Why RMAH buyers bother you ?

Hi,
    It seems that quite a lot of people value free time to the extreme, to the point that they would like to know if a player has items that come from RMAH.

By putting flags on those items/players, you want want people to know that all your stuff is from lucky-drops, so you can brag around claiming that you really earned what you wear.

I think this behaviour is only observed on people who have a lot of free time to play, because they want to convert the one thing they have over others (free time) into fame/pride/achievement.

To me, there is no objective argument that would explain such a thing, since buying from RMAH implies spending time at work to obtain stuff, wich is the same as spending time at killing monsters to obtain stuff : you dedicate time to your building character.

In my opinion, the only reason to back up this logic is that people with free time want to dominate the stuff competition by valuing the one thing they have over others : free time, but hide behind "really deserve" arguments. (which is fallacious since working to obtain something also make you "deserve" it the same way).

This is my current understanding of the situation.
    If you recognize your profile but think it's wrong, please correct me & explain where I'm wrong (I'm an insatiable "understanding people" bitch ^^).
    They don't bother me, I like getting money.
    Quote from Ragator

They don't bother me, I like getting money.

Well you're not the exact target of this thread then ^^
    Some people have all the time in the world to play while the majority of the player base (who is 21+) doesnt. We have school/work/families and you also have to realise people will complain about everything. I could give away $100 to 5 random people in this thread and people would complain and say it's not fair.
    True
    Quote from Yellr

Some people have all the time in the world to play while the majority of the player base (who is 21+) doesnt. We have school/work/families and you also have to realise people will complain about everything. I could give away $100 to 5 random people in this thread and people would complain and say it's not fair.

And the ones who got the money would complain tomorrow that you didn't give them enough money. People will ALWAYS complain.
    My problem with RMAH is that it breaks the immersion of game. Where in the world of blacksmiths, swords and magic does american dollars fit in? Goals that were designed to be accomplished by playing the game are now just 'given' to highest bidder. You can have a full decked out character at level 60 without even trying out the Inferno difficulty.
    Quote from abu11

My problem with RMAH is that it breaks the immersion of game. Where in the world of blacksmiths, swords and magic does american dollars fit in? Goals that were designed to be accomplished by playing the game are now just 'given' to highest bidder. You can have a full decked out character at level 60 without even trying out the Inferno difficulty.

Yes, and they bought those items from people who earned them. So in the end, the people who earned the items get the most benefit. What do you care if there's some jerk running around in other games with high end gear but no skills? You will probably never see this person.
    Quote from pskfry

Quote from abu11

Yes, and they bought those items from people who earned them. So in the end, the people who earned the items get the most benefit. What do you care if there's some jerk running around in other games with high end gear but no skills? You will probably never see this person.

This 1000000 times over. Someone else has to earn those items and didn't need them or doesn't want them. So who cares if that guy can make some cash off of it. They don't just magically appear on the RMAH, someone earned them before the guy that bought them did.
    Quote from abu11

Maybe, but how is that breaking YOUR immersion ?
    Please develop that part, I don't understand why those people prevent you from enjoying the way you like to play your game.
    Quote from abu11

its been like this for along time...i know people who spent alot of money on third party sites for perfect d2 items...its gonna happen regardless so why not add it in game for safe transactions.
    Quote from cmorg21
    its been like this for along time...i know people who spent alot of money on third party sites for perfect d2 items...its gonna happen regardless so why not add it in game for safe transactions.

- I thought they were on the same league with hackers, botters and scammers. It seems Blizzard turned their policy upside down by starting to endorse real money transactations.
    Quote from abu11

Quote from cmorg21

- I thought they were on the same league with hackers, botters and scammers. It seems Blizzard turned their policy upside down by starting to endorse real money transactations.
    by adding it in game they attempt to make alot of thos hackers,scammers,or botters out of the job. imo anyway
    Quote from Gryzorz

To me, there is no objective argument that would explain such a thing, since buying from RMAH implies spending time at work to obtain stuff, wich is the same as spending time at killing monsters to obtain stuff : you dedicate time to your building character.

I hear this argument a lot but I can't completely agree with it, it's like saying "I have a real job and a family to take care of so I don't have time to work out as much as a professional athlete but I have all this money from the hours I work instead of work out, so I should be allowed to buy steroids for the money I make with my job"

Also playing through the game with people who have bought gear could potential make the experience less exciting for me, them having better gear than they might have if they hadn't bought gear could make the game easier, and less fun. This is really a minor issue though since it's so luck based.
    Items or Gear =/= Skill

I would much rather play in a game with others who are skilled, aware of whats going on, and contribute to the group who might be only decently geared (regardless if they found or bought it) rather than playing with with people who have completely purchased all maxed out gear but have little clue or skill to add to the group.

Same went for WoW, altho this rule is much more prevelant for that game than D3.

Lv01 Witch Doctor --> 11:30am EST - May 15, 2012
    Lv60 Witch Doctor --> 12:52pm EST - May 22, 2012
    Quote from pskfry

Quote from abu11

Haha I like this. "No skills", Diablo takes no skills to play PvM. Anyone who buys gear to PvM also is oblivious and lost.
    Quote from Adon

Quote from pskfry

Quote from abu11

Haha I like this. "No skills", Diablo takes no skills to play PvM. Anyone who buys gear to PvM also is oblivious and lost.

You really cannot say this when we haven't seen Inferno at all.
    Quote from abu11

Maybe, but how is that breaking YOUR immersion ?
    Please develop that part, I don't understand why those people prevent you from enjoying the way you like to play your game.

Quote from Leonx66

Quote from Gryzorz

I hear this argument a lot but I can't completely agree with it, it's like saying "I have a real job and a family to take care of so I don't have time to work out as much as a professional athlete but I have all this money from the hours I work instead of work out, so I should be allowed to buy steroids for the money I make with my job"

Also playing through the game with people who have bought gear could potential make the experience less exciting for me, them having better gear than they might have if they hadn't bought gear could make the game easier, and less fun. This is really a minor issue though since it's so luck based.

Now I think I got it, let me rephrase :
    People who buy stuff from RMAH can maintain an easier game difficulty than people who don't.
    When they claim to having cleared inferno, you don't know if it was because of their wealth or because of their skill, is that it ?

If so, how is that different than people farming lower difficulty levels to obtain superior gear until they can faceroll the next difficulty ?

If not, I still don't understand !
    Quote from Gryzorz

Now I think I got it, let me rephrase :
    People who buy stuff from RMAH can maintain an easier game difficulty than people who don't.
    When they claim to having cleared inferno, you don't know if it was because of their wealth or because of their skill, is that it ?

If so, how is that different than people farming lower difficulty levels to obtain superior gear until they can faceroll the next difficulty ?

If not, I still don't understand !

Personally I don't care how people gain their "in-game wealth", as long as it doesn't effect my personal game experience, I just gave an example of how it might effect my experience.
    Quote from Yellr

Quote from Adon

Quote from pskfry

Quote from abu11

You really cannot say this when we haven't seen Inferno at all.

You are correct, however I have played Diablo 1 and 2 and 3 and well they all play the same. So I am going to go off and say well inferno is going to play by the same rules as well, which are very simple and easy to conquer rules. With right skills and strategy and decent gear it will be beaten. Sure better gear will make it easier, but it is definitely not impossible without great-godly gear. So thus RMAH is kinda pointless in PvM unless you don't want to waste any time MFing and rushed to inferno, and also care about how good you are at killing AI monsters...which do you? I mean you either kill them or you don't, in the end buying gear or not the result is the same.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes