Chrome Extension - Diablo 3 Toolbox

Quote from Impala

Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from Impala

C'mon over 350 views and only 2 replies? I'm not begging for attention but I just wonder if you guys:
    -don't trust my work (which I fully understand)
    -tell me how to get this thing more trustworthy
    -don't like it
    -don't need it
    -don't have Chrome

I think this is a very cool extension, and I use chrome. I won't use it, because while it's cool, it's not worth the potential security compromise.

As for making it more trustworthy, I'm not sure... You say there is nothing transmitted to a remote server, but if you're logging into battle.net or anything else, that is exactly transmitting to a remote server... I would suggest a version that doesn't require any sort of login...

-Alamar

Well that's the point: It doesn't require a login. The dependency of *.battle.net is just to look at the server status, as seen here:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/de/status

Let me explain it a bit further:
    Chrome Extensions have security restrictions by default, which mean that you have to ask the user for which domains the user is allowed to access remotely.

As the server status is on us.battle.net (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/status) or eu.battle.net, I'm asking for the permission to access *.battle.net.

Without the permission I would not be granted any access to the server status and no, you don't have to be logged-in in order to see that status.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion/ignorance... I'm using it now : )

-Alamar
    Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from Impala

Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from Impala

C'mon over 350 views and only 2 replies? I'm not begging for attention but I just wonder if you guys:
    -don't trust my work (which I fully understand)
    -tell me how to get this thing more trustworthy
    -don't like it
    -don't need it
    -don't have Chrome

I think this is a very cool extension, and I use chrome. I won't use it, because while it's cool, it's not worth the potential security compromise.

As for making it more trustworthy, I'm not sure... You say there is nothing transmitted to a remote server, but if you're logging into battle.net or anything else, that is exactly transmitting to a remote server... I would suggest a version that doesn't require any sort of login...

-Alamar

Well that's the point: It doesn't require a login. The dependency of *.battle.net is just to look at the server status, as seen here:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/de/status

Let me explain it a bit further:
    Chrome Extensions have security restrictions by default, which mean that you have to ask the user for which domains the user is allowed to access remotely.

As the server status is on us.battle.net (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/status) or eu.battle.net, I'm asking for the permission to access *.battle.net.

Without the permission I would not be granted any access to the server status and no, you don't have to be logged-in in order to see that status.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion/ignorance... I'm using it now : )

-Alamar

Glad to hear that :) Its neither ignorance nor confusion, just security consideration which I can fully understand.
    Looks very nice, installing it now!
    Looks legit, too bad I only use mozilla. I'm not a fan of Google, catering to shareholders and all.
    For the date format, can you add a "m.d.y 24h" option for us USAfags?
    Quote from Impala

Quote from maka

Hey, Impala, does it update automatically or do I have to do it manually? Oh, and what exactly did you change from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4?

You should be able to update via Chrome's Extension manager (chrome://chrome/extensions). There is a button for updating your extensions.

As for the Changelog:
    http://www.diablofan...ox/#entry939171

Thanks, man. Good stuff.
    Quote from Urumii

Noted and will be added in a future patch. I always thought you had a 12h format?
    Quote from ab0ve

Looks legit, too bad I only use mozilla. I'm not a fan of Google, catering to shareholders and all.

As I've already mentioned: If I get enough positive response of the users, I might consider converting it to Firefox. But as I've stated as well, Firefox development is 2-3x times slower, at least for me.
    looks great good job man

i cant wait for the API to come out so I can make android apps for $$ :D
    Quote from Impala

Quote from Urumii

Noted and will be added in a future patch. I always thought you had a 12h format?

I use 24h, most people use 12h though.

Editing so I don't have a double post; When using dual monitors, and having chrome on the right screen, the toast window pops up on the left screen no matter what placement option I choose. Any way to make the toast window popup according to where chrome is?
    Seems like a nice plugin and could/would save me some time looking on sites for the latest info, but im firefox user ;)
    Quote from Urumii

Editing so I don't have a double post; When using dual monitors, and having chrome on the right screen, the toast window pops up on the left screen no matter what placement option I choose. Any way to make the toast window popup according to where chrome is?

I will look into that.

Quote from moped1337

Seems like a nice plugin and could/would save me some time looking on sites for the latest info, but im firefox user ;)

Maybe in the future, but Firefox is not my most-beloved development environment :)
    New version is online. Please use the Chrome Extension Updater.

Just as a reminder:
    I would be happy to get some wishes and feature requests, as well as translations. That would be great.
    Wow this is so good!

Great work m8! +1
    "War is created, peace is obtained"

‎"Inferno difficulty is very, very, very hard. Internally we had this super hardcore test team, and we got it to the point where they thought it was challenging enough. And then we doubled it." - Jay Wilson
    Looks good thanks!

Just a heads up that its pretty broken on Chrome Canary on OSX 10.7, but your probably aware :)
    Thank you for your work, but I don't understand those tech stuff you wrote on prev page much and still have some concerns about security. So what would earn my trust? A few posts explaining what is happening within the extension other than OP's would be helpful. Please don't take it personally Impala, I appreciate your work and it is probably clean, but you know the Internet world today and what it costs us unless we act careless.

I will be following topic.
    Hey amazing addon im using it atm

can u possibly make one for FireFox ?:P

pretty please :P
    Just downloaded. Thanks for your work! :)
    Quote from Lynkeus

Thank you for your work, but I don't understand those tech stuff you wrote on prev page much and still have some concerns about security. So what would earn my trust? A few posts explaining what is happening within the extension other than OP's would be helpful. Please don't take it personally Impala, I appreciate your work and it is probably clean, but you know the Internet world today and what it costs us unless we act careless.

I will be following topic.

What he means is that when a Chrome extension accesses a website, it requires permission from the user first. This means, for example, an extension can't grab child pron and get you in trouble without you knowing.

This does not necessarily mean that he needs the ability to log into your battle.net or diablofans account...

...however, the request from the extension is:
    Your data on battle.net, diablofans.com, and twitter.com
    +
    Your tabs and browsing activity

With this coupling, I will not personally guarantee you're safe. To me this can be interpreted as being able to read your account info if you happen to open your profile with the extension running. Doesn't mean it will or even can, but it certainly sounds a lot scarier than simply being able to access those domains independent of your personal browsing.

Note however that if you have AdBlock installed, you are already trusting one stranger with far more access than this guy. ;)
    Downloaded and installed your plugin, it's nice for seeing whether there are any exciting headlines on Diablofans in a flash.

Also, congratulations on reaching the front page!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes