Chrome Extension - Diablo 3 Toolbox

Current Version: 1.0.6.1 (13.10.2012)

I just finished my Chrome Extension for Diablo 3 and wanted to share it with the community. Here is the official description, download link and screenshots:

Description:

This extension allows you to centrally view all Diablo 3-related information at one place. Here is a feature overview:

-Check the server status (Game, Gold, RMAH, Hardcore)
    -Display Game-Login Messages
    -Blizzard Customer Support Tweets
    -diablofans.com News Reader
    -Popup upon new Game Login messages (optional)
    -Support for all three regions (America, Europe, Asia)
    -German and English

The extension will ask you for access to Battle.net, Twitter and diablofans.com. This is only to check the server status, tweets and latest news feeds. Nothing else. There are no external servers involved (everything runs in your browser rather than via a server) and no statistical data are collected.

In conclusion: Nothing is transmitted at all.

Installation:
    You can find the extension here: https://chrome.googl...lggjiiakhbpanpf

After successful installation you will be prompted with the option page and have to setup and save it once.

After that you will see a red icon near the wrench icon. It will be filled with other icons, depending on which services are available:

-Coins: Gold AH
    -Money: RMAH
    -Diablo-Icon: Game Server
    -Exclamation Mark: New login message

You can setup which currency you use, as well which game server's status (Softcore/Hardcore).

You will get the tweets and feed if you click on the app icon near chromes wrench-icon.

Screenshots:

Additional Information:
    I just wanted to say that there is absolutely nothing transmitted to any remote server (uplink). I constructed the extension so that everything happens in your browser, not remotely.

I'm an enthusiast gamer myself and am very concerned about security.

http://mac.softpedia...3-Toolbox.shtml

Happy testing :)
    Changelog
    1.0.6.2:
    -FIXED: Server status stopped working

1.0.6.1:
    -Twitter API Update

1.0.6:
    -minor and major bugfixes
    -works with Canary Build now
    -redesigned the option page (better extendable)
    -Danish translation (thanks Michael Jakobsen)
    -Swedish translation (thanks Christian Berg)
    -Possibility to deactivate certain feeds

1.0.5:
    -Small Bugfixes
    -Chrome 18 is now required
    -Date format extended

1.0.4:
    -added the option to display a notification whenever the server went offline and reappears online again
    -bugfixing
    Looks awesome, going to download it tonight when I'm home from work :) Nice job
    Wow, GJ!

I wish i could do something like that! Man, it sux being mediocre...

One cannot simply judge the archangel of justice.....
    C'mon over 350 views and only 2 replies? I'm not begging for attention but I just wonder if you guys:
    -don't trust my work (which I fully understand)
    -tell me how to get this thing more trustworthy
    -don't like it
    -don't need it
    -don't have Chrome
    Great extension, I was wondering if you'd be able to add Toast notifications about specific things such as when a server goes offline/online?
    Quote from Ryude

Great extension, I was wondering if you'd be able to add Toast notifications about specific things such as when a server goes offline/online?

Of course that's possible :)
    seems to be a pretty nice extension for chrome, but due to me using firefox, it ain't of much use to me.
    probably... if.. you could... u know.. *blink* ;)
    Nice, gonna give it a shot when I get home
    Cool stuff dude. People can at least give the guy a +rep for his effort; whether you are using it or not!! :Thumbs Up:

Edit: The question mark help next to Interval is in German...when English is selected.
    Quote from boomhauer

seems to be a pretty nice extension for chrome, but due to me using firefox, it ain't of much use to me.
    probably... if.. you could... u know.. *blink* ;)

The problem is that Mozilla development is at least 2-3 times slower as for Chrome :( At least for me. I may port it to Firefox if I get more response from the users. It just have to make sense and my resources are limited, I did this in my spare time :)
    But you could... you know... just give Chrome a try *blink*

Quote from JaundiceBunny

Cool stuff dude. People can at least give the guy a +rep for his effort; whether you are using it or not!! :Thumbs Up:

Edit: The question mark help next to Interval is in German...when English is selected.

Quote from Impala

C'mon over 350 views and only 2 replies? I'm not begging for attention but I just wonder if you guys:
    -don't like it
    -don't need it
    -don't have Chrome

I think this is a very cool extension, and I use chrome. I won't use it, because while it's cool, it's not worth the potential security compromise.

As for making it more trustworthy, I'm not sure... You say there is nothing transmitted to a remote server, but if you're logging into battle.net or anything else, that is exactly transmitting to a remote server... I would suggest a version that doesn't require any sort of login...

-Alamar
    Very nice, man. +1
    Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from Impala

-don't like it
    -don't need it
    -don't have Chrome

I think this is a very cool extension, and I use chrome. I won't use it, because while it's cool, it's not worth the potential security compromise.

As for making it more trustworthy, I'm not sure... You say there is nothing transmitted to a remote server, but if you're logging into battle.net or anything else, that is exactly transmitting to a remote server... I would suggest a version that doesn't require any sort of login...

-Alamar

Well that's the point: It doesn't require a login. The dependency of *.battle.net is just to look at the server status, as seen here:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/de/status

Let me explain it a bit further:
    Chrome Extensions have security restrictions by default, which mean that you have to ask the user for which domains the user is allowed to access remotely.

As the server status is on us.battle.net (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/status) or eu.battle.net, I'm asking for the permission to access *.battle.net.

Without the permission I would not be granted any access to the server status and no, you don't have to be logged-in in order to see that status.

And as there are no other domains listed that I wish access to I can just not get any data. It's prohibited by default.

The only transmissions that are being established are to the Battle.net Server Status pages (read-only), diablofans.com (read-only) for news feeds and twitter.com (read-only) for Blizzard Streams. There is no bi-directional transmission.

If it was my intention to collect data I would not:
    1) upload it to Chrome Webstore
    2) put my real name in there
    3) put my real email inside
    4) Would risk my reputation here

And to extend this:
    Here is a screenshot of what is exactly transmitted. You can check it yourself by going to the Extensions Page, enable Developer Mode and click on background.html of my extension. Then you'll see whats going on :)

I've just updated the extension to 1.0.4, adding all the suggestions here plus bugfixing.

I would be glad to hear more wishes from you or get translations if possible. Its not that much work, just about 30 lines to translate.
    Great information Impala :cheers: Thanks for sharing this with us i will give it a go
    after a bit of consideration,i think might give chrome and therefor that nice extension of yours a shot. :)
    Quote from boomhauer

after a bit of consideration,i think might give chrome and therefor that nice extension of yours a shot. :)

I'm glad that I earned your trust :) It's so hard to convince even my closest friends, damn account thieves :(
    Hey, Impala, does it update automatically or do I have to do it manually? Oh, and what exactly did you change from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4?
    Quote from maka

Hey, Impala, does it update automatically or do I have to do it manually? Oh, and what exactly did you change from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4?

You should be able to update via Chrome's Extension manager (chrome://chrome/extensions). There is a button for updating your extensions.

As for the Changelog:
    http://www.diablofan...ox/#entry939171
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes