Builds visible to everyone

Quote from Wolves_

This bothers me, what do you think?

I think you're easily bothered by very strange things.
    Seriously though, I don't see how this is a problem. In D2 you had to follow a pattern, but so far it seems like D3's skills are a lot more loose, and you'll need to change them up if a situation calls for it.

So what if you have six skills that really works for you, I might dislike Electrocute and Meteor, but just because you're using them doesn't mean I'll force myself to play with them. Just because those skills work for you doesn't mean they'll work for me, if catch my drift. People are different and prefer things differently, which is one thing I think D3 got right, it's trying to dodge the pigeonholing effect. The idea is that you'll use the toolset that you'd most likely be able to succeed in.
    Maybe I will try your build, and actually find that a certain runed skill would work well with a build I tried yesterday, and then give that a shot. Would you say that's a bad thing?

Like people also pointed out, skill level is a huge factor. Just because you have a certain skills on your hotbar won't make you insane effective when using them. And like I said, preferences differ so chances are that your build won't work for me, so there's nothing to worry about. Trust me. :)

Quote from notsofast

I hope so. Never heard of Thanos.

Nooo, are you serious? You need to get your hands on the Infinity Sagas.
    I'm almost inclined to say that the Avengers won't be enough to stop him. I'm also not sure why you think Loki is lame, he's a tactician and very badass in his own right. In the MU he was the reason why the Avengers initially came together, and manipulated them to further his own goals. The film did the comic book justice.
    Quote from Wolves_

I don't know if people have really noticed this, or if it has been discussed, but I don't think there is a way for you to hide your build order from being copied. Don't you see this as a big problem? What if for example most of the people aren't able to complete inferno, but there is this one guy, who has this awesome build, and is stomping mobs in inferno, what stops people who doesn't understand the game from just stealing builds and being in par with him?
    Or maybe my build isn't that awesome, but I don't want it being copied for whatever reason. Maybe I just wanna make sure I'm doing things in unique way or something.
    Currently the builds are soo transparent, not just due to the fact that they are displayed for everyone to see in game, but all the skills and runes have different visuals, and everyone can see what rune you are using. Plus this is just a fast way for cookie cutter builds to be polished and become popular.

when i find that build & own mobs in inferno .. it will probably be a build that only i can play with so steal all you wont you wont kill 2 packs with it // unless ur a good player then cheers for u & lets compare gear xd
    >> I'm not a psychopath I'm a high-functioning sociopath
    i guess that you will be changing your build in inferno more than ever ... since you have to adopt to situations ...
    so someone seeing your current build doesn't mean that he'll be able to run inferno ...
    i also think that inferno is far more about gear and movement than just about build.
    Not with the proper build.
    People bring valid points. I'm not concerned any more about this topic.

But I disagree with the player skill part. I don't see how killing mobs is a very hard thing to learn. You just need to know a very basic set of things, like not being surrounded for example.
    Quote from abu11

Being able to beat Inferno is 75% about the gear you have or eventually acquire, 20% about your build and 5% about your ability to hit those 1-4 keys better than the next guy.

ur on the wrong site mate. this is diablofans not wowfans :)

If blizz hit the nail on its head with this system (and I hope they did) I think its gonna be 0% build atleast 50/50 skill - gear. hoping 75/25 skill > gear.
    I dont think ppl will be doing retarded builds and not know that they are just that. So I dont think your build will matter at all in the end
    Quote from Wolves_

People bring valid points. I'm not concerned any more about this topic.

But I disagree with the player skill part. I don't see how killing mobs is a very hard thing to learn. You just need to know a very basic set of things, like not being surrounded for example.

Obviously right ; among billions builds, the best ones cannot be found by sheer empirism without an insane amount of luck, but concrete practice is actually enough to understand how the best builds are working.

Proper intuition > proper build > proper gameplay > proper drop rate > proper stuff

<----------------------------------- brain activity% ----------------------------------------I
    Quote from Wolves_

I don't see how killing mobs is a very hard thing to learn. You just need to know a very basic set of things, like not being surrounded for example.

Killing mobs is, in fact, easy. Surviving the process is not (not always.) Not getting surrounded, not getting cornered, not getting burst down, are perhaps in principle not difficult, but "not getting checkmated" is in principle not difficult, and "not letting them put the ball in the goal" is in principle not difficult, yet chess, and soccer, and DIII on Inferno will all be hard.

Quote from marmelade

If blizz hit the nail on its head with this system (and I hope they did) I think its gonna be 0% build atleast 50/50 skill - gear. hoping 75/25 skill > gear.
    I dont think ppl will be doing retarded builds and not know that they are just that. So I dont think your build will matter at all in the end

You mean finding a good build will not be difficult; having it will still be quite important. Some builds will also lend themselves toward certain gear sets and certain styles of play more than others, making some play styles easy with the right build.
    Quote from marmelade

Quote from abu11

Being able to beat Inferno is 75% about the gear you have or eventually acquire, 20% about your build and 5% about your ability to hit those 1-4 keys better than the next guy.

Hahaha, yeah ok. Prepare to be let down if you think that's how it's going to play out.
    Quote from Brenugae

Quote from marmelade

Hahaha, yeah ok. Prepare to be let down if you think that's how it's going to play out.

We can't really state anything as fact. From an outsider's perspective I'd say D3 will have the potential to require a bit more skill than D2.

The reason why I'm making this assessment is, in D2 your build had pretty much three or so skills that you spammed, not much situational. In D3 you already have cooldowns on some skills, which means you need to pay attention when you use them. You also have six skills that are all equally effective, since you don't need to dump points which sort of creates an imbalance in that regard. This allows for more situational usage.
    My second point is monster affixes. There's no arguing that D3 so far has a lot more interesting unique and champion traits. Why this has an impact is because some of these abilities coupled together will make for very interesting fights, Imagine for instance a group with knockback, grenadier and waller. This will make for an interesting fight, and since groups overlap, imagine that group get another group on top of that one with fast, frozen, and fire chains.
    You will need to time your teleport/mirror image/wave of force with your with your blizzard and meteors, or know when to throw a wall of zombies with a fetish army and time your sacrifice just right. Take any class and you will see that they all skills that you need to work around so your not on a cooldown or resource starved when the crap hits the fan.

I'm not trying to blow this out of proportion, but with interesting monster traits like waller, fair chains, and avenger, the combinations on higher difficulties can seem quite hair-raising, and that's only some of the ones we know. Of course build will be important, and gear just as important, but I think stating that a person can just enter Hell or Inferno, spam skills, and think it'll be a pushover is foolish.
    don't worry OP I have no intention of copying anything you come up with
    Quote from Brenugae

Quote from marmelade

Quote from abu11

I really thought we had purged all the arrogant jerks from this board. Apparently not.

You have no idea. NONE, WHATSOEVER, how difficult Inferno will be, nor how much skill it will take to complete. Your statements (which are not at all backed up with any sort of argument whatsoever, but merely garnished with some condescending asshattery) are utterly devoid of intelligent thought.

The only thing you have to base your baseless assumptions on is 1/3 of the first 1/4 of the first 1/4 of the game. You see how silly that sounds? Don't tell me you've seen stats from the strategy guide leak. That's one mini boss and some mobs. Still doesn't mean jack.

Might Inferno be a cakewalk? Sure! We don't know! But laughing at someone else who is hoping that it will be hard just makes you look like a prick.
    but I don't think there is a way for you to hide your build order from being copied.

Here's a thought. No one cares what your build is. If you're in a group and not sucking that's all that matters.
    people copying other peoples builds is trivial. to me what matters is coming up with your own builds and understanding every skill and recognizing the synergies between them. when you come up with a particular play style and use the skill calculator to make that particular play style viable is so rewarding.

what you also discover when you do this is that you dont get tunnel vision to one particular class because they have the most obvious build. when i decided i wanted to play D3 i only wanted to play just one class and the rest looked boring/weak, but know i'm excited for every single class because i know there true potentia,l something i wouldn't have gotten if i just looked online for cookie cutter builds instead of doing it on my own.
    At the end of the day, whether people want others to be able to view their build/profile/info/whatever or not is a personal thing.

It's not like the concept of privacy settings is new or anything...I don't see any reason why having options to control such things would be bad...
    I don't see anything wrong with looking at other people's build and burrowing ideas from them. I personally doubt many people will completely steal all skills and passives.. I mean most people like you play like they want to play.

I often look at other people's ideas for my own build and what's wrong with that?
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    i see this as a method to trash talk more than anything else...

"OMG...Vault.....really?!? lolz"
    Quote from Wolves_

I don't know if people have really noticed this, or if it has been discussed, but I don't think there is a way for you to hide your build order from being copied. Don't you see this as a big problem? What if for example most of the people aren't able to complete inferno, but there is this one guy, who has this awesome build, and is stomping mobs in inferno, what stops people who doesn't understand the game from just stealing builds and being in par with him?
    Or maybe my build isn't that awesome, but I don't want it being copied for whatever reason. Maybe I just wanna make sure I'm doing things in unique way or something.
    Currently the builds are soo transparent, not just due to the fact that they are displayed for everyone to see in game, but all the skills and runes have different visuals, and everyone can see what rune you are using. Plus this is just a fast way for cookie cutter builds to be polished and become popular.

Your build will also change depending on who you are playing with, solo or with 3 others etc. I know my solo build and my group (tank monk) build will be completely different.
    Quote from Wolves_

You must be one of those fake elitest ;) did you ever type "/2 (trade chat) LFG Gear score X required" /sarcasm
    But seriously, even if you could hide your build - someone else who is better than or equal to you, will post it or hell, sell the build "secrets". This is the internet.. you should know better..
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes