D3 dps meter? Recount? Are there any addons yet?

I realize the game is not endorsing addons or mods. However this one will probably happen reguardless. So basically I'm tired of all my friends saying "man I pull sick damage". I just wish I could be like "oh ya?" and whip out epic meters showing locust swarm/haunt dps lol

Does anybody know of any?
    Nope, such addon will probably never be.
    no
    All third party software or addons are bannable offenses in D3. Simple as that.
    There probably never will be an addon like that (or any addon at all for that matter).

Now there are two sides to this, first one is that these "sick damage" players won't get their feelings hurt because there is no way to show them that their "sick damage" is actually awful and doing few lightning effects doesn't make them a great DPS. So technically you could say that not having addons like Recount helps the community, well the bad players of it anyway.

The other part is that you will have to carry terrible players (baddies, scrubs, whatever lingo you use). There isn't a quick and reliable way to find out who are the slackers causing something not to die (fast enough), as long as they have some build and appear to do something there is no way to find out if they are using every "GCD", if they are resource capping or using their abilities as best as possible etc.
    well you'll know when they're like. hey you want to do Act 1 inferno with me? i can't seem to solo it.
    I want it so I can easily compare builds. Not just talk shit, it's an important tool to measure effectiveness
    this.
    is.
    not.
    wow.

stop comparing it!

want recount to FIFA 2012 as well? <.
    Game Designer - Micro Design
    I hate wow however it is a great comparison for many parts of the game.
    Quote from Nivius

this.
    is.
    not.
    wow.

stop comparing it!

Wow your attitude is just dumb... He is not comparing D3 to WoW anywhere, he is talking about a usefull tool and you should shut up a go play with the rest of the kids. You can't read bro so at least don't point it out...
    a dps tool would never accurately display the effectiveness of someone's build or gameplay

there are too many things in d3 that are important which are not damage
    Quote from Greenjoke

a dps tool would never accurately display the effectiveness of someone's build or gameplay

I completely 100% disagree. You can measure the effectiveness of the dps of the build. Yes there are other important factors but those can not be measured by a dps counter. For example I would love to know how much dps my zombie dogs put out compared to my gargantuian.
    To be honest I am not sure I want to know my DPS or even a min/max strategy based on builds. But then again I did find the little checkmark that allows you to see damage done on mobs.
    It seems to me, albeit I only have gotten to lvl 24, that the real trick is effect use of CC. Some mobs have boatloads of health comparitively speaking to damage done by characters and the only way to effectively beat them is to use slows, kiting, and CDs effectively. AKA if you do not have the CCs ready even with big burst damage you will get overwhelmed.
    Quote from Nivius

this.
    is.
    not.
    wow.

stop comparing it!

You Sir, are speaking the truth! keep it coming and put an end to this nonsense of D3 add-ons.
    I think that the lack of DPS meters will be due to a limitation caused by damage not being reported in chat. It's much easier to parse text than do image processing for data collection.
    Quote from Nivius

this.
    is.
    not.
    wow.

stop comparing it!

Agreed. Apples and oranges.

You can easily check effectiveness of build by simply killing same HP mobs with different build.
    "The first three were dead before they hit the ground. The others weren't so lucky."
    How to judge if a build works:

Get to Inferno.
    If you can kill shit and find loot, it works.
    I don't think it needs to be that complicated. Maybe in normal and nightmare will your overall damage matter that much, but after that what will matter most is your ability to survive. You're not going to be able to dish a lot of DPS if your resources are going to your defensive skills, mobility and controlling effects. Not that it would be 100% useless of course, but I don't really think it would be that much help. You're going to know pretty easily whether or not your can succeed in defeating the bosses and mobs of a difficulty.
    you can't really compare builds
    Quote from He11fir3

Quote from Nivius

this.
    is.
    not.
    wow.

stop comparing it!

Wow your attitude is just dumb... He is not comparing D3 to WoW anywhere, he is talking about a usefull tool and you should shut up a go play with the rest of the kids. You can't read bro so at least don't point it out...

the instant you bring up Recount you've brought up WoW
    Quote from devildog0491

Quote from Greenjoke

I completely 100% disagree. You can measure the effectiveness of the dps of the build. Yes there are other important factors but those can not be measured by a dps counter. For example I would love to know how much dps my zombie dogs put out compared to my gargantuian.

Quote from Immaridel

I don't think it needs to be that complicated. Maybe in normal and nightmare will your overall damage matter that much, but after that what will matter most is your ability to survive. You're not going to be able to dish a lot of DPS if your resources are going to your defensive skills, mobility and controlling effects. Not that it would be 100% useless of course, but I don't really think it would be that much help. You're going to know pretty easily whether or not your can succeed in defeating the bosses and mobs of a difficulty.

This

DPS = What I need to know for a boss fight
    Diablo Series = mainly random mobs and battles that last less than a minute; therefore DPS is irrelevant.
    Damage meters cannot anticipate random monster situations in game that doesn't really have any traditional rotations.

As for a comparison between dogs and gargantuan it's obvious that dogs do less, you can perform math or even experiment on a predictable set of monsters but nitpicking this much is a waste of time at this point.

There are a few threads on DPS meters, I recommending reading them.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes