Guilds/Clans in D3?

Greetings there!
    As i asked the following question to blizzard during the ''AMAA''
    'Are you planning on inserting Guilds or Clans to D3? Or increase the maximum players in each game/party from 4 to 6 or 8?'

They didn't have time to answer or maybe they were spammed down etc, i don't know, but my question is, WHAT do you guys think about this?

I think D3 should have guilds or such, since it feels a bit isolated and lonely/boring compared to D2 where u logged online, directly into the chats and many different channels and you even saw other characters at the bottom of your screen (kinda felt like iddling in orgrimmar) - and well D3 just feels a bit too isolated/lonely and or boring as stated above compare to D2. What do you think about this?

SHOULD D3 have guilds/clans? Would be better and more fun? Would it entertain you more?
    It would be kind of bland unless they figure out some cool benefits to being in one. I do think they need to add chat channels though at least, maybe even passworded ones, for people in a out of game clan/etc to join and talk.

I don't want clans and guilds to just be a sort of shell of a implementation, when they do it I want to be like "HOLY HELL! I'm glad I'm in a clan!" or "That's pretty badass! I should find a guild!"
    I don't detest guilds or clans for D3, but I think they won't solve the issue you have with the social state of D3. It is more important for Blizzard to focus on making the chat functions better, which they've been working on since release. The addition of "General" chat and the upcoming ability to make private channels with people you know will create a much better community than the inclusion of guilds, which serve no real gameplay purpose in D3.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Are you sure? since it will work perfectly with pvp/arena, don't you think??

I mean, sure private channels/chats etc - how will that solve if you don't have many friends in D3?
    How will you meet new people and interact with others who play D3?
    Forums, public games, stuff like that. How people do it now. :P If someone isn't looking for new friends now, they won't be just because of a guild system.
    Quote from Greavers

Are you sure? since it will work perfectly with pvp/arena, don't you think??

I mean, sure private channels/chats etc - how will that solve if you don't have many friends in D3?
    How will you meet new people and interact with others who play D3?

The game already has the necessary infrastructure to meet new players by simply joining multiplayer games and keeping the "General" chat open. You can access all the people's profiles through these two, and interact with them of course. At a certain point, its up to the players to engage with each other.

I'm just now reading up on the /r/ AMAA since I just got of work, and there is thought being put into a way for players to see each other in a lobby or something similar to how D2 worked. They just don't know how exactly to go about that yet.

Bottom line is that even with Guilds and Clans, people are essentially strangers until they actually talk and play together. Everyone is already capable of talking to new people they just met while playing at this point, so having a Guild/Clan system centered around the idea of adding friends is redundant.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    are you really sure? What is WOW without a guild system these days? now that LFR is up and running?
    Since you can do all raids etc without being in a Guild - still which would you prefer? To be in a guild or not? :/
    I think it'll be a good idea.
    They should have implemented a better social/chat system in the first place.
    The current chat channels is quite backwards.

They need to have something like Heroes Of Newerth or Dota 2 where one can just type in a channel name and be able to search other user's battle tag etc.

Just a thought.
    Quote from Greavers

are you really sure? What is WOW without a guild system these days? now that LFR is up and running?
    Since you can do all raids etc without being in a Guild - still which would you prefer? To be in a guild or not? :/

The difference is that guilds in WoW are not primarily a socializing tool, but a gameplay tool that is enhanced by socializing. There are things that are simply not possible to do without a group in WoW, and that is where the games differ by a big degree.

You can do everything in D3 by yourself. There is nothing so far that actually requires you to have a group to complete something, and until this changes, playing with a group is a personal choice. If being in a group stops being a choice and becomes a requirement to complete something, then we have a reason for guilds or clans to exist. Group PvP would be one such reason, but in a game that is centric around personal progression, that is not enough.

I wouldn't mind having a clan system, but the real question is: What does a clan allow me to do that I can't already do on my own in D3? If we ever get content that requires you to have a full group to do (similar to WoW Heroics), then we'd have a good starting reason to actually being able to facilitate clans via an ingame UI.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes