV, that honor should fall on the critters in the Cathedral :P

People forget that bosses and certain things have a "loot list" that affects what can be dropped. In the recent update on MF they dev's detail the different "affix levels" and they can and do go into a boss and *set* those break points. It's safe to assume, based upon what they have said at other times, they set those break points based upon where you are in the act. Since the mobs get harder as you progress through the act, it only make sense those break points get adjusted up as you go through the act.
    Watch Tower = 0 to 6 elites + goblin
    Check out the monk section of the forums for my Magic Find Monk guide, as well as a video of the run I normally do in Act 1 Inferno. Get about 100k and 40 rares in less than 30 minutes.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes