Is Diablo 3 going to be too "childish" ?

I suggest you take a look at a direct comparison we have in the thread: From D2 to WoW to D3... Environments.

I didn't think the game looked too childish anyway, but the comparison pretty much made me even more certain about how others will look at it.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    Until you have played Diablo 3 and experienced the amazing eerie sounds and other influencing effects which make the game gloomy and foreboding you can;t really judge it based on screenshots alone. They seriously have hit the nail on the head with achieving one of the coolest atmospheres I've ever felt in a game. Up there with Deadspace and Amnesia.
    Redkoolaid -ALL 2 MINUTE COOLDOWNS
    Quote from Shmark

Good thing they toned it down a bit.

Bad Mr. Frosty was scary in this game !
    The day D3 is "cartoony" is when I can play as a looney toon character. Bugs bunny will be a beast.
    Quote from lukelog

The day D3 is "cartoony" is when I can play as a looney toon character. Bugs bunny will be a beast.

gooby pls

IDK if it's spoiler but... this room will put to rest your thoughts of the game being childish and I don't think anything can top it atm until game releases.

ok nm it's just a random dungeon area.
    Quote from NecroButcher

Quote from lukelog

gooby pls

Wow, for all my hate of dolan, this actually made me lmao. +1 internets for you, sir.
    Well I played the beta today, and I retract my statement...it is awesome!
    i just think your standards are to high, its your fault you don't like it. at least your beta works....
    As an anecdote, my girlfriend find it a bit disgusting at times.

Well when she sees me playing Dead space she wants me to stop immediately so thats another level for sure :P
    Sorry but you aren't the huge fan you say you are, get over yourself. You clearly didn't like the series that much if you couldn't be bothered to follow the development for half a decade like many of us here did. And if you had followed the develoment, even just a few times, like an interested fan this question would have never came up. At this point even if you don't have the beta you could still know just as much about the game as anyone else.
    Quote from raginkajan

Hi everyone,

Let me start off by saying that I am a long time player of Diablo 1 and 2 and a huge fan. What really immerses me in the Diablo experience is not only the horror lore attached, but the uncertain atmosphere that you live in through your character.

The art style of the environments can add a lot of fear, anxiety and bravery into the player, which is something that concerns me with Diablo 3. Looking at the "art style" if you will, the graphics...the game doesn't have that same horror appeal. And if I can be honest...it looks a little childish to me, almost like a cartoon. And when you have that sort of atmosphere, you can certainly expect some of the game elements to reflect their environment.

Just my thoughts!

Think back to when you first played D1 an D2... over 12 years ago, or close to it. I bring this up because for me personally, being 11 or 12 when I first played diablo had a huge impact on how I perceived the game, not only because I was young and thus more easily frightened, but also because I had NO idea what diablo was. Didn't read any forums or strat guides, didn't even know any friends who played it. Therefore I was always like 'whoaaa wtf is this!'.

If you are perceiving the game as more childish now, or not as scary, it's because you've grown up, gotten older. The graphics imho is the best style they could have possibly chosen; It'l be timeless. It looks fantastic and detailed and has a painted style to it, and never in a decade will people be playing it thinking 'well more realistic games have come out, this one's so outdated!'. This has been true not only for video games but for movies and tv shows as well. Just think about cartoons, they are always classic in their style; Rarely ever changed. Whereas a movie is constantly re-done or re-shot to look better and better because it's going for the realistic look, meaning it degrades over time as better looking stuff comes out.

TLDR; muahahaha it comes out in 3.5 weeks! There's nothing you can do about it now!!!!!! muahahahaha
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Yeah last time i looked at the word ''Childish'', it didnt include kicking off a zombie 10 meters away while ripping some others in pieces. Kicking the shit out of hordes of demons in a Dark environment, sometimes you can barely see whats coming at you.

Hello Kitty Adventures. Childish ? yes

Diablo 3 ? no
    Quote from raginkajan

Hi everyone,

Let me start off by saying that I am a long time player of Diablo 1 and 2 and a huge fan. What really immerses me in the Diablo experience is not only the horror lore attached, but the uncertain atmosphere that you live in through your character.

The art style of the environments can add a lot of fear, anxiety and bravery into the player, which is something that concerns me with Diablo 3. Looking at the "art style" if you will, the graphics...the game doesn't have that same horror appeal. And if I can be honest...it looks a little childish to me, almost like a cartoon. And when you have that sort of atmosphere, you can certainly expect some of the game elements to reflect their environment.

Just my thoughts!

Are you saying that after having played through the beta? I'm interested to know.

I can almost see how one can think that by looking at some pics of New Tristram, but after playing through it that fear concern should be dispelled.
    How dare you use the same account avatar as me, thief!
    Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."

"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
    I don't understand how can people confuse pastel with cartoon. There is nothing cartoony about Diablo 3.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes