Auction House - Bid War Tutorial

awfull vid. everybody with a smartphone just get a stopwatch addon and your sorted way easyer
    This is not even a tutorial its just you bidding on an item. Wtf? What a timewaste vid.
    Quote from Aion_NL

awfull vid. everybody with a smartphone just get a stopwatch addon and your sorted way easyer

If you watched the video, he said his cellphone was sorted, so it can be assumed he was using his cellphone as a stopwatch.
    I don't understand the purpose of this tutorial. AH got a function of max bid, which means there is like no point in waiting till last second and bidding because if someone already put max bid then he is safe, it's not like you can steal something. And you just proved that in your video btw, aka you failed with buying the item.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

I don't understand the purpose of this tutorial. AH got a function of max bid, which means there is like no point in waiting till last second and bidding because if someone already put max bid then he is safe, it's not like you can steal something. And you just proved that in your video btw, aka you failed with buying the item.

huh? if someone put higher bid than you, refresh the AH and put higher bid 2 seconds before expiration and you win >.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

Snipe bidding is the best way to not give the other bidders time to react and it will make you pay the least. If you overbid him 10 minutes before the end, he can think about "do i really want to up my bid" and he will maybe try to do this or at least try to see how much u have put in the bet. If you bid in the last possible second he simply cannot react to your bid. Bidding early is just giving away information.
    Yes, but anyone who wants item for real just gonna put his max bid, and you won't win anything for biding in last second. At least all better items are won this way - you put max bid you are willing to pay for an item.
    Quote from Gnarf

Quote from Kblavkalash

huh? if someone put higher bid than you, refresh the AH and put higher bid 2 seconds before expiration and you win >.

Wrong.

You have the option to put in a MAXIMUM bid that you are willing to pay for an item. That means if you put in a max bid of say 2 mil on an item, where the CURRENT bid is at 1 mil, then someone tries to snipe bid 1.3 mil in the last 2-3 sec, you will AUTOMATICALLY bid higher by the minimum amount over the other person's 1.3 mil bid.

The only time snipe bidding actually works is if the current bid = the maximum bid on the item, which is extremely rare now.
    Quote from Lylz

Quote from Gnarf

Quote from Kblavkalash

Wrong.

You have the option to put in a MAXIMUM bid that you are willing to pay for an item. That means if you put in a max bid of say 2 mil on an item, where the CURRENT bid is at 1 mil, then someone tries to snipe bid 1.3 mil in the last 2-3 sec, you will AUTOMATICALLY bid higher by the minimum amount over the other person's 1.3 mil bid.

The only time snipe bidding actually works is if the current bid = the maximum bid on the item, which is extremely rare now.

Exactly, it would work maybe only on items which are very uncommon and like no one is looking for them, otherwise all good items are tracked and max bids are set.
    Quote from Lylz

Quote from Gnarf

Quote from Kblavkalash

Wrong.

True story.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

Yes, but anyone who wants item for real just gonna put his max bid, and you won't win anything for biding in last second. At least all better items are won this way - you put max bid you are willing to pay for an item.

Just not true. I write my bachelor thesis on snipe bidding and it's just by far the superior method to win auctions. I could go on and write some pages about this topic but to keep it short: it's the best way and a very high amount of items are won that way. Proxy-bidding second price auctions are almost never won by a person who put in a bidding early, because it's stupid to do so and just ineffective.

Obviously if someone put a retarded amount of money on an item extremely early, he wins the auction.
    Quote from DuriDurlag

Quote from Kblavkalash

Just not true. I write my bachelor thesis on snipe bidding and it's just by far the superior method to win auctions. I could go on and write some pages about this topic but to keep it short: it's the best way and a very high amount of items are won that way. Proxy-bidding second price auctions are almost never won by a person who put in a bidding early, because it's stupid to do so and just ineffective.

Obviously if someone put a retarded amount of money on an item extremely early, he wins the auction.

I don't get.

I mean there is an awesome item with very low current bid. So what do I (or most other people) do? They put their maximum bid on that item, and no matter when you bid - early or on last seconds - you won't win unless you overbid my maximum bid. That's how most of good items are won.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

Quote from DuriDurlag

Quote from Kblavkalash

I don't get.

I mean there is an awesome item with very low current bid. So what do I (or most other people) do? They put their maximum bid on that item, and no matter when you bid - early or on last seconds - you won't win unless you overbid my maximum bid. That's how most of good items are won.

ok I'll write you some lines here:

- First of all some statistics on ebay (as diablo3 uses the same auction procedure): 85% of all bids on ebay are being made in the last 10 minutes of an auction. around 50% even in the last minute

- 2 examples from my own snipe bidding experience:
    1.) I wanted to snipe a helmet on the auction house. Deadline was 4am in the morning so i thought "there cant be many other bidders". The Helmet was constantly on 6.3M during the last 10 hours of the auction till 1 minute left on the timer. I was not using a stopwatch so i missed the last seconds by a bit (i guess i bid @something like 10 seconds to go) and was in the lead @ around 11-12M, so i basically sniped the auction but then got outsniped by someone who was using a stopwatch in the last second of the auction putting the helmet @14M

2.) I put on a helmet on the auction house with a starting bid of 5M. during the first 24 hours of the auction, no one bid on this helmet. Then the helmet went to a 20M bet which lasted until 7 minutes before the deadline ended. During those last 7 minutes the bet increased to around 37M winning bet. (was not present during those last 7 minutes)

So you can see with those 2 examples, that there was a significant increase in the winning bet during those last minutes and specifically during this last minute of the auction. In the first example i am also sure, that the proxy bidder did not win, because i was in the lead for a short period.

- Proxy bidding is not good because you can't use the gold in the meantime. You basically have to put on 40M on some items for a long period of time while you can't do anything with that money. This is especially interesting in diablo3 because most people don't sit on a bank of hundreds of millions.

- Proxy bidders have problems guessing the value of items because sometimes they are not really comparable and therefore it's hard to know how much you have to bid. Snipe bidders can just look at the current bid and think about their privat value of the item and bid this privat value. With this method they can also achieve quite some discounts on the item because they don't give the proxy bidders time to react to their bet. And as said proxy bidder have to guess the endprice. If they are willing to pay their personal value right away, again there is no reason to do so, because they will pay more with proxy bidding than with you paying this amount 1 second before auction ends

I could go one some things like stability issues which encourage proxy bidding a bit but I think that will go to deep in some scientific stuff.
    This video is actually very poorly put together. There are way more efficient ways to win a bid than what this guy is doing, not to mention he seems ignorant to how pricing works as far as the stat weighings on this item.
    ~He put the 2% chance to fear on hit as an affix. How effective is this really even in PvP? That item probably isn't worth much more than 30m.
    ~He refreshes the bid from going back and forth in the pages. This takes probably 5x as long as using the little bid menu that blizzard puts under the sell tab. If you scroll your mouse, it refreshes the time.
    ~Using a stopwatch 5-10 minutes ahead of time to make sure you're within a 5 second threshold is key. If you can get it perfectly on your stopwatch from when the bid will end, you can easily snipe someone worry-free in the last 3 seconds of the auction.
    ~The key to getting the item is putting the maximum amount you're willing to spend. You will earn the difference back from the next highest bidder if it isn't yourself. Example:
    Current highest bid is 1.4m.
    Joe schmoe bids 4m.
    You bid 10m.
    You will get the item AND 6m from the difference between what you were willing to pay and the next highest bidder was willing to pay.

SAVE YOURSELF 3 MINS AND DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO. USELESS.

On a side note, most of your other content is okay.
    AH timer is screwed.

I was hunting on an axe for 2 days and today's morning auction was suppossed to end so i tried to bid when it changed from 2m to <1m and i got error message telling me that item is no longer available because aution expired :o
    Quote from DuriDurlag

Quote from Kblavkalash

Quote from DuriDurlag

Quote from Kblavkalash

I don't get.

ok I'll write you some lines here:

- First of all some statistics on ebay (as diablo3 uses the same auction procedure): 85% of all bids on ebay are being made in the last 10 minutes of an auction. around 50% even in the last minute

- 2 examples from my own snipe bidding experience:
    1.) I wanted to snipe a helmet on the auction house. Deadline was 4am in the morning so i thought "there cant be many other bidders". The Helmet was constantly on 6.3M during the last 10 hours of the auction till 1 minute left on the timer. I was not using a stopwatch so i missed the last seconds by a bit (i guess i bid @something like 10 seconds to go) and was in the lead @ around 11-12M, so i basically sniped the auction but then got outsniped by someone who was using a stopwatch in the last second of the auction putting the helmet @14M

2.) I put on a helmet on the auction house with a starting bid of 5M. during the first 24 hours of the auction, no one bid on this helmet. Then the helmet went to a 20M bet which lasted until 7 minutes before the deadline ended. During those last 7 minutes the bet increased to around 37M winning bet. (was not present during those last 7 minutes)

So you can see with those 2 examples, that there was a significant increase in the winning bet during those last minutes and specifically during this last minute of the auction. In the first example i am also sure, that the proxy bidder did not win, because i was in the lead for a short period.

- Proxy bidding is not good because you can't use the gold in the meantime. You basically have to put on 40M on some items for a long period of time while you can't do anything with that money. This is especially interesting in diablo3 because most people don't sit on a bank of hundreds of millions.

- Proxy bidders have problems guessing the value of items because sometimes they are not really comparable and therefore it's hard to know how much you have to bid. Snipe bidders can just look at the current bid and think about their privat value of the item and bid this privat value. With this method they can also achieve quite some discounts on the item because they don't give the proxy bidders time to react to their bet. And as said proxy bidder have to guess the endprice. If they are willing to pay their personal value right away, again there is no reason to do so, because they will pay more with proxy bidding than with you paying this amount 1 second before auction ends

I could go one some things like stability issues which encourage proxy bidding a bit but I think that will go to deep in some scientific stuff.

What you say is correct, and i agree that it's not worth freezing money on early auction, but still my point stands that most good items which are more or less common usually has maximum bids set on them.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

What you say is correct, and i agree that it's not worth freezing money on early auction, but still my point stands that most good items which are more or less common usually has maximum bids set on them.

Usually the buyout price is way too high, when you cannot afford the highest bid, sniping can give you hope to get it, but you forget something important about snipe bid, it's a way to save money/gold. Bidding your entire wallet when you could save some is also stupid and bidding minutes ahead inflate the price, when what matter is being the highest at the last second, at the best price.
    It can save you some milllions or not :)
    fuck snipe bidding, i hope they change the timer to "
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes