Blacklisting Scammers in Diablo 3

We have recently released a new Diablo site where you can report players that are possible scammers, so that we collectively can maintain a database to make trading safer. We feel there is a need to do so since nowadays it is easy to "remove a digit" or to sell "not so unidentified unidentified items".

The website is called D3Blacklist.com.

There is no commercial interest in the site, it is just made by and made for other diablo III gamers who like the game just as much as we do!
    I think Blizzard would be wise to give the cheaters there own private network, where that account has no link to the or any Auction house. The cheaters can play amongst themselves. Seems questionable to have people spend $60 on a game and then completely block them from playing it.
    Good job. Here's another scammer tracking thread.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080523253
    Blacklists are historically known to wrongly label people, morphing their good intent into a witch-hunt of sorts.

If people just tried a bit to educate themselves to the tricks of the scam trade, trade smarter and use common sense, the scammers would be out of business.

I would even argue that tracking scammers is near useless. A more proactive effort to educate players would be a far more effective way to address the issue. As they say, give a man a fish and he eats today. Teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime.
    BurningRope#1322
    Thanks for your response guys! Database is fulling up rapidly!

@Cantor Thank you for your repsonse. We keep a track record (that is, a blog post) of every player added to our database (with a direct link). In this record, legitimacy of the claim can be discussed. this way, we hope to address issues such as false accusations. finally, it is a database of possible scammers, no claim is made and by browsing/searching the list you can see if you should be extra cautious (on top of your own common sense) when trading with specific people.
    Database is filling up rapidly with over 70 entries already!

check d3blacklist.com to see if the one you're trading stackable items with is a possible scammer!
    I would suggest using this list to act as a guide to be more cautious than usual rather than assuming that everyone there is truly guilty.
    So now everyone who dislikes me for whatever reason can report me as a scammer? How can you possibly validate each submission? I don't mean to trounce on your work, but it seems like a terrible and ineffective idea.
    "angie's list"
    Sex, Drugs, & Rock n' Roll
    Quote from BigEd781

So now everyone who dislikes me for whatever reason can report me as a scammer? How can you possibly validate each submission? I don't mean to trounce on your work, but it seems like a terrible and ineffective idea.

Don't believe everything you read, but if you see 1 guy with like 20 reports to his name, and read the reports as to how he scammed them, I'm sure you can make up your own mind.
    Winter is coming...
    Quote from Nausicaa

Quote from BigEd781

Don't believe everything you read, but if you see 1 guy with like 20 reports to his name, and read the reports as to how he scammed them, I'm sure you can make up your own mind.

This. Not all entries are legit, and there is no possible way to validate all submissions.

No one can report you as a scammer, only as a possible scammer. it is clearly stated on the frontpage that it is up to the users to interpret the information on the site.
    additionally, it now possible to add evidence and to rate a track record; the rating provides an additional way of making claims of possible scammers more legitimate (or less legitimate in case of fake reports!)
    I just got scammed buy one of the most wanted on ur site, I only was recommended ur site after...
    I have a suggestion, this should be on all the server trading forums, because u should see this before u try to trade, after u read the thread its ur choice if u want to risk it... hell, this doesnt even makes sense to be here.
    I believe you should make it a requirement to submit proof and also have others "second," "third," etc. the motion to list someone as a scammer.

Believe me, I'm all for reporting scammers, but you really don't want to drag innocent people into the mix (especially if they're "counter-targeted" by existing scammers).
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Jaetch

I believe you should make it a requirement to submit proof and also have others "second," "third," etc. the motion to list someone as a scammer.

Believe me, I'm all for reporting scammers, but you really don't want to drag innocent people into the mix (especially if they're "counter-targeted" by existing scammers).

Or have a way to differentiate people who have evidence against them vs people who are just being named with no evidence.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Wow, just reading through the list of reasons for getting scammed I am surprised at how many people fall for even the simplest of scams. People! Please! Buyers beware! The best protection from getting scammed resides between your ears and you just look at some of these scams, you might just save yourself from ever having to add anybody to the list. You need to protect yourself and not fall for the obvious.
    "There is no cow level!"
    "Ok so i've been friends with this guy for months, been palying togheter and all that stuff. Today he assked if he can burrow a radiant star emerald to try something out, then he left game, remove me from friends. and all that for 30m lol.
    Now i had 600 euros in rmah so i bought another one for 4 euros lol, but still, what a patethic looser."

:facepalm:
    And this is why this Blacklist site is just a bad idea...

Quote from Indimix

"Ok so i've been friends with this guy for months, been palying togheter and all that stuff. Today he assked if he can burrow a radiant star emerald to try something out, then he left game, remove me from friends. and all that for 30m lol.
    Now i had 600 euros in rmah so i bought another one for 4 euros lol, but still, what a patethic looser."

:facepalm:
    Well, it's one reason why it's a bad idea, though a completely different one (people might embarrass themselves while reporting others). Actually, is that really a quote from the website, Indimix?

The main reason why such a blacklist is a bad idea is because there's no control mechanism to make sure the people are in fact frauds. The understanding of justice this website is based on reminds me of this:

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes