Please, help me understand how bidding on the Auction House works

I was talking to my friends about bidding on the Auction house, but we couldn't agree how it really worked. Can you please, if you can, help me answering these questions?

1. I have 4M gold. An item had 500k minmum bid. Someone bids 1M. I bid 2M. Will everybody see the current bid as 2M or 1.05M?

2. Same situation as in question 1. If noone else bids, do I pay 2M or 1.05M for the item?

3. I have 4kk gold. I find an item with 1M minimum bid. I bid 2M. If noone else bids, do I pay 1M or 2M?

4. I put an item on the auction house. In the first 5 minutes I can cancel the item, but is the item listed in those 5 minutes.

5. I have 3M. I bid 1M on an item. I want to raise my own bid, is there anyway for me to raise it to 3M? (Other than waiting for someone else/a friend outbidding me so I will get my 1M back)

Hope someone can help me.
    --Sennap
    I can only answer 4, the rest I don't know about:

I believe the message that pops up when you list an item states that the item is not shown on the AH in the first 5 minutes, when you can cancel it. Check that message when listing an item.

At the very least, I never sell an item in those first 5 minutes, but items can sell almost as soon as it expires.
    I might me mistaken, but here is how I think it works

1. Everyone else will see the 1.05kk bid. The reason I believe that, is if you bid on an item sometimes, it says that your bid wasn't high enough. And the bid you put up on the item will be the new current bid, but you will not be the winner.

2. You'll pay the 1.05kk and the 950k refunded.

3. I'm not sure how it works on the minimum bid, but as in question 2, you'll only pay your winning bid sum, rest will get refunded upon winning the item.

4. I'm not sure. But Kisho could be right, I haven't really paid attention to the message.

5. As far as I know, you have to be outbid to be able to get your gold back.
    Tziera got it right I believe. I have also personally bidded 100k more to be sure to get the item and approximately 85k was refuned when I won it--meaning out of those 100k was 15k minimum bid increase and the rest was reserve if anybody outbid it.
    Quote from Sennap

I was talking to my friends about bidding on the Auction house, but we couldn't agree how it really worked. Can you please, if you can, help me answering these questions?

1. I have 4kk gold. An item had 500k minmum bid. Someone bids 1kk. I bid 2kk. Will everybody see the current bid as 2kk or 1.05kk?

2. Same situation as in question 1. If noone else bids, do I pay 2kk or 1.05kk for the item?

3. I have 4kk gold. I find an item with 1kk minimum bid. I bid 2kk. If noone else bids, do I pay 1kk or 2kk?

4. I put an item on the auction house. In the first 5 minutes I can cancel the item, but is the item listed in those 5 minutes.

5. I have 3kk. I bid 1kk on an item. I want to raise my own bid, is there anyway for me to raise it to 3kk? (Other than waiting for someone else/a friend outbidding me so I will get my 1kk back)

1kk = 1M(illion)

1)Current bid = max of all bids. If someone outbids the rest, his bid becomes the current, and the lowest you can bid, is above what he bidded.
    2)If you win, you pay nothing. You pay the moment you place the bid. If you get outbidded, your moeny is refunded. If you win, you have already paid the price when you bidded.
    3)Read 2
    4)Yes it is listed. If you cancel it, other people's bids are refunded. If it gets bbought by buy out, I think you can't cancel it.
    5)When you press bid, a window pops, writing the minimum possible bid value. If you want, you can change it to whatever you want. If you set it lower, you will get an error message.

Note: When you search for an item, you see the current bid at the time you searched/changed page. The bid may have very well changed from that time. When you try to bid the minimum value you will get an error message. In order to refresh it, search again or change pages.
    Please do not use "kk" (kilo kilo, wtf?), it makes you look illiterate. Use "M" instead for million (or mega (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega-))
    Quote from fer

Please do not use "kk" (kilo kilo, wtf?), it makes you look illiterate. Use "M" instead for million (or mega (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega-))

The kk was getting awfully confusing/irritating thanks for that

-Signed - Grammatical Maths Nerd
    RaidenFreeman: Are you sure your answers are true? I used to think it worked like you described but I've been hearing it works like Tziera and baron01 said. I guess I just to test this to be sure.

Fer/Rethical: I'm sorry, I will replace those with a M.
    Quote from Tziera

I might me mistaken, but here is how I think it works

1. Everyone else will see the 1.05kk bid. The reason I believe that, is if you bid on an item sometimes, it says that your bid wasn't high enough. And the bid you put up on the item will be the new current bid, but you will not be the winner.

2. You'll pay the 1.05kk and the 950k refunded.

3. I'm not sure how it works on the minimum bid, but as in question 2, you'll only pay your winning bid sum, rest will get refunded upon winning the item.

4. I'm not sure. But Kisho could be right, I haven't really paid attention to the message.

5. As far as I know, you have to be outbid to be able to get your gold back.

1. everyone see a highest bid. if its not lagging
    2. you'll pay a bid you have put. nothing refunded. ever
    3. right
    4.-5. no idea

also you should know that there are plenty of people bidding on same piece of gear so you can get outbid instantly
    and also there are many bot scripts that outbid you like 0.001 sec before auction ends
    :trollface:
    Just tested #1, the right answer is 1.05M (and now I will just instantly outbid anyone who bids ~1.1M-2M on that item). Hopefully no one will outbid me so I can verify that I get a refund for the difference.

Regarding #5 I think the answer is not, it least I tried to find anyway but it is pretty much impossible, best way is to get a friend to bid once and then outbid him. While testing this I found out that outbidding yourself will raise the current bid. For exemple:
    Minimum bid is 1M. I bid 2M (Now the current bid would be 1.05M). Then, I want to outbid myself and bid 4M. The current bid will now be 2.1M.
    Quote from RaidenFreeman
    4)Yes it is listed. If you cancel it, other people's bids are refunded. If it gets bbought by buy out, I think you can't cancel it.
    The box that pops up when you list an auction says you have five minutes to cancel it before the item is listed and searchable on the auction house. So no, it's not there during those five minutes. You have to wait before it gets listed.

Personally I always thought you pay what you bid, but if other people are saying they get refunded the difference for weapon/armor auctions then I guess you do get refunded. Keep in mind that if they're referring to commodity auctions, then they would be right about those kind of auctions. You absolutely do get refunded the difference if there's a cheaper sale within X minutes after you buy a commodity.
    Quote from fer

lol wtf does that have to do with illiteracy? I mean I have never seen it referred to as ''kk'' either.
    Quote from paroxysm2010

Quote from fer

lol wtf does that have to do with illiteracy? I mean I have never seen it referred to as ''kk'' either.
    I always just thought of it as thousand thousand, which is six zeroes, which is a million. It's still incorrect though. Even using M (as Mega) is kinda odd, since you aren't using it as a prefix to a unit abbreviation. I just like to say "mil."
    Quote from Sennap

1. I have 4M gold. An item had 500k minmum bid. Someone bids 1M. I bid 2M. Will everybody see the current bid as 2M or 1.05M?

2. Same situation as in question 1. If noone else bids, do I pay 2M or 1.05M for the item?

3. I have 4kk gold. I find an item with 1M minimum bid. I bid 2M. If noone else bids, do I pay 1M or 2M?

5. I have 3M. I bid 1M on an item. I want to raise my own bid, is there anyway for me to raise it to 3M? (Other than waiting for someone else/a friend outbidding me so I will get my 1M back)

Hope someone can help me.
    --Sennap

1: 1.05
    2: 1.05 and you get the rest refunded back in completed tab
    3: again, 1m
    4: no
    5: If you reraise your own bid you bid against yourself, don't do it.
    Quote from phoulmouth

5: If you reraise your own bid you bid against yourself, don't do it.

That's it essentially.

If you said before "I'm willing to pay up to 3m for this item" (pretending it's worth 10m buyout), and the current bid is at 1m, you'll be putting 1.05m on the item and telling the AH "look, if anyone places a 1.5m bet, here's the money to cover it".

Now what happens sometimes is that you see your own maximum bid and it's kinda crappy, and you don't wanna risk losing it to another buyer who's waiting to snipe your item (and to snipe, he must have an idea of what's the maximum bid you put).

So imagine in that example you had 2m as the "maximum bid" but you know there's someone else interested in the item (because you outbid them in the 1st place, and they will try to sniper it for more than 2m because it's such a good deal) and just to be safe you wanna raise the maximum to 3m, thinking that the other guy "will never go that far to get this item", you'll be basically increasing the paying amount to slightly above your previous maximum bid (which would be 2.1m or 2.05m in this 2nd example).

Lesson of the day, always bid as low as possible, even if it's not enough to outbid the other guy, then go for a snipe in the last minute by bidding the maximum you would pay on said item. Whatever is left over (from overbidding) will be returned to you, and even if you can't snipe, at least you know you went to your limit.

Hope it helped.
    So here is the situation.
    Today there was an item I wanted.
    The bid was 2m, the buyout 40m. I wanted to pay as much as 20m for it.
    I bid 2.5. Someone else 3m. I bid 4m. Then he bid 6m. Everytimes I would get my money back so I can bid more.
    Then I bidded 19m. After, the bid went to 6.5m..? Once the bid finished, I got 12.5m back.

That's kinda strange...? no?

1) Do people see the biggest bid?
    2) If so, can someone bid less than the maximum bid, not knowing the maximum bid?
    3) If not then that mean I could have bid 39.999.999 golds after the first 3m bid from the other guy and then he could only buyout the item, and then I get a free item for 3m?

I'm confused...
    Quote from HellStewie

So here is the situation.
    Today there was an item I wanted.
    The bid was 2m, the buyout 40m. I wanted to pay as much as 20m for it.
    I bid 2.5. Someone else 3m. I bid 4m. Then he bid 6m. Everytimes I would get my money back so I can bid more.
    Then I bidded 19m. After, the bid went to 6.5m..? Once the bid finished, I got 12.5m back.

That's kinda strange...? no?

1) Do people see the biggest bid?
    2) If so, can someone bid less than the maximum bid, not knowing the maximum bid?
    3) If not then that mean I could have bid 39.999.999 golds after the first 3m bid from the other guy and then he could only buyout the item, and then I get a free item for 3m?

I'm confused...

1) No.
    2) ^
    3) No. If you bid 39.9M the bid stays at 2M first. Someone else bids minimum increase, he gets outbid by you immediately since you've basically told the system that here's the money, outbid everyone until 39.9M is reached. So you pay a maximum of 39.9M and minimum of what everyone else has bid on the item.

So the other guy can bid more after 3 million, but since you've already given almost 40 million to the AH clerk (so to speak), he'll first accept the other guy's bid, check the system and see your money, increase the current bid to 3m+minimum increase and return the money to the other guy, up until 39.999M or whatever you bid yourself.
    Ebay does the same thing.

say the mininmum bid is 500k, you bid 2 mil, now everyone that bids with automatically get out bid up to 2mil, but if you win the auction at 1.2mil you will be refunded the 800k.

It is a really wierd system, but alot of people do not know about it, so they simply think they got outbid, and fratically get there money back, refresh and go to bid again only...they are basically bidding against themselves.
    I just want a little bit of tenderness :(

How hard is it to understand? You put a roof bid which allows you to go do other things but sit and raise, re-raise, tripple raise in the last 2 minutes like other idiots who don't understand how it works.

Item is listed the first 5mins, this is one of the tricks you can use to avoid 10 item listing.

You can see it yourself when you sell for example dusts off the AH..
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes