World first 60 attempt!

I don't understand how this even works with the game going live in different parts of the world.. doesn't Asia have like a 12 hour headstart?? And EU is even behind US no? (imma go look these up to have the right numbers..)
    world first? hope youre playing on Asia gateway
    Quote from tanis0

Quote from Beechsack

Prove that the YouTube video someone posts wasn't recorded before you hit it on your livestream.

You can't.

Ok, I'll concede the video point. However, do you seriously think that someone putting forth the amount of time and effort necessary to beat dedicated teams of professional gamers to a world first isn't going to stream that live?

'Professional gamers' don't go after shit like this unless they're being paid to do so. And since the timestamp of reaching level 60 isn't viewable by anyone in the public, nobody is going to sponsor a professional gamer to do it, so they won't.
    To all of those strange individuals which have the urge to post here about how nobody will be able to prove who really reached level 60 as the first one, hai! Welcome to world of Blizzard! Have you ever heard of this magical thing called the Community API? Since Diablo III isn't (obviously) out yet and so isn't the relevant API, let me show you what I mean using the World of Warcraft API. See the second giant field? That's so-called timestamp. Might've heard of them before. You can tell not only which day I got every single achievement on, but at what time exactly.

Now, before you start saying that just because this is the case for World of Warcraft, it does not need to be the case for Diablo. Fair enough, but you can't tell (without some Lua scripting) the exact time in-game in WoW either (for most achievements, anyway), just like you can't in Diablo, which leads me to believe that these systems will work in similar manner – that is, the API will allow us to access some information we can't even get in the game itself.

Anyway, now to the real and non-envy people in this topic! I wish you the very best of luck on your race, please beat that Athene guy good! I… actually don't know him much, but I hope you'll win anyway. Watched one charity live stream of his, with two top raiding guilds racing to kill Deathwing faster, and… Wow, just wow… It was like watching (and listening to) a little kid screaming random non-sense, not commenting what's going on in the raid at all and proving his lack of knowledge about the game with every word he said. I felt sorry for his co-host who was basically doing all the work for him, and saving the show from being utter trash. Again, good luck with your race!
    Fair, I like. But won't watch since ... I'll play.
    There is no API for Diablo 3 at the present time. There will not be an API for Diablo 3 at release. There will not be an API for Diablo 3 for a period of weeks, if not months.

So again, good luck proving who gets world first 60 in week one.
    Quote from Beechsack

Quote from tanis0

Ok, I'll concede the video point. However, do you seriously think that someone putting forth the amount of time and effort necessary to beat dedicated teams of professional gamers to a world first isn't going to stream that live?

'Professional gamers' don't go after shit like this unless they're being paid to do so. And since the timestamp of reaching level 60 isn't viewable by anyone in the public, nobody is going to sponsor a professional gamer to do it, so they won't.

Now you're just mincing words. There are clearly very visible teams headed by interent gaming celebrities, some of which have achieved world firsts in the past, who are gunning for the world first level 60. You can argue semantics all you want, but you neither addressed nor invalidated my question.
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    Quote from tanis0

Quote from Beechsack

Quote from tanis0

Good luck to you. What's with all the people saying you can't prove it? Why can't you? Whoever gets world first level 60 will be someone (and probably a team) dedicated to obtaining the world first -- it's not going to be some random guy who has no idea people are trying to get world firsts. If they are streaming their progress, it'll be obvious if they are first because nobody else will have yet done it on their own live feed.

Uh, ok.

One person could put up a YouTube video of themselves hitting 60, and a screenshot of their achievement page showing they got it the same day as someone else. No way to prove who got it first that day, ergo forum drama ensues!!

Meaningless.

Hmm. I thought I was clear, but apparently I wasn't. When I say "streaming," I'm talking about live video. Anyone making a serious attempt at a world first is probably going to stream it live as it happens. Even if they don't, timestamps exist and it's fairly trivial to see which video went up first. Especially since there'll be posts all over this site and others when it happens or when it's about to happen.

There could still be some random guy somewhere in the world sitting in his dark basement who got to 60 before a team streaming their progress.
    Why not just let someone else play for your while you sleep? You're taking every other shortcut possible.
    Quote from Kildeer888

There could still be some random guy somewhere in the world sitting in his dark basement who got to 60 before a team streaming their progress.

There could also be a guy who biked the Tour de France course faster than last year's winner a week before the race. That doesn't mean it's likely to have happened. It'd take a monumental effort just to compete with people like Athene who have dedicated teams helping them, fans donating gear / gold, etc., let alone to beat them. If you were going to stay up for a week or more straight and put forth that kind of effort, you wouldn't livestream your victory to prove it? I find that hard to believe.
    ...and if you disagree with me, you're probably <insert random ad hominem attack here>.
    I miss the good old days when people just played games to have fun. More often than not with one another! Granted this could be fun to some shitheads, but still.
    Everything's a fucking race to have random people praise you.
    "MOM!, More Hotpockets!"
    Quote from HuskersHusky

"MOM!, More Hotpockets!"

Best fucking montage ever in that episode. Live to win!
    http://www.diabloprogress.com/

It will go live in release-night. I dont know if it will have timestamps.
    we're doing the exact thing, but in HC. we have 13 people now. and we're doing 96 hours straight. we're also streaming from start to finish.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/38372-hc-world-firsts-looking-for-more-people/
    Quote from achoo

I don't understand how this even works with the game going live in different parts of the world.. doesn't Asia have like a 12 hour headstart?? And EU is even behind US no? (imma go look these up to have the right numbers..)

Asia is 7 hours ahead of Europe.
    Europe is 8 hours ahead of US.
    ok, so everyone is trying to be the first one... for WHAT exactly? Please enlighten me, for I do not see any sense in this kind of behaviour?!
    The devs invested so much time in an awesome story and you want to ruin it for yourselfs and rush through this piece of art?

I mean what except the questionable "fame" do you get from that? Everyone outside this game will laugh at you for wasting your time on this gaming marathon. It won´t get you attention, it won´t most certainly NOT get you laid, so why exactly are you doing it?

I just dont get it. I for myself try to enjoy the game as much as possible, which will require to go slow in the story progress etc.

Also this was my first post, so Hi everyone. Please don´t mock me because of my english, it´s not my mother tongue :P
    Quote from MXDoener13

ok, so everyone is trying to be the first one... for WHAT exactly? Please enlighten me, for I do not see any sense in this kind of behaviour?!
    The devs invested so much time in an awesome story and you want to ruin it for yourselfs and rush through this piece of art?

I mean what except the questionable "fame" do you get from that? Everyone outside this game will laugh at you for wasting your time on this gaming marathon. It won´t get you attention, it won´t most certainly NOT get you laid, so why exactly are you doing it?

I just dont get it. I for myself try to enjoy the game as much as possible, which will require to go slow in the story progress etc.

Also this was my first post, so Hi everyone. Please don´t mock me because of my english, it´s not my mother tongue :P

I agree with this guy. After ten years of waiting you honestly want to just rush through the storyline?
    I'm going to be playing this game nearly nonstop (only breaking for classes and sleep) but I still intend to play through very very thoroughly because this game is what I've been waiting to play, not a racing version of it.
    Quote from tanis0

Quote from Beechsack

Quote from tanis0

Now you're just mincing words. There are clearly very visible teams headed by interent gaming celebrities, some of which have achieved world firsts in the past, who are gunning for the world first level 60. You can argue semantics all you want, but you neither addressed nor invalidated my question.

Fine. I'll directly answer your question.

Previous world firsts in games in the last 5 years were no streamed live. Just because a group is streaming their attempt live doesn't mean that another group is doing the same thing, but not streaming it.

Again, without a server side timestamp to PROVE who accomplished the task first, nobody can PROVE that they were in fact first. Therefore there will be endless arguments about it later that can never be resolved.
    Quote from MXDoener13

Each to his own. Some people think it's cool to harvest this kind of 'fame' - some will understand it, some not. Those who do it in teams probably enjoy the social aspect of doing it with friends and 'achieve' this goal of being first.

I won't be rushing through. I'll be exploring every barrel, every corner, chest etc.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes