How can this weapon be better then my currently equipped?

Hi, just check this screenshot, it doesnt make any sense to me.. Looking at the stats and dps on the rare it seems that it should be the better choise right? Still I get better damage from the blue one as you can see... :S

http://i.imgur.com/9UYTm.jpg
    My guess would be that the shown DPS in the character window takes the weapon speed into account.
    As a wiz you don't realy need ASPD. But the rare also got a higher damage range, so i guess we need more info on the calculation of the DPS shown.

Anyway, don't you need as less life as possible as wizz so your life leech can be most effective? This would make the rare weapon inferior anyway.
    Yeah, weapons take into account ias
    Well, if you don't want the shiny, I'll sure take it off your hands. :)
    Quote from Mihawk

Yeah, weapons take into account ias

whats ias?

Which weapon gives me most damage? Cause thats the only thing i should really care about right?
    Nvm, i should look better at screen next time >_>
    Quote from spiratess

Hi, just check this screenshot, it doesnt make any sense to me.. Looking at the stats and dps on the rare it seems that it should be the better choise right? Still I get better damage from the blue one as you can see... :S

http://i.imgur.com/9UYTm.jpg

The only thing I can think of is the top-end damage is higher on the blue just out of the gate. Logic would tell us that with the higher aggregate +holy damage and the +damage gem that the rare would be higher on average.

Honestly if you're not using the life-leech thing that wizards are doing, I would definitely go with the one with more health and what has to be a miniscule damage increase looking at the stats between them.
    ----------------------Currently LvL 60 WD rolling through INFERNO softcore when I have time -------------------------
    Quote from Knaar

Equiped one do 100 str, the other one do not (dex and int)
    Thats why.

Knaar I was under the impression 100str for a caster class really wouldn't do much at all. I'm at work unfortunately and can't check what the tooltip says for my WD unfortunately.

For casters, Intelligence is what gives us a 1:1 proportional damage increase.
    ----------------------Currently LvL 60 WD rolling through INFERNO softcore when I have time -------------------------
    Oh my bad i was looking at the templar ^^' Didnt see it was a caster, sorry!
    Quote from Knaar

Oh my bad i was looking at the templar ^^' Didnt see it was a caster, sorry!

No worries! For all we know it actually might be the 100 str that's giving the difference Spiratess is seeing!
    If you have +damage on other parts of your gear (rings, amulet, off-hand), those stats will affect the DPS of a slower weapon less than they do with a faster one. Since every Source has +damage on it, I would assume that's part of the problem.
    It's pretty clearly the attack speed.

I've noticed that having high primary-stat diminishes in effectiveness with faster weapons, and straight +dam diminishes with slower weapons.

In other words, they're appearing to normalize somewhat, but not totally. On my WD and a fast weapon, with lots of +dam on rings and amulets and offhand, If I trade that +dam for a large amount of int, say 60 per piece, I'll lose damage. With a slow 2h i'll _gain_ damage if I switch to the int set instead.

I have no idea about the exact numbers, but I've noticed that trend repeatedly and across several characters.

To make a long story short, whenever I find a slow or fast weapon, I switch to my +primarystat or +damage gear set, respectively, to actually compare them. Like I said, I consistently get more damage with +stat and slow weapons or +dam with fast weapons, which can make a big difference in the apparent efficacy of those weapon types if I'm using the set that's less effective.
    Quote from Totaltotemic

If you have +damage on other parts of your gear (rings, amulet, off-hand), those stats will affect the DPS of a slower weapon less than they do with a faster one. Since every Source has +damage on it, I would assume that's part of the problem.

Wonder though, should we really see a noticable change when the weapons are a tenth of a second difference? I would think the formula would have to have a huge weapon timer coefficient in there in order to cause a noticable change with the same gear.

If that's true I think we might go down the road to where a lot of +damage stuff with a slower/faster weapon can severely change the effectiveness of a certain ability or combination of abilities.
    Buddy the one in your hand has +Str, you're a barb. Strength gives barbs a percent of damage increase. The more strength you have the more damage you do. The other one has no str but higher dps by very little, therefore it is worse in terms of damage.

Edit: wow that pic fooled me i thought you were a barb but that's your templar. the .10 APS is probably what lowers the damage so slightly. Since you're hitting less often it the minute increase in int and damage is nothing.
    Not even Death will save you from Diablo Bunny's Cuteness!

Quote from Enty

Buddy the one in your hand has +Str, you're a barb. Strength gives barbs a percent of damage increase. The more strength you have the more damage you do. The other one has no str but higher dps by very little, therefore it is worse in terms of damage.

Edit: wow that pic fooled me i thought you were a barb but that's your templar. the .10 APS is probably what lowers the damage so slightly. Since you're hitting less often it the minute increase in int and damage is nothing.

He's not a Barb, he's a Wizard. Look at his skills. It's the Attack Speed. It is the only stat that isn't higher. Given that attack speed rates in attacks per second, and DPS is damage per second, that is what is effecting the lower damage. Your weapon can only deal damage as fast as you can swing it, or in this case power your other skills. That part doesn't make any logical sense but it is how the game works. So conisdering the Rare only has a 1.2 attack speed where as the magic item has 1.3. Therefore it is dealing it's 534.3 damage faster than the rare is dealing its damage.

But the rare is a better weapon. The +4865 life is MUCH better than the -41.2 damage you are loosing at this point in the game. You are a level 60. When you are dealing 17165 damage, 41.2 damage isn't really going to do a damn thing. This is specially considering that 4865 life really adds to your survivability.
    they are kinda same only one got vitality? you drunk ?
    The rare is clearly better (although only slightly) in every way. I'm not exactly sure why the Damage is slightly worse, I figure a faster attack speed with a higher min-max damage would make it do more damage. Plus the with the gem one would think it should be higher damage. But the rare is the better weapon. Looking at your stats you would be losing 1/416 of your overall damage but would be gaining almost 1/4 of your overall life, aswell as nearly doubling your dodge from the dex.

Maybe you meant to ask "Why does it show the damage lower when the numbers are all better?" instead of asking which item is better.
    Look at the rest of your gear, you probably have some +dmg modifiers somewhere. The blue has a faster attack speed so it gets more dps out of the +dmg modifiers on the other items of your gear. Since the int and dps on the weapons are almost equal a few +dmg modifiers can tip the balance in favor of the blue item.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes