Mac Os players?

Sadly, since around Patch 14, I've barely been able to keep the beta running on my Macbook Pro. My laptop meets all the recommended specs - Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, nvidia 9600M GT. The biggest annoyance for me is that the beta was running absolutely perfectly before Patch 14; now it's almost unplayable for me. It's not the rubber-banding issue either - the game just grinds to a halt and it feels as though I'm dragging my character through molasses. And this is on the absolute lowest settings mind you. It's worrying me quite a bit for release, and I'm hoping the actual release will at least run smoothly, even if I still have to lower the settings.

It's worrying me quite a bit for release, and I'm hoping the actual release will at least run smoothly, even if I still have to lower the settings.

If lowering your settings is acceptable to you, then more power to you - but if you'd be willing to go through the hassle of installing Boot camp and Windows 7, I can't recommend this enough. It gives such a performance boost (at least it did so for me), but as I said - it is a hassle. This is a solution, at least until they fix the OS X-performance.

If lowering your settings is acceptable to you, then more power to you - but if you'd be willing to go through the hassle of installing Boot camp and Windows 7, I can't recommend this enough. It gives such a performance boost (at least it did so for me), but as I said - it is a hassle. This is a solution, at least until they fix the OS X-performance.

Hi mate, I got my mac for xmas and have always been a windows users. Love my mac to bits and its been a great transformation.
    How do you go around installing bootcamp? will i need a windows 7 license? will it effect performance with mac os?
    Thanks for all the comments guys,
    I'm just hoping for good performance on release.

Maybe I'll contact Blizzard about it.

Hi mate, I got my mac for xmas and have always been a windows users. Love my mac to bits and its been a great transformation.
    How do you go around installing bootcamp? will i need a windows 7 license? will it effect performance with mac os?

You have a program on your Mac called Bootcamp Assistant, just search for it - in there you can partition your harddrive to create a Bootcamp partition, you can burn a driver CD and all that jazz. It's really straightforward. Yes, you will need a Windows 7 license. No, it won't in the least bit affect your performance in OS X, all it will do it take a bit of your disc space (depending of how much you deem necessary when you partition in Bootcamp Assistant).
    Installing Windows 7 isn't much of a hassle, but it is annoying having to reboot your computer and load Windows 7 every time you want to play Diablo 3 (with decent performance).
    So, I contacted Blizzard and they assured me it's all being worked on.
    All problems on mac during Beta are getting taken care of and there will be a fully functional Mac version of the game at launch.

Those guys really saved me countless sleepless nights :P
    Ok I wasn't going to but I just have to. Don't game on Mac.
    Nah joke aside it's kind of pathetic how many of the people with Macs (or at least the ones in this thread) don't even list the specs of their machine and just call it by the brand. If any non Mac user did that he would be called on it instantly. Like sure it will run on Mac cause blizzard will support it but for the love of god learn the specs of your pc before asking stuff or commenting on these things instead of thinking just because you got a Mac from some year it might run on it (Just because it's from that year doesn't mean it have some exact specs).

So to sum it up - Blizzard will probably always support Mac as long as it's not as small of the market as linux. And a Mac is no better than windows computers when it comes to specs vs brand/model.
    The first 24 hours of Beta patch 16 were unplayable (less than 1 FPS) for me but since then the game has run mostly OK. I haven't noticed much FPS slowdown. Occasionally I "rubberband" or jump backwards. I'm running a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro; i7 2.66 Ghz; 8GB Memory; I installed a OWC SSD last fall.

Also, how does one check the FPS in diablo 3? Do I need FRAPS or is there a built-in mechanism in D3 I'm not aware of? I have a mac, so is there a mac alternative to FRAPS?

Also, how does one check the FPS in diablo 3? Do I need FRAPS or is there a built-in mechanism in D3 I'm not aware of? I have a mac, so is there a mac alternative to FRAPS?

Command-R was added in this patch.

Thanks for all the comments guys,
    I'm just hoping for good performance on release.

Maybe I'll contact Blizzard about it.

If you really have a 256Mb video coupled with a 2Ghz CPU (from a previous post)... I doubt you'll get good performance tbh if you can even play at all... I don't know mac, but these numbers look incredibly weak.

Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, nvidia 9600M GT

Maybe on low, this looks also pretty weak :(

So, I contacted Blizzard and they assured me it's all being worked on.
    All problems on mac during Beta are getting taken care of and there will be a fully functional Mac version of the game at launch.

Those guys really saved me countless sleepless nights :P

Very reassuring - thanks for sharing this!
    Patch 16 is running great on my 3-year-old Mac with an ATI 4870 GPU. Works fine on the 2011 21" iMac, too. (Works better on the older one, actually, but that's a function of sheer CPU more than anything.)

However, anyone with a Mac that came with nVidia graphics or Intel graphics may not like the results. nVidia's great in PC gaming, but their Mac drivers suck, and they won't fix them, ergo Apple isn't putting them in new Macs anymore.

The 13" that's running horribly above? Intel graphics, before they did the Intel HD, I think. Not going to work well.

It's not Diablo 3, it's the GPU. Sorry. Same with most of the '08 Macbooks. nVidia. 'nuff said.

If you have an nVidia GPU, you're better off running Bootcamp and Windows, frankly. nVidia's fault, not Apple's.

So to sum it up - Blizzard will probably always support Mac as long as it's not as small of the market as linux. And a Mac is no better than windows computers when it comes to specs vs brand/model.

Blizzard has supported Mac since 1994, at least with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. I don't think they released Starcraft's Mac version the same day as the PC one, but it was very close behind it.

They simul-released D2:LOD in 2002 or so with Mac and PC versions, and every game since has been simultaneous release Mac and PC, including WoW.

Everyone knows that Blizzard likes profit, so, I submit that the Mac market is more profitable than some of the trolls here think it is, since Blizzard has been supporting it that long. If it wasn't profitable, they wouldn't support it to that degree.
    Is there anyone here with an Intel Core 2 Duo Mac running Windows? Just trying to gather some info on how games perform before I take the plunge.

Nah joke aside it's kind of pathetic how many of the people with Macs (or at least the ones in this thread) don't even list the specs of their machine and just call it by the brand. If any non Mac user did that he would be called on it instantly.
    The point here (at least the point I'm trying to make) is not what specs we have on our machines to get poor performance. The point is we get lower performance since the last patch. No. Matter. The. Specs.

Like sure it will run on Mac cause blizzard will support it but for the love of god learn the specs of your pc before asking stuff or commenting on these things instead of thinking just because you got a Mac from some year it might run on it (Just because it's from that year doesn't mean it have some exact specs).
    Mate. That's exactly what it means. ;) If I say f.e I have the 2011 iMac 27" with the upgraded graphics, you KNOW what specs I have (except the CPU speed, which is slightly different). If I say I have the 2010 13" Macbook Pro non-upgraded, you KNOW what specs that machine have.

don't even list the specs of their machine and just call it by the brand.

Due to the limited setups that are sold of each years model it actually work. It is not like saying "I HAZ DELL. IT HAVE BIG SCREEN.", if i say i am running a summer 2009 iMac 27inch everyone who actually know anything know what i mean, it saves time (even if it is a tad lazy).

Feel free to insult Mac for the overpriced, overadvertised stuff it is, but on all other matters, please be informed before you open your mouth. Thank you.

Game ran fine until Patch 16, its a "know issue" but we got no ETA. Feels a bit strange new bugs get added to beta builds with less then a month until release, but yeah, hopefully it will get solved.
    To the people saying that not listing your specs because it's a mac is copletely bollocks considering the same goes for basicly every pre built pc on the market (now I know it comes down to how some people know way too much about mac but whatever) and is a silly excuse.
    Especialy considering non mac users would never identify their pc based on the screen (this is not a hate this is a matter of how mac is marketing their products which is briliant tbh)
    Another reason I said this was because yes I know they are limited in configurations (beside the mac pro which is basicly a propper computer just double the price) there are configurations and when you buy a model doesn't mean it's the newest model (in smaller countries I guess this is more of an issues).

And btw I didn't insult mac for being overpriced cause I gave up on that argument ages ago when people arguing that paying double the price was worth it for having a "supperior" os

To the people saying that not listing your specs because it's a mac is copletely bollocks considering the same goes for basicly every pre built pc on the market (now I know it comes down to how some people know way too much about mac but whatever) and is a silly excuse.
    Especialy considering non mac users would never identify their pc based on the screen (this is not a hate this is a matter of how mac is marketing their products which is briliant tbh)
    Another reason I said this was because yes I know they are limited in configurations (beside the mac pro which is basicly a propper computer just double the price) there are configurations and when you buy a model doesn't mean it's the newest model (in smaller countries I guess this is more of an issues).

Dude, stop trolling.

Dude, stop trolling.

It's not trolling when it's true. all pre built pcs basicly have a serial number and from there about 90% of the time there is no difference on other models and on the 10% it's basicly some minor thing like wireless card.
    Funny how every mac related post on a gaming forum explodes into a mac vs windows war xD
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes