Mike Morhaime D3 State Update - but... what alt change?

uber thanks to Mike Morhaime for this update!
    http://eu.battle.net...ic/4940437236#1

my major interest is (and i hope you will all theorycraft on this!) is the following in his statement below:

"We’re also working on a gameplay system that will provide players who have max-level, high-powered characters new goals to strive for as an alternative to the “item hunt.” We’re not ready to get into specifics just yet, but I can say that we’re actively taking your feedback into account as we plan out the future of the game."

i am an honest blank or block as to what they could introduce....? anyone?
    Diii: Classix#2766; Daanlandjnr 60 baba Act2 Inf; DrDaanland 50 WD Act4 Hell; FApSsoso WZ Act1 Norm
    ~HardcoreClassic for Life ~~Clan LeFAp ~ HcC Europe since Beta Jul '96~
    GarGanTuaN highest d2 beta maul baba
    Supporter of GERBarb, first 99 char ever; Team player of GerMania first 99 sorc classic softcore 1.06
    jojo_LeFAp 93 necro HcC EU 1.08; jojojo_LeFAp 95 necro HcC EU 1.08; Daanland_LeFAp 94 s/s baba HcC EU 1.08
    possibly some type of endless dungeon. say you progress trought 2 randomly generated floors with 2-3 elite packs (thees packs probably wont drop any loot besides potions. Then after you have done those 2 floors we get a boss monster that might drop loot, or just completing a quest trigger giving you some gold.
    the floors will become increasingly harder to beat.

they could even throw in a ladder that shows who as decended the furthest, diablo 1 style.
    Quote from Vomica

possibly some type of endless dungeon. say you progress trought 2 randomly generated floors with 2-3 elite packs (thees packs probably wont drop any loot besides potions. Then after you have done those 2 floors we get a boss monster that might drop loot, or just completing a quest trigger giving you some gold.
    the floors will become increasingly harder to beat.

they could even throw in a ladder that shows who as decended the furthest, diablo 1 style.

wow... awesome idea man! that would really be something... even on the hardcore mode!

i noticed youre from sweden, explains your awesomeness^^
    Diii: Classix#2766; Daanlandjnr 60 baba Act2 Inf; DrDaanland 50 WD Act4 Hell; FApSsoso WZ Act1 Norm
    ~HardcoreClassic for Life ~~Clan LeFAp ~ HcC Europe since Beta Jul '96~
    GarGanTuaN highest d2 beta maul baba
    Supporter of GERBarb, first 99 char ever; Team player of GerMania first 99 sorc classic softcore 1.06
    jojo_LeFAp 93 necro HcC EU 1.08; jojojo_LeFAp 95 necro HcC EU 1.08; Daanland_LeFAp 94 s/s baba HcC EU 1.08
    thanks mike, now i can die with peace.
    Could also be an whole event based system of random events like the jars of souls, Where monsters spawn randomly on the map getting progressingly harder, and an elite/champion pack pops up everynow and then pausing the normal monster spawn untill the pack is dead or untill 1 minute has gone by.
    is possible to add a ladder showing longest time survived or most elite packs killed.

the possebilitys of endless modes / dungeon with increasing difficulty is endless.
    A some sort-of gauntlet that scales up to unbeatable difficulty, please. <3
    Yeah, I was really pleased to find n read that statement about D3 this morning. Kind of made my morning, not because I think that D3 is in a terrible state right now but because it gets me HYPED for the next patch. I can't wait to see how they buff the underused skills and tweak class balance. That's what I'm most excited about...
    Jurassic World – 2015
    I have read the whole post twice. It really does not interest me at all. It's basicly all blue posts from the last few weeks compiled into one big post. The first five paragraphs are some corporate nonsense that they've been actively monitoring and fixing server problems. I personally think it's an awesome game, even after 600 hours of actively playing it. But they have no excuse for the server problems at launch, NO excuse.

I am however thrilled about the Legendary buffs in 1.0.4, I didn't expect it that those would come with 1.0.4, but with 1.1. The part about the social improvements were a bit vague, and because of the experience in the past with Blizzard, it didn't raise any hopes in me. Hopefully I'm wrong though, maybe they have some very good ideas (Clans, chat rooms etc.).

The endgame part really scares me. Not the fact that it's coming, but the fact when it's coming. I think they don't realize how many people will have uninstalled the game before they will roll out new endgame material. I doubt it's coming with 1.1, let alone before 1.1. So I think it will take at least 3-4 months for them to get more endgame content, and I'm being very optimistic with this.
    Quote from Seditiar

I personally think it's an awesome game, even after 600 hours of actively playing it. But they have no excuse for the server problems at launch, NO excuse.

Most massive launch of a PC game of all time and it's unforgivable that Blizzard had server problems?
    Jurassic World – 2015
    Quote from Seditiar

The endgame part really scares me. Not the fact that it's coming, but the fact when it's coming. I think they don't realize how many people will have uninstalled the game before they will roll out new endgame material. I doubt it's coming with 1.1, let alone before 1.1. So I think it will take at least 3-4 months for them to get more endgame content, and I'm being very optimistic with this.

Yeah you are. I think even saying the pvp patch will be 3-4 months away would be optimistic (lol at the people saying it would only be 1-2 months after release).. yet alone the end-game patch. I would expect early next year for that... possibly Dec if we want to be optimistic.

As to what it might contain? Some sort of uber dungeon would be the most likely. I know a popular idea is some sort of bottomless dungeon which I could see them doing but I think it'd be a bit less likely. It would be really funny if it's something dumb like new achievements to strive for... that would piss people off.

Either way, I'm glad to hear the announcement. I wasn't expecting any additional content for end-game. To be honest, we have endgame right now with the item hunt but the item quality and drop rate is so bad that it's not very fun. That's the problem. The problem isn't that the endgame is an item hunt. The problem is that the item hunt isn't very fun or rewarding. Besides the legendary item buff, they aren't doing anything to address it. They buffed the drop rates and feel like it's fine now. For me at least, it's not fine... it's still extremely boring to farm for a week straight and get nothing of value because of low drop rates and insanely low stat ranges on ilvl 63 gear.
    Quote from Daanland

uber thanks to Mike Morhaime for this update!
    http://eu.battle.net...ic/4940437236#1

my major interest is (and i hope you will all theorycraft on this!) is the following in his statement below:

"We’re also working on a gameplay system that will provide players who have max-level, high-powered characters new goals to strive for as an alternative to the “item hunt.” We’re not ready to get into specifics just yet, but I can say that we’re actively taking your feedback into account as we plan out the future of the game."

i am an honest blank or block as to what they could introduce....? anyone?

Alternative fights is my thoughts. UBER Diablo, pande event, etc. Something that has a tangbile reward and requires teamwork.
    Quote from GeNMaKB

Quote from Seditiar

I personally think it's an awesome game, even after 600 hours of actively playing it. But they have no excuse for the server problems at launch, NO excuse.

Most massive launch of a PC game of all time and it's unforgivable that Blizzard had server problems?

Exactly. They never learn. They've had problems with every World of Warcraft expansion so far. It's ridiculous to say the least, they should have played it safe.
    Quote from Ruppgu

Quote from Seditiar

Yeah you are. I think even saying the pvp patch will be 3-4 months away would be optimistic (lol at the people saying it would only be 1-2 months after release).. yet alone the end-game patch. I would expect early next year for that... possibly Dec if we want to be optimistic.

As to what it might contain? Some sort of uber dungeon would be the most likely. I know a popular idea is some sort of bottomless dungeon which I could see them doing but I think it'd be a bit less likely. It would be really funny if it's something dumb like new achievements to strive for... that would piss people off.

Either way, I'm glad to hear the announcement. I wasn't expecting any additional content for end-game. To be honest, we have endgame right now with the item hunt but the item quality and drop rate is so bad that it's not very fun. That's the problem. The problem isn't that the endgame is an item hunt. The problem is that the item hunt isn't very fun or rewarding. Besides the legendary item buff, they aren't doing anything to address it. They buffed the drop rates and feel like it's fine now. For me at least, it's not fine... it's still extremely boring to farm for a week straight and get nothing of value because of low drop rates and insanely low stat ranges on ilvl 63 gear.

Agreed, I would be pleasantly surprised if we see patch 1.1 in 2012.
    so much "Wait an see what have planned" bullshit from him.
    we allready know that legenderies will be buffed, we know pvp is comming.
    and we even know that class balancing is just around the corner.

so with that in hand what he has confirmed for us is

They were suprised about the problems at launch.
    Well fuck me sidways with a cactus ! Even blind Sherlock Holmes could have seen that comming.

They are introducing somthing new for end game. (im interested in seeing what)
    And how long before the forums explode with people bitching about this.

"We are also committed to ensuring you have a great experience with Diablo III without feeling like the auction house is mandatory, which was never our intention."
    It may never have been the intention, but how many players have never used the AH (to sell or buy) Of course the AH is mandatory, theres no way around it. and Blizzard know this.

Honestly, he has blown so much smoke up peoples ass's with this post I find it difficult to belive that he has not sat behind his desk and though " I better make a post about somthing to distract people from all the fuckup's in the game" and guess what, it worked, people lapping it up like a cat would drink fresh cream.
    Quote from Ruppgu

Quote from Seditiar

I really hate to say this, but sometimes the truth isn't exactly popular.

What D3 needs most is for people who talk about "endgame" and mean it in any sense that's remotely related to WoW or any MMO to simply quit and go back to WoW, ToR, Rift, etc. And it needs the eSports superheroes to go back to WoW and SC2 and let Diablo be the slow, steady, grind.

The sooner the eHeroes go back to doing whatever it is they do... making "Save Shifty" videos or some shit... the sooner the Diablo players will get changes that are relevant to them.

Is it possible that drop rates need to be further adjusted to make the item hunt enjoyable? Of course, it's always a possibility and I'll certainly not rule that out. But, like you said - the item hunt IS the endgame. And it's sad that issues like that get drowned out by people begging for infinite dungeons, or a 5th difficulty level, or hero points, or whatever.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    A gauntlet-style dungeon, each stage gets harder, has a ladder to compete on.

Each stage should give a MF buff as a reward. Depending on difficulty of stages as low as 1% or X% every X stages.
    A chest at the end of each stage that is actually worth while.

@Shaggy (above me) you need to stop thinking of "end game" as what "end game" means in wow, end game just means something to do at max level. Admittedly d2 didn't have much of an end game (I played D2HCL, so I can't speak for softcore) but it took a while to hit max level, so end game really started around 70 and didn't end unless you didn't die and actually reached 99, in which case you would probably reroll or pvp.

If it makes you feel better, think about level 70 in d2 as level 60 on d3, and 71-99 on d2 as the 'gauntlet' or 'endless mode' or whatever.
    Quote from Sigma

so much "Wait an see what have planned" bullshit from him.
    we allready know that legenderies will be buffed, we know pvp is comming.
    and we even know that class balancing is just around the corner.

so with that in hand what he has confirmed for us is

They were suprised about the problems at launch.
    Well fuck me sidways with a cactus ! Even blind Sherlock Holmes could have seen that comming.

They are introducing somthing new for end game. (im interested in seeing what)
    And how long before the forums explode with people bitching about this.

"We are also committed to ensuring you have a great experience with Diablo III without feeling like the auction house is mandatory, which was never our intention."
    It may never have been the intention, but how many players have never used the AH (to sell or buy) Of course the AH is mandatory, theres no way around it. and Blizzard know this.

Honestly, he has blown so much smoke up peoples ass's with this post I find it difficult to belive that he has not sat behind his desk and though " I better make a post about somthing to distract people from all the fuckup's in the game" and guess what, it worked, people lapping it up like a cat would drink fresh cream.

Well, there's always the optimistic people, who are never displeased with Blizzard. For those people they wouldn't even need to make a blue post. Like I said, it's pretty much a big blue post, with all the blue posts from last two weeks compiled and thrown back in our face. The only thing that was new for me, is the confirmation that legendaries will be buffed with 1.0.4.
    Quote from Miv

Each stage should give a MF buff as a reward. Depending on difficulty of stages as low as 1% or X% every X stages.

@Shaggy (above me) you need to stop thinking of "end game" as what "end game" means in wow, end game just means something to do at max level. Admittedly d2 didn't have much of an end game (I played D2HCL, so I can't speak for softcore) but it took a while to hit max level, so end game really started around 70 and didn't end unless you didn't die and actually reached 99, in which case you would probably reroll or pvp.

If it makes you feel better, think about level 70 in d2 as level 60 on d3, and 71-99 on d2 as the 'gauntlet' or 'endless mode' or whatever.

My point is that in D2 *everyone* could play the "endgame." Frankly, the way people (at least Kripparian and Athene) talk about "endgame" in regards to D3 it's obvious they want an "elite only" playground. That is why I have pause for concern when people lob that term around so casually.

Could D3 use an event like Uber Tristram? Sure. Does it need it NOW? No, absolutely not. And I do think Blizzard understands that.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from Miv

My point is that in D2 *everyone* could play the "endgame." Frankly, the way people (at least Kripparian and Athene) talk about "endgame" in regards to D3 it's obvious they want an "elite only" playground. That is why I have pause for concern when people lob that term around so casually.

Could D3 use an event like Uber Tristram? Sure. Does it need it NOW? No, absolutely not. And I do think Blizzard understands that.

I would like the "end game" to be designed like diablo 2 was, but it would require a drastic rework of the game, so we have to settle for something else. I don't think it should be elite exclusive but most likely because it's blizzard it will be overturned and initially be "elite only." I didn't play diablo 2 exclusively for the loot, I farmed the loot to help me grind the ladder, and I definitly don't want wow style loot brought to d3, I like the rng of it--It's the combination of things, but loot farming by itself is and feels pointless because what are we farming the loot for? To farm more loot?
    Quote from Seditiar

Quote from Sigma
    <Snip>

Well, there's always the optimistic people, who are never displeased with Blizzard. For those people they wouldn't even need to make a blue post. Like I said, it's pretty much a big blue post, with all the blue posts from last two weeks compiled and thrown back in our face. The only thing that was new for me, is the confirmation that legendaries will be buffed with 1.0.4.

Indeed it is a large Blue post, and not an unwelcome one I should add, However what was covered could have easily been covered by one of the CM's. When a Co-Founder / President of a company makes a post then I expect it to contain somthing more than an almost compleat recount of everything that is already in the public domain. The only thing that came as any sort of suprise was the the annoucment of an alternative to the item hunt end game.

I would have been more impressed if he had admitted that there was some very serious issues with the game at the moment and they are unaware of how to fix it (run away inflation for example). Maybe even some sort of feed back from blizzard regarding the 100's of other issues that people are having.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes