Is the story of this game made for 12year olds?

Why I vastly prefer the Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 "stories" is because more so than a story, there was a mood. The actual story and dialogue took the backseat, allowing the player to use the mood and their imagination to craft a great game experience for themselves. In D3, the story is like "here I am, and I am shoving myself in your face the entire time, forever!". It's more like a movie. This might be fine, if the story was very, very good. But it's like a 6% Hollywood junk on Rotten Tomatoes. As a result, there's little left of the mood of the previous games I so loved.
    I think you guys are confusing things up. D1 and D2 plot-wise are empty. I never saw a game with more linear story then D2... You basically pass the whole time chasing the wander, killing what he lefts behind and defeating him in the end. I'm 100% D3 story is far better then D1 and D2. At least the protagonist is not doing the same thing (chasing diablo) 99% of the time.

Whats really bad in D3 is the vast majoirty of story is presented via dialogue texts and this is terrible in games unless an good writter (i mean literature level good writer) is writting all the stuff. It's like they opted to present the story through a channel they are terrible at - dialogues, book texts, in game scenes. The story part passed through CGs are great, Blizzard truelly rocks ar CGs.

Also imo some opnion of nowdays popular thoughs are ridiclous and way off. For exemple people rejects maniqueism (simply evil vs. good) as somethign purely evil did not exist in this word. It's the very old, boring and rather ignorant opnion that everything in humam society, including human motivations, are political, not moral. People dislikes the speech of an evil character because they believe evil does not exist in this world, they can't believe in the motivation sof a evil character, then this character turns to be shallows and unreal.

I"m not even saying dialogs in this game are remotelly good. I"m just saying a good fraction of people's discontentment with D3 story is because they reject the good vs. evil plot because they are fools and think those things do not exist.
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    Quote from italofoca

I think you guys are confusing things up. D1 and D2 plot-wise are empty. I never saw a game with more linear story then D2... You basically pass the whole time chasing the wander, killing what he lefts behind and defeating him in the end. I'm 100% D3 story is far better then D1 and D2. At least the protagonist is not doing the same thing (chasing diablo) 99% of the time.

Lol same thing I said my favorite are the people who keep saying what a great story D1 had hell D1 was so paper thin they Ret-coned most of it no matter who you beat diablo 1 with the warrior always jammed the soul stone in his noggin.
    Quote from italofoca

Whats really bad in D3 is the vast majoirty of story is presented via dialogue texts and this is terrible in games unless an good writter (i mean literature level good writer) is writting all the stuff. It's like they opted to present the story through a channel they are terrible at - dialogues, book texts, in game scenes. The story part passed through CGs are great, Blizzard truelly rocks ar CGs.

Also imo some opnion of nowdays popular thoughs are ridiclous and way off. For exemple people rejects maniqueism (simply evil vs. good) as somethign purely evil did not exist in this word. It's the very old, boring and rather ignorant opnion that everything in humam society, including human motivations, are political, not moral. People dislikes the speech of an evil character because they believe evil does not exist in this world, they can't believe in the motivation sof a evil character, then this character turns to be shallows and unreal.

I"m not even saying dialogs in this game are remotelly good. I"m just saying a good fraction of people's discontentment with D3 story is because they reject the good vs. evil plot because they are fools and think those things do not exist.

While I understand what you are saying, my opinion is that the reason I hate it is not as sophisticated as that. The game is a game made just to bash monsters: it does not need a plot, it does not need dialogue, cheesy lines, cliches, jokes. All those substract from replayability because they get old. How many times will you be able to endure the Scoundrel hitting on your fem. Wizard? In a game where you are supposed to farm and repeatedly play through, how long until you are fed enough to puke of all the puns?

Such a game does not need a story. It can have some form of underlying plot, like go there and kill that guy kind of thing, it sure as hell does not need characters with personalities, dramatic events (hello deckard cain dying like a hero for no absolute reason or purpose in a scene that makes no sense), Such a game just needs you to believe there is a reason somewhere for you to do what you are already doing: which is killing shit.

Such was Diablo II Act 1 plot for example: "oh some undead rising, kill shit, go save deckard cain, kill some more shit, and then kill the biggest of them all" - easy, simple, mood-setting, and above all very powerful. I don't need more than this to play a hack and slash game. Certainly not puns and giggles.
    diablo has a story other than kill demons?
    People are mistaking atmosphere (or "tone") for storyline. The atmosphere admittedly is not as dark as the previous installments, but the story line its is no better or worse than D2. Cliched dialogue and all. As for 1, I played it but don't remember there being much of an engaging story, just a basic premise to justify why you were grinding through several levels of the same building. Great game none the less, but who played/remembers it for story? Atmosphere possibly..not for the plot.
    And I think for that D3 is forgiveable (not being as 'dark'). People seem to not realize that the eerie ambiguity of the series may have been a biproduct (of the weaker graphics of the time, much smaller production team to produce deep, enthralling plot mechanisms, etc.) more than an explicit design choice..
    When you have an epic game it's hard to make the sequel just as epic.
    When you succeed to make the sequel epic.. Then the third game can only disappiont..
    But ahh well, I'm having fun!
    The game is far more story driven than Diablo 1 or 2, but the story falls short. There are some good ideas in there, but it's overly predictable and cheesy.

I still sort of like it though.

The cinematics are superb though. Entering Act 4 now, can't wait to see the last one.
    Quote from slowri0t

People are mistaking atmosphere (or "tone") for storyline. The atmosphere admittedly is not as dark as the previous installments, but the story line its is no better or worse than D2. Cliched dialogue and all. As for 1, I played it but don't remember there being much of an engaging story, just a basic premise to justify why you were grinding through several levels of the same building. Great game none the less, but who played/remembers it for story? Atmosphere possibly..not for the plot.
    And I think for that D3 is forgiveable (not being as 'dark'). People seem to not realize that the eerie ambiguity of the series may have been a biproduct (of the weaker graphics of the time, much smaller production team to produce deep, enthralling plot mechanisms, etc.) more than an explicit design choice..

Not as dark? I don't know about you but I thought the torture chambers in act 1 and stuff were pretty dark... Dead chopped up bodies and blood everywhere...
    Exactly, there's plenty of dark depressing content in the game. Act 2 is filled to the brim with it, if the locations weren't so beautifully diverse, I'd be eating SSRI's.

It's not that the game is disappointing. I honestly did not even expect a storyline apart from 'kill lord hell 1, 2 and evil being 1 and 2 because we need to save the world' and an overdose of Hack & Slash. They nailed the latter though. It's too much fun on my Barbarian.
    Side note: anyone who can't commend the game for the exceptional voice acting (talking about the actual performance, not the script) and sheer amount of lore content are just bitter fanboys and should play Path of Exile if you are dying for less substance and more reading. Or for that matter, just keep on with D2. =P
    Quote from mugfubawumpus

Quote from slowri0t

Not as dark? I don't know about you but I thought the torture chambers in act 1 and stuff were pretty dark... Dead chopped up bodies and blood everywhere...
    Quote from mugfubawumpus

Quote from slowri0t

I'm not saying it's not dark, just personally I found the other game's...creepier? It definately isn't 'made for kids' as the OP suggests. Another thing to consider is maybe we're all just older and our imaginations are dead. D3 does leave less to the imagination but as I previously said, that's just the evolution of the game industry (for better or worse). For blizzard to release a game w/o a cinematic take on the story would be considered archaic by modern standards.
    FTR I'm loving the game, really few complaints. Just responding to people's over critical critique.
    Would love it more if I could log in -_-
    I think you underestimate 12 year olds :)
    I like the game , i do agre that the story is a little bit over the top with a bunch of cliche but meh ive played diablo 2 for years and it wasnt for the story ... gameplay is good , item hunt is awsome thats all i care about .
    I'm loving the game too, but I noticed this right away (so did my friend). Even the final act 1 boss has to "growl" after his famous line. Almost as bad as the SK's laugh. Everyone over-acted it seems; I can give a lot more examples but they'd reveal spoilers so yeah. Dialogue is the worst part of this game, everything else is awesome (barring the skills UI).

It just lacks subtlety and polish I guess? When I think back to D2's wanderer and how it intrigues us... D3 is just purposely trying to spring big moment after big moment with little emotional connection having been developed (imo). I'm kind of reminded me of SC2 where you're going around doing these 'epic moments' and then it's over and you realize it was just an artifact hunt. Ah I'll calm down now.

I've only played act 1 though.
    SC2 Editor Tutorials: OnetwoSC
    D3 Channel: OnetwoD3
    A bunch of nostalgia plagued delusionals imagining D1 and D2 to be much more than it ever was, again. Nothing to see here.

Edit: Compared to the time they were made, they were great games. Compared to today, they are empty. The lore of Diablo is amazing, but you do not play the games for that lore. I did not learn one tenth of the lore by playing the game, i read bits and pieces around the web because i was a bit interested in it.
    Quote from DGen

A bunch of nostalgia plagued delusionals imagining D1 and D2 to be much more than it ever was, again. Nothing to see here.

Edit: Compared to the time they were made, they were great games. Compared to today, they are empty. The lore of Diablo is amazing, but you do not play the games for that lore. I did not learn one tenth of the lore by playing the game, i read bits and pieces around the web because i was a bit interested in it.

how do you spell fanboi?
    Quote from okrane

Quote from DGen

how do you spell fanboi?

More like how do you spell boy amirite?
    In what way does that sound like he's a fan 'boi' ? That's the standard anti-fanboy logic.
    Quote from temesz

Why I vastly prefer the Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 "stories" is because more so than a story, there was a mood. The actual story and dialogue took the backseat, allowing the player to use the mood and their imagination to craft a great game experience for themselves. In D3, the story is like "here I am, and I am shoving myself in your face the entire time, forever!". It's more like a movie. This might be fine, if the story was very, very good. But it's like a 6% Hollywood junk on Rotten Tomatoes. As a result, there's little left of the mood of the previous games I so loved.
    yes! i feel the same! i had so much more feeling in d1 and d2..and tyrael was much much cooler...sometimes i think this is wow angel and not tyrael from previous games..
    "you are a choir boy compared to me, a choir boy"
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes