Why RMAH buyers bother you ?

Maybe, but how is that breaking YOUR immersion ?
    Please develop that part, I don't understand why those people prevent you from enjoying the way you like to play your game.

- I'm not sure how I could explain it more clearly. Diablo 3 is based on the world of Sanctuary, where the currency is gold. Not United States of America, where the currency is american dollar. It's similar kind of immersion breaker as NPCs instructing me to 'click the right mouse button'. There should be no reference what-so-ever to this real world for the game to maintain good integrity. What is an issue of real world should be dealt with there.

What I meant by "YOUR" immersion was : how does it affect you that other people buy with a currency that does not fit the roleplay ?

See it like that : you're enjoying the sun on the beach.
    Someone, somewhere, is under an umbrella, hiding from the sun.
    You would never hide from the sun, you go to the beach to enjoy it.
    How is this guy annoying you ?

Maybe the comparison is wrong, if so I'll try to get a better one, but do you get the meaning of the initial question ?

You play in a world with gold, where there is a gold AH (an AH ? in Sanctuary ? Hordes of heroes killing the same boss reselling their drops ? How is that even possible in Sanctuary ???), you enjoy the world, etc...

Some dude in florida buys a sword of the whale for 3 bucks.

How is this event troubling the gameplay experience you are currently experiencing with your own body controlling your own character is a separate world instance where you are isolated and kept away from those people's trades ?
    Any game, ANY GAME that is popular and has gear, there is ALWAYS a way for someone to PAY for gear. Get used to it, it's been happening since d2 (maybe before) it will happen until the day you die, or devs stop making games that gear is an issue for.

- Even though you're completely ignoring my argument I'll be answering yours. Nowhere in the world is preventing unwanted behavior easier than in a game. Simply by having no support for microtransactations would cut their rates to one tenth. You can pay for service, but there's no guarantee the 3rd party company would deliver. If there was any evidence a player was part of real money transactation, their account would be banned. Just like it was in Diablo II. It's a matter of policy and Blizzard has turned theirs 180 degrees. Only time will tell what sort of bot town this game will become now that you can legally sell items for real money.
    I can already see all thoes competitive players comming into co-op games to brag about how shiny their weapon is and that they are so skillful, that they can clear content a whole 1 minute faster.
    On more serious note, there is truly nothing competitive about diablo 3. There is no option for PvP even. When the arena finally will be done, it seems there will be no rank system. So why would anyone care about items that are on anyone other than themselves? You may create the competition in your own head if you want to, but noone else cares.

My problem with RMAH is that it breaks the immersion of game. Where in the world of blacksmiths, swords and magic does american dollars fit in? Goals that were designed to be accomplished by playing the game are now just 'given' to highest bidder. You can have a full decked out character at level 60 without even trying out the Inferno difficulty.

You'd be stupid to think that without the RMAH there wouldn't be any items getting sold, there would be hundreds of third partys websites selling+scamming. You could have a fully decked out character as soon as you met the gear requirements in Diablo 2 due to the fact you could farm on your main.

You did not understand, what he was saying. He says, that the appearance of $ ingame breaks the immersion for him.

To the topic in general:
    I have to agree to BANT4M. His thought is the only thought, that bothers me too, since they've announced the RMAH. I found a Windforce I could not use, cause I had no amazon, so I gave it to a friend or gave it to a player in the game, where we found it. Sometimes I gave items to unknown people for the sole fact, because I knew they would be happy about a gift. With RMAH I think, that it won't happen as often as it did in D2.
    I won't bother if people use the RMAH or not, I would not bother, if somebody got better gear than me, even though he bought all of his stuff, but I would care, if the RMAH has a negative impact on the social attitude of the community, because beside the botting and hacking community in D2, the community was far superior to any online game I've played. In this case community means the general community, not the friends you've got in the game.

Must have simply been the way it's worded, because it still looks like he's saying it breaks the immersion of the game for everyone not just him.
    What I meant by "YOUR" immersion was : how does it affect you that other people buy with a currency that does not fit the roleplay ?

- Well, we're playing the same game, aren't we? When I'm immersed in the world of Sanctuary and in that world I see a dollar sign, the immersion is broken.

Come play Bloons Tower Defense 4:
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/Ninjakiwi/bloons-tower-defense-4
    In the main menu, you got New Game, Resume, More Games, Track Editor, Expansion Pack. The last three options take you somewhere else. You can't edit your tracks with the game you're playing. Now select 'New Game'. Choose 'Double Cast mode $$' and you're immediately taken to pop-up where you can choose your payment method. I mean double-cash is pretty powerful perk here, isn't it? Now choose any game you like. Notice that you can actually buy more gold and lives as you're playing. Thought you made a high score? Nope, there's some guy who bought more gold and more lives than you did.

Clearly the designer doesn't give a flying **** about making a good, working, reasonable game where rules are same for every player. This is a game where you truly play with your wallet.

And there's your problem right there. This is NOT a competitive game. The only inkling would be the arena, which doesn't show rank and there are no rewards (besides maybe some achievements.) The rest, and the majority of the game is either single player or co-op, with everyone working towards the same goal. There are no mods (thank god) so things like a DPS meter if made won't exist for long, therefore there aren't any epeen ragers.

People who are adamantly against the RMAH have one thing in common; Their pride gets hurt. Even though it in NO WAY harms other players when someone gets a cool item, they still for some reason get mad. What difference does it make whether I farmed for hours on end and found said item, or I traded another item for it, or I traded gold, or I traded real money. I'll still have the item.

Except that with the exception of single player chars, it IS a competitive game. In addition, the economy affects ALL players AND as you have noted there is such a thing as PVP.

It makes a difference how you get an item because in the first 3 cases (assuming the gold/traded-item(s) weren't bought with $$) you were actually PLAYING the game as opposed to the $$ case where you are paying money for an advantage over other people who aren't.

What ever happened to playing a game for fun? Diablo is a game about continually making your character more powerful by getting better and better items (and yes in comparison to others - remember the ladder in Diablo 2? Hardcore mode? Inspecting gear?). This involves playing the game and killing things, and ideally, having fun with the challenge or process of doing so. People who like having good gear, but not actually playing the game need to re-evaluate whether or not this is really a game for them.
    People always try to find a legitimate reason for cheating, it's really quite pathetic. That is of course all you and your assorted minions are doing. Justifying your own laziness, looking for a shortcut, I guess it's a sign of the times. I work 5 days a week, so I don't have as much time as some, but that in know way gives me the desire to buy my way to the top, to have an empty sense of achievment, you rob knowone but yourself if you buy your gear with real money and like I said that's just sad and pathetic.

People always try to find a legitimate reason for cheating, it's really quite pathetic. That is of course all you and your assorted minions are doing. Justifying your own laziness, looking for a shortcut, I guess it's a sign of the times. I work 5 days a week, so I don't have as much time as some, but that in know way gives me the desire to buy my way to the top, to have an empty sense of achievment, you rob knowone but yourself if you buy your gear with real money and like I said that's just sad and pathetic.

I swear i don't normally comment on grammer but you used it twice so I'm thinking maybe you just dont know. Know means to understand something. No would be the correct spelling you were looking for or no one.

A troll post if I've ever seen one. Or a very deluded person.
    Replying to the original post, my own opinion of it is that it doesn't really bother me, but I'm not going to buy stuff off the RMAH myself, mostly because I'm a cheap bastard. However, what if I SELL stuff on the RMAH? Of course I would appreciate those buyers! Also, if I sold enough stuff on the RMAH, and built up a balance of money, and then bought stuff myself from the RMAH... Then I would still be earning it in the same way those people 'think' everyone should be earning gear. I would be farming to get items, selling them, and with that money buying things.

So if people wanted items bought off the RMAH to be labeled as such, what about the people who bought things off the RMAH but didn't actually use money out of their own pocket for it? It wouldn't be much different than selling and buying things using the gold AH.

Plus buying items isn't going to give you more skill if you have none, so it's not going to turn a complete noob into an awesomesauce player.

On a side note, I'm still curious to see how many people will be buying items using the RMAH. I know a lot plan on trying to sell.
    I give zero fu*k's about anyone buying anything off the RMAH, it doesn't affect me. I won't be using it, Blizzard is going to make a killing from monopolizing something they initially tried to destroy other's doing..in my eye's Blizzard are hypocrits.
    LAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWL? - Never trust a man, whom when left in a room with a tea cosey, does not try it on.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes