Builds visible to everyone

I don't know if people have really noticed this, or if it has been discussed, but I don't think there is a way for you to hide your build order from being copied. Don't you see this as a big problem? What if for example most of the people aren't able to complete inferno, but there is this one guy, who has this awesome build, and is stomping mobs in inferno, what stops people who doesn't understand the game from just stealing builds and being in par with him?
    Or maybe my build isn't that awesome, but I don't want it being copied for whatever reason. Maybe I just wanna make sure I'm doing things in unique way or something.
    Currently the builds are soo transparent, not just due to the fact that they are displayed for everyone to see in game, but all the skills and runes have different visuals, and everyone can see what rune you are using. Plus this is just a fast way for cookie cutter builds to be polished and become popular.
    This bothers me, what do you think?
    Your build wouldn't be hard to figure out, even if you could hide it. No real reason to hide it.

Oh look that WD has some dogs, he feared a mob, he blew up his dogs, he has a gargantuan, and some spiders, and a little voodoo group. I can't IMAGINE what his build is.

There aren't THAT many abilities in this game, I think a lot of players already have a huge portion of them memorized.

As for your cookie cutter comment - I feel you're forgetting just how many builds there are. Nothing is great for everything, you have to pick and choose preferences for areas. Which is better? A 12 second 80% slow, or a 2 second stun? This isn't exactly an obvious choice. Gargantuan, or the most powerful cooldown in the game? Sacrifice, or Flame Bats?

It all depends what exactly you want. Yes, there will obviously be a handful that come out as being more played, but to that I just have to say - look at Lightning sorcs, or Hydra sorcs in D2. Hell, even Auradins, or fire trapsins. These were builds that were pretty much not played at all, and then suddenly people discovered them. There are still a few hidden gems in D2s skill base.

Just don't copy everyone else, and find your own niche, your own build. Don't concern yourself with other peoples builds.
    Being able to beat Inferno is 75% about the gear you have or eventually acquire, 20% about your build and 5% about your ability to hit those 1-4 keys better than the next guy.
    Yeah, that actually sucks imho, but this is the path Blizzard've chosen long ago (probably with WOW Armory), so there's nothing we can do about it.
    World First lvl 60 WD on HC.
    I love the "i wanna be a unique and special snowflake!!" QQ threads. Who cares if someone copies you? It does not effect you one bit, maybe your ego, but otherwise, its not worth crying about.
    true that the number of "core" builds that will work wonder is quiet low, most guides will probably be:

for this theme build take thoes 3-4 skills, pick a damage spell that you like, (might be a list of what works will with teh "core" theme.
    then pick a defensive / escape that you like.
    then pick those 2-3 passives or thoes 2 and 1 from the list.

everyones favorite skill and prefered playstyle is diffrent.

so copying another players skillset witout taking into concideration advanced playstyles and gear. will result in a bad build.
    I think taking down Inferno is going to rely on a lot more than just what buttons you have to press. It's going to be majorly your skill level, and less majorly what gear you have. There's probably hundreds of thousands of builds that someone with excellent skill and sufficient gear could use to complete Inferno.

Don't worry so much about it.
    Change the runes/skills when you're on the chat. They will eventually look at your awesome banner, but that's the only thing they'll learn.
    I guess it's not a big deal but still it bothers me. And yea, it's my ego :ph34r: can't help it.
    I don't think this would be a big problem, since I think the very most powerful builds will rely on huge teamplay. Individuals won't get so much profit from them.
    Quote from abu11

Being able to beat Inferno is 75% about the gear you have or eventually acquire, 20% about your build and 5% about your ability to hit those 1-4 keys better than the next guy.

In HC, acquiring the gear is 80% about your build and 20% about your ability to hit those 1-4 keys better than the next guy.
    I like how people think they will be the only one, out of the millions of players, that are going to come up with that awesome build.
    I think people that see anything wrong with the basic principle of sharing information and would want it out just to keep anything to themselves is selfish and should be ashamed of themselves.
    Ashamed ? That's not food, but a game.
    I don't think it's about being the only one that will come up with that awesome build, but rather being in the let's say 10% of people with awesome builds as opposed to say 90% of them.
    There are two reason I would say this is not a problem. The first is that seeing a build is only step 1; understanding it is step 2 (usually not that hard a step following step 1), but implementing its use effectively is step 3, and just because you can see it and know what you should do doesn't mean you will be good at carrying it out. The other reason is that this game is in no way a competition, so even if people are "cheating off your homework," it doesn't impact you in any way. If you want to be playing by yourself or just with friends, and never even tell anyone outside that group when you beat Inferno w/ your Hardcore unorthodox build, then in all likelihood, no one will even know to look at your build out of the millions of characters.

I would say that the game is going to be 60-70% about build + skill (depending on your build, what fraction of that is skill and what fraction is just choice of ability will vary), and 30-40% about gear. Gear can and will be a bottleneck for progression at times, but there are plenty of people you'll be able to hand a perfectly-geared character to who won't be able to get out of act 1 Inferno, certainly not w/o a lot of practice.
    Quote from falcompsx

I love the "i wanna be a unique and special snowflake!!" QQ threads. Who cares if someone copies you? It does not effect you one bit, maybe your ego, but otherwise, its not worth crying about.

Love this.. I can't take it either.. And to top it off, no one knows the balance of the skills.. or how things change up with balance patches. Quench your tears, sit back and enjoy the game. It's a cooperative game, not a competition.
    Well, this is not Starcraft, once you have what you need (proper build & proper items) it will be fairly easy to just click and click and click.

And I am not crying, so no "special unique snowflake" flame please. I will enjoy the game as much as I would if there wasn't any such skill issue.
    You can give a man Hendrixes guitar and Eddie's pick, if he doesn't know how to play its irrelevant. If you lack the knowhow to make an end game build, copying it elsewhere wont really change anything. Chances are you are still getting rolfstomped by Cpt. Rumfords rising dead.
    "In Hell n... In Inferno, no one can hear you scream"
    Quote from Wolves_

...once you have what you need (proper build & proper items) it will be fairly easy to just click and click and click.

This might hold as far as beating Hell, probably holds for most reasonably savvy players for Nightmare, and is almost certainly the case for Normal, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to be quite up on your game come Inferno. Gear will only be the Inferno bottleneck for rather-skilled players.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes