Blizzard's Seoul HQ stormed by FTC

The government has launched an investigation into Blizzard Entertainment over allegations that the American computer gamemaker has refused to refund Koreans who purchased its latest real-time role-playing game Diablo 3.

Some buyers of the game vented frustration over server shutdowns and asked for refunds, but the company refused to do so, citing sales contract terms, which the FTC says is disadvantageous to consumers.

Source: http://www.koreatime...123_111971.html
    Interesting.
    And may the odds be ever in your favour.
    Emmo#2406
    I'll say what I did on the MMO champion forums:

This is laughable. Completely, utterly ridiculous. A complete over-reaction from a select few 'fans', demanding refunds because they couldn't bear to not play the game for a couple of days.

This sort of action is what stifles creativity and makes games worse, not better. Just because of the actions of a few selfish, ignorant fools who can't look past their own noses.
    Quote from Kisho

This is laughable. Completely, utterly ridiculous. A complete over-reaction from a select few 'fans', demanding refunds because they couldn't bear to not play the game for a couple of days.

This sort of action is what stifles creativity and makes games worse, not better. Just because of the actions of a few selfish, ignorant fools who can't look past their own noses.

Agreed.

Koreans take their gaming way too seriously and it's this sort of thing that stands to repel other software companies from setting up base within their borders. There is an overt over-sensitivity that many Asians have about "American" racism toward them and I bet my last dime that this is what the "raid" was really about. The government had a knee-jerk reaction to an American software company ripping off Koreans.

If I were Blizzard I'd pull up camp and extend a big 'ol middle finger to South Korea for this move.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Kisho

Agreed.

Koreans take their gaming way too seriously and it's this sort of thing that stands to repel other software companies from setting up base within their borders. There is an overt over-sensitivity that many Asians have about "American" racism toward them and I bet my last dime that this is what the "raid" was really about. The government had a knee-jerk reaction to an American software company ripping off Koreans.

If I were Blizzard I'd pull up camp and extend a big 'ol middle finger to South Korea for this move.

Amen to that brother! could not agree more.
    "When the government violates the people's rights, insurrection is, for the people and for each portion of the people, the most sacred of the rights and the most indispensable of duties"
    - Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette
    Quote from Kisho

Pretty much agreed. Can't say it better.

Just want to add, that this new idea of refunds have just spawned and it seems to be blown out of proportion. The game came out May 15th, and if you bought it that day, or week really, I wouldn't expect to get a refund. When you get food at a restaurant, you take the first bite, and if you don't like it you have it sent back and you don't pay for it. If you eat most, or the whole thing, you'll still have to pay for it. Blizzard won't be giving you a refund if you're dying in Inferno, but if you logged in and didn't know you couldn't play offline, than yeah probably.

Just additional bad press. Forbes article yesterday simply proves it. If you don't like the game, it's perfectly ok. If you're going to be ignorant, selfish, and stubborn than that's your own problem and Blizzard can't help you. No matter how much they buff legendaries or nerf Inferno.
    Quote from Serpenth

Quote from Kisho

Pretty much agreed. Can't say it better.

Just want to add, that this new idea of refunds have just spawned and it seems to be blown out of proportion. The game came out May 15th, and if you bought it that day, or week really, I wouldn't expect to get a refund. When you get food at a restaurant, you take the first bite, and if you don't like it you have it sent back and you don't pay for it. If you eat most, or the whole thing, you'll still have to pay for it. Blizzard won't be giving you a refund if you're dying in Inferno, but if you logged in and didn't know you couldn't play offline, than yeah probably.

Just additional bad press. Forbes article yesterday simply proves it. If you don't like the game, it's perfectly ok. If you're going to be ignorant, selfish, and stubborn than that's your own problem and Blizzard can't help you. No matter how much they buff legendaries or nerf Inferno.

This is really about false "assumed racism".

I read the Bnet forums during those 2 days. The Koreans were flooding the American forums, spamming them to pieces with accusations of racism.

Funny thing is, the same jerks that demanded a refund due to a few days of issues probably have logged about 500 hours of play time after filing the complaint. I would look into that if I were Blizzard. The people that filed the complaint are on record....just check their accounts and I bet I'm right.
    When gaming companies stop developing for South Korea, they will have themselves to thank.
    I grew up gaming without internet forums. The entire phenomenon of being upset with a game developer makes no sense to me. No sense. I cannot imagine spending my time and energy being upset about something I choose to do for recreation.
    Quote from ruksak

They could write some sort of patch for Starcraft that would cause it to stop working in Korea and cause a complete shutdown of their country lol.
    Some of this is probably political (sort of) backlash because Blizzard let some SK company or agency handle SC1 broadcasts and stuff in Korea, but when they did SC2, Blizzard held the rights themselves, and wouldn't give them away for free to the people who handled SC1.

So, they jump on the next big Blizzard release. Also, it must not be *too* unpopular. In there somewhere it said that D3 had started out as 16% of the seats and had become 40% of the seats in the gaming cafes or w/e they call them. Sounds like a lot of people were happy with it to grow that much in a week or two.

Also, it may be a case of a government agency making a public splash so they could be seen as 'doing something' even if they investigate and do nothing. That happens in the US and EU, too.

I figure if someone had trouble logging in and didn't even play 'in-game' for more than 5 hours, then I can't see any problem with refunding. However, anyone who's played through to Nightmare/Hell/Inferno already got their playtime out of the game, and shouldn't get anything. If it was so bad, why'd they play so long? It's like returning 1% of your food for a full refund.
    There is no "overreaction" if the whole thing is based on S.Korean law!
    I'm pretty sure the government won't take any actions if there is no legal base for this action.

So these players who want their money back (which I can totally understand - since the connection issues are f*cking ridiculous)
    may have all the right to demand it back.
    I'm fed up of this new age "buy it or leave it"-crap the gaming-community is mutating into. All this positive-thinking BS plays into the hands of the big corps, may it game companies like Blizzard or any other form of todays commercial areas.
    It's bad enough that most of the big players give a sh*t about the communities/customer complains, but we have a right to say what we think about their product and to return it like any other purchased product if there are any "defects".
    "Stormed"? Exaggerate much? OP should get a job as a hack journalist! :)
    guys u have no idea who serious this is

blizz is a multi billion dollar company and u dont fuck with consumer acts and T&C

blizz are also in trouble with china over an issue
    Quote from Maschinentrauma

I'm pretty sure the government won't take any actions if there is no legal base for this action.

So these players who want their money back (which I can totally understand - since the connection issues are f*cking ridiculous)
    I'm fed up of this new age "buy it or leave it"-crap the gaming-community is mutating into. All this positive-thinking BS plays into the hands of the big corps, may it game companies like Blizzard or any other form of todays commercial areas.
    It's bad enough that most of the big players give a sh*t about the communities/customer complains, but we have a right to say what we think about their product and to return it like any other purchased product if there are any "defects".

How do you hurt a corporation? Don't buy their products.

Customers have a right to returned purchases but this isn't Walmart where you can use something for a year then hand it back with a receipt. How about I buy some diapers have a kid shit in them, then wash them then ask for a return? If someone has put 20+ hours into something you shouldn't be entitled to a refund. 20 hours of entertainment for anything else in the world could total up to thousands of dollars yet people gripe about $60.

If you want to get into the "defect" claim I think their needs to be established terms and understanding of what qualifies defective in the gaming industry. Defect to me means it doesn't work, the game works fine and the servers have been okay and will only get better.

I'm fed up of this new age "whine about everything in life"-crap the gaming-community is mutating into.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    Friggin' Koreans take raiding way too seriously.

Nobody has the right to complain about internet only. Especially if they say they didn't know before buying.
    People better get used to this. In 5-6 years, ALL games will require an internet connection to play. There is too much benefits for a company to NOT go that road. If you don't like the idea of a game requiring you to be 100% connected to internet, go play outside, no connection required.

YES it sucks for everyone that the game has some stability issues, but it was to be expected, it doesn't mean Blizzard couldn't have done better, but things like this will happen and become "common" as the whole industry follow this path of buisness.
    Quote from Slayerviper

Customers have a right to returned purchases but this isn't Walmart where you can use something for a year then hand it back with a receipt. How about I buy some diapers have a kid shit in them, then wash them then ask for a return? If someone has put 20+ hours into something you shouldn't be entitled to a refund. 20 hours of entertainment for anything else in the world could total up to thousands of dollars yet people gripe about $60.

If you want to get into the "defect" claim I think their needs to be established terms and understanding of what qualifies defective in the gaming industry. Defect to me means it doesn't work, the game works fine and the servers have been okay and will only get better.

I'm fed up of this new age "whine about everything in life"-crap the gaming-community is mutating into.

Of course you are right, to not buy their products is a strong weapon yet it's not the only one, and criticism and discussions about their products could lead with time - like you've stated - to something better. But if we have a game with at least 4 years of developement (since there are some cool first vids on YT from 2008 - which btw look totally like it looks today) I'm asking myself - if they force all the players into the onlinemodus - how they could be so naive to underestimate the size of the upcoming playerbase, the needed hardware/server(-performance) or the necessary testing.

I've bought the game to have fun and to play it when I want to and not when Blizzard is able to get their service running.
    Nearly every day you can recognize that the European servers are overloaded from 4pm to 11pm - this is simply poor.
    Quote from Slayerviper

This, pretty much.

I would add that majority of the whining and bitching has been over the servers and have seen a number of posters claiming Blizzard led them to believe, or even promised them, that the launch would be as smooth as silk. People really need to stop being sheep and just led around. Does no one question anything anyone tells them anymore? After the open beta Blizzard stated that while they had 3 million players over the course of the week, log on and play, the actual live population peaked at only 300,000 players. If anyone thought that a stress test with a peak of 300,000, for THIS game, was any indication that the launch was going to go perfect needs to pull their head from their ass and start thinking for themselves.

Of course you are right, to not buy their products is a strong weapon yet it's not the only one, and criticism and discussions about their products could lead with time - like you've stated - to something better. But if we have a game with at least 4 years of developement (since there are some cool first vids on YT from 2008 - which btw look totally like it looks today) I'm asking myself - if they force all the players into the onlinemodus - how they could be so naive to underestimate the size of the upcoming playerbase, the needed hardware/server(-performance) or the necessary testing.

I've bought the game to have fun and to play it when I want to and not when Blizzard is able to get their service running.
    Nearly every day you can recognize that the European servers are overloaded from 4pm to 11pm - this is simply poor.

When it comes to corporations the only thing they respond to is money not criticism, if you can make them liable somehow for their poor product, and sue them, then something would actually come from it. I don't know how it is on the Euro servers but it's funny how until the most recent patch I haven't seen one person complain about it on this site (there are a lot of Euro players here) and don't count release week because Euro did have it better than NA. Ever since the patch it has been crappy but like all other Blizzard trends it goes away after week or so... it's been like this for nearly for every Blizzard product.

FYI, don’t blame Blizzard blame Activision, they aren’t the same company anymore.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    Oh well, I feel kinda korean right now...

I don't know how is the server status now in Korea, but Europe is a mess... Some of us have plenty of time to stalk Youtube for funny videos while the Blizzard's servers take a breath but since launch there was no weekend without some kind of issues.

I can believe that somebody had no physical means to login and get full satisfaction since launch, because some people have jobs and families and they can only spare a few hours a week to gaming. And is Blizzard's fault without any kind of doubt.

Those people should be able to be refunded. Blizzard assures that is able to track login times so, if somebody have not played, we can say 4 hours or so since launch, they must attend the petitions.

That said, "storm" the offices is quite an overzealous measure. A written official advert should have the job done.

Everything else is korean-nerd-rage, I suppose.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes